the_mighty_monarch's Sword of Sorcery #3 - Family Reunion; Chapter IV: Iron Trolls review

Lands At the Edge of Reality

This issue isn't bogged down by as much stiff politics as the previous one, or at least they're still there but not as stiff. They mesh much better with the action and characters, and aren't as confusing. I'm getting more and more interested in the various going-on of this mysterious land, and REALLY intrigued by the revelation about it's connection to Earth. But at the same time I'm kinda hoping this series stays in Gemworld for a while. There's a LOT going on in this world, and it's going to take quite a while to work through. Christy Marx is really setting up a massive world of potential with a wide set of subplots scattered about.

Aaron Lopresti's artwork continues to be very solid, representing everything very well. It's extremely fitting for this old style world. The colors are striking and bright, but the tone is almost that of an older fantasy comic. The blending of the old tone and the modern sheen makes this book look just right for what it is.

Amaya is taking to her training well, and we've already seen her strong moral values shine through. Up until now Amaya's merely been getting dragged along from place to place, being fed the plot and forced to catch up. But she's finally beginning to stand up and take charge. Her training's going well, and she's got real potential for greatness. On top of that, she's got a take-charge attitude that leads her to boldly stand up to her bitch aunt, and jump headfirst into the surprise ending.

Beowulf.... goddamnit. I love this Beowulf. The revelations in this issue are utterly mind blowing, and Wiglaf finally reaches the end of his journey to become a man. The artwork is AWESOME, the action is crazy, Beowulf is a ridiculous badass. I don't think I can gush any more than I already have previously. But what really got me this issue was, with the knowledge that the co-feature ends here and a new one begins next issue, was the promise that BEOWULF WILL RETURN IN 2013. HE WILL BE BACK. I'M ECSTATIC OVER THAT NEWS BECAUSE THIS HAS BEEN JUST SO DAMN INCREDIBLE.

In Conclusion: 5/5

Sword of Sorcery is another unique niche series that probably wouldn't have had a chance pre-New 52. I bet it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like hard fantasy, I'm pretty sure you'll love this. And also there's Beowulf which is incredible, so these first four issues are insanely worth it at the very least.