undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

What a strange and wonderful transition we’ve had from Scott Snyder’s bizarre, cosmic take on Swamp Thing to Charles Soule’s closer, more intimate look at the man behind the moss. Last issue left off with the Seeder, a strange man from Alec Holland’s past, challenging him for the right to be the avatar of the Green and this issue picks up, appropriately enough, with that very battle. I really enjoyed how this played out, eschewing the usual superhero/villain smackdown and letting the two really display the extent to which they could use a very similar power set in some very different ways. It’s compact, it’s well-paced, and it ends satisfactorily, it’s a very solid issue.

Part of that is certainly due to Jesus Saiz and Matthew Wilson on linework and colors respectively. This art has adjusted wonderfully to the more focused, character-based stories with clean, crisp visuals and well-defined character outlines. The action deserves special mention as well as a lot of it is very abstracted, but never confusing. Swamp Thing’s powers are somewhat difficult to represent with any kind of verve or action in a stationary panel, but Saiz and Wilson make them look positively thrilling. For a book that takes place across such diverse settings, everything feels fluid and easy to follow.

The Bad

I enjoyed this book, but there’s just something missing. Something ringing hollow. For how much we’re focusing on character over cosmic, and even bringing new players to the field, I feel like Swamp Thing himself is becoming increasingly less-defined as a character. They’ve been doing some intriguing things with the dynamic between the Green and Alec Holland, but I feel like Holland as a character is slipping further and further away with less and less definition and Swamp Thing, without his human side, isn’t a terribly compelling character.

The Verdict

I’m still enjoying Soule’s take on the character very much and I still very much recommend this issue if, for no other reason, than I feel like it has a very novel take on the character’s powerset and some absolutely incredible visuals to back it up. The problem I list above is definitely one of long-term that could be solved gradually issue-to-issue, making this easily recommendable.

KryptonSabbath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really want to start reading this series but I'm unsure where would be a good jumping on point?

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My FAVORITE new 52!! I're read them all, I recommend you start with the seeder arc. Or maybe just wait till the seeder arc is done, but snyders run was awesome too.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By longbowhunter

Really excited to see where Soule takes it from here. Jesus Saiz is rocking this book. I'd love to buy a page of his art from this series.

KryptonSabbath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@al_capown: I've enjoy Scott's run on Batman along with other titles of his. Kicking myself for not picking this up at the start of New 52. Does the Seeder arc start at #2 annual or #24?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By lifeboy

I actually dropped this during mr paqettue and mr snyders run. But don't blame me, they cancelled my home subscri ption. But now I got it and a lot of others thru pre-ordering, so I'm back on the swampthing series starting with issue 27!

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BattheMan008

#24, or at least that's when the Seeder's identity was revealed.

@kryptonsabbath said:

@al_capown: I've enjoy Scott's run on Batman along with other titles of his. Kicking myself for not picking this up at the start of New 52. Does the Seeder arc start at #2 annual or #24?

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By manwithoutshame

This issue was great. One of the most unique books in the New 52.

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watsonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing "cosmic" implies he took Swamp Thing into outer space, which he never did.

Calling Charle Soule's Swamp Thing "closer, intimate" is just false. Snyder's Swamp Thing was much more intimate than Soule's.

Watsonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" I feel like Holland as a character is slipping further and further away with less and less definition and Swamp Thing"

So, you didn't read the end of the book then?

DuffBrew85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By DuffBrew85

@kryptonsabbath: You can start with #21 and catch all of the Seeder stuff. But if you want a background on seeder, you'll want to read Alan Moore's run of Swamp Things

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I never thought I would like a book about a walking salad. I'm glad I gave this series a shot

Caladorcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonsabbath: I started on the villains month issue and I'm not lost at all....I'm not sure if thats the best place to start, but it worked for me. I'm loving the series. : )

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15 dernman  Online

I kinda found the ending predictable. Not saying it wasn't good just predictable.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tomlikesfries

Soule's been killing it lately. Much better than anything Snyder has done in the book quite honestly. Another great issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.