Off My Mind: How Many Swamp Things Are There?

• 69 results
#51 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
" @Billy Batson: I think he did it because of Swamp Thing return in Brightest Day.
"
Yeah.  Gotta say that I didn't see that one coming.  Then again...it was completely out of left field...kind of.  Man...I still don't know what to think of it.
#52 Edited by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

I still like swamp thing I just like when he is a  traditional hero monster like the hulk rather than more horror elemental which I am not a fan of with swamp thing. If more super heroic than he would been  my favorite plant themed superhero but  thats kinda coming back in brightest day plus he is going to be the white lantern I think so cant wait for the last issue. The movie, the show and his team ups with DC heroes is my favorite moments for me rather than most people saying Alan Moore even thou he is a good writer and made good swamp thing stories. 

#53 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole thing that made Swamp Thing appealing was that despite his hideous appearance he was a kind soul, I hated the arcs that made him into a vicious killer or an outright bloodthirsty character, those writers did the character a major injustice. He's not a bloodthirsty vigilante, he is a tragic individual who fights the evils of corrupt individuals and a truly evil being (Anton Arcane) and not some murderous monster, Swamp Thing is complex, but not a Punisher style vigilante or a berserk monster.... He is an intellectually gifted man who must live in seclusion due to his own fear of how society will react to him.

#54 Posted by dangermart (156 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read the Nancy Ann Collins Swampy - so she really undid the Alan Moore stories? That's really brave or just plain daft. Maybe both, actually.
#55 Posted by dangermart (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Silcuts wrote: Moore's version depended on Constantine almost like the "messiah" character in his stories, with John in Vertigo and Alec set to return to the DCU, there has to be a new version.

I disagree - while the Vertigo books had a different imprint, it was still the DCU, surely? Or was there a storyline in which the world split into two worlds?    I understood that when Swampy or John were seen in one imprint, the stories merely ignored aspects of the other imprint that weren't wanted eg no JLA members in Vertigo books, no tuber sex in DC books.

#56 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@dangermart said:
" I never read the Nancy Ann Collins Swampy - so she really undid the Alan Moore stories? That's really brave or just plain daft. Maybe both, actually. "
I have read every issue of her Swamp Thing except for (ironically) that annual mentioned...but I don't believe anything was necessarily undone...she just changed the tone of the book...however, she got on the book years after Moore had left (the article left out Veitch's incompleted run, #65-87 which introduced the concept of Tefe and Wheeler's run which lasted from #88 to #109 and developed the Parliament of Trees) and, at least in my case, Moore's established feel for the series was long forgotten by the time I got to Collins...every writer's run is completely different though...I've read all of the last three volumes of Swamp Thing and of the nine main writers across those volumes, none were really similar at all IMO

@dangermart said:
"

Silcuts wrote: Moore's version depended on Constantine almost like the "messiah" character in his stories, with John in Vertigo and Alec set to return to the DCU, there has to be a new version.

I disagree - while the Vertigo books had a different imprint, it was still the DCU, surely? Or was there a storyline in which the world split into two worlds?    I understood that when Swampy or John were seen in one imprint, the stories merely ignored aspects of the other imprint that weren't wanted eg no JLA members in Vertigo books, no tuber sex in DC books.

"
Although they could be called the same universe, it's different in that there's no crossover effect...for example, the Swamp Thing of Mark Millar's run had the ENTIRE PLANET under siege with an ongoing threat of humanity's extermination for months...if they were really in the same universe, there would have to have been some crossover, in fact it probably would have been the event of the year...but it wasn't...at Vertigo, Swamp Thing could be his immensely powerful self and not cause huge repercussions in the DCU (kind of like Tim Hunter or Lucifer Morningstar)...the Vertigo books with DC-owned properties often have huge worldwide calamities that the DCU ignored (Hellblazer: Staring at the Wall)...and when DC reincorporates characters into their universe after a Vertigo reboot, they tend to change everything back to how it was
#57 Posted by Justinpants21 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is probably the best story i've ever read and i've been reading comics for 20 years

#58 Posted by dangermart (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Aztek, I have ventured back to Swamp Thing and Hellblazer occasionally. I tried the first few Tefe stories, but wasn't overly engaged, and I was enjoying Hellblazer for a while under Mike Carey and Leonardo Manco, but dropped off after Denise Mina's first issue. Then I was enjoying, I think it was Andy Diggle's run, but kept falling behind and stopped - I finally gave away about 20 unread copies to a colleague last week. The last I read was  #250, but talk of Milligan's run, and Shade the Changing Man, has me intrigued.        
#59 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@dangermart said:
" Aztek, I have ventured back to Swamp Thing and Hellblazer occasionally. I tried the first few Tefe stories, but wasn't overly engaged, and I was enjoying Hellblazer for a while under Mike Carey and Leonardo Manco, but dropped off after Denise Mina's first issue. Then I was enjoying, I think it was Andy Diggle's run, but kept falling behind and stopped - I finally gave away about 20 unread copies to a colleague last week. The last I read was  #250, but talk of Milligan's run, and Shade the Changing Man, has me intrigued.         "
to be fair, I don't think the Tefe series is really that similar to the other Swamp Thing books...but BKV has yet to fail making a great story in my reading so far...I'm not sure what my favorite Swamp Thing run outside of that series is because most of the runs had dips in quality...I'd like Millar's a lot more if it weren't for the horribly cheesy ending and the whole "new elemental power of the month" thing (although at least the challenges were all pretty unique from one another)

ugh Denise Mina's stuff was sooo terrible...but #251 is where Milligan's run starts and it just keeps getting better and better for me

and although he does appear in Hellblazer for a few issues...I will say that the actual series from the 90's by Milligan (Shade, the Changing Man) is currently my second favorite comic of all time...not saying that it's better then some of the classics I have thoroughly enjoyed (like The Sandman) but that it's closer to my heart for personal reasons but it's still something I think many others could enjoy, it deserves much more buzz then it gets
#60 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

oh G-Man, the timing of this article. It's almost as if u knew what was coming next : P

#61 Posted by darth bul (130 posts) - - Show Bio

he is the chosen one

#62 Posted by KnightlyTales (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for those who laughed at my post several issues ago when I suggested that Swampy was going to play a part in Brightest Day - HAH!

But to go with the forum, I did prefer the period when Swampy discovered his part of the Green. He actually became part of the DCU hero group at that time, dealing with Batman, the Dominators, etc.

#63 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@GraveSp said:
"I honestly think that the Alan Moore one is the best

"
#64 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4774 posts) - - Show Bio

i been seriously wanting to know this for a while

haha

(+)

#65 Posted by TDK_1997 (14718 posts) - - Show Bio

The best Swamp Thing for me is the one from Alan Moore

#66 Posted by Snore_El (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore's version hands down. The whole plant elemental makes Swamp Thing what he is. Otherwise he's just another horror figure with an unbelievable and weak origin good for a one-shot in the House of Mystery or something and little else.

#67 Posted by MAGIC_HORSE (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for answering my questions on the podcast ( Including the special voiceover you did and highlighting the added "u's" us English add to words) This was a great read and I am defiantly going to check out some of Moores stories.

Grant

#68 Posted by 7DEADPOOL7 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 is obviously the best.

#69 Edited by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravesp said:

I honestly think that the Alan Moore one is the best

Easily. Everything Moore touches trumps everything else in comicdom.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.