New Creative Team for SWAMP THING Announced

Posted by G-Man (34033 posts) - - Show Bio

Last month Scott Snyder announced he was leaving SWAMP THING in order to focus on BATMAN, THE WAKE and the upcoming Superman comic with Jim Lee. What we've been wondering is who will be replacing him.

Today it was announced that Charles Soule, writer/creator of 27, will be taking over the writing duties. In an interview over at io9, Soule hinted to what we could expect:

Part of the fun in working in a big shared universe like the DCU is, well, sharing the universe. So, I can say for certain that Swamp Thing is going to have some fun encounters with other heroes and villains, although it will always be his book and his story. After all, it's his name on the cover. Issues 19 and 20 are designed to bring Alec a little deeper into the DCU and show where he stands, more or less, but I've got a whole list of things I want to do with him that don't involve the larger universe as directly.

As for the image above and the artist responsible, that is the cover to issue #19 by Andy Brase.

Soule mentions having big shoes to fill. Indeed he does. It's going to be an exciting time to see what's coming up after Rotworld.

Staff
#1 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

Cooooool!!! I was going to drop this title when Snyder left...but that art is wicked. FINALLY a portrayal of Scarecrow in the N52 that I might not be disappointed by.

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

whoa..that is an awesome cover...not sure who the writter is but the cover will make me buy the issue to find out :p

#3 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's hope this team can keep the quality coming.

#4 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Cooooool!!! I was going to drop this title when Snyder left...but that art is wicked. FINALLY a portrayal of Scarecrow in the N52 that I might not be disappointed by.

Yanick Paquette is also leaving the series on issue 18. I'm really bummed by that.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22541 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give this a shot but it almost feels like Swamp Thing and Animal Man should end once their creative teams are done with their stories because I really don't feel like these stories can be topped in the same volume

#6 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, I'm just hoping the quality of the comic can remain intact. Kinda hard to top Snyder really with him leaving.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (24372 posts) - - Show Bio
Please be good, please, please.
#8 Edited by monitor_earthprime (82 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Swamp Thing run into other plant people:

Black Orchid, Poison Ivy, Floronic Man and Garbage Man (just for fun).

(I mean outside of the Rotworld Universe)

#9 Posted by jwalser3 (5006 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so nervous, I hope it doesn't go down hill. I was thinking about dropping it after RotWorld.

#10 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

His direction kind of already sounds uninteresting, but i definitely will give his first few issues a shot.

#11 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

AHHH! I was going to drop this but now I'm really tempted to keep going with it.

#12 Posted by longbowhunter (7082 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read 27 but I know a lot of people were fond of it. Usually I'm quick to drop a title if my favorite writer leaves but Swamp Thing has always been a favorite character if mine and I really wanna support new talent coming to DC. I'm sticking with this for a while. BTW, Kano will be the artist on this book.

#13 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Never read 27 but I know a lot of people were fond of it. Usually I'm quick to drop a title if my favorite writer leaves but Swamp Thing has always been a favorite character if mine and I really wanna support new talent coming to DC. I'm sticking with this for a while. BTW, Kano will be the artist on this book.

Awesome cover, hope he continues to do them. I'm a fan of Kano so I'll have no problem with him doing interiors. Also I've heard nothing but good about 27 so I'm likely gonna give this fair shake. I'll Miss Snyder and co. but I'm glad to see indy talent being given the choice to bring their voices to big two titles.

#14 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont drop it because Snyders leaving guys! Give it a shot first!

#15 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

He seems to have lost his antlers and improved powers something happens at the end of Rotworld or is this really just an image of his older self?

#16 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all, that's an awesome cover and piece of art. Love it.

Secondly, I wasn't really looking forward to reading this series after Snyder - not saying I would have stopped reading directly but I wasn't expecting anything. This has changed now. I enjoyed 27 very much and believe having Soule taking over Swamp could (hopefully will) work well. I'm impressed by DC making this decision as Soule is still quite new (27 being his one and only mini-series so far). I wish him a great start... lets rock the Swamp Thing!

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (58023 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

I'll give this a shot but it almost feels like Swamp Thing and Animal Man should end once their creative teams are done with their stories because I really don't feel like these stories can be topped in the same volume

Don't see why not when it's happened before. Millar had an excellent Swamp Thing run in the same volume that was written by Alan Moore and Peter Milligan and Jamie Delano too in Animal Man after Morrison.
BB

#18 Posted by comic_shaun (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that cover in this this article, looks like Swamp Thing is going to get a heavier emphasise on the arthouse illustrations, which I feel is direly needed. Yannick's art is extremely vibrant and details but still retains that modern hero vibe, which slightly puts me off. Someone more akin to use older illustrative techniques might be a good choice, down the line.

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14892 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this continues to be awesome!

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v read 27 and it is pretty good but I don't think Soule has the star power to keep pepole reading Swamp Thing that normally wouldn't read him anyway, it probably won't last that long after Snyder leaves although I will still read it.

#21 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

I was ready to drop after Snyder finished his run, but Soule is saying all the right things to keep me interested. Hope he can deliver.

#22 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be sticking around to see what happens.

#23 Posted by RedHush1 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

We've been seeing a lot of mentioning and seeing especially in Swamp Thing Annual Number One that how Floronic man ties into the Green so I am hoping the new writer will go further into that

#24 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn that looks good...

#25 Posted by RockyIII (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I was planning to drop ST after Snyder leaves, but I am pleasantly surprised at the positive reaction people are having with the announcement of the new creative team. I will wait for the reviews of their first two issues and then decide if I should stick with it or not. I need to make room for Lemire's Green Arrow in my pull list somehow. On a side note, DC is sooo random when choosing creative teams..too many highs and lows.

#26 Posted by knightofthechronicle (689 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, is that Scarecrow?

#27 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@RockyIII said:

I was planning to drop ST after Snyder leaves, but I am pleasantly surprised at the positive reaction people are having with the announcement of the new creative team. I will wait for the reviews of their first two issues and then decide if I should stick with it or not. I need to make room for Lemire's Green Arrow in my pull list somehow. On a side note, DC is sooo random when choosing creative teams..too many highs and lows.

I wouldn't call them random, it's just that every month editorial seems to clash with writers so they have to fire a bunch of their A-list talent and replace them with fresh faces. It seems to be working well so far, though.

#28 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really glad that DC is bringing more new indie writers into the fold. Its good for the company. Also good to see that they're expanding the roles of some of the writers they currently have. James Tynion taking over Red Hood and the Outlaws is a great thing. i hope they give Josh Fialkov another book once he's finished up on the Alpha miniseries for Marvel.

#29 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@monitor_earthprime said:

I would like to see Swamp Thing run into other plant people:

Black Orchid, Poison Ivy, Floronic Man and Garbage Man (just for fun).

(I mean outside of the Rotworld Universe)

He already has run into Poison Ivy. At least, in the RotWorld alternate future.

#30 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Yet more of a reason to stay on the book. Kano's art was great in the 0 issue and his Arcane was both hulkish, grotesque and sexy in a zombie rotten I'm going to hurl for a week sort of way.

#31 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6869 posts) - - Show Bio

sad to see Snyder leave the book BUT This looks awesome!!!

#32 Posted by Floronic_Man (12 posts) - - Show Bio

That cover alone has guaranteed I'll stay around for at least the first few issues. Hope it can keep up with Snyders level of excellence. Swamp Thing and Animal Man are some of the few remaining DC books from the 15 or so I started with from the New 52 Roll out.

#33 Posted by Green_Tea_Light (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm - The old Swamp Thing design is back?

I dropped off at the beginning of Rotworld (along with Animal Man), would rather read that as a trade.

#34 Posted by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope he does good.

#35 Posted by RunnerGuy (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, On the real. It is disappointing to see Scott and Yanick leave, however I knew this would happen eventually, I just did not think it would happen so soon. I thought Yanick and Scott, would be on for at least 3 story arcs and not 2. To me though, the first 18 issues feel like only 1 story arc because the first 7 issues were about building up Alec Holland to be Swamp Thing, the issues following were actually Swamp Thing in action, this is where I thought Scott and Yanick would at least have a couple of story arcs with Swamp Thing in it, and not call it a day after the first one is done lol. I do have to say I enjoyed it, but as with everything else, the only certainity we have is change- and there's nothing wrong with that, it was bound to happen sooner or later. But characters like Swamp Thing are timeless, characters like Swamp Thing transcend the "normal superhero" status quo, characters like Swamp Thing, for the both the reader and the writer are the most: intriguing, engaging, interesting, thought provoking, idea presenting, philosophical type characters that provide the reader and writer with both thought, brainfood, and entertainment all rolled into one comic. Swamp Thing and his story does not fit into any normal superhero bracket, there is so much story potiential with Swamp Thing, anything can happen with his story and that's what makes it an intriguing book! With switching writers' and artists', it will be interesting to see their take on on our character... Sometimes I wish the fans could submit the stories that we'd like to see, I'm sure we all got stories we would like to see played out in a comic... and when new writers and artists hop on, it's like seeing a fellow fan of the craft hop on to a book and see how "thier story" plays out.

#36 Edited by dannonzzz (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally see Snyder at my local comic shop all the time

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.