Follow

Swamp Thing

Character » Swamp Thing appears in 1048 issues.

Botanist Alec Holland became the avatar of the Green, known as the Swamp Thing, following his death in a swamp as a result of a horrific accident. With the ability to control any form of plant life, Swamp Thing uses his powers to protect both the human and the plant worlds.

I totally get why Alan Moore hates DC

• 52 results
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini

I mean they let things like this be done to his work...

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JonesDeini

Wouldn't mind seeing another Live Action take similar to the TV series. Used to love that as a kid.

Benuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Benuben

As much as I respect Alan Moore as a writer, he hates everything. I mean, he hated DC, for using his work on Green Lantern (the Blackest Night issue), despite the fact, that this is happening in comics all the time and he has been doing absolutely same thing with Swamp Thing.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Silkcuts

@Benuben: Moore has been mistreated by DC compared to other writers.

Moore was censored with a joke ad in LoEG. Moore was screwed with ownership of certain properties since DC will forever keep Watchmen and V in print.

DC will shelve his Twilight of the Superheroes story only to allow a composite of his plots in Kingdom Come to be released.

Moore just wants to be left alone but DC keeps poking the bear. Those who have met him have nice things to say. It is those who side with DC "Claim" he is angry all the time. Ask Jose' Villarrubia about Alan Moore. He has nothing but praise for him.

JonesDeini makes a point that Swamp Thing was a mature comic, but DC had to go corporate and tell to kids. DC was too greedy dealing with Moore. More likely would of kept doing more ABC stuff if DC would of kept to their agreement with Jim Lee to leave Moore alone.

Alan Moore is just misunderstood by most.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone

Nah, you are correct he should take a torch to their homes.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonesDeini

@Silkcuts said:

Moore was censored with a joke ad in LoEG. Moore was screwed with ownership of certain properties since DC will forever keep Watchmen and V in print.

DC will shelve his Twilight of the Superheroes story only to allow a composite of his plots in Kingdom Come to be released.

Moore just wants to be left alone but DC keeps poking the bear. Those who have met him have nice things to say. It is those who side with DC "Claim" he is angry all the time. Ask Jose' Villarrubia about Alan Moore. He has nothing but praise for him.

JonesDeini makes a point that Swamp Thing was a mature comic, but DC had to go corporate and tell to kids. DC was too greedy dealing with Moore. More likely would of kept doing more ABC stuff if DC would of kept to their agreement with Jim Lee to leave Moore alone.

Tabernacle preach, folk. Seriously, it could be said that he's a bit of a curmudgeon, but understandably so. I've always seen Moore as a delightfully cantankerous and eccentric uncle. I'll admit he has his moments of, what can be interpreted as, bitter old man rage. He, admittedly, never read Johns use of Mogo/Swamp Thing/John Constantine but blasted him for it (I agree with what he said on the whole, Johns did some horrid shite), but it's nonetheless unfair to judge it without reading it.

I just learned tonight that Moore didn't intend/want Killing Joke to be cannon. But the popularity of the story made them make it so despite his protest. Really adds a new angle to this whole, Batgirl situation.

His hatred for the film adaptations of his works is understandable to me as well. I know for a fact he HATES the Swamp Thing films, or at least the sequel which incorporated none of the work from his landmark run. I also learned tonight that the first films success actually built momentum and interest in the character which lead to his run. I would actually love to see another TV Series which is based on Moore's work on a network like Showtime or HBO.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silkcuts

@JonesDeini: The times have changed and when Moore did Swamp Thing people cared about environment. Now with peoples low attention span and a need to fulfill their me centered drives more then ever a Swamp Thing show I don't think can last. This is why there is no Captain Planet movie. I rather enjoyed the Snyder Swamp Thing, yes I admit it. But once his run is done, watch the series get canceled. I am sure its the creative team selling and carrying the book. If the character sold then the Swamp Thing mythos would still be Vertigo.

Back to lack of sales. People need to stop being late adapters and bloody trust me more. If people bought Hellblazer when I first started reviewing the world would see how good Peter Milligan's run is and his run will be better then JLD guaranteed since it is not catered to the masses but is organic.

Yes Moore is not proud of The Killing Joke, it is one of the reason he doesn't approve of DC. Since it is all about sales with them. Do you ever see them push the Clayface story he did? No as often since it is not as controversial, but it is still a great story about fantasy and love.

Moore gets censored yet Morrison can confuse the masses with R.I.P. and Final Crisis. How is that fair to call Moore a bitter old man when Morrison is the Prince of the Kingdom. Don't get me wrong I am glad Morrison has his freedom. But Moore is mistreated compared to how important he is to the medium.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

all I see from Moore's side is "wah wah wah wah wah".....seriously....everything he did for DC belonged to DC and they can see fit to do with it as they please....this is pretty much the same thing that's going on with the Shuster and Siegel and the Kirbys....if you work for a company like Marvel and DC and you create something for them...then they own it and you shouldn't get pissed in a few years when they change it or you aren't getting payed enough

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ReVamp

@Silkcuts said:

To be fair, Marvel is worse on the corporate side IMO, its just that the one DC f**ked over a widely recognized writer... Marvel didn't.

And what agreement are we talking about?

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@Silkcuts

Actually, what I've heard from customers about the new Swamp Thing is that Yanick Paquette's art is what sells it, not Snyder's writing.

It's almost as though it really doesn't matter what the story is...and I don't think anyone is comparing it to Alan's run.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

Doesn't Moore just hate the whole comic book industry and not just DC?
    BB

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GundamHeavyarms
    @Billy Batson: For the most part, yes.  Though he did most of his work with DC so is anger is detected towards them.
    obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By obscurefan

When the watchman movie came out there was that little animated thing on youtube showing Watchmen as a saturday morning cartoon, and everyone thought it was a joke... however if you watch this Swamp Thing cartoon you'll see it's actually worse than that joke ever could have been.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @aztek_the_lost said:

It's not like DC (or Marvel) hasn't screwed over every other writer ever or indie publishers for that matter. Every comic creator gets screwed over, it's too bad that Moore feels he needs to blow everything out of proportion. I mean Grant Morrison (DC's big writer right now) was censored by DC (Invisibles) but he still continued working for them and still is now fifteen years later. I can understand why Moore would put these publishers behind them after they screw him over, there's nothing wrong with that, but crying about it? That doesn't help anyone.

I've found that crying about something helps me. It gets me exactly what I want.  :D
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JonesDeini

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Silkcuts:

Actually, what I've heard from customers about the new Swamp Thing is that Yanick Paquette's art is what sells it, not Snyder's writing.

It's almost as though it really doesn't matter what the story is...and I don't think anyone is comparing it to Alan's run.

I'm reading it cuz I'm interested in the character, but I follow creators so having these two on a character I wanted to get into was an added bonus. Honestly I'd have read just with Snyder on board. Paquette is an excellent bonus! If another trusted/respected team takes over when they go I'll keep with it.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @danhimself said:

all I see from Moore's side is "wah wah wah wah wah".....seriously....everything he did for DC belonged to DC and they can see fit to do with it as they please....this is pretty much the same thing that's going on with the Shuster and Siegel and the Kirbys....if you work for a company like Marvel and DC and you create something for them...then they own it and you shouldn't get pissed in a few years when they change it or you aren't getting payed enough

LMAO, so wrong, so not true. The DCnU is proof.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Personally for me the man just whines way too much. I'd actually respect him a whole lot more if he wasn't such a whiner. Seriously. The man is an artist but I just can't stand complainers...never have, never will. Hehe but I can understand much of why he complains so much even if I can't stand his attitude.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

To be fair Moore didn't actually create Swamp Thing, he just made him worth reading

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

Len Wein was the actual creator of Swamp Thing

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself

@turoksonofstone said:

@danhimself said:

LMAO, so wrong, so not true. The DCnU is proof.

what's not right or true about what I said and how does is the DCnU proof against me?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshmightbe

I'm a huge Alan Moore fan but he really has no right to complain about changes regarding Swamp Thing because as I stated before he is not the character's creator

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Silkcuts

@ReVamp: There was a an agreement that Jim Lee and Moore made when ABC was signed as an imprint that Moore was allow to do whatever he saw fit. Then Jim Lee sold Wildstorm and ABC was an imprint that DC owned now. Moore was working again for DC indirectly and Jim Lee told Moore that if he continues the launch of the ABC universe DC would not interfere. This promise is what made Moore honor the contracts with all the creators involved, since none of them would have projects minus Kevin O'Neil since Moore and him own LoEG. So guys like J3 would of not done promethea if Moore didn't trust Lee's promise. I have read of four occasions DC did not honor their half of the agreement. There was an issue of LoEG that was pulpped because of the "Marvel" joke ad. In an issue of top ten the lawers told Moore he could not use Hello Kitty blinds. There was a Cobwebs story in the Tomorrow stories that was banned, Top Shelf would publish a slightly altered version of it. Last but not least again with LoEG they blocked the Black Dossier sales in the U.K. as well as dumming down the original solicit of the Absolute, which included a 7 inch record, and better quality goodies.

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Silkcuts:

Most people haven't read Alan's run but claim they are big DC fans. Yanick's art is nice.

@joshmightbe said:

Len Wein was the actual creator of Swamp Thing

Wein knew his version was inferior and passed the torch to Moore, since the character was a failure with Wein and Berni. Wein became Moore's biggest Swamp Thing fan. So even if Moore is not the creator he is the most important writer the character has ever seen.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JonesDeini

@Silkcuts:

Sadly I've yet to read Moore's run. But that's the nature of the beast when you work for pay. I'm actually working on a pitch, and I'm considering scrapping it and starting from scratch. I think I'd rather do an uninhibited, creator owned pitch to a company like Image that I wouldn't have to worry about my stuff being gang banged by hacks (other than myself) in the future.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Silkcuts

@JonesDeini: Aztek and I are the only ones I can think of who read it. I hate to say it but Image is the new Vertigo.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JonesDeini

@Silkcuts:

I want to read it and Miracle/Marvelman...but I'm sure I'll have much more luck with the former until Marvel actually goes through with reprinting the Moore/Gaiman years.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Relationships between true artists and big corporations work out less often than celebrity marriages.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Silkcuts

@JonesDeini said:

@Silkcuts:

I want to read it and Miracle/Marvelman...but I'm sure I'll have much more luck with the former until Marvel actually goes through with reprinting the Moore/Gaiman years.

Miracleman is great. As for its legal issues, I still haven't heard Marvel obtained Miracleman, they own Marvel man sure, but there was a lot of work done under the Miracleman name when Moore believe the character was public domain.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By John Valentine

Alan Moore is both overrated and way too outspoken.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Billy Batson

@Silkcuts said:

@JonesDeini: Aztek and I are the only ones I can think of who read it. I hate to say it but Image is the new Vertigo.

Moore's run on Swamp Thing? Surely not.
    BB

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alan=good writer+emoboy prime

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@Silkcuts: 

Did you receive what I sent you yet? They said at the P.O. that it would take 5 working days to get to Toronto.

@aztek_the_lost

Neil is a tool...on several different levels. 

Here's the quote that I've posted on CV before: 

"I have never met anyone as single-minded about his career as Neil."  ~  Alan Moore

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @aztek_the_lost said:

@JonesDeini said:

@Silkcuts:

I want Gaiman to finish his story! after all this time fighting to get the rights, he better finish his story...but I doubt he will

Rumor was that finishing it is what Marvel had in mind...
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReVamp

@Silkcuts said:

@ReVamp: There was a an agreement that Jim Lee and Moore made when ABC was signed as an imprint that Moore was allow to do whatever he saw fit. Then Jim Lee sold Wildstorm and ABC was an imprint that DC owned now. Moore was working again for DC indirectly and Jim Lee told Moore that if he continues the launch of the ABC universe DC would not interfere. This promise is what made Moore honor the contracts with all the creators involved, since none of them would have projects minus Kevin O'Neil since Moore and him own LoEG. So guys like J3 would of not done promethea if Moore didn't trust Lee's promise. I have read of four occasions DC did not honor their half of the agreement. There was an issue of LoEG that was pulpped because of the "Marvel" joke ad. In an issue of top ten the lawers told Moore he could not use Hello Kitty blinds. There was a Cobwebs story in the Tomorrow stories that was banned, Top Shelf would publish a slightly altered version of it. Last but not least again with LoEG they blocked the Black Dossier sales in the U.K. as well as dumming down the original solicit of the Absolute, which included a 7 inch record, and better quality goodies.

I'll be back in a second after I research and actually undrstand what you're talking about, LOL.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By TheCrowbar

@turoksonofstone:

Proof how?

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JonesDeini

@Silkcuts:

Oh Marvel owns it all Miracle/Marvel. A while ago there was talks of them getting Gaiman back on board to finish his story.

@Roxanne Starr:

I've never met the man...but as my favorite writer I will hear no blasphemy against his name!!!

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silkcuts

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Silkcuts: Did you receive what I sent you yet? They said at the P.O. that it would take 5 working days to get to Toronto.

Not yet, but I am excited!

You are a GEM!

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Silkcuts

@ReVamp said:

@Silkcuts said:

I'll be back in a second after I research and actually undrstand what you're talking about, LOL.

Take your time and dig. The more you look for the truth you see Moore is in his rights to not like DC because they didn't handle him well. You can also as Roxanne, if I speak about Moore good chances it is accurate to 99.99%. I am a huge Moore fan and I mean it when I say Huge, I don't think anyone on the vine has a Moore collection that can rivial mine, minus Roxanne since she worked with him and actually owns original art. But of the mere mortals I am a Moore expert and that is fact.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@JonesDeini

I didn't post any blasphemy. I merely posted the truth...accompanied by a quote from Alan.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @danhimself
    @TheCrowbar said:

@turoksonofstone:

Proof how?"

Hey Crowbar! Let me get to the MAIN topic and draw a LINE, DC screwed Siegel and Shuster now they Have screwed DC Back! As a result DC has "altered" Superman and is gambling it all on the new 52! Spin it any way you want but FACTS IS FACTS! Proof=Screw Creators, Get Screwed Back eventually through Bad press, Legal hassles, etc. It's Poetic Justice!
    "The best Lawyers are Like the best Insects..Dead." - Author Unknown 

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silkcuts

@JonesDeini said:

@Silkcuts:

Oh Marvel owns it all Miracle/Marvel. A while ago there was talks of them getting Gaiman back on board to finish his story.

Okay, well then good. The series is one all should read. I am happy I have the Eclipse trades.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Billy Batson

@higher_evolutionary said:

alan=good writer+emoboy prime

LOL
    BB

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @Silkcuts said:

@ReVamp said:

@Silkcuts said:

Take your time and dig. The more you look for the truth you see Moore is in his rights to not like DC because they didn't handle him well. You can also as Roxanne, if I speak about Moore good chances it is accurate to 99.99%. I am a huge Moore fan and I mean it when I say Huge, I don't think anyone on the vine has a Moore collection that can rivial mine, minus Roxanne since she worked with him and actually owns original art. But of the mere mortals I am a Moore expert and that is fact.

Silk, you know a hell of a lot more about Alan's work than I do. I only know stuff that I needed to know in order to work with him. 

You probably know more about Alan's work than Alan does.  :-)
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JonesDeini

@Roxanne Starr:

LMAO Allen's opinion is not absolute. Like I said, I've never met Gaiman, so you may have some insider info I don't. But if you/Moore are right it's a good thing I've never met him. I usually try to avoid meeting artist I like/revere because they may turn out to be total dicks.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ReVamp

@Silkcuts said:

@ReVamp said:

@Silkcuts said:

Oh, I'm not doubting your opinion, I just literally can't understand what you said.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Billy Batson

@JonesDeini:

Don't believe everything you see in the internet (talking about Neil Gaiman being a dick.)
    BB

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @JonesDeini said:

@Roxanne Starr:

LMAO Allen's opinion is not absolute. Like I said, I've never met Gaiman, so you may have some insider info I don't. But if you/Moore are right it's a good thing I've never met him. I usually try to avoid meeting artist I like/revere because they may turn out to be total dicks.

Life is all about dealing with dicks on a moment-to-moment basis. 

And usually we have to deal with a dick and a Naional Treasure at the same time. And sometimes that dick and that National Treasure are one and the same person.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By danhimself

@turoksonofstone: nobody was "screwed" .... all of those creators new the deal when they were working for Marvel and DC....and if they didn't then they should have read their contracts better...plain and simple.....and the heirs coming out and saying they want money for something they didn't create....that's just greed....they didn't do anything to contribute towards the creation of the characters so they're lucky they're getting anything at all

as for Moore....no matter what he or anyone else says....he was working for DC on DC characters...what DC does with those characters after he left them is DC's business....he can be upset about it and that's fine but the bottom line is that they aren't his characters....it's like a carpenter getting mad because some adds an addition to a house he built

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @danhimself
    Siegel and Shuster were screwed, Jack Kirby was screwed, Alan Moore was screwed, Bill Finger was screwed the list goes on forever, Stan Lee himself sued Marvel and won when they tried to screw him but his high profile prevented it.....Nonsense! Whatever constitutes "The Deal" has always varied and was inconsistent at Marvel and DC, changing as often as Ownership and Management....Contracts were often verbal in the past only today do creators get treated sort of fairly....Greed?? Foolish nonsense, If I punched your Dad in the head you would not let me get away with it, Would wanting to get even be greed?....What they contributed isn't relevant to the Superman case, what is relevant is that they created him before they sold him to DC, hence they can reclaim him legally at this time. Real Superman fans know this. 

Alan Got screwed DC wishes he would work with them, but because they are a bunch of liars we'll never see some great stuff. Alan Moore doesn't need DC. I'm pretty sure it's only certain properties he cared about at DC anyway Watchmen, V for Vendetta, y'know DC's only successful movies outside of Batman. Anyway no need for me to defend a legend Alan's work will be around causing discussion long after he's gone thanks to DC's pigheadedness and Greed. Funny how people call the Heirs Greedy. Wake Up!
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Silkcuts

@ReVamp said:

@Silkcuts said:

@ReVamp said:

@Silkcuts said:

Oh, I'm not doubting your opinion, I just literally can't understand what you said.

To sum it up Jim Lee convinced Alan to join Wildstorm and create ABC. That was before DC owned Wildstorm. Contracts signed and stories plotted Lee sold Wildstorm and that allowed DC to get Moore back in the stable even if once removed. Moore was debating not doing the ABC stuff, but because he didn't want to screw over his friends he made an agreement with Lee that DC would have no contact with him. DC screwed that up by censoring, pulping and editing his work at ABC. If DC let him be then may be he would still be writing for ABC.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.