Off My Mind: Are Superpowers Locked Away Inside Us?

Posted by G-Man (34334 posts) - - Show Bio

Sunday night I finally got around to watching the movie The Men Who Stare At Goats. When it first came out, I simply paid it no attention and had no idea what it was about. It basically dealt with a journalist investigating the U.S. Army's use of New Age ideas and paranormal activities to fight in combat. The question that resurfaced in my mind was, are superpowers real? Do we all have mind powers locked away inside our brains and just don't realize it?

I tucked away this idea for a possible future article. The next day, the local paper (the Marin Independent Journal) did a write up of a professor (Jeff Kripal) that says "X-Men-like superpowers may be latent within us." As a professor of religious studies, he now believes we could have the ability to transform ourselves into real-life superheroes. Could he be on to something?
 == TEASER == 

"It's the notion that the capacities the X-Men display - precognition and telepathy and perhaps even psychokinesis (moving objects with your mind) - may be powers that haven't fully evolved in us yet, but show up as signs of our future human nature. Perhaps these are signs of where our species is going in the future."

The professor (and author of the book "Authors of the Impossible") will be the star speaker at a two day conference this weekend (sadly, I will be unable to attend due to a prior commitment). Could he be on to something?

There's always been that myth that we only use ten percent of our brain and if we could access other areas, we'd all have telepathic or telekinetic abilities. Unfortunately studies say this is just a myth, at least the ten percent part. It's been proven that we do use one hundred percent of our brain throughout the course of a day. 

This may not completely rule out the possibility. It could be a matter of learning how to do certain things. Remember before you knew how to whistle (for example)? Not everyone can whistle the same. Some people are way better than others. Do we just need to learn how to use our super powers?

You've also probably heard about the 'real life' superheroes. Ranker even made a list of " The 12 Greatest Real-Life Superheroes Of All Time" (check them out). We've reported on a couple of these. Some are people dressed as familiar heroes while others have made it their mission to create their own identities in performing their call of duty.

Perhaps one day we will all be using our superhuman abilities. Have you witnessed anything out of the ordinary?
Staff
#1 Posted by longbowhunter (7098 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the power to shoot Gogurt out from underneath my fingernails. Step aside Zach and Cody theres a new kid in town.
#2 Posted by Jabor (45 posts) - - Show Bio

The future will answer us....
#3 Posted by Sexy Merc (42075 posts) - - Show Bio

They are. Trust me, try jumping off a building.

#4 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
" They are. Trust me, try jumping off a building. "
off to try it now!
#5 Posted by Vance Astro (91237 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes..G-Man they are.Perfomance enhancers bring them out of us :) 

#6 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I really, really doubt it

#7 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah my metagene is waiting to be activated. Smh! lol

#8 Posted by Cassio411 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

My impression of a super hero has always been one of a person doing something that helps the community. I don't think you need a super power to be one, you just have to go out there and help out, make a difference. Whether it's picking up trash that people neglected to throw away, or volunteering to help out the elderly or the needy, Even making someone smile that you don't know. These are the things that all of us have inside of us to make that "super hero" difference. We are all heroes, we just have to nourish that will to get things done.

For one hour a week, I go to areas of there Hudson river that are polluted and pick up the trash. I know it isn't much, but it helps.

That's my super hero power, no one has asked me to do it, but I do because it is fulfilling. and no I can't fly.

#9 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio

The average person only uses Ten percent of their brains so there have to be a superhero locked away inside everybody 
However I think inside most people there is a superhero locked away in spirit. I suppose its just like Kick ass, most people in a way wants to be a superhero so its not impossible for there to be superheroes (just without powers) but that doesn't matter just as long as you have the moral values and symbolism that heroes represent. think about it 

#10 Edited by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cassio411 said:

" My impression of a super hero has always been one of a person doing something that helps the community. I don't think you need a super power to be one, you just have to go out there and help out, make a difference. Whether it's picking up trash that people neglected to throw away, or volunteering to help out the elderly or the needy, Even making someone smile that you don't know. These are the things that all of us have inside of us to make that "super hero" difference. We are all heroes, we just have to nourish that will to get things done.  For one hour a week, I go to areas of there Hudson river that are polluted and pick up the trash. I know it isn't much, but it helps.   That's my super hero power, no one has asked me to do it, but I do because it is fulfilling. and no I can't fly. "

Thats a good thing. For me, I try to do at least 3 or more good deeds no matter how small it is like holding the door for someone, or just giving a piece of paper or pencil to someone who needs it in class. Since I live near the coast, I try to do what I can with the oil spill on weekends.

I do remember reading a article saying that when we were babies, we technically had superpowers. Here's the link: 
http://www.cracked.com/article_18538_5-superpowers-we-all-had-as-babies-according-to-science_p1.html 
#11 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard of certain monks using meditation to levitate themselves and others. I've seen videos of people lifting cars and once even a helicopter like it was nothing. I've even met people( and on a few occasions myself) with a degree of precognition. I think superpowers are definetely attainable through extensive practices or duress

#12 Posted by TheAntiVillain (74 posts) - - Show Bio

here are some cracked articles that is related to this

http://www.cracked.com/article_18538_5-superpowers-we-all-had-as-babies-according-to-science.html

http://www.cracked.com/article/127_5-ways-to-hack-your-brain-into-awesomeness/

http://www.cracked.com/article_16449_7-people-from-around-world-with-real-mutant-superpowers.html

http://www.cracked.com/article/114_5-superpowers-you-didnt-know-your-body-was-hiding-from-you/

#13 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Science channel had show about the human body being able to life somewhere between 600 to 800 lbs but that its a defensive thing.  The body will get drained of any energy if does so it only uses a small of our weight lifting capabilities or we'll just drop.  It answers why in some situations a person can lift something heavy if there's a person underneith it.  Interesting fact, 
#14 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be so awesome!!!

#15 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many things about the human brain that scientists don't know yet. How knows, maybe psychic abilities are one of these.
#16 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, maybe a thousand years in the future, people will have superpowers. Doubt it though.
#17 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I got a little Nightwing in me

#18 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

"Professor of religious studies" = red flag

#19 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing I've always thought would be cool if it was a possibilty if there was a planet like ours to live on and it had a red sun or some kind of different sun instead of a yellow a one. Would it gives us powers like Superman or have some kind of effect on us ? Just always thought that would be cool.
#20 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw it Sunday night too!

#21 Posted by Preacherl2k (460 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a great episode of "Modern Marvels" about people all over the world with truly amazing abilities: An blind painter who could render depth perception in his paintings - They actually tested him to see if he could do it( he actually rendered the Battistero of San Giovanni in Italy, it is an 8 sided building!). A woman who could "see" different sounds as different color. Another man who could perform amazing feats of calculations in his mind that would tax even a computer; a man who trained himself to memorize a deck of cards after seeing them 1 time and then repeated them back in 2min 12 sec.

There is more to the universe than can be imagined!

#22 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

If I have Super-speed or Teleportation, I'm good.

#23 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't that be great!

#24 Posted by DarkSyde79 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Evolution is still occurring and we do only use 10% of our brains. So who knows what potential is lock’d away… 

#25 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always had a lil' Hector Hammond voice in my head that separated the right from the wrong, so I'm sure it's possible

Superpowers=Real
#26 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

"There's always been that myth that we only use ten percent of our brain and if we could access other areas, we'd all have telepathic or telekinetic abilities"   F'n SWEET!!!!  "Unfortunately studies say this is just a myth" D@MN!!!!!    
#27 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

The same gene that allows a jelly fish to regenerate is in the human genome, it's just inactive.  If anyone ever activated it, you'd essentially have a healing factor.

Also the whole" we only use 10% of out brain" thing is a total myth.  We use almost out entire brain, we just don't use it all at the same time. 

#28 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red_Justice said:
" Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I really, really doubt it "
That.
#29 Posted by The Human Stain (83 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderguylll said:
" I got a little Nightwing in me "
That's what Starfire said.
#30 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Human Stain said:

" @spiderguylll said:

" I got a little Nightwing in me "
That's what Starfire said. "
#31 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes its true because once we push our human bodies to the most unconditional limits while having faith thats our superpower inspired on the behalf from the superhuman special on 20/20

#32 Posted by arrowfan237 (465 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I had super speed.
#33 Edited by The Man Without Fear (57 posts) - - Show Bio

"Are Superpowers Locked Away Inside Us?"
Look how much energy is released from splitting an atom, a human body contains many. It's possible one day science figures out how to harness such energy in the human body, without destroying it.

#34 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Id love to have powers but simple ones. like able to communicate with machines cause machines F@!king hate me bout time i get the ability to tell them to stfu an do as their told

#35 Posted by G-Man (34334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:
" I saw it Sunday night too! "
I thought I heard someone outside my window...
Staff
#36 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a photographic memory, so sometimes I feel like I have superpowers 
but my therapist says I need to stop thinking like that 
and then I try to make her head blow up with my mind 
and then she's ups my dosage again
#37 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:
" I saw it Sunday night too! "
I thought I heard someone outside my window... "
You need to shave G-Man! oh by the way, your TV is really nice looking!
#38 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" The same gene that allows a jelly fish to regenerate is in the human genome, it's just inactive.  If anyone ever activated it, you'd essentially have a healing factor.  Also the whole" we only use 10% of out brain" thing is a total myth.  We use almost out entire brain, we just don't use it all at the same time.  "
I think what they mean to say is we only use 5 to 10% of our FULL potential, which just makes use eat, breath, crap, walk and think.
#39 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, we use 5-10% at a time 
more than that would litterally make our brains overheat and we'd die 
die....WITH SUPER POWERS!!!!....but yeah, you'd still die
#40 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Imagine discovering that you have superpowers.What would you do first?
#41 Posted by THE_ANTIHERO (28 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not gonna lie....if i have psionic powers ima abuse it 4 my personal gain lol

#42 Posted by cbishop (8230 posts) - - Show Bio

In the TV show Heroes, and in the sci-fi novel series Wild Cards, and in some comics here and there, people's powers are based on how they see themselves.  I think it's a little bit like that, only it doesn't just show up - you have to believe it, you have to really understand it, and you have to work on it constantly.  I don't think too many people can do that.  I sometimes think we could do more if we weren't ingrained with what's possible and what's not.

Someone mentioned monks levitating.  I remember a Discovery show about martial arts, where they showed some monks who could sit out in the snow, have a wet towel draped around their shoulders, and by concentrating, cause their bodies to generate enough heat to raise steam from the towel, eventually drying it, rather than it freezing.  This was the same show where they talked about the real life "Iron Fist," who has hardened his hands to such a point that he spends five hours a day hitting a solid steel block, because anything softer than that shatters under his fists.  This may have been the same guy who could do the "death touch," which didn't actually require him to touch anybody.  That was much debated though, because they only had stories to go by, as they obviously couldn't demonstrate it.  There was also speculation that the death touch might work because the person it's being used against believes in it (sort of like some speculation on voodoo).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.