Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Zack Snyder Is Directing Superman

• 146 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This just in. A director for the new Superman movie has been found. Deadline has just announced that Zack Snyder has been chosen.  

No Caption Provided

Snyder, director of 300, Watchmen and Legends of the Guardians, gets comic books and comic book movies. Will having him as a director make the movie more successful than Superman Returns? While that movie wasn't horrible, it had some elements that were just off.  

What are your thoughts on this? Is this super news? 

UPDATE

No Caption Provided
    According to the Hollywood Reporter, the villain for the movie will be none other than General Zod. There's mention of the movie having a "connection to Richard Donner's 'Superman' films. It should be interesting to see how that would play out and what, if any, connection this would be to the "disappointment" of Superman Returns

What do you think about Zod being the villain (once again)? How will this movie be connected to the Donner films? Will Superman be asked to kneel before him once again?
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By TheMess1428

This is exactly what I wanted. He would do good on Superman fighting Lex Luthor and Brainiac.

OllieKQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By OllieKQueen

I'm pretty stoked with this, Snyder has shown he can transfer big properties to the silver screen with style. We'll see what happens.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone

!!! Good for you DC fans!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Snyder is a hack who would not be able to make a moviw without speacial FX, in case you couldn't figure it out this news dissappoints me
    SuperOcelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SuperOcelot

Zack Snyder grantees- a lot of slow motion, every scene bathed in a golden hue,  and no big name actors, in other words this really could be Amazing
    My one fear is that Snyder is very obviously a visual director, and I'm afraid his version of Superman may end up lacking in areas not filled with slow motion action

Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brickabrack

The problem with Superman Returns was mostly in some spotty casting and crazy plot decisions that had no place in the movie. If Zack can avoid those and possibly avoid Lex Luthor as the villain the movie will probably rock the socks off of anything else out there.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

I can't wait to see Superman stopping the antagonist.... iiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn sssssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww mmmmmmooooottttioooooonnnn wiiiiitttttthhhhh eeeeeepiiiiiiiccccc mmmmuuuussssssiiiiiiiccccccc.......
    Avatar image for themanofsteel456
    TheManOfSteel456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheManOfSteel456

I like it.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By johnny_spam

If this is real then I am excited this guy wants to use superhumans and powers in his movies look at the characters so I think he will be a good match for Superman. Also if people are worried then think about the fact that the writers are the writers of The Dark Knight.

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dcfox

His other comic book adaptations have been pretty violent. Can he pull off a PG rated movie and still make it interesting? (I haven't seen Legend of the Guardians so maybe he already has).

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By damswedon
    @aztek the lost said:
    " a super speed character going in slow motion, what's not to love about that? no, seriously "
    yeah it will be in normal speed with everybody else in super slowmo. 
    Yay! Snyder directing but is he writing? if not then why would you get him.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @aztek the lost said:
    " a super speed character going in slow motion, what's not to love about that? no, seriously "
    lol
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Primmaster64

Slow motion?

AxlReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AxlReznor
    @cattlebattle said:
    "Snyder is a hack who would not be able to make a moviw without speacial FX, in case you couldn't figure it out this news dissappoints me "

It's a good job he's directing Superman and not Citizen Kane then, isn't it. Seriously... you can't complain about a guy using special effects in movies that call for the use of special effects! Dr. Manhattan without any CG would have just been a man in fluorescent blue paint! 

I love both 300 and Watchmen, and if those movies have shown us anything it's that Zack Snyder can make an awesome looking movie. He's yet to show us he can make a movie that hasn't practically already been shot for him on the page, but hopefully Sucker Punch remedies that. 
    I'm not a big Superman fan, but I'm looking forward.
    Krhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Krhunt

Color me excited. I dug Watchmen, and his Dawn of the Dead.  

@cattlebattle: Yeah. I love those other superhero movies that don't use special effec--- Oh wait...

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey

I think this is good and bad news.  That's because it seems like 300 and Watchmen were both split down the middle half liked it half did not.  I liked both so Im looking forward to it. 
    blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blaakmawf

Yeah.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grendel

Watchmen was awful. Without a solid script this will takes Supes off the screen for over a decade.

DavidRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DavidRose

I like this. Snyder should do a pretty good job. And Nolan will make sure of it. And Geoff Johns will make sure it's grounded in comic culture. Can't wait!!
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Rheged
    Hmmmm.  Not particularly interested in Superman, but with Snyder on it, I'll probably go see it.

@AxlReznor:   Dawn of the Dead wasn't from a graphic novel, and neither was the owl movie that's out now, the name escapes me.  But I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead, and I'm not a zombie fan.  That said, I'm wondering if he's got a particular Superman graphic novel in mind?
    CombatCraigFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By CombatCraigFM

Hmm how is he going to squeeze boobs (pun intended) into this one? I don't mean to sound like a prude I just don't see how slow motion nudity fights work in the Superman universe. He just tries too hard to be edgy IMO

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Omega-Man

This should be interesting, hopefuly he may take a few things from Birthright.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By difficlus

good choice...

pantslabyrinth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pantslabyrinth

Oh boy....  

I'm not a Snyder fan, but it can't be worse than Superman Returns.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jordanstine
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "
    I can't wait to see Superman stopping the antagonist.... iiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnn sssssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww mmmmmmooooottttioooooonnnn wiiiiitttttthhhhh eeeeeepiiiiiiiccccc mmmmuuuussssssiiiiiiiccccccc....... "

Well... Bryan Singer already used the slow motion "bullet-time" on Superman Returns already... in fact he did it LITERALLY with bullets! 

First scene with Superman flying in to deflect bullets from an M60 machine gun turret.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By johnny_spam
    @CombatCraigFM: @CombatCraigFM said:
    " Hmm how is he going to squeeze boobs (pun intended) into this one? I don't mean to sound like a prude I just don't see how slow motion nudity fights work in the Superman universe. He just tries too hard to be edgy IMO "
    If you look at any director's career or actors it will most likely cross genres so I don't think this is any different he isn't even writing it is is David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan.
    Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Planewalker

the main problem with Superman movies is the villain is a push over, watch the Apocalypse movie the fight versus darkseid  is real cool reproduce in life action and we are good

KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KingLoki

He's a good choice, but I was hoping for a director who hasn't done a superhero movie before.

Still, I hope Zach can bring his best.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Gawd, some people will project so much scripted hate onto anything just to conform with the other stylish band-wagoners. 
    Zack Snyder a hack? Right, because Watchmen was so very commercial, and there were just SO many changes made to the story in an effort to appeal to a larger, teenage audience.... is that right?
    Seems all anyone can complain about is his use of slow motion. And with that implemented in a Superman movie (are we forgetting how much slow-mo Singer used in "Returns"?), I don't see why that would be a problem.

Anyways, now I'm actually interested. Before I had been a bit annoyed at the idea of Christopher Nolan "mentoring" the project soley because of his success with a COMPLETELY different character, and as such, thought we'd be seeing something really low-key with some poor attempts at drama and lots of people shouting questions at other people as they walk away. 

If there is any concern for this project, it should be regarding what kind of story we are going to see adapted in any relative capacity. Is this going to be in any way related to the Donner/Lester/Singer franchise? Will Superman have the power to alter Lois' memory just by kissing her? Will this be an action-packed revamp/reboot similar to Abram's Star Trek? If so, what kind of characters will be introduced, if any, that have yet to appear in a Superman movie? Will we finally see Brainiac? If so, will he actually be Brainiac or some "ghost in the machine" artificial intelligence gone wrong? Will Lex Luthor be the villain who we just NEVER get tired of (sarcasm), or will there be other criminal organizations at large like Intergang? What will be the focus? I'd prefer an action flick. I don't want to see the Man of Steel in an almost muted capacity, spending the entire movie trying to understand why Lois rejected him. I want something we haven't seen before, much like a lot of people want to see something new in the next Batman outing. 

And since Snyder is an expert at action, I'm left hopeful.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Planewalker: @Planewalker said:
    " the main problem with Superman movies is the villain is a push over, watch the Apocalypse movie the fight versus darkseid  is real cool reproduce in life action and we are good "
    It's rumored the villain is Zod before that it was rumored to be Brainiac. Maybe they will try a superpowered enemy. 

If Snyder is the director then I don't think this will be like Nolan's Batman 3 and we will see video production blogs and other stuff during the making.
    Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

Well he would out do the bullet to the eyeball slowmo :P

If there is no lex in the film, or at least not as the main protagonist and more as a cameo, I think I may actually love a Superman film.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Primmaster64
    @johnny spam said:
    " @Planewalker: @Planewalker said:
    " the main problem with Superman movies is the villain is a push over, watch the Apocalypse movie the fight versus darkseid  is real cool reproduce in life action and we are good "
    It's rumored the villain is Zod before that it was rumored to be Brainiac. Maybe they will try a superpowered enemy.  If Snyder is the director then I don't think this will be like Nolan's Batman 3 and we will see video production blogs and other stuff during the making. "
    As  long as it ain't Luthor
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bruce Vain

THANK YOU COMIC BOOK GODS !!! 

FINALLY, we'll be seeing Superman whooping some f#%king a$$ . Perhaps we'll get to see Superman go toe to toe with Doomsday, Darkseid or Brainiac. 

With the Nolans and Goyer being in charge and Snyder behind the camera this will be a winning team right here. I'm sure we'll be getting some epic scenes and great shots of Superman. 

And Snyder doesn't need to make a movie with a green or blue screen. Watch his Dawn of the Dead.
    mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mickoreo_LZ
    @Brickabrack said:
    "The problem with Superman Returns was mostly in some spotty casting and crazy plot decisions that had no place in the movie. If Zack can avoid those and possibly avoid Lex Luthor as the villain the movie will probably rock the socks off of anything else out there. "

All the elements for a successful Superman film
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Decept-O
    @Bruce Vain:
    You said it all!   

That's what I'm waiting for, and hopefully Zack Snyder will deliver.  Just out and out action, Superman LAYING THE SMACK DOWN on supervillains like he should have been doing all along.   

Haven't seen that since Superman II.  Dated as that movie is at least Superman did all the things Superman does; use his powers against powerful foes.   

I hope Zack Snyder brings the SUPER back to SUPERMAN!!!
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By The Hobgoblin

I'd have much rather preferred Robert Zemeckis.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By roadbuster
    What are your thoughts on this? Is this super news?

I need to see Sucker Punch before I can be fair, because a film where he's the writer and producer is going to be something he's passionate enough about to show his chops.  Legend, like this other films, is visual eye-candy but struggles with its story.  His previous adaptations could tell the story without tons of exposition but Legend makes me think that outside the visuals he doesn't have a storyteller's intuition with respect to the script.

I'm willing to accept his prior statements against Superman as puffery and negotiation tactics in order to bring the WB's numbers up, but have concerns that we've put another "Batman-type person" in charge of the Superman franchise when the last director was a "X-Men type person" bringing the struggles of a mutant or gay minority to the Übermensch. 

For me, the script is going to be almost everything. 

I think Superman Returns doesn't get enough credit for its beautiful design, lighting, and cinematography because of the adverse reaction many had to the script (and for some, the casting, though I felt it was sufficient)... so we've already had a visually attractive Superman film (not particularly pulse pounding but that's another issue)... this time it's the story that needs to deliver.  Not merely a rehash, an origin, or an adaptation... but an original work on par with other Superman milestones. 

Synder's proven a level a competence with adaptations now let's see what he can do with an original custom built script.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Magian
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @johnny spam said:
    It's rumored the villain is Zod before that it was rumored to be Brainiac. Maybe they will try a superpowered enemy.  If Snyder is the director then I don't think this will be like Nolan's Batman 3 and we will see video production blogs and other stuff during the making. "
    As  long as it ain't Luthor "
    I don't want Luthor too. As for the slow motion you asked in the previous, apparently he uses it a lot in his movies.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " @Primmaster64 said:
    " @johnny spam said:
    As  long as it ain't Luthor "
    I don't want Luthor too. As for the slow motion you asked in the previous, apparently he uses it a lot in his movies. "
    I want Mongul
    mothore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mothore

Anything would be better than Superman: Returns

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Magian
    @Primmaster64: Not a bad idea or Darkseid. I would like a villain that can fight with him.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ComicMan24: Exacly.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Magian
    @Primmaster64: That is why I believe Darkseid would be perfect. He is smart and strong. As for the director, I haven't seen any of his movies so I cannot judge.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Not what i would call the best choice but hardly the worst ether.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ComicMan24: 300?
    Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Midnight Monk

Perhap there will be some redmeption for the touchy feely supes

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Magian
    @Primmaster64: No, I haven't seen it yet.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kid_Zombie

this is great News. He would do a great job. I loved his directing on 300 (although the story sucked) and watchmen, and the dawn of the dead remake was not the original but for sure had it's moments.

But please no slo mo! ha ha But with the Nolan Brothers with him behind the scenes and Johns also there, this is a great match.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ComicMan24: You should it was good

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.