Your/My Opinion on Scott Lobdell!

• 53 results
#1 Posted by Squalleon (4498 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey all! I started this thread to see what supes fan believe about the writer of the main Superman title.

Personally i like where Lobdell goes with superman he seems to have great plans that will expand into the next couple of years.H'el on Earth may be a bit mediocre but i think it was the necessary introduction for what is about to come for the superman family and a way to unite them a bit (since the family was a mess :-P).

I haven't read his other books (and i probably won't :-P) so i can't judge his writing abilities with my limited knowledge of him.

#2 Posted by Night Thrasher (3667 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always respected Lobdell. During the 90's when everything else sucked he single handed wrote good X-Men stories that were top sellers and actually pretty entertaining. Dude brought so much characterization to the book that a lot of what we perceive as to how a X-character is portrayed is really based on his interpretation and not Claremont as many believe.

#3 Posted by darkman61288 (728 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like his portrayal of Clark. I feel he is too emotional. And I dont like his portrayal of Lois either. He writes her so b**chy it is a crime.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (19135 posts) - - Show Bio

So not a Lobdell fan. H'El on Earth was beyond mediocre with poor characterisation and a redundant plot. The Superman Family has gotten off to a poor start but hopefully Snyder or Diggle will do something about that in the future. Lobdell is surprisingly writing better than Perez or Giffen managed to but that's because of other factors and overall these 2 are better writers. Morrison's Action Comics blows Lobdell's Superman out of the water in terms of understanding the characters. the plot and where it'll all tie up.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6433 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like lobdell a run its pretty good. I think all the hate he gets is just blow back from this whole tim drake thing.

#6 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really enjoying his run so far.

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (5603 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read his X-Men stuff, I can't stand his DC work. RHATO, Teen Titans, Superman, now Parasite, it's all just so... ugh. Yeah, not a Lobdell fan at all. I hope he doesn't ruin Parasite... much.

#8 Posted by krspaceT (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

He's no Synder or Johns, but he's done alright. None of his titles have been cancelled anyway, and he's trying to use old material from other writers, like Perez (the horn) and the guy who first added Helspont.

#9 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his Superman book is the best written Superman content across the board in many years. Superman is a character who has long been decaying and losing his audience.

Comparing it to Action Comics, AC had a weaker start, and took many issues to get going, but the personality of Superman is pretty good. Its actually a perfect contrast against the Superman book, as in AC he has more youthful brashness, and in Superman he is more sure of himself, and more reserved. I like both now, but I think the Superman book is more exciting, definitely better drawn, and feels more connected to the DCU at large.

#10 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a meh writer that occasionally strikes gold, and I don't really like him as a person.

#11 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he is doing a great job much better than Morrison on Action at the moment.

#12 Posted by JakeN7 (11574 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

He's a meh writer that occasionally strikes gold, and I don't really like him as a person.

This.

He's a huge dou***bag and I've only ever enjoyed his run on Red Hood and the Outlaws.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14663 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read anything else from him except his current DC runs and I have enjoyed only RHATO's first issues only.His H'el on Earth was pretty poor,his Teen Titans sucked a lot and as a conclusion I don't like the guy.

#14 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like Lobdell. His run on Teen Titans is easily one of the worst runs on the book I've ever read, his characterization of Tim Drake is a crime against the character. I don't like his Superboy work. I've never read his work on Red Hood and the Outlaws and ATM I have no real interest to and the only I bought his Superman Annual was for the cover.

#15 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

I've liked everything of his that i've read except for the Death of the Family tie-ins, those weren't very good.

#16 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

He is easily one of the worst writers currently working in DC

#17 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

@TeamUnitedNerds: His work on Red Hood and Superman is good.

#18 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

So not a Lobdell fan. H'El on Earth was beyond mediocre with poor characterisation and a redundant plot. The Superman Family has gotten off to a poor start but hopefully Snyder or Diggle will do something about that in the future. Lobdell is surprisingly writing better than Perez or Giffen managed to but that's because of other factors and overall these 2 are better writers. Morrison's Action Comics blows Lobdell's Superman out of the water in terms of understanding the characters. the plot and where it'll all tie up.

this

#19 Posted by SUNMAN (7227 posts) - - Show Bio

not a fan

#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12885 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan.

#21 Posted by toptom (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Hey all! I started this thread to see what supes fan believe about the writer of the main Superman title.

Personally i like where Lobdell goes with superman he seems to have great plans that will expand into the next couple of years.H'el on Earth may be a bit mediocre but i think it was the necessary introduction for what is about to come for the superman family and a way to unite them a bit (since the family was a mess :-P).

I haven't read his other books (and i probably won't :-P) so i can't judge his writing abilities with my limited knowledge of him.

i am totally with you on this.

his run on supes was not so bad as many people believe. for shure it was not exceptional but it wasn't even horrible..we can say that it was a little unoriginal at most.

the only thing that i know is that "h'el on earth" has been 10 times better than george perez's run and 100 times better than the giffen's one. here kal is finally facing a whorty opponent ( i am looking at you anguish and fake,lame predator). plus the art was VERY good,we have had good action and the final opens up many possibilities for future stories.

#22 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a love hate relationship with him. I love certain things, hate others. Kind of like how I feel about Byrne

#23 Posted by JohnnyGat (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobdell has been a hit or miss for me. I love his work on RHATO, but hate his TT, and I'm quite indifferent on his Superman.

#24 Edited by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the art going along since he came, and his story has entertained me, I find him a lot betetr than the last writer I was actually bored to tears reading those and jsut stopped.

#25 Posted by akbogert (3215 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the amount of controversy the guy stirs up is fairly entertaining. Some people really hate his writing, some love it, and even accounting for different tastes that's sort of weird. It seems fair to say he's an inconsistent writer -- depending on the characters and the context, he has the ability to knock it out of the park, but there are situations in which he blatantly flounders. I have adored Red Hood and the Outlaws and that's all on him; but the little tastes I've gotten of Teen Titans left a bad taste in my mouth and, based on what I've read over the months, in darn near everyone else's too. I didn't even know he was writing Superman, and I'm willing to believe it's probably decent based on the comments here...maybe not quite as in his wheelhouse as RHatO seems to be, but good enough.

A lot of folks don't like him because of his personality, though. If you look him up, he actually has an account here on CV (and it's legitimate), and he kinda tore apart some unfavorable reviews of his own writing. Frankly, I think we all have bad days and I'd chalk that more up to being a poor showing than a sign he's always a tool, but I understand why that would just put people off of him for good.

#26 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a hack. I say this not because of all the "controversial "things he's done, but because he's an average writer that for some reason is well liked by DC management. I don't get some of the love he gets online, but thankfully sales show he isn't popular outside of the net.

#27 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (343 posts) - - Show Bio

I quite like him. Enjoyed some of his X-men stuff in the 90's. His work on Red Hood was cool. Didn't read his Teen Titans run. And I don't mind his work on Superman ... the annual was a bit disappointing ... H'el on Earth was good -- maybe not great, but good -- and I think his upcoming stories will be better.

#28 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

big fan of lobdell.

#29 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

He's a hack. I say this not because of all the "controversial "things he's done, but because he's an average writer that for some reason is well liked by DC management. I don't get some of the love he gets online, but thankfully sales show he isn't popular outside of the net.

you should stop going around the internet saying the same you. I think you're the hack.

#30 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

you should stop going around the internet saying the same you. I think you're the hack.

My point exactly. You say anything negative about the guy and you get a bunch of his fanboys getting butthurt and coming to defend him.

#31 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know anything about him beyond his recent work on Superman, and I'm not impressed. Hopefully it picks up after H'El on Earth.

#32 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

My point exactly. You say anything negative about the guy and you get a bunch of his fanboys getting butthurt and coming to defend him.

All I'm saying is that you should substantiate why he is a bad writer if you think so, instead of calling him names.

#33 Posted by The Stegman (23815 posts) - - Show Bio

H'el on Earth is pretty mediocre to be honest, not horrible, but not good either. 

#34 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

The word I would use to describe Scott Lobdell's writing I can't say on here.

#35 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

All I'm saying is that you should substantiate why he is a bad writer if you think so, instead of calling him names.

Except that not what you said. What you said was I was going around the internet trashing him, which isn't even true. I only written about him a few times on comicvine. Then you threw my insult back at me, which didn't even make sense (calling me a hack) and made you look like a loser. It also makes you a hypocrite seeing as your first response to me was you just insulting me and saying that I keep talking trash about Lobdell, and you're telling me to substantiate why I think he's a bad writer (I said average) even though all you wrote for your opinion on Lobdell was "big fan of Lobdell". So apparently it's okay for you not to explain why you like Lobdell, but not for me to explain my dislike for his writing.

And I did explain why I don't like Lobdell. As I wrote, he's an average writer. It's as simple as that. Nothing he writes interests me. There is no "pop" in his stories. His dialogue and characters are mediocre. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not good. It bores me.

#36 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1226 posts) - - Show Bio

not a fan of his new 52 work teen titan has been awful his RHATO has not been good and the superman book has been meh

#37 Posted by Teerack (5756 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's actually making Superman interesting. Which why a lot of people that were fans of Superman before him probably don't like it because it's not as boring anymore.

#38 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

His superman sucks and his rhato is average at best. Never read his teen titans but i heard it sucks too

@Teerack said:

I think he's actually making Superman interesting. Which why a lot of people that were fans of Superman before him probably don't like it because it's not as boring anymore.

Lolno, hel on earth was a total snoozefest

#39 Posted by Teerack (5756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: You thought Superman fighting weather essentially in the first year of the new 52 was entertaining?

#40 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: No, it was terrible

But its like i had to choose between watching an terrible movie or a mediocre movie, the mediocre one is obviously a better choice but i wish i could see an actually good movie

#41 Posted by Teerack (5756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: There are good movies they just have Batman at the start of the tittle. trolololololololol :P

#42 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: What does batman have to do with any of this?

#43 Posted by Teerack (5756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: It was a joke? Never mind -_-

#44 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

Except that not what you said. What you said was I was going around the internet trashing him, which isn't even true. I only written about him a few times on comicvine. Then you threw my insult back at me, which didn't even make sense (calling me a hack) and made you look like a loser. It also makes you a hypocrite seeing as your first response to me was you just insulting me and saying that I keep talking trash about Lobdell, and you're telling me to substantiate why I think he's a bad writer (I said average) even though all you wrote for your opinion on Lobdell was "big fan of Lobdell". So apparently it's okay for you not to explain why you like Lobdell, but not for me to explain my dislike for his writing.

And I did explain why I don't like Lobdell. As I wrote, he's an average writer. It's as simple as that. Nothing he writes interests me. There is no "pop" in his stories. His dialogue and characters are mediocre. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not good. It bores me.

Im not a hypocrite im just giving you a taste of your own medicine. but if you really want to make a legitimate point, your first sentence calling him a hack is just not the way to go and it makes you looks like a butt hurt fanboy. So sure why not, continue what you're doing.

#45 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

Im not a hypocrite im just giving you a taste of your own medicine. but if you really want to make a legitimate point, your first sentence calling him a hack is just not the way to go and it makes you looks like a butt hurt fanboy. So sure why not, continue what you're doing.

LOL, you have nothing. It was fun pwning you, though. Try harder next time.

#46 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: Oh oh oh Believe it, his Titans work is by far, the worst thing I have ever read. I haven't even bothered with his Superman work.

#47 Posted by consolemaster001 (5162 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh,

#48 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1983 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like his run so far really what we needed for Superman. although it isn't golden it is pretty good and although H'EL on Earth was mediocre it's been getting a lot better lately. Scott Lobdell on Superman, Greg Pak on Action and Scott Snyder on Unchained so thing's are looking good for Superman :)

#49 Edited by drgnx (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

No complaints,

Okay, maybe some nitpicking!

The superman lifting feat seems out of place with the Earth's weight, but he is hardly the first or last to use these types of feats.

Death of the family was okay, but seemed like it missed the bang such a massive arc with tie-ins needs. I was expecting an explosive ending but not sure if that's Scott's fault. Lets blame Geoff just because....

H'el on earth was good, seemed like it could have benifitted from being shorter, but I think some of the padded material will be relavent for future arcs, so I'm okay with that in hind sight.

I applaud any Author who changes elements of characters during reboots, as long as it does not effect the core of the character, which is still okay if you're aiming for character growth.

Basically no major issues with his work.

Granted I have not really tracked everyone's work in the past.

He gets bonus points from me for chilling at vine and trying answer questions.

#50 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinking about it Lobdell writes in the story driven mode... This is a problem when you are recreating a universe and characters and western comics in general, but it's serviceable otherwise. This is the case with most of the writers... They're serviceable portrayals for the comics if they weren't recreating an universe.

About the only new52 writer that is better than Serviceable, but isn't showing it right now, that I read is Gail Simone. Geoff Johns is serviceable as a regular writer and Grant Morrison is more or less a parasite on canon...without canon he isn't really fairing well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.