You're ALL Wrong. THIS is How You Make Superman INTERESTING

#1 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people have 3 major complaints about Superman Comics. They weren't addressed before the New52, and they haven't been addressed yet post NEW52.

1. Power Levels

I thought he was just right in the DCAU Justice League, Justice League: Unlimited, and Superman: The Animated Series. I think that his powers should be limited to Super Strength, Flight, LASER Vision, X-Ray Vision, Super Durability, and a Healing Factor. His super speed should only be used in flight to differentiate him from Flash, and he should not be as fast as the Flash. I like his new Kryptonian costume. His stats should be where Thor's are currently.

He doesn't need to jump into space or have super have super memorization or soul vision or super breath or super hearing. He doesn't need Superman robots. And his powers shouldn't be the only things he relies on. He's got investigative skills that I wish played a bigger role. And he has a lot of access to alien information from Krypton.

I wouldn't mind him being called in more by the military to handle Alien conspiracies and Pseudo-Science disasters.

2. Villains

It would help if he had COMPELLING, TRAGIC, SYMPATHETIC, VILLAINS. The problem with his current rogues is not their power levels. It's that there's no reason to care about them, like them, or fear them (with a few exceptions). Superman has his Joker in Lex Luthor, and he has his world crushers in Doomsday and Brainiac. He has his mirror villain in General Zod. But where's his Two-Face? Where's his Hobgoblin? Where's his Catwoman/Black Cat? Where's his Mr. Freeze? Where's his Doc Ock? Where's his court of Owls?

Who the hell cares about Toyman or imps from the 5th dimension or girls with nose rings?

3. Personality

Other than his outfit, Superman doesn't need to be edgy (I have never been a red shorts fan). He's a good, wholesome man--the way his parents raised him to be. He shouldn't have to apologize for that. I'm not saying he should be a dork though. Get rid of boring, bumbling, weak Clark Kent, and use the tougher Clark Kent from the Bruce Timm Cartoons. He should be earnest and good and strong in both persona's--a lot like Steve Rogers in Captain America: The First Avenger.

That's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

*Final Word

If you're a Superman writer, not every story needs to be weird or iconic. All Star Superman pulled those things off okay, but almost every other Superman story fails at that stuff. Just tell great sci fi and crime stories that just happen to star Superman.

#2 Edited by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I wish that DC would clarify his power levels. It's annoying to see current Superman being used in battle threads when he doesn't have the feats to compete in any battle as of yet. The Bruce Timm power set would be interesting but it is important to note Superman did increase in terms of power as he got older. Only ever so slightly though.

2. Obviously Luthor, Brainiac, Zod and Doomsday are the big ones but recently Toyman's portrayal has been an interesting one especially in a Geoff Johns story that explored Toyman's past and revealed that it was a robot that killed Cat Grant's son. As for Mxy, the way he was set up as the mastermind in "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow" and his cruel personality was a twist I would like to see in future incarnations of Mxy. I wish the little man in Action Comics was Mxy but Morrison has said it's a new character.

3. I feel that DC have accomplished this point of yours. He's not edgy, he is still a nice, moral guy who is a bit tougher than his past incarnations. The bumbling trait should still remain as IMO that's what makes the disguise of Clark Kent so effective as it distances Clark away from anyone ever thinking he was Superman. I feel that DC, well Morrison anyway have mixed the two well.

Very interesting article. You've made some very good points here.

#3 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

He should keep his running speed. But its already been clarified that he ain't faster than Flash.

I agree with the guy about the whole bumbling thing Lvenger. It should be taken off and use the mild manner repoter persona.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: I'm all for a mild mannered reporter but the mistakes he made whilst as Clark Kent completed the disguise that no on would ever suspect Clark of being Superman. Still I can see that the bumbling thing does make Superman a target for ridicule in that regard anyway.

#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lvenger: TAS did it well...so there is no need.
#6 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i think people should just stop trying to change who he is all the time. alot of the people who complain about superman have never read a superman comic. So, i think we should stop trying to change him to fit there wants.

#7 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont get what you guys dont find cool and interesting about a guy who comes from another planet yet looks human,has 6 powers can fly has a awsome costume and beat up gl flash and batman at the same time

#8 Posted by azza04 (1492 posts) - - Show Bio

His rouges gallery sucks big time. He has maybe 3 enemies that are half way interesting....but by now they have been done to death. And don't get me started on the aliens threats from the Superman title >_>

#9 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does everybody else seem to hate the red shorts? To me it was always pretty damn funny that the greatest, most powerful man in his world just happened to be the guy who wore his underwear outside his pants. It really puts all those guys in expensive suits to shame.

#10 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04 said:

His rouges gallery sucks big time. He has maybe 3 enemies that are half way interesting....but by now they have been done to death. And don't get me started on the aliens threats from the Superman title >_>

His rouges galley suck yeah ok and Thor or Iron man are better smh

#11 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

He's not edgy, he is still a nice, moral guy who is a bit tougher than his past incarnations.

disagree. He's art always comes out like he's extremely mad about something.He seems edgy to me.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24765 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: he doesn't need to be edgy

#13 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@moywar700: he doesn't need to be edgy

I never claimed that he needed to be edgy.I stated that he looks edgy in the artwork.

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24765 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: I know I just hate when people pull out that "He needs to be more edgy" argument. Most of the people I hear complain about Superman seem to believe that all comic characters need to be Batman

#15 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok One thing I disagree with is that Mr. Mxysptlk is not an Interesting villain. Mxy is arguably the most powerful being in the DCU, he is definitely in the top 5. Plus, I like the idea of an all-powerful being messing around with Superman.

#16 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Edgy enough?

#17 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@CODYSF said:

@azza04 said:

Outside of Batman and Spiderman he has the most number of popular/iconic villains. Who has better villains than him? Wonder Woman? Flash? Hulk? lol.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

@Lvenger said:

He's not edgy, he is still a nice, moral guy who is a bit tougher than his past incarnations.

disagree. He's art always comes out like he's extremely mad about something.He seems edgy to me.

Those are covers, not interior panels. If you wanted to make a case for Superman being edgy, I'd have used scans from Action Comics 1 or 10. Those are the closest instances of Superman being edgy. But still in spite of those, he is still as moral as he was before the reboot. Superman just has some Golden Age tweaks to him and more of a no nonsense attitude about him.

#19 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@moywar700 said:

@Lvenger said:

Those are covers, not interior panels. If you wanted to make a case for Superman being edgy, I'd have used scans from Action Comics 1 or 10. Those are the closest instances of Superman being edgy. But still in spite of those, he is still as moral as he was before the reboot. Superman just has some Golden Age tweaks to him and more of a no nonsense attitude about him.

I disagree. he's not the same as pre-flashpoint. He seems pretty edgy to me.

#20 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read action comics 1.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

@Lvenger said:

@moywar700 said:

@Lvenger said:

@moywar700 said:

See that's the scan I told you to use to say Superman was edgy. And you can't really make a judgement based on one issue when so many other issues have been released which show Superman to have a no nonsense approach but isn't edgy. Why the long wait to read Action Comics 1 given that it's nearly a year since the New 52 kicked off?

#22 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@moywar700 said:

@Lvenger said:

@moywar700 said:

@Lvenger said:

@moywar700 said:

See that's the scan I told you to use to say Superman was edgy. And you can't really make a judgement based on one issue when so many other issues have been released which show Superman to have a no nonsense approach but isn't edgy. Why the long wait to read Action Comics 1 given that it's nearly a year since the New 52 kicked off?

action comics didn't interest me. I just read older issues.

#23 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: I see. Well in the totality of all his appearances in the New 52, Superman's still not an edgy character.

#24 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman needs to be put into situations where his morals are challenged. Back when Superman was new, yeah hes was really cool, but he hasn't deviated much to give any reason to want to read about him.

Also, his super speed shouldn't be uber fast like Flashes. It should be like abnormally higher than a humans, but not so fast that he could run around the world in less than a few hours IMO, except for when he is flying.

#25 Posted by ValendianKnight (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is already interesting as is.

#26 Posted by ComicStooge (14058 posts) - - Show Bio

^ Agreed.

#27 Edited by redwingx (931 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally want DC to remove super speed, seriously he doesn't need it. Superman is all about flying and not running. Also i think Clark should be a Cop and not a reporter. Things would be alot more interesting that way and the benefit is that Clark would be the first to know about where the crimes are happening and whos involved and stuff like that. I also agree about the villains, we need more villains who challenge Superman mentally, his way of justice, his belief.

#28 Edited by ComicStooge (14058 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: Why shouldn't he have super speed? Then he's just another flying brick.

#29 Posted by DrEgonSpengler (567 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I like him having super-speed, and reflexes.

#30 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx: we dont need to change who superman is to make him interesting

#31 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@CODYSF said:

@azza04 said:

Outside of Batman and Spiderman he has the most number of popular/iconic villains. Who has better villains than him? Wonder Woman? Flash? Hulk? lol.

I would argue that Flash does, but I know a lot of people disagree on that. As already pointed out, Superman DOES have good villains... but they've all been extremely overused and overexposed, and people are tired of them. Plus, it seems that for every good villain in his rogues gallery, there are two boring and uninspired ones. Not to mention all the one-trick-ponies, the greatest example being Doomsday, who do pretty much the same thing in every appearance and quickly get boring.

#32 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

He just needs more quality opponents.

#33 Posted by redwingx (931 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@redwingx: Why shouldn't he have super speed? Then he's just another flying brick.

The question is why should he have super speed? He never uses it anyway. Another flying brick? Superman is the first superhero, he was the original, he cant be another brick because he was the first flying brick.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.