Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Your thoughts on Superman costume and powers change?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We all know that Superman is gonna go through an intensive change in 2015. New costume. New powers.

Personally I believe it's too soon to be doing stunts like that, and that major discussions are gonna start all over again.

Some people are gonna love the suit, some are gonna hate it.

And the powers... I don't even want to start that topic, so I'm gonna let you guys and girls, start it for me.

So. What are your thoughts, fears, hopes...?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt that this gonna be permanent change.

Also, I don’t know what to think. I’m ok with New-52 costume, but also I will be ok with changed suit as long as a) it still recognizable as Superman-based; b) no trunks on outside.

Updated powerset, well, I think that his classical powers are pretty much perfect. Hopefully we will their evolution and not complete “WTF what they were thinking” (I’m looking at you, Supermen Red and Blue).

As for now, we don’t really have information on question to judge.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think you're reading too much into it. =)

The costume will probably just drop the collar as a sign of compromise between the pre-52 and N-52 fans,

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JJ_Was_Here

Hoping it will be more in line with Man of steel costume. Maybe lighter for coloring purposes.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

New powers? Like what, the memory-wiping kiss?

Hoping it will be more in line with Man of steel costume. Maybe lighter for coloring purposes.

Best. Idea. Ever.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sovereign91001

Power change is cool, I'm against the idea of a costume change on principal but enough details haven't been released for me to say whether I'll like it or not.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? That costume looks terrible to me. Not only is there no red to break up the blue, there is a pointless weird gold belt thing and it's so incredibly dark and grim. His cape isn't even red, it's maroon!

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: His cape and the S are actually very red. It's the boots that are more maroon. I don't know, I like it way better than the militaristic collar or the pointed cuffs of the new 52. Sure, there is no red to break it up, but on screen there doesn't really need to be, in my opinion. I like it.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: His cape and the S are actually very red. It's the boots that are more maroon. I don't know, I like it way better than the militaristic collar or the pointed cuffs of the new 52. Sure, there is no red to break it up, but on screen there doesn't really need to be, in my opinion. I like it.

How are they red? They look too dark and much closer to maroon or burgundy than me. The blue as well is very dark...just not a fan of the costume at all.

On screen breaking up the blue is just as necessary as any other medium, imo.

Each to their own though.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're reading too much into it. =)

The costume will probably just drop the collar as a sign of compromise between the pre-52 and N-52 fans,

What's wrong with a collar? The House of El was apparently a pretty high house on Krypton and I think it makes him look far more majestic and regal compared to the past outfit.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MPfly88

Wait he's getting a power change, or new powers? Cause there is a difference guys. If by change he's losing his old powers and getting new ones, then yeah this is gonna be pretty temporary. If he's getting a new power or two, it's possible it could be permanent.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He will have his old powers just some new addition. He does not really need any new powers to me.He is already powerful as is.

Since what we have seen from Wraith and the different powers he has.One has to wonder if he is going to learn one of Wraith Powers or Something entirely different.

Like the Magnetic field or shield.

We have seen Supergirl release her energy causing explosion.PowerGirl and Superman doing that as well in Superman and Batman.One would have to guess he will have better control of his energy.

This is just me guesting if we are to go by what is possible from what has happen in comics so far.

We just have to wait before we know what it will really be. It would be really good ,if Wraith was the one who teach him about his new powers.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

He will have his old powers just some new addition. He does not really need any new powers to me.He is already powerful as is.

Since what we have seen from Wraith and the different powers he has.One has to wonder if he is going to learn one of Wraith Powers or Something entirely different.

Like the Magnetic field or shield.

We have seen Supergirl release her energy causing explosion.PowerGirl and Superman doing that as well in Superman and Batman.One would have to guess he will have better control of his energy.

This is just me guesting if we are to go by what is possible from what has happen in comics so far.

We just have to wait before we know what it will really be. It would be really good ,if Wraith was the one who teach him about his new powers.

Ok, that would be pretty cool. Honestly, given the three weaknesses/vulnerabilities that modern Superman has, I don't see the harm in giving him another power.

Roy_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Roy_el

I always thought it was weird that Superman's only energy attack is heat vision. Would be interesting to see him find other ways to use it.

But damn that would just make him even more powerful... Lol

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the more the merrier, why not increase the gap between him and everyone else by say 500% or maybe a million

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I don't care about the new power(at least yet, depends in what it is or how he gets it) but I am all for a costume change!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Squalleon

Also POWER people, single, he gets one single power, not an updated powerset neither a completely new one. I thought this should be noted so speculations and rage don't go rampant.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SilverPool

I'm cool with it.

There are quite a few alt costumes of superheroes that I prefer over the originals.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Dang, new powers? I hope these powers don't redefine him and just add to the arsenal. A new suit will be neat, too.

Avatar image for awesometacularman
    awesometacularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know some people are all like "no why would you change Superman" but the costume change wouldn't be to bad I mean I'm okay with the New 52 suit but I don't mind if they change it just as long as they don't give him trunks on the outside.

My Personal thoughts are I would love if the costume design was:

One of These(My first pick however would be the first one)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

And as for the New Powers I just hope they simply expand his already existing arsenal I personally would really like it if they gave him Telekinesis and Solar Constructs and while the Telekinesis wouldn't really go with his power set I think it's cool but the Solar Constructs would actually make a lot of sense if he can absorb Solar Energy shouldn't he be able to manipulate a fraction of the energy he absorbs and use that to make Solar Constructs.

So I really don't mind on either just as long as they don't change his character cause let's face it his awesome.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@goonage said:

This costume is perfect.

Not the word I'd use but I do agree that it looks really, really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What new powers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

What new powers

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-2011/superman-38

"A new year brings a new power and a new look from the epic team of Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson in the extra-sized conclusion of their first arc! The showdown between Superman and Ulysses will push the Man of Steel to new extremes – and Superman’s new look is revealed as Clark Kent tells his true identity to one of the cast. Plus a surprise guest-star!"

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@jayc1324 said:

What new powers

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-2011/superman-38

"A new year brings a new power and a new look from the epic team of Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson in the extra-sized conclusion of their first arc! The showdown between Superman and Ulysses will push the Man of Steel to new extremes – and Superman’s new look is revealed as Clark Kent tells his true identity to one of the cast. Plus a surprise guest-star!"

The surprice guest star has been confirmed to be Batman!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Oh that actually sounds pretty sweet. Makes me wish I was reading this series.

Avatar image for supermankingofheroes
    supermankingofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon:

I want magic removed as a weakness , meaning it affects like any superman type character

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon:

I want magic removed as a weakness , meaning it affects like any superman type character

Thats pretty much how it is now.But there are always writers ignorant(or deliberately ignorant) to how a character works.

Its just that people think of it as a weakness. Superman isn't weak to magic, he just hasn't any special defence against it. Meaning if there is a magic sword that can cut anything then that sword can cut Superman too. Also one of Superman's most famous rivals Captain Marvel is magic powered and Superman goes toe to toe with him, because he isn't "weak" to beings who are impowered by magic, even Cap Marvel's magic-generated thunders have shown to not being able to take down Superman easy.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: That's who Romita wanted to draw all along, some how we got stuck with him. =D

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@lvenger: Oh that actually sounds pretty sweet. Makes me wish I was reading this series.

I hear the last issue wasn't that good but it's better than most of the other trash Superman stories we've gotten in The New 52.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

He's getting a new costume? This is the best thing I've ever seen :O :O :O

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By buttersdaman000

1. Expansion of his energy absorption: I always thought Superman was a bit limited by his dependency on a yellow sun for energy. I know the obvious problems with it have already been addressed with his ability to store that energy, but I would prefer an expansion. Yellow sun radiation could be what his body best metabolizes, but he should also be open to absorbing different kinds of energy, and actively at that. There's even a cool story in which Superman absorbed heat from Earths core so this isn't anything new. Writers just need to bring it back!

2. Offensive energy powers: Kara has that solar AoE blast so it only makes sense that Clark has it too. I don't really want to see Superman shooting energy beams out his hands, however. Though, I wouldn't mind if his new power was sort of a combination of #1 and #2, where he can actively absorb foreign radiation (anything not solar), and immediately use it offensively. He can't store it for long though since his body won't metabolize it correctly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.