Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

your favorite superman stories

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NewKid

i've always been a batman fan, but since the dc relaunch, i've branched out in to reading many more dc characters, some of which are awesome.

i really like some of the superman stuff i've read. current action comics is great (superman not so much)

i read a few older ones too... i loved superman for all seasons and all star superman in particular, i also really liked red son.

so what are some other ones (preferably stand alone stories?) that you would definately recommend i check out?

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedOwl_1

Action Comics 775, Superman: Earth One and Birthright are my favourites (Yeah pretty average)

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twentyfive

For the Man Who Has Everything is a good Supes story.

Superman fans like myself have to be VERY patient. Superman is the most difficult superhero to write for.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#4  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

would anyone suport the creation of a top 100 Superman stories list? just a question for future reference...

I know Primm supported the idea when he was still here, but as he as left me in the dust I was just curious what the other sups suporters thought...

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By GunGunW

All Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Superman: Secret Origin, Superman and Batman: Public Enemies, Superman and Batman: The Search for Kryptonite, and Superman and Batman: Finest Worlds

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Deranged Midget

Superman Birthright, Red Son, For Tomorrow, What's so Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?, Secret Origin, Death of Superman.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By z3ro180

@The Poet: id help if you want plus it sounds like fun

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Z3RO180: cool. maybe in a few months I'll organize that community project...

I'll try to remember to pm you about being a nominator for that project...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By z3ro180

@The Poet: Cool thanks dude

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SandMan_
    @The Poet said:

would anyone suport the creation of a top 100 Superman stories list? just a question for future reference...

I know Primm supported the idea when he was still here, but as he as left me in the dust I was just curious what the other sups suporters thought...

I would :D
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By sethysquare

@The Poet said:

I would too.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onemoreposter

Man of Steel mini-series by John Byrne. Day of the Krypton Man (first Lobo vs Superman) forget the author but possibly Jurgens? Red Son and Kingdom Come both by Mark Waid. All Star Superman by Grant Morrison.

Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen. Return of Superman.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@SandMan_: @sethysquare: cool. I'll get back to you guys in a few weeks. I'm working a huge revamp project for the fan fic section, but after that is done I'll contact you guys about being nominators.

SM: that is 3 nominators (if I count you). you are probably going to say yes, but I should ask anyway: do you think we can get at the very least 126 stories (as in mini series, one-shots, story arcs, and whatnot)? i ask because about that number because that is the number we got for the batman project.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sethysquare

@The Poet said:

@SandMan_: @sethysquare: cool. I'll get back to you guys in a few weeks. I'm working a huge revamp project for the fan fic section, but after that is done I'll contact you guys about being nominators.

SM: that is 3 nominators (if I count you). you are probably going to say yes, but I should ask anyway: do you think we can get at the very least 126 stories (as in mini series, one-shots, story arcs, and whatnot)? i ask because about that number because that is the number we got for the batman project.

Sorry im a bit confused. Are you saying top 100 superman stories like secret origins, for tomorrow and stuff like that or top 100 fanfics, like we're supposed to be writing fanfics to make up 100 stories.

Its the former right?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sethysquare

@The Poet said:

@sethysquare: actual stories like Death of Superman or such. To see what i want to do check out the Batman version of the list I've hosted previously: Comic Vine's Top 100 Batman Universe Stories

oh alrights thats what i was thinking as well. great.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By the_tree

For Tomorrow, Godfall, Brainiac, Last Son, New Krypton saga,

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sethysquare

I think Superman would be at a disadvantage though. Batman has lotsa great stories also partly due to the fact that he has so many supporting characters. Death in the family, Killing joke, Battle of the cowl, all did not involve Batman (sorta) but were still considered Batman stories. And its not like we can count crisis on infinite earth as a Superman story considering Supergirl did die in crisis. Nevertheless, I think it'll be fun to do this.

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NewKid

thanks everyone :)

i've read a few of the ones suggested. think i'm going to check out birthright, secret origin and for tomorrow.. of the ones i haven't read, they're the ones that seem to crop up the most.

@The Poet: i think maybe a top 50 for superman, seeing as his great stories seem to be a rarer occurrence. but i would be well up for a supes list.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@NewKid: well, the amount I am going to leave to the discretion of @SandMan_: as it is his idea (forgot to mention that part). If he thinks we can do 100, then I'll go with 100. Up to him. I would probably only be host (I know the obvious ones but I'm far from knowledgable on the subject of sups and I would probably use the list as a check list for what i have read and haven't read).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.