Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Would you like a Luthor ongoing?

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By 2cool4fun

I honestly think this is as good a time as any for him to get his own series, I loved his story in Action comics back before new 52, and he is a hero now, so it's easier to make a story for him, cause as a villain he really only fight the big guy and occasionally the JL.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think it could work.

Would make a great addition to the hero people.

Would love to see earth vs Battle world where all the heroes just band together and defend the world.

Lets see whom all would step up to the plate and what kind of story would come of that.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

nah.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am not sure, probably not.

I think good villains are at their best in small doses. So when they appear they should mean something.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I agree, but he is a hero now, which is probably the only chance DC will have in the next who knows how many years to do an actual series about him that won't get old fast.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@squalleon: I agree, but he is a hero now, which is probably the only chance DC will have in the next who knows how many years to do an actual series about him that won't get old fast.

I don't see the "hero" part staying for long. Plus Luthor had an ongoing recently in Black ring, which was pretty mediocre imo.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: Yeah, I'm not sure whether he will be staying as a hero for much longer....

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was something in the vein (vain?) of Lex Luthor: Man of Steel then maybe. Written from his point of view sort of thing.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Luthor ongoing would be amazing, at least as much as the Sinestro series has been, but I see a lot more potential with Luthor.

It could borrow from the MoS series and expand on its themes.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only a good writer is working on it, maybe if Cullen Bunn but he already has 4 DC titles.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Maybe. I'd like to see a mini series about his time as a hero.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure, probably not.

I think good villains are at their best in small doses. So when they appear they should mean something.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depending on the creative team. Morrison, Johns or Azzarello would be the ideal writers but with his current track record Bunn would.be interesting also.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Superguy1591

Yes, hopefully by Geoff Johns since he loves Luthor.

Or Morrison. I feel like Morrison's writing would fit Luthor.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: It would be great if Johns did it, I mean he is the reason Luthor is a hero in the first place.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the trouble with any villain getting their own series is that they always end up being portrayed to heroic

so I say that it would not work

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Lvenger

It needs the right writer, story and direction to work well but it's definitely possible. Azzarello, Morrison, Johns and Cornell are just a few examples who could write a damn good Lex Luthor series that would encapsulate the villain without making him easily sympathetic or heinously dislikeable.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It needs the right writer, story and direction to work well but it's definitely possible. Azzarello, Morrison, Johns and Cornell are just a few examples who could write a damn good Lex Luthor series that would encapsulate the villain without making him easily sympathetic or heinously dislikeable.

Indeed. I love Azzarello but I feel that hus run would be essentially an expanded version of the MoS miniseries. I'd much rather see what Morrison would do with the character.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Sadly best we'll ever get is Cullen Bunn. Morrison is writing his indie stuff, johns is not allowed to write anything nowadays because he's busy on live adaptations and idk if Azzarello wants to write anything DC or DC wants him to write.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182: Bunn's already occupied though with other DC stuff, some Marvel stuff and maybe some indies though.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Sadly best we'll ever get is Cullen Bunn. Morrison is writing his indie stuff, johns is not allowed to write anything nowadays because he's busy on live adaptations and idk if Azzarello wants to write anything DC or DC wants him to write.

Morrison is still doing his multiversity thing with DC, and Azzarello is on Detective Comics. Either of them could conceivably take over such a book when they finish what they are currently doing, but such a book is unlikely to happen in the first place.

Johns is too hit and miss for me to ever want him on anything.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Azzarello is not on Detective Comics and although Morrison's Multiversity is almost done, he said he'll be focusing on indie stuff for now.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MuyJingo

@deathfalcon182 said:

@muyjingo: Azzarello is not on Detective Comics and although Morrison's Multiversity is almost done, he said he'll be focusing on indie stuff for now.

Indeed, why do I get Azzarello and Buccellatto mixed up. Buccellatto could be interesting as well.

It still doesn't matter, either of them could change their minds if presented with the opportunity and may well want to take it.

Since that won't happen, speculation is moot.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it would work.

Lex has an ego too much big to fit in any comic.

And what would his stories be about? Him killing people, creating monsters, making shady deals, obsessing over Superman...?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole basics of Lex Luther is that he has been short changed through the years.

If you do him right you make him and Clark friends again , you make him and clark see a great evil that is coming and Lex has to pretend to be evil to find out what the evil is that is coming.

So all the world thinks Lex is this bad guy when in fact he is simply waiting on the real bad guy to show up and defend the world.

It really depends on the story and what you wish to tell in so said story.

Any character can shine in the proper light.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it would work.

Lex has an ego too much big to fit in any comic.

And what would his stories be about? Him killing people, creating monsters, making shady deals, obsessing over Superman...?

Um have you read The Black Ring by any chance? One of the best Lex Luthor stories ever and a perfect example of how to do a Lex Luthor comic right. Give it a try, I'd highly recommend it.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

It'd be interesting seeing that it seems like every villain is getting a shot nowadays.

If not Luthor it'd be fun to see a Bizarro ongoing. The Rogues would be fun too.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jogga

No.

God no...

Luthor works best when he's an antagonist.

I do not want to read about a guy I essentially despise, to be the protagonist of a series. It'll make heroes look ineffective on the long run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.