Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Would the superhero genre really never exist..

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By silver_archer

Would the superhero genre really never exist if Superman was never created? And without him would we probably NEVER see Wonder Woman or Spiderman, etc or would his creation be inevitable and even if he wasn't created, something else like him would and would've started/sparked the superhero genre or something similar to it? This question may have been asked a few times before but the answers I saw never really "answered" my question. And I'm pretty curious to see what others think because, a lot of people always go on about how without him there would be no superhero genre, and how the word "superhero" stems from Superman and how people who came before him like Hercules, or The Phantom qualify as just "heroes" and so on and so fourth, so yeah.

greenarrowfan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By greenarrowfan12
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

pulps and the phantom could still very popular

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There would still be batman

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally believe the super hero genre still would have been created at one point or another. Things would likely be different but im sure somebody at some point would have created a super hero which would have probably lead to the creation of the genre.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: Too bad Finger and Kane were inspired by Superman to make Batman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Not really. The creation of Batman has little to do with superman

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: besides the fact that DC wouldn't have had Kane draw up a Batman character due to the success of their Superman? Yeah, nothing at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: DC told Kane to create a superhero like Superman and commissioned Fingers to assist in it. Kane had the concept of a Superman, but without the powers.

No Superman, no Batman. I know how much you guys don't like to think that, but it is true.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Yes but it probably wouldn't be called the "super"hero genre. Somebody would have thought of a powered hero eventually.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: they didn't say think of a guy like superman actually... There's nothing to suggest "no superman no Batman" you have no idea how long Kane had that idea. All DC said was make a superhero. Not make a guy like superman.

Avatar image for killerinstinct4588
    killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

@jayc1324: DC told Kane to create a superhero like Superman and commissioned Fingers to assist in it. Kane had the concept of a Superman, but without the powers.

No Superman, no Batman. I know how much you guys don't like to think that, but it is true.

Pretty much. I've watch an 90min documentary on it.

Also I don't think DC commissioned Bob kane to make an exact hero like Superman, but because Superman was a hit they probably commission Bob to create something as good as Superman. Well that's what I got from watching it.

But either way Batman was created due to the success Superman, and that's not a bad thing either...

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@jayc1324: batman was really only considered to be a detective/mystery man at the time. If the superhero genre had never gained steam then Bats probably would have remained that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

That's not how I know the story. Finger had the idea and Kane being a business savy man got Batman to DC and Kane's name all over Batman.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Night4345

No 'Super'heroes. Pulp and Mystery genres would have continued most likely. Batman would have stayed a detective instead of what he is now.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

without Batman DC would would have a hard time trying to catch up to marvel.

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I agree with that. Considering how my grandparents, parents and many others are still pretty astounded by how fast time has flown/things have changed, I guess his creation or something like him would've eventually became inevitable.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Reread your history then. Kane coined the concept of the Batman after DC wanted more heroes like Superman--the term Superheroes as many have pointed out comes from Superman like heroes--Fingers made the concept into a recognizable character.

No Superman means No Batman.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

I personally believe the super hero genre still would have been created at one point or another. Things would likely be different but im sure somebody at some point would have created a super hero which would have probably lead to the creation of the genre.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Superguy1591

@rustyroy: yeah, I know you guys don't want to recognize Superman's role in history or that he influenced the creation of Batman, but that's why he's often termed the Granddaddy of all superheroes and why he's the most important of them all.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

It would existed but it would bloom later.

@superguy1591 said:

That's not how I know the story. Finger had the idea and Kane being a business savy man got Batman to DC and Kane's name all over Batman.

Batman was indeed created as a response to Superman. DC was looking for another hero in tights and Kane brought them Bats. Or at least thats what I have seen in documentaries, that DC made it clear to artists that they wanted another Superman and Finger and Kane created Batman as the complete opposite to differenciate him.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: yeah, I know you guys don't want to recognize Superman's role in history or that he influenced the creation of Batman, but that's why he's often termed the Granddaddy of all superheroes and why he's the most important of them all.

Don't put words in my mouth. Where did I say that I don't think he influenced Batman's creation? But to believe that there won't be a superhero genre without him is absurd, maybe it would've taken much more time but someone would've come up with an idea of super powered comic book hero. And you're saying I don't recognize Superman's role in history? I was the only one arguing with another user on a different thread that Superman started the whole Superhero genre, not you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

I guess what would happen like if a idea or concept was created from another person. Probably would be diferent or have a diferent impact.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Well, I apologize, I just got lost in the confusion. Also, no one said no one would have thought up the idea of superheroes.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a really good question.

You know that there are defining moments in our history, people whose dreams and ambition propeled some aspect of our society forward, making other people think of new things that were never thought before. In a way Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster did that with Superman.

True that it was an entirely different Superman, but never the less it was very important. It is also true that if superman hadn't been created maybe some other hero would have fill in the shoes. But does that mean it would have done so has well as Superman?! I don't think so. When I look at Superman I see the basis for any hero, he inspired and still inspires a lot of writers. And many other comics have clear inspiration in Superman. When I look at heroes like Apollo, Mr. Majestic, and many others, I can't help but see them has altered versions of Superman.

Superman till this day he continues to be a great icon figure when people think of the term super-hero. Even when I look at characters like Batman, I find it more easy to relate and believe in Superman than Batman. And in many ways he's more human than Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.