Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Would Superman Be Popular if He Had no Powers?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I've always had the mindset that if Superman was created without powers he wouldn't be nearly as iconic, famous or popular as he is now yes his personality is all about truth, justice and the American way but Captain America is pretty much the same way. The reason why Superman is at the level he's at and Cap isn't is because Superman has powers Cap doesn't. So I think if you take away Superman's powers you take away what truly makes him iconic, then again he wouldn't really be Superman if he had no super powers, but lets say DC took away his powers and they'd stay gone forever do you think the fans (mainly non comic book fans) would still like him?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

Not as popular, no. His whole concept is that he's got insane power, but he still chooses to fight for the common good when he could just as easily reign as a god.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

His name would be RegularMan then. And no one cares about a regular man.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Primmaster64

Normalman?

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

excuse me but this is a stupid question. as long as he would be like batman yes he would but being a regular man without powers well i would not mind you would not mind i gues neither anybody would mind. question to you @Jack Donaghy: would you like wolverine without his claws? or hal jordan without his ring?

benjoe11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benjoe11

@Sir_Deadpool said:

would you like wolverine without his claws? or hal jordan without his ring?

Thats kinda what I was thinking...he's SUPERman...how SUPER would he be without his powers?

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@Sir_Deadpool said:

excuse me but this is a stupid question. as long as he would be like batman yes he would but being a regular man without powers well i would not mind you would not mind i gues neither anybody would mind. question to you @Jack Donaghy: would you like wolverine without his claws? or hal jordan without his ring?

Yes I would Wolverine isn't defined by his claws, it's a big part of him yes but unlike Superman 99% of the time he actually has a personality to interest people other than his claws/powers. And I find Hal Jordan boring regardless of whether he has a ring or not.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@benjoe11: SUPERbad haha!

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@Jack Donaghy: we ca argue or not but its the powers that make the characters special. even if you dont like a character you have to agree that these characters would be less interesting than with powers!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Look up at the balcony, is it a bird? is it a plane? No its HU-man!

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MrDirector786

@spiderbat87 said:

Look up at the balcony, is it a bird? is it a plane? No its HU-man!

lol

Without powers, he wouldn't be Superman at all. So I doubt he'd be as popular.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By MetropolisKid41

If Superman wasn't created with Super powers than neither he or comic book heroes in general would exist. He was the first Superhero afterall, an idea that was scoffed at and laughable at the time. Batman would not exist without Superman. Now if he were to lose his powers (which has been done before in the comics, as well as what seemed like 2-3 times per season in Smallville) I think that could be an interesting story, but wouldn't be neccessary, since Clark is so human and grounded (not as in the abandoned JMS Grounded story arc, but I mean down to earth), where as Hal defined himself by the ring. Point is, this question is moot, because if he hadn't been created as Superman and faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation because superheroes wouldn't exist. Do his powers make him interesting yes, would I still buy a comic book in which he suddenly loses all his power and has to cope, yes. But in 1938 if they had created a comic solely about Clark Kent would who had no powers and fought crime, would it be popular? Yes because he would be essentially Captain America or Batman, but a couple of years before they were created so we'd like him just the same.

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By fACEmelter88

STUPID QUESTION

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.