Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

With New Costumes Comes New Super Powers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    No Caption Provided

The story climaxes in the new issue with the consequences of what Ulysses tried to do and how Superman has to stop him, and with that comes the development of a new power — adding to the super strength, X-ray vision, heat vision, flying, etc. — that is an extension of the Man of Steel's physiology.

Whether it's a net positive or negative for the character "depends on your point of view," Johns teases. "It's definitely the most destructive power Superman has. And he's not exactly excited about it because it is so dangerous and there are consequences.

"It's not going to be suddenly he can levitate things," he adds. "It's something that is going to be very unstable and something that Superman's going to have to deal with for quite a while."

New power, fresh look for Man of Steel in 'Superman'

It looks to me like it's a mini solarflair. Maybe Supes can now discharge all his stored energy in one big burst now?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

@squalleon: Wouldn't that be suicide? I mean a power that realeases all his energy should definetly destroy whatever planet he is on at the time and without his powers he should die in outer space.

I don't feel like giving Superman a new power after all these years is a good idea. He already has what is essentially a random combination of abilities and what do we do if more writers start giving him powers, nobody wants to return to the times he made up new powers on the spot.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Ha I was actually wondering to myself if this would severely weaken him

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So he goes quasi-super saiyan now?

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nah nah why would he want to be less powerful. Trolololol

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

@dernman said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Nah nah why would he want to be less powerful. Trolololol

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: It isn't about making him more powerful, it's about how this new power will affect Superman. Also it's not like DC would let writers just invent random powers for him.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll never get use to this artstyle. And I can deal with it, the downside effect of this power seems fair, haven't seen Kara use her sonic scream lately so I doubt Clark will be spamming this

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more the merrier, Superman can never be powerful enough.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@jonny_anonymous said:

New power, fresh look for Man of Steel in 'Superman'

It looks to me like it's a mini solarflair. Maybe Supes can now discharge all his stored energy in one big burst now?

You hit the nail in the head. Rumors surfaced two days ago, agreeing with you it seems the "Solar Flare" will leave Superman powerless for 24 hours.

Yep looks like that CBR poster I found on the Superman forums was right on the money.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

The more the merrier, Superman can never be powerful enough.

Yep he does need more ways to prove he's superior to Wonder Woman after all.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It makes sense since Supergirl has a similar power, but i'm really not liking the side-effects. It really just makes the power seem like a plot device.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Wouldn't that be suicide? I mean a power that realeases all his energy should definetly destroy whatever planet he is on at the time and without his powers he should die in outer space.

I don't feel like giving Superman a new power after all these years is a good idea. He already has what is essentially a random combination of abilities and what do we do if more writers start giving him powers, nobody wants to return to the times he made up new powers on the spot.

I think you're overreacting. I highly doubt we'll get anything like the Silver Age.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Superguy1591

He should be learn how to absorb them like Ulysses.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lvenger

Definite Confirmation/Spoilers on Superman's New Power

Details in the spoiler block below:

No Caption Provided
    DC Comics has passed along an infographic that reveals Superman’s new power as part of a timeline of his previously discovered abilities.
    The Super Flare is an ability connected to Superman’s heat vision that emerges for the first time during his desperate battle with Ulysses. Superman’s plan to save Ulysses’ adopted world didn’t work out and his former friend is out for revenge.

What the previews don’t tell you is that Superman’s new power has a pretty steep price and he doesn’t have much control over it. It has the potential to make his life very difficult in the near future, but I’ll refrain from spoiling the reason for that.

Source: Crave Online

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought superman was slightly underpowered.

Troll-face.pnj

Glarinetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcdavid said:

I always thought superman was slightly underpowered.

Troll-face.pnj

Pretty much this ^^. If some actually would read Superman comics they would release that he isn't that powerful. Too many character can beat his ass. Anyway that new power looks great, but if he loses his powers for 24h I'm so pissed...

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By STELIOS23

looks good can't wait for the ramifications and new story lines concerning this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.