Will superman ever reach 50's level poularity again?

#1 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Will supes ever reach that peak of popularity again? Or is he cursed to be one of the most hated and ignored superheroes forever.

#2 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

Will supes ever reach that peak of popularity again? Or is he cursed to be one of the most hated and ignored forever.

No he will not.

Hated? Ignored? Also No.

#3 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Superman is popular...just not as Bats at the moment. If MOS is a hit, you'll see a lot of people all of a sudden saying Superman is they're fav and blah,blah.

Hated? Only by ignorant idiots...

#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he can be. BUT only if DC lets me write him!

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

But Superman is not the only superhero who will never again match his peak of popularity.

#6 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. The culture has changed too much for him to reach that level again, and if they wrote him for more popular appeal, then he wouldn't really be Superman anymore would he? I know I'd hate him if they catered him to self involved emo wankers.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Nope. Superman is popular...just not as Bats at the moment. If MOS is a hit, you'll see a lot of people all of a sudden saying Superman is they're fav and blah,blah. Hated? Only by ignorant idiots...

Mhm...

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

How is he ignored? Even with his excess of haters now days he's still well known super hero in the history of the genre, as proof they're called Super heroes, not Bat heroes, not Spider heroes but Super heroes. He's the originator of the name for his genre, aside from that he's gone beyond comic fame to the status of pop culture Icon along the lines of Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and the like. There are people in third world countries who've never seen a comic know not only who he is but at least 2 members of his supporting cast and his arch enemy.

#9 Posted by TheInfamousGod (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: lol

#10 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

IN LOBEDELL AND MORRISON WE TRUST

These Guys Can Potentially Bring The Man of Steel Back to His Former Glory.

#11 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

How is he ignored? Even with his excess of haters now days he's still well known super hero in the history of the genre, as proof they're called Super heroes, not Bat heroes, not Spider heroes but Super heroes. He's the originator of the name for his genre, aside from that he's gone beyond comic fame to the status of pop culture Icon along the lines of Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and the like. There are people in third world countries who've never seen a comic know not only who he is but at least 2 members of his supporting cast and his arch enemy.

yeah people know who he is but, that doesnt mean that they like him. All the great batbooks like long halloween, year one, and Batman:Earth One and even bad like DKR, DKSA, and All-star batman and Robin get a lot of attention but, a lot of good superman books( with the exception of All-star superman) like Red Son, Brithright, for all seasons, and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow arent very well known and dont get to much attention

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24690 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: Most of Superman's problems come from the fact that so many people who know nothing about the character aside from silver age crap and super friends come in talking s**t and refuse to give any credit where its due keeping new readers that don't know they're mostly full of s**t from even giving him a chance. I'm not saying all the haters are ignorant but quite a large percentage of them are. Like the guys who say crap like he's unbeatable, or arrogant or too unrealistic (cause a billionaire playboy genius that's good at everything, can take punches from gods and dodge machine gun fire is totally realistic)

#13 Posted by btmt (222 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Nope. Superman is popular...just not as Bats at the moment. If MOS is a hit, you'll see a lot of people all of a sudden saying Superman is they're fav and blah,blah. Hated? Only by ignorant idiots...

@joshmightbe said:

OK, totally agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen and met many peoples, who just know only about only Superman not any other superheroes.

SUPERMAN is the only hero which is known by almost everyone in every corner of the world.

#14 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Eternal19: Most of Superman's problems come from the fact that so many people who know nothing about the character aside from silver age crap and super friends come in talking s**t and refuse to give any credit where its due keeping new readers that don't know they're mostly full of s**t from even giving him a chance. I'm not saying all the haters are ignorant but quite a large percentage of them are. Like the guys who say crap like he's unbeatable, or arrogant or too unrealistic (cause a billionaire playboy genius that's good at everything, can take punches from gods and dodge machine gun fire is totally realistic)

Agreed. Sums up people's perception of Superman. It's one thing to read Superman and say "It's not for me." It's an entirely different thing to say "I Don't have to read it to know it sucks." (Which seems to be most people's response to Superman)

#15 Posted by Monika (45 posts) - - Show Bio

No but neither will Batman or any other comic character from decades ago if you are referring to popularity in the overall population because comics are a niche market now and things don't seem to be going in a direction that will change any time soon (and that's a good thing because comics that appealed to "the masses" were crap, nobody considers them essential but collectors).

If you mean popularity in proportion to the comic audience, also no because there's always more comics to be enjoyed whereas before you had to choose between Superman, Batman, Captain America, Rawhide Kid, Tales of Suspense, Young Romance and Vault of Horror and that was it so if you wanted a superhero comic where the character was super, Superman was basically the entire market. So again, the fact that he won't return to his peak is a good thing.

Hated or ignored, though? That's just an Internet concept because the majority -not all, why deal in absolutes- of people who post on the Internet are by nature the type of demographic that would prefer Batman (if you don't know what I mean, you haven't been on the Internet enough). Sales figures argue otherwise and they are the only thing that actually matters.

#16 Edited by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: Are you referring to his popularity by comic book readers or his popularity in the general population. Both, I think you'll find, are not as low as you are imagining.

From the comic book reader perspective (and not mixing Marvel and DC together, just talking DC numbers), Superman comics consistently sell in the top ten month after month (again, just looking at DC numbers), with Action Comics generally being in the top 5 more often than not in a given year. Those are good numbers considering the sheer volume of series that DC pumps out a month and the wide range of readers that collection of titles is meant to reach. Even when throwing Marvel into the mix Action Comics is in the top 15 month after month.

So clearly comic book readers aren't ignoring him.

From the general population perspective........I was just at Disney World for Labor Day and I saw dozens of kids and adults wearing Superman t-shirts (and to expand on this, the other three popular character t-shirts, by kids and adults, are Spider-Man, Green Lantern, and Captain America.....wasn't a Batman shirt to be seen anywhere). Go to Wal-Mart or Target and you see Superman merchandise all over the place; from backpacks and lunch boxes to underwear, pajamas, color books, cards, etc... Again, you won't see as much Batman stuff and the next biggest superhero, in terms of merchandise, would be Spider-Man. When you were a kid did you pretend to zip-line around Gotham like Batman or fly through the air and smash the crap out of stuff like Superman? Personally I choose Superman and I'm sure a lot of other kids did to. Even when I work or interact with kids today they all want to be like Superman (or Spider-Man), not Batman.

When Superman's 50th birthday came up he was celebrated in Time magazine. When DC killed him off it was front page news.

He's still referenced in films, games, books, songs, and more forms of entertainment than any other superhero still in publication.

So clearly the general population isn't ignoring him either.

By sales we can see Superman is still a popular character with the comic book reading community. By his sheer everywhereness in the general population he is still popular with non-comic book readers. Is it at the level that it was in the 40's and 50's? Absolutely not. Then again, no superhero really was until the last decade of superhero movies and non-comic book readers began to take greater interest in them. Yet despite having far more movies than Superman, Batman is not as popular in the general populace as he is in the comic book world (sorry fanboys/fangirls, its true) and that's proven just by what people wear and buy relating to the character.

There is one thing that will always keep Superman alive, despite how corny readers may find him or how bad his stories may be, to the world (and especially to children) he's that moral pinnacle that people will always fall back on. Yeah, Batman might be cool, but nobody wants a world filled with Batmen/women. The characters not cool anymore if everyone is like him because of all the negatives that come with his character as well. Fans might be drawn to an anti-hero for the thrill of it but in the end they recognize that type of person wouldn't be their best friend in real life. On the other hand, a world of Supermen/women is an ideal desire. Who wouldn't want a world in which everyone had all of Superman's powers yet wouldn't have to worry about crime or hate or pain because everyone was as good, honest, moral, caring, etc, etc, as the Man of Steel?

So I have to say I think you're idea of Superman, his popularity, impact on culture, and both the reader and non-reader audience is completely wrong because you are looking at it purely from the perspective of someone that wants to read stories more like Batman without addressing the broader range that Superman resonates with people aside from their need for "coolness".

#17 Posted by Z3RO180 (6324 posts) - - Show Bio

At the momment all the Superman haters i know of on this site hate him because he is ''Unrealtable'' witch is bull cause like lobdell said in an intervew on this verry site superman is the most relatable witch is true and is MOS is a hit like sandman said alot of people will do a complete 180 turn on how they feel about supes.

#18 Posted by toptom (1155 posts) - - Show Bio

no. he will not be at that level anymore, not him of anyone else tough. the world is soo changed by then

#19 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#20 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

At the momment all the Superman haters i know of on this site hate him because he is ''Unrealtable'' witch is bull cause like lobdell said in an intervew on this verry site superman is the most relatable witch is true and is MOS is a hit like sandman said alot of people will do a complete 180 turn on how they feel about supes.

THIS!!!!!

#21 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's COMIC popularity or overall popularity?

Superman's symbol is one of the most recognized logos in the world.

Superman has also drawn large mainstream attention in film.

I'm not arguing that Superman has been more popular, but I'm saying that he's more popular than you realize.

#22 Edited by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows? let me think over this a second or two while i take a sip from my Superman coffee mug....

Look at Batman he have always been popular with the comic book fan base, but now he is just the ''thang brah'' because of Nolan... People today they are so quick at jumping on the bandwagon. Superman just isnt the ''In'' thing at the moment. Some really hate the new 52 reboot, me personally i f*cking love it dude. It was about time DC took some of the iconic characters and took them into the 21st century, even though i as a comic book fan love Supermans iconic red underwear and spandex suit i can easily see why they needed to remove the underpants and give him some armor and got rid of the spandex, teens today with their coke and glowsticks doesnt buy into all that.

Either DC had to keep the old Superman and keep on writing on an iconic character who honestly was terribly outdated... compared to Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men, Batman Etc or they needed to update him, level him up if you will.... If you look at the average population, Marvel is vastly more populare compared to DC, At the moment DC only really have Batman which is a shame, DC have so many great heroes but it seems that they (WB) dont want to take the chance and show them off to the non-comic book readers.

Superman and Aquaman share the same fate to some degree, people who dont read their comics, only know of them from pop culture, and in pop culture Aquaman is a useless fishman, who cant fight on land and talks to goldfish, Superman is an omnipotent boy scout who walks around with his underwear on the outside of his pants. I really, REALLY hope MOS is going to be good, if any heroes need some recognition its Superman. I dig Superman im a fan, he is in my top 10 for sure and god damnit i have respect for the classics, and everytime i hear a guy calling Superman faggy based on assumptions it truely does sting a little.

Superman is indeed a super-awesome-badass hero, and he has the potential to be all that again, DC... or well Warner Bros just really needs to take some chances with heroes besides Batman, and when they DO take chances they need to take it seriously and get some talent behind their movies... because honestly the only way Superman, Aquaman and co. will ever get their respect back is by making them into awesome movies, thats why Avengers, X-Men and Batman is so popular today (This is of cause hinted at the vast population and not just comic book readers... where they have been populare well... since ever), i cant be the only one who hoped Green Lantern would finally take his place together with the cinematic top dogs, and i cant be the only one who felt the punch when seeing the movie and just knowing... ''god damnit''!

#23 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Monika said:

No but neither will Batman or any other comic character from decades ago if you are referring to popularity in the overall population because comics are a niche market now and things don't seem to be going in a direction that will change any time soon (and that's a good thing because comics that appealed to "the masses" were crap, nobody considers them essential but collectors).

If you mean popularity in proportion to the comic audience, also no because there's always more comics to be enjoyed whereas before you had to choose between Superman, Batman, Captain America, Rawhide Kid, Tales of Suspense, Young Romance and Vault of Horror and that was it so if you wanted a superhero comic where the character was super, Superman was basically the entire market. So again, the fact that he won't return to his peak is a good thing.

Hated or ignored, though? That's just an Internet concept because the majority -not all, why deal in absolutes- of people who post on the Internet are by nature the type of demographic that would prefer Batman (if you don't know what I mean, you haven't been on the Internet enough). Sales figures argue otherwise and they are the only thing that actually matters.

its not just people on the internet who hate superman. I know a lot of people who dont like superman

#24 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd said:

@Eternal19: Are you referring to his popularity by comic book readers or his popularity in the general population. Both, I think you'll find, are not as low as you are imagining.

From the comic book reader perspective (and not mixing Marvel and DC together, just talking DC numbers), Superman comics consistently sell in the top ten month after month (again, just looking at DC numbers), with Action Comics generally being in the top 5 more often than not in a given year. Those are good numbers considering the sheer volume of series that DC pumps out a month and the wide range of readers that collection of titles is meant to reach. Even when throwing Marvel into the mix Action Comics is in the top 15 month after month.

From the general population perspective........I was just at Disney World for Labor Day and I saw dozens of kids and adults wearing Superman t-shirts (and to expand on this, the other three popular character t-shirts, by kids and adults, are Spider-Man, Green Lantern, and Captain America.....wasn't a Batman shirt to be seen anywhere). Go to Wal-Mart or Target and you see Superman merchandise all over the place; from backpacks and lunch boxes to underwear, pajamas, color books, cards, etc... Again, you won't see as much Batman stuff and the next biggest superhero, in terms of merchandise, would be Spider-Man. When you were a kid did you pretend to zip-line around Gotham like Batman or fly through the air and smash the crap out of stuff like Superman? Personally I choose Superman and I'm sure a lot of other kids did to. Even when I work or interact with kids today they all want to be like Superman (or Spider-Man), not Batman.

When Superman's 50th birthday came up he was celebrated in Time magazine. When DC killed him off it was front page news.

He's still referenced in films, games, books, songs, and more forms of entertainment than any other superhero still in publication.

By sales we can see Superman is still a popular character with the comic book reading community. By his sheer everywhereness in the general population he is still popular with non-comic book readers. Is it at the level that it was in the 40's and 50's? Absolutely not. Then again, no superhero really was until the last decade of superhero movies and non-comic book readers began to take greater interest in them. Yet despite having far more movies than Superman, Batman is not as popular in the general populace as he is in the comic book world (sorry fanboys/fangirls, its true) and that's proven just by what people wear and buy relating to the character.

There is one thing that will always keep Superman alive, despite how corny readers may find him or how bad his stories may be, to the world (and especially to children) he's that moral pinnacle that people will always fall back on. Yeah, Batman might be cool, but nobody wants a world filled with Batmen/women. The characters not cool anymore if everyone is like him because of all the negatives that come with his character as well. Fans might be drawn to an anti-hero for the thrill of it but in the end they recognize that type of person wouldn't be their best friend in real life. On the other hand, a world of Supermen/women is an ideal desire. Who wouldn't want a world in which everyone had all of Superman's powers yet wouldn't have to worry about crime or hate or pain because everyone was as good, honest, moral, caring, etc, etc, as the Man of Steel?

So I have to say I think you're idea of Superman, his popularity, impact on culture, and both the reader and non-reader audience is completely wrong because you are looking at it purely from the perspective of someone that wants to read stories more like Batman without addressing the broader range that Superman resonates with people aside from their need for "coolness".

Im not looking at it that way. Whereing the shirt doesnt exactly mean that you like the charecter or know really anything about them. Some people might want to have batman as there friend and would like to see more batman related charecters instead of superman.

#25 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

Yup
#26 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on DC and Warner on how much they are willing to invest (more on talent than just financially) on Superman.

#27 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

What do u mean, everyone in my school loves superman and he's house hold name common like everywhere. Plus Man of Steel is coming yay.

#28 Posted by Luster77 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Superman will never reach that level of fame again and the reason why is because he has now transcended in the hearts of every knowledgeable person in the world. he is just as immortal as Abe Lincoln. Saying that, if he is considered the big numero uno, then DC needs to treat him that way and not dumb him down. We can have the early Superman attitude with this genre cuz it fits and the writer needs to be reminded that every other hero or villain will always be in awe of The Man of Steel. Should he be faced with a villain that is above his power level then let not that villain be too cocky and know who he's dealing with just as well. Superman has super intelligence that is really really never played with in the comic books, i think the writers can finally write him without doubts he would be even more awesome

#29 Posted by Jack Donaghy (924 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd said:

So when you went to Disney World and didn't see any Batman shirts but saw GL and Cap one's, do you think GL or Cap are more popular than Batman or Iron Man or Wolverine or even Thor? I went outside today and saw more Mets caps than Yankees one's but I would never say they were more popular. You're arguing about his cultural impact and icon status no one is saying he's isn't iconic or that's he isn't popular at all he just isn't as popular as he once was. Of course he's always going to get covered by the mainstream media he was the 1st superhero ever, but being the 1st and most iconic won't always mean he's the most popular.

#30 Posted by SuperJimmy (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Time will tell. I don't believe in this society's taste but I believe in superman, as always. (and superman nowadays is indeed the most hated and ignored superhero character. People make fun of him; ignore him; and even think having his books on their hands is disgesting (see recent "a comic show" video on youtube and much more. Almost every comic book show on youtube doesn't give a shit about superman.) There are too many misunderstanding, too many jokes on him, too many efforts lost on the creative side to create good stories for him that can actually do him justice. DC loses interest in him; they stop promoting him on a constant base. Only care for him occasionally, when they think there is still a penny they can make out of him. In sum, he's dying, like in all star superman, but I still believe in him.)

#31 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

No.

But Superman is not the only superhero who will never again match his peak of popularity.

I can think of several off the top of my head. Spawn, Captain Marvel, Lobo, Punisher, Namor, Deadpool, and I want to say Wolverine though that one's kinda iffy since while he's not quite as popular as he used to be that's kind of debatable.

#32 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Always a possibility...

#33 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think he can be. Most of the great Elseworlds and graphic novels DC has churned out the last 15 years have been Superman-centric. (All-Star, Red Son, Secret Identity, etc...) while his monthly books have not been as good.So, what's the difference? I think it's because the "Elseworld's" type stories aren't afraid to make him ICONIC. Make him the standard against which all Super-heroes are measured. Yet, what's the msot significant thing he's done in his monthly titles the last twenty years? He died. C'mon guys, don't be afraid to have him do wonders that only he can do. Don't be afraid to make him truly "Super"

#34 Posted by Shadowolfstar (16 posts) - - Show Bio

If the new movie is done well his popularity will greatly improve but no he will never be what he was. It sucks but society cant handle what he was anymore.

#35 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio
@Monika said:

This sentiment I believe to be the most true. Very nicely put.  

The conditions for Superman and how he is both presented and received are dramatically different presently than they were in the fifties. Superman is not in a bubble. Not only does Superman have more competition from more comic book characters, he has more competition from characters in many more mediums. He even has more competition from himself. For Superman to be as popular either all the fictional characters since the 50's have to die off magically or the quality and appeal of Superman and Superman stories would have to increase as proportionally in comparison. Societies change, and modern day societies have more choice, I mean you can even ask if individual comic books will ever be as popular and sell as much as they have in their most popular eras and the answer is probably no, not without a huge change like maybe radically cheaper pricers coupled with access via technology. The first adjectiveless X-Men volume by CC and Jim Lee in the 90's I believe is still the biggest single selling comic ever, and it existed in a time when there were only like 2 X-Men books, and come December there are going to be like 10, so the X-Men franchise fan base is going to be split between those 10 books. We have only really covered presenting - but add in received - as in the diversity in people's opinions and preferences and what they expect and like today than that of someone in the fifties? Not only is there more choice but people have stronger and more refined opinions now. Even the writers who write Superman can be inconsistent in their depiction and fans know this all too well. So not only do all the other characters have to disappear (and it would probably help if other mediums of entertainment that aren't comics that weren't big in the 50's disappeared too like video games) but you would need people today to think more uniformly as well at least as far as similar to the way people did in the 50's (which also probably means a lot of diverse perspectives and ideas and opinions since then that might require critical thinking or diverse thinking may have to be neutralized)    

Superman holds a very real, certain and solid place in history. He is not the only thing that is a product of his era though that because the era has changed the conditions for replication have as well. I think this is also a good thing. My favorite thing about Superman is how he helped vilify the Ku Klux Klan in real life, but yeah, the days of one big super comic character celebrity are kind of over.  

I don't think Superman is unfairly disliked or ignored, I mean I am not particularly fond of the character but I have my reasons, and sure maybe some don't have good reasons for disliking Superman but its probably as many as those who like Superman for no good reason either, as such things generally tend to balance each other out.         
#36 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman was popular in the 50s because he was in more than just comics (TV show, cartoon show, radio show)...whereas today Superman barely exists outside of comics (DCs fault here, since TAS ended Kal El hasn't really had much media exposure, apart from 'Superman Returns' which wasn't really that good. Batman on the other hand has had several television shows, three films and two highly acclaimed video games)...and even so, his titles in the past couple of years has suffered from bad writing.

Hopefully, MOS will set in motion Super-Mania.

#37 Posted by Joygirl (18714 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Like other people have said, if Man of Steel is successful, Supes popularity will no doubt skyrocket. At least for a while.

#39 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk, maybe if Superman gets a good writer. (See the Snyder and Lee thread) Action is okay now but not for long I assume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.