Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

`Why was Clark's superspeed so OP in Smallville

• 69 results
    GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By GXrevolution96

Superman is said to be "faster than a speed bullet" but some of the speed feats in this show were insane(not saying that it is a bad thing) and Clark could travel to any location instantly and move FTL.

Did the Writers do this so they could have Clark pop up at any location whenever the plot demanded it?

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
    NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2  Edited By NinjaWarrior268

Audiences like high speed action

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Superman is said to be "faster than a speed bullet" but some of the speed feats in this show were insane(not saying that it is a bad thing) and Clark could travel to any location instantly and move FTL.

Did the Writers do this so they could have Clark pop up at any location whenever the plot demanded it?

I was under the impression he was faster than bullets but not by a ton, and Kid Flash (Bart Allen) smoked him in this series regularly, right?

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By db_king

Clark doesn't have a single ftl speed feat on smallville. Even in the final season. Clark running place to place with no time given doesnt equate to instant or ftl travel.

If clark popped up instantly everywhere there would be no tension. Such as lois nearly being burned to death in Kansas, before clark reached her and him needing to save people in metropolis but just barely. That was by season 10. And by then everyone around the world would be statues.

On top of that in identity he was hit by light and had his picture taken.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/smallville/images/5/55/Identity.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081101161852

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

show sucked that's why.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

I always wondered how Meteor Freaks were a problem for him, since he could go so fast. But, like Flash, I suspended my disbelief.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By stormshadow_x

@soa said:

show sucked that's why.

Still better than Dragon Ball Super :D JK Jk Jk

On topic - Meh. bad writing. In honesty Bart should be a god since he blew clark out the water

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
    KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KryptonianPrime

@gxrevolution96: Superman can move millions of times the speed of light, whats wrong with showing that?

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

show sucked that's why.

Still better than Dragon Ball Super :D JK Jk Jk

On topic - Meh. bad writing. In honesty Bart should be a god since he blew clark out the water

lol

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GXrevolution96

@kryptonianprime said:

@gxrevolution96: Superman can move millions of times the speed of light, whats wrong with showing that?

Did you not read the part in my post where I said that it wasn't a bad thing?

@db_king said:

Clark doesn't have a single ftl speed feat on smallville. Even in the final season. Clark running place to place with no time given doesnt equate to instant or ftl travel.

If clark popped up instantly everywhere there would be no tension. Such as lois nearly being burned to death in Kansas, before clark reached her and him needing to save people in metropolis but just barely. That was by season 10. And by then everyone around the world would be statues.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/smallville/images/5/55/Identity.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081101161852

During a conversation with Chole, Lionel stated that Kryptonians can run at the speed of light. And this was after he was possessed by Jor-el and gained all his knowledge .Season 5 "Exposed".

You also have him outrunning Jimmy's cameron and him saying that he has to slow his superspeed down so the cameras can see him.

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By db_king

@gxrevolution96: Lionel luther doesn't appear in that episode so I know it isn't true.

He didnt outrun jimmies camera that's why he was caught on camera...by Jimmy. And I literally just showed a picture which showed the light hitting clarks back even before he noticed jimmy taking the picture. You cant claim to be faster than light, If you're hit by light. And that was season 8.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Main character in a teen show about Superman.

Thats why.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianprime said:

Did you not read the part in my post where I said that it wasn't a bad thing?

@db_king said:

During a conversation with Chole, Lionel stated that Kryptonians can run at the speed of light. And this was after he was possessed by Jor-el and gained all his knowledge .Season 5 "Exposed".

You also have him outrunning Jimmy's cameron and him saying that he has to slow his superspeed down so the cameras can see him.

This is true, technically if someone was moving at lightspeed they wouldn't be able to see things as they were happening because the light wouldn't be able to reach their retinas, it would be frozen in place. I would think you would catch the light waves that have already left objects and see everything as being frozen in time. If you went FTL you would see things happening backwards as you lap lightwaves that have already passed your POV.

superwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman has never gone that fast where's feats of him going that fast

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa said:

show sucked that's why.

Ehhh it got better.

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: more like it got worse. There has never been a show more invested in letting you down in the big boss fights. They hype them all year and end anticlimatically in less than 3 minutes.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Kidd

He wasn't OP, he simply used his speed better than CW Flash.

@micah said:
    @soa said:

show sucked that's why.

Ehhh it got better.

Not really, season 9 was showing potential but that last season was horrible.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king said:

@gxrevolution96: Lionel luther doesn't appear in that episode so I know it isn't true.

He didnt outrun jimmies camera that's why he was caught on camera...by Jimmy. And I literally just showed a picture which showed the light hitting clarks back even before he noticed jimmy taking the picture. You cant claim to be faster than light, If you're hit by light. And that was season 8.

It was "Solitude", not "Exposed". My mistake. It is the episode when Milton Fine tries to decive Clark.

It hit him because he paused and stood and waited for it to hit. As he grabs Lois, the light still had not hit his back.

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By db_king

@gxrevolution96: First of all people need to start posting proof. Quote the actual words from the scene. Post a video. A scan. Something.

Second of all character statements aren't allowed.

Third. Im not even going to debate this light thing. The picture clearly unquestionably shows clarks leg and back being hit by the light from the camera, BEFORE HE EVEN SEES JIMMY. Im not wasting any energy explaining to you, why being hit by light, proves youre slower than light. Because that's common sense.

The picture is from season 8 which comes after season 5. Clark isn't ftl. If he is post a video. A scan. Something.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Days of Future Past is way better

superwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king: he isnt ftl I remember him only being faster than a bullet

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superwarior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GXrevolution96

@db_king said:

@gxrevolution96: First of all people need to start posting proof. Quote the actual words from the scene. Post a video. A scan. Something.

Second of all character statements aren't allowed.

Third. Im not even going to debate this light thing. The picture clearly unquestionably shows clarks leg and back being hit by the light from the camera, BEFORE HE EVEN SEES JIMMY. Im not wasting any energy explaining to you, why being hit by light, proves youre slower than light. Because that's common sense.

The picture is from season 8 which comes after season 5. Clark isn't ftl. If he is post a video. A scan. Something.

I told you which episode it was and the scene. Just go and look for it. I cant exactly the entire episode on here.

Character statments are allowed, actually. You dont get to decided whats allowed and what is not allowed, unless the OP says differently. Lionel was Jor-El's vessel and had knowldged on everything Kryptonian.

The light only hit him because he pasued. He literally stops and stares into the camera, allowing it to hit him.

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By db_king

@gxrevolution96: Do you hear yourself? You're telling people to go do your research for you and post your proof, if its even true? Instead of just posting it yourself?

Show of hands anyone. Who here thinks that's how you "prove" something as true?

No one asked you to recite the episode I aksed you to provide the exact quote from Lionel. So let me get this straight. You dont have a feat, you have an alleged character statement. You don't have a quote of the statement and you refuse to post the quote. And you're telling other people to do your work for your thread?

Actually from what I can tell character statements are not accepted as proof here. Any db fan will tell you that. This isn't a battle thread so you can't declare character statements as admissible and usable feats anyway. You don't even have quotes of the character statements to prove they even exist to use anyway. No I don't get to decide the rules, the forum does. And that's in the forum rules when it comes to posting feats.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

If I had to guess, it's ultimately how the Smallville special effect team chose to depict Clark's superspeed throughout the seasons of the show. TV special effects were just starting to use effects and techniques with an impressive budget but ultimately, I would guess they wanted to show the audience how Clark sees the world at super speed to general audiences. We see Clark moving so fast that events are happening in slow motion, we see bullets, arrows, explosions or whatever happening at a slowed down speed and we see Clark react to those things at incredible speeds. Not many shows were doing stuff like that at the time, certainly not a superhero show to be sure.

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
    PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark wasn't that fast in the show.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GXrevolution96

@db_king said:

@gxrevolution96: Do you hear yourself? You're telling people to go do your research for you and post your proof, if its even true? Instead of just posting it yourself?

Show of hands anyone. Who here thinks that's how you "prove" something as true?

No one asked you to recite the episode I aksed you to provide the exact quote from Lionel. So let me get this straight. You dont have a feat, you have an alleged character statement. You don't have a quote of the statement and you refuse to post the quote. And you're telling other people to do your work for your thread?

Actually from what I can tell character statements are not accepted as proof here. Any db fan will tell you that. This isn't a battle thread so you can't declare character statements as admissible and usable feats anyway. You don't even have quotes of the character statements to prove they even exist to use anyway. No I don't get to decide the rules, the forum does. And that's in the forum rules when it comes to posting feats.

Huh? I never once told you to do research. I have already done that for you. I am not sending you out on some sort of investigation. I have already spoon fed you by providing the episode number, name and even described the scene. It would literally take no more than few minutes to find it. Its not like I am making an asssertion and not telling you where I got it from. If I posted the quote, you could just as easily turn around and accuse me of messing with the quote(Which I seen people of been accused of doing before) and understandably so. If someone posted a character statement, I would also want refer to the scource or see it(a link and etc) to clarify what they said is true, unless said person has credibility or the statment hasd already been established to be true. So, to avoid that, I point people directly to the scource, which I have done in this case. I do not expect people to just take my word for it.

Here is the quote

Chole: "You have one minute. The clock is ticking"

Lionel: "It seems that there is someone at central Kansas University who has the astounding ability to run at virtually the speed of light. Have you ever heard of such a thing?"

Chole: "The school is located in smallville--the meteor freak capital of the world..."

Lionel: "This person can lift an automobile with one hand. Can...create fire within the blink of an eye"

Character statments are valid and can be used. A character in the show is providing us with infomative information and there is absolutely no reason why we should dismiss it. If Clark says that has the ability to see through objects, then he can and there is no reason why it should be dismissed as something that it is not true. Its valid. Just because said statments do not allign with your point of view, doesn't then mean we should just ignore them. And to be honest, wether or not you want to accept the statment is not of my concern. Its fact and it is not going to go away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To show that Clark was getting closer and closer to his full potntial, I guess? It helped make the show freaking awesome IMO. Clark blitzing Zod is one of my favorite moments

Jucaslucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jucaslucas
    Loading Video...

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jasonhawke

@soa said:

show sucked that's why.

gtfo

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By db_king

@gxrevolution96:

Yeah you deliberately skipped right over this

"Do you have any proof? - Chloe

"If we had proof there wouldn't be any need for investigative reporting." - Lionel

So on top of Lionel having zero proof he was recounting rumors and telling Chloe to investigate? Yeah that's some air tight proof. I can't wait for you to use it in vs thread. Also weren't your claims he was faster than light?

Clark isn't light speed or ftl. I've already posted snapshots of clark being hit by light from olsens camera before he even knew jimmy was there. That trumps any off hand statement you want to bring up. And that's not going away whether you like it or not.

http://www.ocio.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/seriesblog_smallville_8x07_1.jpg

http://smallville.marianobayona.com/iden6.jpg

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GXrevolution96

@db_king said:

@gxrevolution96:

Yeah you deliberately skipped right over this

"Do you have any proof? - Chloe

"If we had proof there wouldn't be any need for investigative reporting." - Lionel

So on top of Lionel having zero proof he was recounting rumors and telling Chloe to investigate? Yeah that's some air tight proof. I can't wait for you to use it in vs thread. Also weren't your claims he was faster than light?

Clark isn't light speed or ftl. I've already posted snapshots of clark being hit by light from olsens camera before he even knew jimmy was there. That trumps any off hand statement you want to bring up. And that's not going away whether you like it or not.

I did not deliberatetly skip anything. And what are you talking about? Have you even seen the episode? Lionel already knew about Clark and Fine being Kryptonians and and their abilites, which is why he alerted Chole about this "individual". He was helping Clark indirectly by hinting to Chole(without revealing that he knew himself knew) at Fine's true identity and his betrayal, which is why Chole looked into Fine and went to warn Clark later on in the episode. In fact, Clark asks her at the end of the episode how she knew Fine was bad and she tells him that she had help from Lionel. Lionel was helping Clark in secret from a distance throughout the entire season.

Clark is in fact lightspeed. With numerous statments and a feat. Clark says he has to slow down for the camera's to see him and lionel says one of the kryptonians abilties is to run at lightspeed. Not to mention the Camera feat. There is absoloutely no reason why these statments should be disregarded. Again, wether or you want to accept them is not of my concern. They are there and are not going to disappear.

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By db_king

@gxrevolution96:

"Clark is in fact lightspeed. With numerous statments and a feat."

So one character statement from someone whos never seen clark move at ftl speeds or measure clarks movement speed counts as a statement even after saying he had no proof

And clark being hit by light, not seeing light til it hit, means he's light speed, which originally you claimed was faster than light.

Yeah, cool story.

In reality

Clark being hit by light. Clark not seeing light until it hit him. Season 8 way after your Lionel claim.

So where's the light speed to faster than light speed reaction when he was being hit by light and having his picture taken?

Jucaslucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king: Clark was ftl in the show. In that camera scene he ran up to the guy AFTER the flash began, meaning he was able to run in, knock the guy away, look at the camera, look away, and speed away.

He still got hit by the light, but he was able to outrun it easily.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

@db_king said:

@gxrevolution96:

"Clark is in fact lightspeed. With numerous statments and a feat."

So one character statement from someone whos never seen clark move at ftl speeds or measure clarks movement speed counts as a statement even after saying he had no proof

And clark being hit by light, not seeing light til it hit, means he's light speed, which originally you claimed was faster than light.

Yeah, cool story.

In reality

Clark being hit by light. Clark not seeing light until it hit him. Season 8 way after your Lionel claim.

So where's the light speed to faster than light speed reaction when he was being hit by light and having his picture taken?

This is going nowhere and we are derailing the thread. Agree to disagree.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king: Clark was ftl in the show. In that camera scene he ran up to the guy AFTER the flash began, meaning he was able to run in, knock the guy away, look at the camera, look away, and speed away.

He still got hit by the light, but he was able to outrun it easily.

Dont bother. Many have argued this and he'll believe what he wants to believe despite evidence to the contrary

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By db_king

@jucaslucas:

"Clark was ftl in the show. In that camera scene he ran up to the guy AFTER the flash began, meaning he was able to run in, knock the guy away, look at the camera, look away, and speed away."

Clark is not ftl. If he was there would be zero narrow escapes and rescues which there always were. Yes that's right he ran up to the guy AFTER the flash and STILL WAS HIT BY LIGHT. TELL ME YOU DONT SEE CLARK BEING HIT IN THE LEG BACK AND CHEST BEFORE turning and spotting jimmy. Which means BEFORE he grabbed Lois and sped away.

You can see him being hit in the leg before he even turns his back and while the mugger is still in frame. You're not faster than light if you can't out race light. You're not faster than light if you're hit by light when you're already in motion. There's no argument you can make. He didn't out run anything because Jimmy took his picture. You don't show up on camera being faster than light

And the op can claim I'm derailing his thread im simply stating facts. Clark has no ftl showings on the show.

Jucaslucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king: Just because he got hit by the light doesn't mean he's not ftl. CW Barry was hit in the back by a bullet, but it doesn't mean he's slower than bullets.

He was still able to cross the street before the light could travel 1 meter, he's ftl.

Night_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously almost all super powerful characters from the comics have to be pretty nerfed when put in live action, and I think that to compromise the big cut the producers made to Clark's strength, they tried to portray him as still being really powerful by maintaining his speed. This was probably a lot easier on the budget, and still showed him as being godlike compared to humans.

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By db_king

@jucaslucas: "Just because he got hit by the light doesn't mean he's not ftl.

Too anyone with common sense, that's exactly what it means.

"CW Barry was hit in the back by a bullet, but it doesn't mean he's slower than bullets."

Cw barry also has to steadily increase his speeds to reach ftl which has been repeatedly shown.

"He was still able to cross the street before the light could travel 1 meter"

No that's not what happened. And I'm done saying look at the picture like I'm Carol saying look at the flowers. Clark was hit by light before the mugger was even out of frame. I've posted the freaking picture three times now. So we have picture evidence vs your eyes.

You have literally no feats vs several snapshots of clark being hit by light. You have one, second hand character statement who says he has no proof of his claim vs clark being hit by light. This is absurd to say the least. At some point I just have to accept this as superman fans being caught up in their feelings and so I'm leaving. Think whatever y'all want.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It wasn't actually.

There's only one time I can remember where I was said to myself "Ok, that is completely unrealistic"

Jucaslucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king: You know, it's possible to be hit by something slower than you if you're not paying attention to it.

The point is, he can accelerate to be faster than a bullet easily, but he was still hit by one. And CW Barry can't go ftl.

He was hit by the light, but he's still faster. In this scene he was at the end of the street when the light started moving, and he was able to get near them and knock the thug before the light could travel to that woman.

So he's ftl, unless you're trying to say that the distance between the camera and the woman was bigger than the distance between Clark and them.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 feat is an outlier

db_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By db_king

@jucaslucas:

If you're going to ignore my snapshots and common sense stop tagging me. I'm not going to repeat to you 50 times, look at the pictures like im some type of recorder.

Clark was hit by light and had his picture taken. There's nothing you or anyone else can say to the contrary that doesn't make you look delusional.

Do you not understand light can loop around the planet 8 times in a second and you're arguing and making excuses for why clark can't out run light from a camera with a head start and only a meter in front of him? Lmfao but hes faster than light? He's ftl but still gets caught on camera and hit by light? Whether you tag me or not I'm not responding.

And for the record, Barry achieved ftl speeds twice even time traveling and is most certainly ftl and way faster than clark. So you're way backwards on who can and cant run at ftl speeds. Come back up with an actul feat instead of your guestimations and unfounded opinions.

Jucaslucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@db_king: He's ftl, but not much faster.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@gxrevolution96: Clark never wore a costume, so they gave him BS invisible super speed to explain why everybody didn't know he was Superman. Kind of wished they had him try prototype disguises.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.