Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why Superman is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash
    No Caption Provided

This will be the last blog I will posting until Tuesday, since I will be gone from tomorrow to Monday. So, I decided to go with someone big. On my list of favorite DC heroes, Superman is number thirteen, which is still pretty good considering how much I love DC.

1. The Origin

Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Kindly couple. Superman. Kal-El's origin is no doubt one of the most well-known, if not the most well-known origin of all-time. It's a total classic that will never get old. His parents send him off to Earth so that he can live his life. He's found by the right people, the Kents, and is raised on a farm to later become the hero I love. Clark discovered that he was different and used that power to do great things.

2. Superman Family

He has one of the best families in comics. Supergirl, Superboy, Krpyto the Superdog, Steel, and Power Girl are all awesome characters. Supergirl, Superboy, and Power Girl especially have evolved into their own characters, separate from Superman and have been successful with it. His allies actually makes Superman a stronger character.

No Caption Provided

3. The Rogues Gallery

On the flip side of his allies, Superman has some of the best villains of all-time. Some might even argue that Luthor is the best comic book villain of all-time. Debatable. Outside of Lex, he faces against Metallo, Parasite, Doomsday, Darkseid (sometimes), Mongul, General Zod, Brainiac, Bizarro, and so much more. His rogues gallery has many well-made villains. To people that call Superman overpowered: look at how powerful his rogues are. Come on.

4. The Man

What I like to say about Superman is that he's probably more human than any of us. He's what a human should strive for. He's incredibly kind and tries his very best to protect everyone, even his enemies. I don't see how you can hate a guy this kind. Yes, he's fictional, but I can't help but smile when he takes the time to help those in need. He has shown to take the time to help a boy replace a bike tire or stop a girl from committing suicide. Clark notices the little things and does a lot to help, with his genuine love. Some complain about Superman being boring, but that's not true. I admire that he's a boy scout because he's a contrast from today's vigilante anti-hero.

Amazing.
    Amazing.

5. The Alien

Now the alien aspect of him. Superman's obviously very different from regular humans. He basically stands as a god among others. However, one thing that I like, is that Superman does not abuse his power. The same can't be the said for else-worlds but that's else-worlds. My favorite thing about Superman is that he's basically choosing to help the world even though he could of dominated it. His powers are iconic and I love seeing him brawl it out with a formidable foe.

6. Lois Lane

This section is for Lois Lane, maybe the most famous comic book love interest of all-time. She's smart, brave and is the love for Superman. She adds a lot to Superman and his stories because she helped humanize him. She trusted Superman and accepted him. That means a ton. I seem to like the stories that have Lois playing a significant role. She always makes Superman better.

7. All-Star Superman (SPOILERS)

Touching
    Touching

Oh my goodness. All-Star Superman is the best Superman story ever. The writing is simply spectacular. If you haven't read it, GO READ IT. Or at least watch the movie! All-Star Superman perfectly portrays the big blue boy scout. Grant Morrison is a writer who gets him. Basically, Superman is dying and is spending his last days. He truly wants to help Luthor become good, who rejects that. Clark does many good deeds, including saving the Kryptonians who caused him nothing but trouble, and taking his time to stop a young girl from suicide. All-Star Superman gave me chills all over and made me realize how awesome Superman is.

8. World's Finest

Superman and Batman. The two most famous comic book characters of all-time teaming up. The two create such a great friendship. Two very different characters that have their conflicts, but still respect each other. Batman is the darkness while Superman is the light of hope. Both of them contribute something to the partnership and is the two have strong chemistry together.

Thoughts? Like what you see? Comment below, and follow me if you want more and get updated!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Keep these coming man and this one was a good one too.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

OOOOOOO Yes I like this one lol

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Great list I agree with everything you said. I just wish DC looked at All Star and wanted to have that tone in the new 52 version but that would of been smart something DC is not right now.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@freak_spawn said:

eh, i prefer the new 52 one.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RustyRoy

Nice article.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By JLDoom

Great work!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@batmannflash: Now this is your best one yet! But that's because I love Superman :P Though essays can be written on what makes the Man of Steel such a compelling character, you do a very nice summary of it here. His humanity is ultimately the best thing about him as he acts just as, if not more human than any of us yet biologically, he isn't one of us. But through his upbringing and the Kents instilling a sound moral compass in him, Superman represents the ideal of humanity at its best. Great blog!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sweet.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@freak_spawn: that's a stupid thing to say. Grant Morrisons action comics superman is good. Any other new 52 superman doesn't hold a candle to pretty flashpoint superman.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to add a point

He's a real Superhero.

In an era where many heroes are broken people who turned to heroism only as a result of trauma, Superman stands apart as someone who does the right thing because it is the right thing. He isn't compelled by inner rage or haunted by tragic memories, he does what he does from his own sense of goodness taught to him by his parents. His godly power has made him immune to all the pettiness in humans that keep us from being good. He is absolved of greed, hatred and jelousy. Superman is a true hero because he is someone people can strive to be rather than someone they can simply relate to.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool...but this looks vaguely familiar...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He's the original and best, thanks for your write up. I notice that over on Marvel, they are writing Thor a bit like superman at the moment. The current Thor comic reads a bit like All Star Superman. I certainly do have a soft spot for noble characters like superman, Thor and Silver Surfer who don't just let rip at every opportunity.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

NR. 4. that is what is essential to me when i read a story about superman. him and captain marvel... ugh shazam are the only boyscouts i accept.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

+1

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Worlds Finest love?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By batmannflash
    THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By THORSON

he's better than the knight and that is all that matters.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was the first, and he is the greatest. He is Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Superguy1591

He's awesome because if he wanted to, he could destroy everything that stands in his path, but he chooses to fight for us. He believes in humanity and he sees the good in us, plus his message of hope and fighting fir a better tomorrow is probably the most honorable of all the messages of the DC7.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bezza

..actually Superman and captain America appear to be THE two characters who just wont be turned by evil....not anti-heroes, just old fashioned heroes of the right sort...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@bezza said:

..actually Superman and captain America appear to be THE two characters who just wont be turned by evil....not anti-heroes, just old fashioned heroes of the right sort...

And yet Superman is the character with the most "Evil version" storylines :-P

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

True, are DC embarrassed by his goody two shoes persona?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@bezza said:

@squalleon:

True, are DC embarrassed by his goody two shoes persona?

It is just DC trying to appeal to the masses and end up appealing to none.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Was true for a time, but anything can get old after 80 years. Really, Lois Lane's character isnt that interesting in a modern context, and she doesnt bring anything to Superman stories other than head-scratching, as in, why would Supes be interested in someone so callous?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SanoHibiki

If someone needs a thread to explain “Why Superman is awesome”, then this person either doesn’t know anything about Superman or got to read only the mediocriest Supes’ comics.

P.S. Not agree with some points of OP through.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@batmannflash: pretty cool, I like this. I too think Supes is Awesome :)

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By primebonnick

Nice except the lois lane part (but thats my bias for not being a fan) hopefully new 52 supes gets iconic stories that makes him be just as epic as pre flashpoint.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Yeah, I agree with your comments and your blog btw...superman has slipped down my favourite character list a few places recently, largely due to how he has been portrayed in the New 52 world and also partly his portrayal in MOS. When I watched the Spiderman film ASM2 last week, there were a few nice touches involving members of the public by Spidey and I thought "that's what Superman used to do...!!"

ExtonJonas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ExtonJonas

I love superman and am a huge fan of his. I believe he can survive hte new 52 and will probably always be my favorite

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like everything you said but one.

Lois.

She just is like nails on a black board.

Nothing she does even remotely makes me say. Hmmmmmm

No just um no.

One chance they could have taken to fix that in Smallville.

Give her a secret , make Chloe become Lois.

That story line would have saved the character and rewrote her in such a way as to simply make you sit back and believe anything was possible.

That a man can fly and the world still has the chance to be a better place.

That one person can make a dent in the dark and save the world.

Then it all went to hell the hired some oddball to play Lois and that destroyed that lol.

Then again I have seen Lois do just about every bad thing to Clark that you could think of and date Lex , Bruce , many strangers , scream at Clark. Brow beat Clark and just scream at him for putting the world before her. So yeah no I say no to Lois.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.