Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18936 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why no Love for Action Comics?!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

..April's estimated comic sales and again Action Comics is well down the list, beaten amongst other things by the controversial (on the Vine at least) Superman/Wonder Woman. Here is its placing in the list of estimated sales, c/o Comic Book resources.

5134.69$3.99DC

Action Comics (2011)

3037,8092934,2313,57810.45%0

I don't get it. Pak is writing some of the best Superman stuff for years, why aren't people buying it? Last issue of Unchained sold 94,000!

...to add insult, there were 5 Batman comics in the top 10. Not that I don't like Batman comics, I do, they're great, but sometimes frankly, I feel that if they did a comic about one of Batman's turds it would shift 40,000 copies!!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

This is not good. You'd think Zero Year would have picked up some readers..... looks like Doomed is it's only hope. (irony)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that if they did a comic about one of Batman's turds it would shift 40,000 copies!!

Kevin Smith said he would watch a movie about Batman on the crapper, so you're not far of in your assumption.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Indeed...this makes me sad as well. Action Comics is probably one of my favorite titles in all of comics right now :(

Defintely the best Superman title right now in my opinion, wish more people would give it a chance. Hopefully the Doomed storyline picks up more readers.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Because after Morrison left, DC made bad decisions involving the book. The worst of which was handing it to Lobdell for two issues.

That's why I wished Johns had taken over for Doomed and not do his own thing. Geoff will draw readers, but those readers won't see how awesome Greg is on AC until a major crossover.

DC better not take him off, I might cry if they do.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...there were only two superman titles out in April devoted to Supes by himself, the Superman main title shifted about 37,000 copies so both Superman monthlies combined were outsold by every edition of Batman Eternal. That ain't good! Its another example of DC not promoting Superman anywhere near as much as Batman. I mean did we have 75 anniversary specials last year? Nope.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Superguy1591

Good news is that Greg got a 3,000+ that month, maybe it continues to trend up.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Controversial or not, SM/WW is a good read IMO, but that besides the point…

Yeah, a sad thing with AC’ sales and frankly, I don’t get it (through partially I blame the lack of advertisement – overhyped Unchained with Snyder and Lee, Superman with Johns and Romita Jr; just their very names can boost a sales). Such awesome stuff to read; it’s a shame.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Superguy1591

@bezza: To be fair to DC, I don't think the problem is their promotion. I think the problem is the quality of writers. Just look at Unchained, it's overrated and predictable, but Snyder is a big name. Geoff Johns has non-Superman fans excited to join the book because he's Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison's AC was a top 10 book his whole run.

As great a Superman writer as Pak is, he's not a big name. He was handed a sinking ship that had went from 50,000+ to 30,000 in a matter of months. He kept it, not only a float, but thriving. People just need to be introduce to his work.

I push it on everyone I meet and they love it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I blame it in the lack of advertisment. I bet people don't even know Action Comics is one of DC's best titles.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame it in the lack of advertisment. I bet people don't even know Action Comics is one of DC's best titles.

Greg Pak has to write a Batbook just to get some cred. But for now the event you've condemned is it's only hope now,

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Greg Pak has to write a Batbook just to get some cred. But for now the event you've condemned is it's only hope now,

Not really, especially since I imagine Pak doesn't fit well with street levels (see his bibliography). Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder (he is definetely a reason why I like AC so much, so I don't like when people don't give him credit) are a very good dynamic duo, they only need some hype and with what had traspired before in AC like Diggle's quiting and Lobdell's two-parter, AC lost credibility, DC should have fixed that, promoting the team. And with so many good stories in Pak's bag, they definetely could have brought the Hulk and Herc fans that love Pak.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: He means that Pak should pull a Snyder and gain a massive following on a Batman book and then publish his AC on that book

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Squalleon

@superguy1591 said:

@squalleon: He means that Pak should pull a Snyder and gain a massive following on a Batman book and then publish his AC on that book

Yeah...What made you think I didn't get it? Pak may not be a good fit for Batman considering his older works so it might hurt him and Snyder gained a massive popularity boost from Bats because his Detective comics and CoO were very well received and mostly because he was the first Batman writer many people learned, considering he wrote the main Batman title when the New 52 started (and it was the only good solo Batman title at the time, DeC and BM:TDK were so bad) and he pretty much was the central figure of the Bat-writers. Daniels, Finch (they sucked :-P) Layman (who was actually good) wrote Bats but they didn't get a popularity boost.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

True, Pak is only big among Hulk fans like me who loved his run, one of the best of all time. Like you, I push Action Comics on anyone I talk to who is into comics. Can't wait for Issue 31 tomorrow and of course the whole Doomed thing!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Lvenger

@bezza: To be honest this comment encapsulates the right answer in a nutshell.

@squalleon said:

Over at Marvel, Pak's work has been greatly promoted. Heck even his Storm ongoing is getting more press than Action Comics is atm. DC simply aren't promoting Pak enough which is a real shame. He's a top writer to be snagged by DC and they're giving him two of the best DC books to work on. They could also promote his work at least more often. Also this isn't a "bitch at my least favourite Superman title" guys. I could tear the rubbish Superman to shreds or deconstruct the mediocre Superman/Wonder Woman title and defend Unchained from criticism but this isn't what the topic in question is about.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@bezza: To be honest this comment encapsulates the right answer in a nutshell.

@squalleon said:

Over at Marvel, Pak's work has been greatly promoted. Heck even his Storm ongoing is getting more press than Action Comics is atm. DC simply aren't promoting Pak enough which is a real shame. He's a top writer to be snagged by DC and they're giving him two of the best DC books to work on. They could also promote his work at least more often.

Welcome back bro :-)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Good to be back mate. Just in time to see what Superman Doomed is all about for better or for worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I guess I'll take a look at it this week. I haven't heard much about this title.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Good to see you back buddy and shock, a Thor avatar?!

Anyway hopefully you will LOVE the action in all the Doomsday comics this week, absolutely breathtaking power from Superman...enough to make me think twice about my stance on any Hulk v Superman debates in future!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Eh even though I haven't read it, some comments made on here have given me doubt about the quality of the story and the possibility of an anti climatic ending. Still I'll see for myself when the comic eventually arrives.

On the Thor avatar, that's so it doesn't clash with my awesome new Superman background on my profile :)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bezza

.@lvenger---yeah, cool Superman background, I thought he would have to be somewhere on your profile..

..not sure Doomed has done much for Action Comics, Issue 31 was easily the weakest issue since Pak took over........annoying really as 25-30 were all really great.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Personally I found 30 quite weak as well. The Tower were rushed in very quickly, the story seemed more of a precursor to Doomed than an end to Pak's current arc and the events were rushed through abruptly. It was a shame for Pak to end his story on a low note.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Meh. Sales don't equal quality. Never have and never will.

As long as companies know they have something good and continue to put it out, I won't complain much.

If they cancel it however, then I will bitch. Scarlet Spider for example...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.