Why it sucks to be Superman....

#1 Posted by dellamorte (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Super strength....

Superman can move planets right...who wouldn't want to do that? But imagine what he must go through on a daily basis. RESTRAINT. With that kind of strength...imagine how much he has to hold back! Have you ever tried to handle a brittle dried flower without breaking it? That is what superman has to endure on a daily basis while trying to make it seem effortless...ponder about that.

Super speed....

He can move at such speeds that to him it appears that everything else is standing still. You know when you were young and there was that one kid that couldn't really read? So he stuttered and it took him forever to get through a sentence and you grew impatient and made fun of him? Well that is what superman has to go through everyday with everyone he meets...except for the flash...and a long work day? Imagine his.

Super Senses...

I gather that he can control them. I get that. But there's smells that sometimes are just to in your face. Think when your entering a bathroom and the person before you bombed it. Would you really like a super smell then?

Super sight? Okay there's no down side to heat vision or xray...none that I can think of.

Super breath, controlling your breathing is unnatural...Supes has to add that to his list of daily restraints.

What other downsides are there? Do share.

#2 Posted by The Stegman (23780 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't he mention his restraint in Justice League Unlimited as walking around a cardboard world or something

#4 Posted by Malonius (884 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: ah yes thank you this is the scene

#6 Posted by Malonius (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@joeagentofhand1 said:

@Malonius: ah yes thank you this is the scene

He's even nerfed in JLU.

Other things that would suck about being Supes involved his bodily fluids, wastes, and hygiene issues. He shaves by using his heat vision reflected off a piece of the Kryptonian spaceship that brought him to Earth. Also, he can't really have sex with human women.

#7 Posted by PowerHerc (82744 posts) - - Show Bio

Having Superman's powers at traditional levels would be worth it.

#8 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

He can't bang normal woman without killing them , his *unit* is basically a jackhammer

@dellamorte: Hence he makes a great villain, no?

#9 Posted by dellamorte (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: He can have sex but it is a slow control screw...how boring is that?

#10 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: This is one of my favorite moments in the entirety of the show. And this moment more than any defines the character for me.

#11 Posted by sinestro_GL (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

@Malonius: @JonesDeini: I was actually so pissed off with the scene after this part. When I originally watched JLU, Superman was my favourite character, and I really hated the way they resolved the ending in this one...I would have preferred and ending similar to the one in Superman/Batman #13

#12 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@dellamorte said:

@Malonius: He can have sex but it is a slow control screw...how boring is that?

Or use a red sun room

#13 Posted by dellamorte (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man: He could but doesnt that take time to bring his power level down? And would it be wroth it to vulnerable just to get laid?

#14 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@dellamorte: he can rub it off and let the sperms find the eggs or he can always romance wonder woman then settle down

#15 Posted by The_Red_Blur (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with the herc and stegman

#16 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Well there goes that PG rating for the forum. Yeah I agree with most of that and I think that would be the case for most super powered beings. Think about some of the things that prof-x has to dig through when scanning someones mind . Super strength I don't think would be that big of a problem other than trying to pull punches during a fight. I mean I'm a pretty strong person and I've never had something just shatter in my hand unless I purposely squezed. I'm sure being that superman slowly gained his powers he was able to learn how to not put any strenghth into anything. You just naturally know how much force to use between folding a sheet of notebook paper and ripping that sheet in half and you also know that you would need almost no power to do that. Compare that with trying to rip a phonrbook in half. To superman the phone book is like folding the single paper so most of his normal dayly activity would be done with nearly zero energy used.

#17 Posted by The_Red_Blur (225 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving that video that stegman posted

#18 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd hate being the last of my kind, alone in the universe, to be an orphaned orphan.

THAT would suck!

#19 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

The only women he can have sex with, without killing her...is Wonder Woman...And Barda...and his cousin...

Being Superman is not easy. He has a lot of responsibility.

#20 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: agreed

#21 Posted by cattlebattle (12672 posts) - - Show Bio
Funny.....he doesn't mind it in the face of massive flames
#22 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

The only women he can have sex with, without killing her...is Wonder Woman...And Barda...and his cousin... Being Superman is not easy. He has a lot of responsibility.

It would be awesome and horrible at the same time:

No sex with human women, but sex with THIS:

WOULD BE GREAT!!!

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@majestic99: He tap that a$$ in Elseworld stories.
#24 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

@Primmaster64 said:

The only women he can have sex with, without killing her...is Wonder Woman...And Barda...and his cousin... Being Superman is not easy. He has a lot of responsibility.

It would be awesome and horrible at the same time:

No sex with human women, but sex with THIS:

WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Normal women are overrated.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: Maxima could probably take him in the sack

#26 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam said:

Normal women are trolls compared to WW.

@joshmightbe said:

Who's that?

#27 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

@AweSam said:

Normal women are trolls compared to WW.

@joshmightbe said:

Who's that?

#28 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

Having Superman's powers at traditional levels would be worth it.

Yeah, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings, all that would be pretty manageable.

#29 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't he have a kid with Lashina in the DCAU?

#30 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85: Yes

#31 Posted by raecinio (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can function as a normal Human if he wanted to. All he would need to do is expose himself to red sunlight in some capacity or another (have some red sunlight bulbs in his apartment in order to get it on with Lois).

#32 Posted by HolySerpent (12515 posts) - - Show Bio

When did he have baby with lashina O_o

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.