Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why isn't Kandor used more often?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I mean as a plot device? A permanently shrunk city of Kryptonians? That's RIFE with potential! I'm not saying it should be used excessively, BUT more than it usually is.

I mean... I can literally think of a number of ways to use it. For instance, fixing Power Girl's origin. She's actually from Kandor and through a freak accident with Clark trying to fix the city, was restored to regular size, but the process left the machine Clark had built unusable and it nearly destroyed Kandor. SO Clark doesn't try that again and Karen Starr is born... Figuratively speaking.

Just one possibility right there. I mean an ENTIRE CITY of Kryptonians.... Just seems like that idea hasn't been utilized to it's fullest extent in a lot of cases. Or rather not to areas where it really would make sense.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@smart_dork_dude: It's stupid, that's why. Plus, it makes Superman less special.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A permanently shrunk city of Kryptonians

There's your answer right there.

And Power Girl's origin doesn't need fixing. She's from the former Earth 2, and please, please let's not get into changing her origins again, because that way lies crises and madness.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

It serves as a constant guilt to Superman that he can't help the last living people of his race. The context is quite beautiful if you ask me.

But anything involving Kandor outside the SA stuff is boring at best. So it is better left as an idea until a writer with Vision can do something interesting.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean as a plot device? A permanently shrunk city of Kryptonians? That's RIFE with potential! I'm not saying it should be used excessively, BUT more than it usually is.

I mean... I can literally think of a number of ways to use it. For instance, fixing Power Girl's origin. She's actually from Kandor and through a freak accident with Clark trying to fix the city, was restored to regular size, but the process left the machine Clark had built unusable and it nearly destroyed Kandor. SO Clark doesn't try that again and Karen Starr is born... Figuratively speaking.

Just one possibility right there. I mean an ENTIRE CITY of Kryptonians.... Just seems like that idea hasn't been utilized to it's fullest extent in a lot of cases. Or rather not to areas where it really would make sense.

Why would you want to give a new origin story for Power Girl? Her New 52 origin story is by far the best one.

Power Girl was the Supergirl of Earth-2, until she and Helena Wayne were thrown into Earth-0. Where she became Power Girl. For a while at least. Now she and Helena have returned to Earth-2, and something tells me, we're not gonna see her in Earth-0 for a while now.

Also Earth-0 already has a substitute Power Girl. Sure, she's nowhere near a hottie as Kara is, but that's what DC chose to go with.

Sure they could've instead chosed to use Superman recent trip to Kandor, use that to bring a new female kryptonian character to the fold, and she would be the new Power Girl. But they had already went with the teenage afro-american girl look, so now there's really no going back. Unless they kill off that character and then use Kandor to bring a new Power Girl. But that's not gonna happen.

Has for using Kandor. Hold your hourses. For years they were left in micro-stasis, and although Superman best efforts, he could not awaken any of them or even reverse the shrinking process. But in the final issues of Doomed, they did awakened. Only for the city to be stolen by the Phantom King and brainwashing the kryptonians in there. Superman, Supergirl and Batman freed most of them from the brainwash, but some where still left mentally unstable.

Also don't forget that due to Superman action of blowing that piece of Krypton's sun core matter, it was said that all kandorians cells were left maybe permanently damaged to the point their bodies can't process yellow sunlight like Superman and Supergirl can.

Again, sure. All this is easily fixable. And yes we could get at least one to two more characters from Kandor to add to the Superman "family", like for example Firebird. But again, we're not gonna have anything like that anytime soon. Lets face the facts. Both Superboy and Supergirl comics were canceled. So adding new kryptonian characters... Not gonna happen.

Orrazib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a big fan of Superman and Jimmy Olsen in Kandor as Nightwing and Firebird. Kandor would be a great way to explore how Supes would be a hero even without superpowers, and especially to explore how he would differ from Batman in that situation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.