Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

why is superman the tomato can of elite superheroes??

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

ive thought about this alot so let me explain......Superman is SUPPOSED to be dc's top dog right? he's SUPPOSED to be the poster boy; the "thor" of dc. but i can make a logical case that, because of allllllll his weaknesses (superman has way too many weaknesses/ vulnurabilities. more than any hero of his level[kryptonite that EVERYONE has, magic, red sun, cant see through lead,and on top of all that he is TOTALLY reliant on his powers and lacks any real skill in fighting]) that at least 10 characters could beat him with relative ease! it infuriates me because im a huge superman fan. i think they should retconn superman and heres how i think they should do it:

-this is how the red sun thing should work; the red son doesnt give him powers but it doesnt take them away either. so for instance from the time he first arrived in earth he absorbs the yellow sun radiation nd becomes infinitely more powerful. so say he encounters a red sun in outer space. he doesnt gain MORE strength but he doesnt lose it either. and this brings about supermans "holding back" complex too. since he's always holding back while he's always getting stronger. id love to read that!

-there should only be three characters who hve or can get kryptonite reltively easily. Batman, Lex and Metallo. evrybody else should have to go through hell to get it. the way its written now every tom dick and harry has a rock in their backyard.

- remove to ridiculous vulnurability to magic. mke him as invulnurable to magic as he is to any thing else. this is why i hate reading a superman/shazam book because i know at some point shazam is just going to hold him and yell "shazam!" til supes is near death. thats boring nd thts lazy writing. according to this weakness thor, wonderwomn, dr fate, dr strange, black adam, shazam should all curbstomp superman

-i dont have a quote unquote "problem" with the not being able to see through lead...i just dont understand it or see why its at all necessary

-superman should be established firmly as having incalculable strength. ive read a thousand times "superman is as strong as he needs to be." id like to see that in practice. there are alot of inconsistencies in superman. he's a planet buster but needs help with moving earth and strains even with help? that stuff should be cleaned up superman should have perpetually incresing strength based on what i said should happen with his yellow sun absorbtion

-flash should be the only thing in the universe faster, on any level, than superman... PERIOD

so anyway those are my thoughts guys. my opinions. please give me feedback. agree or disagree i think thats what this site is about. :) EMBRACE DEBATE!!!!!

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Esquire

@sog7dc: Why would him being inarguably the most powerful superhero make him a better character? I honestly don't see any benefit to those developments outside of the Battle Forums. I'm not sure I would be less inclined to read a Superman story if the changes were made, but I certainly wouldn't be more interested.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Isn't he strong enough? His weaknesses are what makes him.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SOG7dc

@esquire: im just personally tired of seeing him be somewhat of a tomato can. whenever he gets into it with another dc character or membeer of the justice league he gets slapped around. heres a list of characters that can, as it stands, beat superman

flash

thor

wonderwoman

martian manhunter

shazam

green lantern

silver surfer

galactus

darksied

dr fate

dr strange

metallo

and i know im forgetting some

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SOG7dc you do realise that Thor , Glactus , Dr strange and silver surfer are not Dac they are marvel.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Even if all of those characters could beat Superman, (and I don't agree with all of them), I still don't see the point. First of all, Superman isn't supposed to be anywhere near as powerful as Galactus. Galactus is a universal constant who eats whole galaxies. Superman has no business being on that level. And you didn't really answer my question: "Why would him being unarguably the most powerful superhero make him a better character?"

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@sog7dc said:

ive thought about this alot so let me explain......Superman is SUPPOSED to be dc's top dog right? he's SUPPOSED to be the poster boy; the "thor" of dc. but i can make a logical case that, because of allllllll his weaknesses (superman has way too many weaknesses/ vulnurabilities. more than any hero of his level[kryptonite that EVERYONE has, magic, red sun, cant see through lead,and on top of all that he is TOTALLY reliant on his powers and lacks any real skill in fighting]) that at least 10 characters could beat him with relative ease! it infuriates me because im a huge superman fan. i think they should retconn superman and heres how i think they should do it:

Are you saying that Thor is Marvels poster boy?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: apparently its letting me post again. but anyways yes im aware they are marvel i was just making a point. and @esquire i think it adds another layer to him. they often say in the comics "he's always holding back but you rarely ever see him struggling with his power to keep itunder control and then he seems to never cut loose when the situation dictates that cutting loose is apprpriate and @v_scarlotte_rose not so much the poster boy i think spidey is their posterboy but i do get the feeling that he's the top dog as far as heroes go

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: What do you mean by 'top dog' though?

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilvegeta74

Hmm , putting the guy on the spot!

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

He means that Superman is DC's golden boy and that he's the main seller of the comics and DC's main reality's top hero, although I don't know if Batman sells more. I don't look up the stats. And although it's questionable who's Marvel's, if it isn't Captain America, Thor is the 616's saving grace and has been for a good few years.

SOG7dc: I agree that if you are going to be upset that certain comparisons with other characters might make Superman seem inferior in ways, then you have the right to express why. But for me personally, having a Superman with less vulnerabilities would make him very boring. And I'm sure that some DC writers have just not been clever or exciting enough to strengthen a story by having him use some actual intellect and versatility to overcome his weaknesses, which is where the main problem would lie.

Superman shouldn't be immortal or impervious to anything but kryptonite in my eyes and he shouldn't always be the most powerful otherwise where will the threat be? What will be the point of calling him a hero and not just a very obligated alien? You see what I mean? It's a very mid-20th Century comic book lack of common sense that leaves such characters with nowhere to go after there are no villains that can provide original drama and dilemma!

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtm1980: Batman outsells him by a lot at the moment.

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By dtm1980

@dtm1980: Batman outsells him by a lot at the moment.

I would have thought so too, thank you for confirming

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SOG7dc

bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.