Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why is Superman buff?

• 51 results
    CPTSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CPTSteve

I understand that he's a superhero and superheroes are by default all big and buff.  However, there's a problem when it comes to Superman.  He gets his strength from the sun.  It's just there.  He doesn't have to lift weights or anything.

The only way to develop large muscles is to lift things that your body finds heavy.  Then to compensate, your body grows the muscles larger to compensate.  That's an oversimplification of the process, of course, but in the end it's true.  Lift heavy weights, get big muscles.

Superman, due to his yellow sun-induced strength, finds almost nothing heavy.  Unless when he's off-page Supes is out bench pressing Africa and leg pressing the moon, shouldn't he actually have a build more reminiscent of Bill Nye, the Science Guy?

My father pointed this out to me when I was in grade school and it has bothered me ever since. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    He's a DC character....trying to apply logic would rip reality in half.
    Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

You could assume maybe Kryptonian physiology works so that the energy they get if under a yellow sun works a little like steroids. When SBPrime got a ton of energy he got more muscular right away without working out. That's just a guess. If you want a skinnier Supes though, look at Gary Franks depictions of him. I like em.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    Like the radiation-soaked heroes of Marvel are much better?
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Korg

Superman also grew up on a farm doing hard labor while his powers developed.

deathswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By deathswitch
    @Korg said:
    " Superman also grew up on a farm doing hard labor while his powers developed. "
    true
    there is this issue of the justice league where they are trying to escape starbreaker and supes is pulling the world
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Calvin
    @CPTSteve: Yes, I had thought about it before.

@Buckshot said:
    " You could assume maybe Kryptonian physiology works so that the energy they get if under a yellow sun works a little like steroids. When SBPrime got a ton of energy he got more muscular right away without working out. That's just a guess. If you want a skinnier Supes though, look at Gary Franks depictions of him. I like em. "
    But Buckshot raised a good point, never thoght in that perspective......
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Martian

Cause he would look lame.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Calvin
    @Nobody said:
    " Cause he would look lame. "
    Did any one saw Hercules from disney when you were kids? When he was a superstrong skinny teenagers. That was really something....
    CPTSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CPTSteve
    @Nobody said:
    "Cause he would look lame."

Nothing to say the man couldn't be in shape.  But give him more of a sprinter's build than a bodybuilder's build.   Ripped to shreds just not so thick. 
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Korg

Clark Kent has a red sun workout room! It all makes sense now!

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Decept-O

I hear what you're saying.   Whose to say Supes doesn't work out or doesn't flex his muscles?  While he doesn't necessarily need to be in top physical shape, I believe given his physiology and the fact he is constantly syphoning and using energy from Earth's yellow sun, every molecule, every atom of his being is in well...Super....top notch condition, and as a result, his bone mass, and muscle mass have developed.  He's pulled the moon, he's lifted worlds.  I'd want him to have a muscular build even if according to actual "real" physiology he wouldn't have one.  Plus--and this key---who'd want a skinny Superman?  

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    "
    It's better than everyone not being able to see that he's Clark Kent just because he took his classes off.
    Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's constantly fighting against foes just as strong or stronger than him, which is very strenuous.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nova`Prime`

He wasn't always drawn buff. Granted that was way back in the day. I think its more for the art then the fact he's super strong, although I always wondered can he become fat? Does his Kryptonian biology keep him from getting fat under a yellow sun, because his metabolism is amped up, or if he decided to just lay about for a while and just go out as Clark would he get fat?

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrMiracle77

Superman knows that he can't rely on his powers 100% of the time.  Exposure to red-K or a red sun will sap him pretty good, so he tries to stay in good shape for those occasions when he needs to use regular fitness to get out of trouble.

Bolttrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bolttrum
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    "
    It's better than everyone not being able to see that he's Clark Kent just because he took his classes off.
    "

Why do you assume that every fantasy character has the same perceptions people in the real world have? And why do you assume that if you can't apply logic, then it's a bad story? I don't see anybody complaining about Alice in Wonderland and still it's considered by literary critics to be a masterpiece in storytelling - can you find any logic in that story other then the story telling itself and what it wants to accomplish in the readers mind? If you want realist stories you would be better suited with biographies, not with comics, wether they are DC's, Marvel or any other.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    "
    "
    There was a fun little scene in Superman/Batman where Clark was depowered and subsequently shot. So he's lying there in a hospital and two nurses discuss: "Say, is it me or does this guy look just like Superman?" "Maybe, only without the bullet holes."
    There are a million reasons why people don't know they're the same guy, ranging from suspension of disbelief, to actually having dummies to make them appear next to each other. But I'm not gonna get into that in this thread.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By speedlgt

well just like regular muscles I am sure hes ripped them when he lifted stuff that was heavy to him when he was young and thus his muscles got pumped and stayed buff since the yellow sun repaired them and built him stronger and stronger. Also I mean he doesnt need to eat I know he does but doesnt have too and I am sure that getting pure energy from the sun is LOW in fat so hes always lean....and a zero FAT thin person is gonna look ripped.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By G'bandit

Uhhh, well when you think about it...

Moving a solar system with a huge chain

Moving the planet away from a threat

Fighting almost daily against Seid, Brainiac, Bizaro, Doomsday and all those big dudes..

He must build up some muscle with all that.

Beside, If he looked like a wimp it would be even far more unbelievable that he is so strong than it already is, savvy?

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iLLituracy
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    "
    "
    LMAO.

If that isn't the truth...
    Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Psychotime

You're right, it doesn't make any sense.

One could say that it's the RESULT of the sunlight...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @AtPhantom said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    "
    "
    There was a fun little scene in Superman/Batman where Clark was depowered and subsequently shot. So he's lying there in a hospital and two nurses discuss: "Say, is it me or does this guy look just like Superman?" "Maybe, only without the bullet holes." There are a million reasons why people don't know they're the same guy, ranging from suspension of disbelief, to actually having dummies to make them appear next to each other. But I'm not gonna get into that in this thread. "
    I know the many reasons that they've thrown out there but they are all stupid.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedK
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    @AtPhantom said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Vance Astro said:
    "
    "
    "
    "
    There was a fun little scene in Superman/Batman where Clark was depowered and subsequently shot. So he's lying there in a hospital and two nurses discuss: "Say, is it me or does this guy look just like Superman?" "Maybe, only without the bullet holes." There are a million reasons why people don't know they're the same guy, ranging from suspension of disbelief, to actually having dummies to make them appear next to each other. But I'm not gonna get into that in this thread. "
    I know the many reasons that they've thrown out there but they are all stupid.
    "
    how are they stupid the best one is when lex won't belive that superman would be clark because he is a being of some much power why would he want to pretend to be a weak man that makes the best sense out of all the other reasons
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @RedK said:
    how are they stupid the best one is when lex won't belive that superman would be clark because he is a being of some much power why would he want to pretend to be a weak man that makes the best sense out of all the other reasons "
    They are stupid! Not believing that someone is Superman when you have evidence or you can clearly see their the same person is retarded.Lex is smarter than that! 
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Just because you're smart doesn't mean you can't be blinded by ego or overlook things because of preconceptions about things in general or how humans behave specifically.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Buckshot said:
    " Just because you're smart doesn't mean you can't be blinded by ego or overlook things because of preconceptions about things in general or how humans behave specifically. "
    That's true,but in this case that just doesn't work for me.You can have a "Kanye West size ego" and see that Kent and Superman are clearly the same person.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AtPhantom

I believe Justice League had Martian Manhunter morph as Clark Kent and go with Lois to Superman's press conference. They were both in the same room. With that kind of stuff, it's easy to see why no one considers that.

Another point made many times is that nobody actually believes Superman has an alter ego. They just assume he's a guardian angel who's always "out there".

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iLLituracy
    @AtPhantom said:
    " I believe Justice League had Martian Manhunter morph as Clark Kent and go with Lois to Superman's press conference. They were both in the same room. With that kind of stuff, it's easy to see why no one considers that. Another point made many times is that nobody actually believes Superman has an alter ego. They just assume he's a guardian angel who's always "out there". "
    They don't really live in a world where such a thing as someone posing as someone else is unthought of, especially with Superman's connections and I'd imagine that the Martian Manhunter's powerset is known by many. 2 and 2, I'd imagine. But that's enough for reasonable doubt.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AtPhantom
    @iLLituracy said:
    " But that's enough for reasonable doubt. "
    Exactly. Your average Joe isn't going to much thought to it if he sees them both standing in the same room. As for people who will put more thought into it. Well, they probably already know.
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    @Buckshot said:
    " You could assume maybe Kryptonian physiology works so that the energy they get if under a yellow sun works a little like steroids. When SBPrime got a ton of energy he got more muscular right away without working out. That's just a guess. If you want a skinnier Supes though, look at Gary Franks depictions of him. I like em. "
    I like this explanation! And Gary Frank's art by the way haha.
    @G'bandit said:
    " Moving a solar system with a huge chain  "
    LOL. That feat is hilarious xD Was retconned away from canon long ago though >.>
    Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Psychotime

On the whole Clark Kent secret identity thing, read Birthright. I was really surprised how much sense it made.

The trick with Kent is that he must put up the appearance of a weakling and be unnoticeable among the people he's around. He's had to study acting books, have bad posture, and obstruct the appearance of his eyes with the glasses, even change his hair and speech patterns.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    @Psychotime said:
    " On the whole Clark Kent secret identity thing, read Birthright. I was really surprised how much sense it made. "
    I read it but I forget, what was the reasoning? And I think it also said something about his flight that I liked but can't remember.
    Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Psychotime
    @Buckshot said:
    "
    @Psychotime said:
    " On the whole Clark Kent secret identity thing, read Birthright. I was really surprised how much sense it made. "
    I read it but I forget, what was the reasoning? And I think it also said something about his flight that I liked but can't remember.
    "
    Whoops, I thought it would be posted in the original thread.

I edited the post with what I could remember. I don't have the book on me at the moment.

About the flight, I don't remember anything special about the flight, except Luthor theorized something about some anti-gravity generator in his brain or something like that.

Why is your text white? At first I didn't even know you typed anything.
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I didn't think the flight was special, I just liked that they tried to explain or at least say something about it.

My text is white because I'm special. 
    Avatar image for firestormnuclerman
    Firestormnuclerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is Called Superman, just about everything he does is super, and his body was made to be super. He can easily do exhausting workouts, and not get tired because his stamina is far beyond that of human beings.

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jorgeareizaga
    @CPTSteve:
    I do not know and I do not mind, he is sexy and his crotch is a delight!!!!!!!!
    Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Storm Rider

You're first saying that Superman doesn't have earth physiology, then holding him to earth's physiological standards by assuming lifting weights is the only way for him to  acquire muscle mass. He is muscular simply because he is. Some people have naturally thicker builds than others, some are skinnier by nature, some heavier. It just is what it is. Muscles equal appearance of power. Superman equals power personified. Thus Superman has big muscles.

AliceHatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AliceHatter
    @Buckshot: Good point haha
    Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sidney

I know i hate he buff why can't he be slender but still strong looking.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aronmorales

I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Maybe Kryptonians get naturally fit at a certain age, or maybe he got all of his working out done as a boy...his powers didn't quite kick in 'till his teens, right?

Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sidney

Still man he too damn buff he like a body builder on steriods.

super182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By super182
    @Vance Astro:
    not as stupid as a hero revealing there identity for publicity and then working for the government liek iron man
    Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sidney
    @super182 said:
    "@Vance Astro: not as stupid as a hero revealing there identity for publicity and then working for the government liek iron man"

Yeah but he then felt bad and decided to do this to help people not fame and fortune.
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ARMIV

He grew up on a farm where he did farm work.
    From what I understand,that's pretty hard labor...and didn't his powers kick in at puberty?

Avatar image for omega_level_supreme
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The title question is a really good one, and one I have pondered for years concerning superhumans with innate superhuman strength. I never really found an answer, but right now I'd like to play the theorist.

Everyone knows Superman has an extremely dense molecular structure, but what many people don't think about is the possibility that of Supe's being a mesomorph as well. This kind of physiology combined with his solar-powered cells should allow him to develop muscle mass and tone at a superhuman rate. Most people are aware how muscles work, you work out, they split and rebuild themselves; however a lot of people don't take in the nutrition aspect of repairing cells. Your body breaks down foodstuff and uses the materials to replace and replenish preexisting cells. This fuels your body's muscles helping them to build and strengthen. Since he has a photosynthesis-like metabolism, he'd be able produce the fuel he needs to build muscles fast and spontaneously.

A mesomorph is someone with a lean build which features a lot of tone and definintion. With maturity, a man is very likely to develope a higher percentage of of muscle mass and begin to fill-out after reaching adulthood. Oftentimes muscle development can get stimulated by normal activity and although Superman is superstrong, his body still interact with itself, therefore the strenuous activity that helps supports his physique progresses from and internal stimulus instead of an external aids (such as lifting weights).

The answers could also be that Kryptonians are genetically designed to be this way, through billions of years of a ridged breeding process on their home planet.

A lot of professional athlete are mesomorphs, and although they are well built, most are not the best looking or top ten in one given muslce group or as strong as one might expect.

Ahhh... does anyone know what a PM Blast is and why I keep getting them?

Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sidney
    @Omega-level Supreme said:
    "The title question is a really good one, and one I have pondered for years concerning superhumans with innate superhuman strength. I never really found an answer, but right now I'd like to play the theorist.Everyone knows Superman has an extremely dense molecular structure, but what many people don't think about is the possibility that Supe's may be a mesomorph as well. This kind of physiology combined with his solar-powered cells should allow him to develop muscle mass and tone at a superhuman rate. Most people are aware how muscles work, you work out, they split and rebuild themselves; however a lot of people don't take in the nutrition aspect of repairing cells. Your body breaks down foodstuff and uses the materials to replace and replenish preexisting cells. This fuels your body's muscles helping them to build and strengthen. A mesomorph is someone with a lean build which features a lot of tone and definintion. With maturity, a man is very likely to develope a higher percentage of of muscle mass and begin to fill-out after reaching adulthood. Oftentimes muscle development can get stimulated by normal activity and although Superman is superstrong, his body still interact with itself, therefore the strenuous activity that helps supports his physique progresses from and internal stimulus instead of an external one (such as lifting weights).The answers could also be that Kryptonians are genetically designed to be this way, through billions of years of a ridged breeding process on their home planet.A lot of professional athlete are mesomorphs, and although they are well built, most are not the best looking or top ten in one given muslce group or as strong as one might expect.Ahhh... does anyone know what a PM Blast is and why I keep getting them? "

Wow! Okay good enough answer for me.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RedK
    @Omega-level Supreme:  yeah a PM blast  is like sending the same text from your phone to every one in your contact list at once. they send them to let you know about some stuff lately to Digg their articles
    Sidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sidney

Still i prefer a slender athletic looking Superman. Not buffed and atheltic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.