Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why is One Punch Man doing better than Superman?

• 107 results
    DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@raunjisto: Sounds like Superman with Lobo's mind stuck in there.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@squalleon:

I really think you'd like OPM. It's fantastic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

I think the only reason that maybe will make me like it is that it parodies shonen, which I hate.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

I think the only reason that maybe will make me like it is that it parodies shonen, which I hate.

From what I've seen on here, both in terms of the pages posted as feats on One Punch Man battle threads and video clips from the new anime, even when it parodies and satarises shonen, One Punch Man feels seriously shonen like in its tone. It's better than Dragon Ball Super at least but I'm just seeing further examples of why I'm not interested in the majority of anime and manga.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

From what I've seen on here, both in terms of the pages posted as feats on One Punch Man battle threads and video clips from the new anime, even when it parodies and satarises shonen, One Punch Man feels seriously shonen like in its tone. It's better than Dragon Ball Super at least but I'm just seeing further examples of why I'm not interested in the majority of anime and manga.

Expected. I am not interested into watching an anime series anyway.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

Nor am I, I have enough to watch and catch up on as it is.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

You've got to give it a chance, guys. Most of what you've seen is out of context. The action and fights aren't the point of OPM at all. Ultimately the book, I think, is about depression. I'd say it's worth a read.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By toptom

@sog7dc said:
    @lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:
    @sog7dc said:

@squalleon:

You've got to give it a chance, guys. Most of what you've seen is out of context. The action and fights aren't the point of OPM at all. Ultimately the book, I think, is about depression. I'd say it's worth a read.

....ummm...yes, i think as you think that they should give this book a try...but not for the same reasons. Saying that the point of this manga aren't the fights is like saying that the fights aren't the point of dbz; the points of this manga ARE the fights and its irony in equal parts and not the depression. Opm,like everybody already knows, is a parody of the regular shonen in which the hero keeps getting stronger and stronger via facing his enemies and going through extreme excercises but here we have exactly the opposite: the main protagonist is the strongest one since the start thanks to some dull regular workout and his enemies tend to become stronger as the story progresses. Saitma feels depressed because he is too strong but this fact is the key to the irony of this manga,which isn't complex or profound like Berserk or Vinland Saga but it is extremely cool and funny nonetheless.

oh,another thing,another good reason to read it is the wonderful art which has nothing to fear from even the best american comics:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom:

I completely disagree but whatever.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: at the end we are all bound to our subjective view,we can't totally escape from that...but saying that the main point of opm is the depression doesn't make sense, it is just like saying that the point of heidi is being dark.

Yes saitama at the beginning couldn't find a job,wasn't a a good student and couldn't really find his place in the society but these aspects weren't really explored,all that stuff was used like a pretext for the writer to make saitama say: "you know what? Fuc#k this shit i want to be a hero!" That's all,this is still a manga which focuses a lot on the action side and the funny side at the end of the day. A manga (or a comic) which explores the depression is another thing.

Avatar image for mightythunderbird
    MightyThunderbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Both characters are very similar. You would think One Punch Man should be hated and looked down upon like Superman for being OP but hes not. He has found great success.

Thoughts?

No Caption Provided

Since Yesterday even Putin did better than Supes

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom:

I think your taking the story at face value. Still, I completely disagree with your interpretation. Saying OPM is about action is like saying Allstars Superman I'd about the powers. It is, in my opinion, a reductionist view.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

Well for one most versions of Superman are not uber OP. They are just heavily wanked.

Give the man a cookie, cause he is right.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Opm is a grat manga but it isn't a manga that needs much "interpretation". Saying that opm is about action (plus irony and parody of the genre) would be right,saying that All star is about Superman's powers is not. There is a difference. Trust me,you are the only one i have ever heard who says that opm is about depression.

However there are many people who read about the caped baldy here,if they care they will correct you.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom said:

@sog7dc: Opm is a grat manga but it isn't a manga that needs much "interpretation". Saying that opm is about action (plus irony and parody of the genre) would be right,saying that All star is about Superman's powers is not. There is a difference. Trust me,you are the only one i have ever heard who says that opm is about depression.

However there are many people who read about the caped baldy here,if they care they will correct you.

Like I said before, I'm of the opinion that yours is a reductionist view that does a disservice to the writing. I think reading a book like OPM and coming away with the idea that its about the fights is taking it a face value. I also find it very presumptuous of you to act as if your interpretation is any more objective than mine. And just because I'm the only one you have ever heard express these ideas, does not mean I'm alone in my interpretation, just that I'm the only one you have seen express it.

Also, it is entirely possible for OPM to be both a parody of the genre and a story about depression; the two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: i apologize if i sound presumptuous but in this case i can't help it, you are surely free to see in it whatever you want ,but don't delude yourself, besides the manga i have read a lot of forums about opm (about the fights,speculation about the story,about the characters,about the anime and the manga in general,ecc...) and you are the first who says that this manga isn't about action (and i haven't told that it is JUST about action) but about depression.Yep,this doesn't mean this interpretation couldn't be shared by someone else...but if that's the case i bet that there aren'many other people out there. The fights in these manga are as important as they are in dbz,a lot or people,me included, have started reading this manga thanks to its insane action sequences that are still a main pillar of this book. Saying that: "The action and fights aren't the point of OPM at all" doesn't make any sense i am sorry.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SOG7dc

@toptom:

Oh, you've read "a lot of forums"? Surely, then, you must be the final authority on what OPM is about.

It's absolutely ridiculous to say that the fights are as important to OPM as they are to dbz. That's a false equivalence if I've ever read one.

Seriously, maybe you should read them again. I don't see how anyone could read OPM and say it's only about fights.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Of course i am not the final authority about anything as much I have never said opm is ALL about fights. Is that so much difficult to comprehend? I have just said that is stupid saying that opm has anything to do with fights when the main protagonist is a being who gets his name by one shotting his enemies. Bye.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom:

There's this thing called irony. Another thing called subtext. Maybe familiarize yourself with them?

I think your interpretation of OPM is shallow and it totally misses the point. Hello?

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: .....yes but another whole thing is inventing a new whole subtext for no good reason.

However you know what? Maybe opm is about ponies and the fact i am the only one saying such a thing isn't strange at all

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom:

Google "One Punch Man Depression". I'm definitely not alone in my interpretation.

Or you can keep thinking the book is about the cover.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zandalf

Maybe it is about depressed ponies XD

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cuz unlike the concept of Superman, OPM is fun, doesn't take itself seriously, and connects on a human escapist perspective that anyone could relate to Saitama's character. Superman is kinda trapped in itself being a limited context of american propaganda and sheer Slice of Life with a god like alien being submissive to human beings.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By righteous300

OPM isn't that deep. It's a lot of fun though.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes still more successful than OPM. OPM's popularity is already going down.

@luna_joestar said:

He is ?

New to me

Head to 9gag. 50% Fallout 4, 30% OnePunchMan, 10% NSFW and 10% rest :P

Since when did 9gag become a measure for success?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Supes still more successful than OPM. OPM's popularity is already going down.

@squalleon said:
    @luna_joestar said:

He is ?

New to me

Head to 9gag. 50% Fallout 4, 30% OnePunchMan, 10% NSFW and 10% rest :P

Since when did 9gag become a measure for success?

Well, it just means OPM is having a fanbase. He may not be more successful that Supes, but he has his followers.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

in sales? i thought manga generally did better because its more global and all came in one book

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx:

Superman is a dated character. The real problem with Big Blue is the personality. He's a boyscout with no flaws. The most powerful hero, loved and respected by everyone: no one is interested anymore in this kind of character.

Saitama on the other hand is a modern character. He's an underdog, a nerd, an asocial. Nobody take him seriously even if he's the most powerful being in the universe. The citizens don't like him, other heroes despise him and villains underestimate him.

He's just a better and modern character

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: @jogga:For me I feel like characters like Goku and AstroBoy represent something missing from Superman that hasn't been captured, see in Japan they DO NOT care about their characters being OP. They LOVE it which is why I feel Japan likes Superman and his concept, almost all of the manga heros in Shonen are punk characters but are ALWAYS super idealist like Superman. I feel Superman shoudl take a page from anime because the anime is inspired especially Shonen characters by him in a sense.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes the newest fad.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF is One Punch Man? Manga? Lol. Nobody cares about that in the real world.

Xibfwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OPM can't hold a candle to superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xibfwb said:

OPM can't hold a candle to superman.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Aaaaaa... What?

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this isn't an answer or even on topic but after checking out OPM it well got some chuckles out of me, kind of like the old days when Superman was a dick.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because one is an actual fun character that can be relatable on a humanistic aspect socially while the other is just an icon with a near perfect personality and a dated character that even his own fans want to still use him as some blunt instrument of truth and justice while not conforming to modern times.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drocta said:

WTF is One Punch Man? Manga? Lol. Nobody cares about that in the real world.

OPM is sold more in america than current superman comics, think about that for a sec.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I mean it's more along the lines of people not actually bothering to read superman but going off what they see in the movies or cartoons as canon. But weirdly they will devote countless hours reading manga. The reason for that is because American Comics often have a disgustingly long and complex history that is intimidating to even dive into. But Mangas often have one definitive timeline with few branches and consistent storytelling which makes them less confusing to follow and easier to get into and root for the main heroes.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
    deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93 said:

@redwingx:

Superman is a dated character. The real problem with Big Blue is the personality. He's a boyscout with no flaws. The most powerful hero, loved and respected by everyone: no one is interested anymore in this kind of character.

Every iteration of Superman has flaws. What are you talking about?

@oldboy93 said:

@redwingx:

Saitama on the other hand is a modern character. He's an underdog, a nerd, an asocial. Nobody take him seriously even if he's the most powerful being in the universe. The citizens don't like him, other heroes despise him and villains underestimate him.

He's just a better and modern character

Better? He's jut a parody of your average Goku clone.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Have you guys read and watched OPM? The mission statement is obvious. It's satire. It's a satire of the shonen manga style and the current world wide trend of the superhero. It pokes fun at the concepts and contrivances of the shonen manga style that we as fans are either consciously or unconsciously aware of from years of watching anime and action show in general.

Look at how extravagant the powers and back stories of his foes are, yet they all die just the same. Look at the oh so serous and altruistic Genos. He is long widened and takes himself waaaaay to seriously. His back story is tragic, and his mission is one of single minded personal gratification. He is the hero of a shonen manga.

In contrast Saitama (the 'one punch man') boring in back story and motivation. He always starts a fight by saying "I'm a hero who does this sort of thing for fun". He gained his powers through a boring method. Genos looks for greater meaning in this and that is tell of his character and the show/manga.

This is more accepted than Superman's brand of overwhelming power because it's satire and very self aware. The actual focus isn't on the fact that he's so strong but on the familiar beats the show/manga is hitting while using his power as a platform. It's a very smart and instantly charming way of going about this sort of thing.

To be honest with you the Superman line could learn a thing or two from this. The over self-important take on the character is wearing thin and is a bit inaccessible when not handled with care. a dash of satire and a self aware nod could go along way with the character. I mean who better than Superman. He's seen and been through every single convention of western comic story telling. He himself has been riffed on time and again so why not reflect that a bit in a clever and entertaining manner.

Just a thought.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm not sure why people keep comparing Superman with One Punch Man, the characters, there worlds, and the reasons they exist are completely different. If you are deadset on using comparisons then the closest comic equivalent to OPM is Squirrel Girl.

Avatar image for det_batsuperman
    Det_BatSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wut

Avatar image for deactivated-60cedd66cf0a6
    deactivated-60cedd66cf0a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Both characters are very similar. You would think One Punch Man should be hated and looked down upon like Superman for being OP but hes not. He has found great success.

Thoughts?

watch this and you will understand why one punch man is doing better..

http://gogoanime.ch/Watch/147567/one-punch-man-specials-2015/episode-2/

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By HighAccuser

Because its a parody and doesn't take itself seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cruelestashley:

Every iteration of Superman has flaws. What are you talking about

Unlike superman, saitama don't care about saving the universe, he is only hero for fun, he will rather do the home chores then fight monsters.

Better? He's jut a parody of your average Goku clone.

You don't understand the character of saitama unlike goku or other characters he lacks the passion, he is bored from his life (just like us) that's what makes him different from every other hero.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
    deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero:

Unlike superman saitama don't care about saving the universe, he is only hero for fun, he will rather do the home chores then fight monsters.

What the hell does that have to do with what I said?

You don't understand the character of saitama unlike goku or other characters he lacks the passion, he is bored from his life (just like us) that's what makes him different from every other hero.

Nope.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superprohero:

What the hell does that have to do with what I said?

saitama has similar flaws of normal human which makes him more relatable.

Nope.

i think you just don't want to understand.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.