WHY doesn't anyone recognize Clark Kent?

#1 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

So we all know that when Superman takes his glasses on he becomes ordinary journalist Clark Kent and no one recognizes him as the Man of Steel. This has been a fact for so long that no one seem to care about how stupid it is. Seriously, is all of Metropolis and DC's population devoid of IQ? Even Lex Luthor, one of the most brilliant minds in all of DC is unable to figure out Clark Kent's true identity. What the deuce?? I'm sure many Superman fans are happy not caring and think it's silly that people want plausible characters, but plausibility for me is crucial to be able to take a story seriously. Seriously, Superman moving planets is MORE plausible than him being unrecognizable because of a pair of glasses. The only possible explanations I can find for this intellectual fallacy among the DC universe population is either:

a) For the DC population, face recognition goes higgledy-piggledy when people wear different clothes (because we know people aren't straightout stupid, didn't Lex Luthor once create a time machine in prison from an orange or something like that?)

b) No one has actually seen Superman's face because he never stays at one place long enough for people to get a good look at his face (which he does, but it could have been a plausible explanation)

c) Superman has some kind of unknown confusing power that makes people unable to recognize his alter ego (this is interesting, what kind of power could that be?)

Alternative C is the most plausible one to me, anyone have any suggestions to what such a power could be? Has any Superman comic or encyclopedia ever actually tried to explain this phenomena seriously?

#2 Posted by Teerack (6238 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's more that superman doesn't wear a mask and has the power of a god, so no one expects him to have a civilian identity.

#3 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Clark uses more than glasses. He wears ill-fitting clothes to give the impression that he is out of shape. His hair and posture are completely different. Also, the glasses distort the color of his eyes, making them look different than Superman's.

There is also the fact that Clark arranges to be seen alongside Superman on occasion, through the use of shape-shifters (Martian Manhunter) pretending to be either Clark or Superman.

@Teerack said:

I think it's more that superman doesn't wear a mask and has the power of a god, so no one expects him to have a civilian identity.

This too

#4 Posted by HolySerpent (12537 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree with robin

#5 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack: @r3d_rob1n: you two are just making stuff up to refrain from saying writters think people are stupid.

#6 Posted by Izaiah (5198 posts) - - Show Bio

Read this, especially the 'Trope Namer' and 'Real Life' sections.

#7 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

Clark uses more than glasses. He wears ill-fitting clothes to give the impression that he is out of shape. His hair and posture are completely different. Also, the glasses distort the color of his eyes, making them look different than Superman's.

There is also the fact that Clark arranges to be seen alongside Superman on occasion, through the use of shape-shifters (Martian Manhunter) pretending to be either Clark or Superman.

@Teerack said:

This too

Well said!

And the Oscar goes to Kal-El aka Clark Kent

#8 Posted by Nox_Arc (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry states it during Blackest Night. Clark wears clothes two sizes too big, raises his voice a few octaves, and hunches over.

#9 Posted by Izaiah (5198 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause comics

#11 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

Effing magic.

#12 Posted by cameron83 (7296 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe its like how the first flash vibrated and blurred his face to hide his identity....or smoething

#13 Posted by Teerack (6238 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: It's a point that's been bought up in the comics. When ever someone tries to "out" superman people usually respond thinking the idea the superman walks among us is ridiculous.

#14 Posted by War Killer (20191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Izaiah said:

Best. Superman. Scene. EVER.
#15 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's stop bullshitting, it's the curl.

#16 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's a comic.

#17 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the tiny domino masks on heroes like Robin are really all that much better.

#18 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10772 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@karrob said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Teerack said:

This too

Well said!

And the Oscar goes to Kal-El aka Clark Kent

#20 Edited by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the best representations of the differences between Clark Kent and Superman is in All Star Superman as drawn by Frank Quietly. Not only does he slouch, have a different hair style and wear clothes too big for him he also has this different feel about him and is drawn as moving comepletley differently.

#21 Posted by raecinio (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with YoggSaron, how do people NOT know who Robin & Nightwing are? Or Green & Red Arrow for that matter?

What I liked about Arkham City's redesign of Robin was that the hood afforded his face more cover than the traditional domino mask.

#22 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's in America. If you put a face on a beef burger or a steak, they'll tell you colour of meat, date of expiry the name of the cow it came from etc. They're not that great at noticing things.

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

Cause comics

best explication
#24 Posted by Rusty_Irons (627 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Teerack said:

This too

ditto.

#25 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13129 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do we have more than one thread devoted to this?

#26 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

One of the best representations of the differences between Clark Kent and Superman is in All Star Superman as drawn by Frank Quietly. Not only does he slouch, have a different hair style and wear clothes too big for him he also has this different feel about him and is drawn as moving comepletley differently.

This. It was so effective, Lois didn't believe he was Superman even though he admitted it.

#27 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Why do we have more than one thread devoted to this?

Cause Supermania is off the charts and we fanboys need to be discussing details every now and then. Reviving old threads may be an option... But we like to add more threads regarding Supes... Even though they're dupes. We're that bad. That's how we fanboys roll.. Nyahahaha!

#28 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's a fictional fairy-tale universe where men from space land on earth and fly and save the day using their super strength.

#29 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

Because it's a fictional fairy-tale universe where men from space land on earth and fly and save the day using their super strength.

That's the most boring reply ever.

#30 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

A wizard did it, blame Zatanna.

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Its much more than just glasses, its posture, the clothes he wears, he alters his speech pattern, his personality, his behavior

#32 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

This. I heard of a comic where Lex has a computer try to figure out where Superman goes when he isn't saving someone, and it comes up to reveal he's Clark Kent. However Lex refuses this as he can't comprehend why a man-god from another planet would disguise himself as a "weak man" like Kent. Guess that old saying about assumptions is true.

#33 Posted by nickzambuto (13653 posts) - - Show Bio

Guy 1: Hey Jack can I borrow a couple bucks?

Guy 2: Sorry man, left my wallet at home. Why don't you go ask Clark Kent over there?

Guy 1: Yeah ok sure- hey where'd he go?

Guy 2: I don't know but there's Superman!

#34 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

Guy 1: Hey Jack can I borrow a couple bucks?

Guy 2: Sorry man, left my wallet at home. Why don't you go ask Clark Kent over there?

Guy 1: Yeah ok sure- hey where'd he go?

Guy 2: I don't know but there's Superman!

I totally pictured Guy 2's voice as Cleveland from Family Guy

#35 Edited by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

@CannotSpellMyName said:

@cosmo111687 said:

That's the most boring reply ever.

No, the most boring reply ever would be a lie or an attempt to apply logic to something that is fictional. I gave you the truth. Superman is a modern day fairy tale and everything about his world operates on suspension of disbelief. If you don't like it, well, get used to it.

#36 Posted by StoneAngel (10 posts) - - Show Bio

The Shoveller: Don't start that AGAIN. Lance Hunt wears glasses, Captain Amazing DOESN'T wear glasses.

Mr. Furious: He takes them off when he transforms...

The Shoveller: That doesn't make any sense, he wouldn't be able to see!

#37 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

It's suppose to be disbelief. Superman is a god that can do anything while Clark Kent is just a nervous wreck of a reporter. You simply can't put two and two together because they are so different.

Also, the hair style and glasses change helps:

#38 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8850 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's superman, he's super at everything. Even b**lsh*tting people

#39 Posted by FrankenKong (234 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: This is why there is no other and never will be another man like Clark Kent and hero like Superman.

#40 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Yeah, Superman said that whenever someone takes a picture of him he vibrates on a molecular level to eliminate the details of his physique.

#41 Posted by The Stegman (24356 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Superman is so extraordinary, that people find it hard to look at ordinary people to locate him, and who's more ordinary than Clark Kent? a bumbling reporter from Kansas?

#42 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would Superman want to be a human?

#43 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Izaiah said:

That is the funniest thing ever

#44 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's Dean Cain as Clark and Chris Reeve as Superman... :D

#45 Posted by darkhunter89 (524 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe the same reason nobody knows that green arrow has the same beard like oliver queen

#46 Posted by Jeremy1989 (669 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Book Logic. That's why

#47 Posted by redwingx (822 posts) - - Show Bio

Everybody knows who Superman is. He's an alien named Kal-El from faraway planet Krypton that was destroyed by Free- er, a meteor when he was younger, so he barely escaped and found Earth, where he built his new home, the Fortress of Solitude, in Antarctica. Nobody has any reason to think that he normally walks alongside lesser mortals as a mere reporter.

#48 Posted by dorukesin (5923 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.