Why does Superman wear his underwear over his tights.

#1 Posted by Sun Rider (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#2 Posted by Kuku Man (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's stupid of course!

#3 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

Mancore says:

"Because he's stupid of course!"

And every other hero that follows him is stupid.

#4 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Not compared to how stupid and culturally unaware this thread is.

#5 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Same reason Batman does of course.

#6 Posted by Spectrum (4468 posts) - - Show Bio

hey you leave Bat's put of this,

well the best superhero cough Flash cough dont wear there undys out ways in

#7 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a tradition of strong-men everywhere.

See. I myself, often where my pants over my trousers when I go to the pub. It lets all the unsavoury characters know that I'm not to be messed with.

#8 Posted by DEADPOOL (2702 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's because he was afraid of heights at first and he didn't want people to know he wets himself. After he got over that problem... well, it had already become a fashion statement.

Post Edited:2007-06-25 19:32:52

#9 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

why the hell has he got a cape? or tights? i just go along with it

#10 Posted by Wanda Maximoff (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"why the hell has he got a cape? or tights? i just go along with it"

#11 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it looks better than a codpiece.

#12 Posted by Wanda Maximoff (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Prodigious Man says:

"Because it looks better than a codpiece. "

#13 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

its not underwear its overwear

#14 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

bc its iconic for him and they really need to up date his outfit to the superman 2000 (ultiamte superman) costume. i think people would love that and alot more people would like him

#15 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF:  those first 2 were cool not really a fan of the one form godfall
#17 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont take credit for any of them. i couldnt do any of that.

The first one is the one i think he should actually change too.

the second is kinda cool but i just liked the whole different approach with the colors

the third i liked it more than the second but it looks like one they would use if he was batmans side kick or something

#18 Posted by Shanana (52892 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they are more like Compression pants....you know for stuff that needs compressing ^_^

#19 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF:  the third was actually used as civillian clothing on Kandor while he was working as an under secratery for the goverment
#20 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:

yea i know but i would make a semi cool superman costume
#21 Posted by Webstad (275 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just me speculating, but I think the overwear's original function was to hide the hero's junk (not to cover it up, per say, but to make it less noticeable). When you wear tights like that, there really is nothing left to the imagination. I recall something said to Ko-Rel by one of her compatriots when she became Nova. It's different for women I'd think, but you can imagine how embarrassing it would be for a hero to get an erection in public, or during a meeting. The outerwear just hides it a bit better. A codpiece seems more to function as a jockstrap more than anything. Nobody likes being kicked in the crotch.

#22 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

lol k first supes would have to be kicked in the crotch the likes of wonder woman or super igrl or a green lantern power kick to make him get hurt lol.

second we are out of the modesty time period, look at what female characters are wearing now a days. The least they could do is get rid of the overwear bc it attracts peoples eyes to that spot

#23 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

He's making a fashion statement, you can wear you underwear outside and still look manly.... 

#24 Posted by Alpha (7322 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of DC male characters has that design. Even some of Marvel"s.

kind of
#25 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wanda Maximoff said:
"

Rotten gun says:

"why the hell has he got a cape? or tights? i just go along with it"

"

Ewwww
#26 Posted by loveNwar (435 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a distraction. While people payed atention to his underwear they wouldn't notice so much his face ( that looks juuuussst a tad like Kent's, don't you think)...

#27 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@loveNwar said:
"It was a distraction. While people payed atention to his underwear they wouldn't notice so much his face ( that looks juuuussst a tad like Kent's, don't you think)..."

Not really. But oh well.
#28 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84518 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I could wear my underwear on the outside of my pants. I'd make it hot

#29 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't want to stain them.

#30 Posted by Jane McClane (201 posts) - - Show Bio

i think I actually remember someone asking Lois that in a comic... and she laughed and whispered basically what everyone else has said... I can't remember if that was in a comic, or a fanfiction humor story... oh well...

#31 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause he a bisexual lol. Joking.

#32 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

he flys really fast two words: Wind Chill
and when a guy flies up wearing red underwear on top of blue tights most people avoid making eye contact. It is really the most genius part of his disguise
Superman does NOT wear his underwear on the outside. By definition underwear is intended to be worn under the clothes. The red fabric in his crotch area is part of his entire outfit, not a separate piece intended to be worn underneath.
and he's super hero! Though I am told that if I wear mine outside I won't be one. Go figure

#33 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

And he bisexual.

#34 Posted by NightFang (9866 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuz it make's him look sexy.

#35 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"Cuz it make's him look sexy. "

lol
#36 Posted by Tra-EL (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously because it's classic. Superman is known for the Red & Blue. This isn't fashion, it's comic books. When I look at those pics above, those pictures aren't Superman. It doesn't give off the same vibe to me. Superman is an image known worldwide, and the world connected with him ever since 1938.

Back when Superman lost his powers after his death, and he turned to the Energy Red and Blue Supermen, it was so hard to read just because of his appearance. ( it was bad.) It didn't rub off well. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Plus, you can't turn an icon that existed for 70 some years and mess with his image like that. Merchandise sells because of how CLASSIC Superman is.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.