Why does Kryptoniens not get effected by Kryptonite on Krypton?

#1 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a superman fan, but by no means an expert but have always wondered why do they have Kryptonite on their home world and why doesn't it effect them?

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonite is total nonsense so I prefer to imagine it does not really exist. The newer explanation that kryptonite is an energy source is a bit better so even on Krypton, kryptonians should not be exposed to it.

#3 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't have kryptonite on Krypton, because Kryptonite is actually radioactive pieces of Krypton created from it's destruction.

#4 Posted by Overkill (404 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a joke, right?

#5 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95 said:

I am a superman fan, but by no means an expert but have always wondered why do they have Kryptonite on their home world and why doesn't it effect them?

This is a good question, which brings me to this, if Krptonite will kill Superman, then what happens if he were somehow to go back in time to the planet Krypton, he'd die right? I mean Krptonite is part of his planet right?

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34024 posts) - - Show Bio
@FiguredOut95@colonyofcells@evilvegeta74@mpierce2690 said:

They don't have kryptonite on Krypton, because Kryptonite is actually radioactive pieces of Krypton created from it's destruction.

This ^^
#7 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@FiguredOut95 said:

This is a good question, which brings me to this, if Krptonite will kill Superman, then what happens if he were somehow to go back in time to the planet Krypton, he'd die right? I mean Krptonite is part of his planet right?

Because it's not part of his planet. Kryptonite is a fragment of Krypton that is now radioactive.

#8 Posted by Project_Worm (3471 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@FiguredOut95: @colonyofcells: @evilvegeta74: @mpierce2690 said:

This ^^

Thank you.

This thread... It made my mind numb...

#9 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In the New 52 Action Comics, it seems like kryptonite is now just a power source or engine for ships on krypton. Superman was able to use his own kryptonite poisoning radiation to give power to his ship. The new origin of the various kryptonite used against superman by villains are mostly derived from the stolen kryptonite engine. Villains are using at least 3 colors of kryptonite : green, red and blue, which are all derived from the stolen kryptonite engine.

#10 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you for your reply's.

#11 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of info on kryptonite on the internet is out of date bec. of the New 52 reboots. Many people are still repeating the old kryptonite information from pre-flashpoint before New 52. For the New 52 Kryptonite reboot, have to look at the New 52 issues of Action Comics. Green Kryptonite still causes blood poisoning and death. Red Kryptonite now causes hallucinations and maybe also death. Blue Kryptonite makes superman depressed and maybe also death.

#12 Posted by muhabba (301 posts) - - Show Bio

They've brought back the multi-colored Kyrptonite? "Come to Krypton! The Skittles of all the planets in the Universe!"

#13 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2228 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

In the New 52 Action Comics, it seems like kryptonite is now just a power source or engine for ships on krypton. Superman was able to use his own kryptonite poisoning radiation to give power to his ship. The new origin of the various kryptonite used against superman by villains are mostly derived from the stolen kryptonite engine. Villains are using at least 3 colors of kryptonite : green, red and blue, which are all derived from the stolen kryptonite engine.

Kryptonite is radioactive pieces of Krypton after exploded. Radioactive materials are often used as fuel, like in nuclear power plants. Kryptonite logically operates the same way.

#14 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@muhabba said:

They've brought back the multi-colored Kyrptonite? "Come to Krypton! The Skittles of all the planets in the Universe!"

Haha "Krypton taste the rainbow".

#15 Posted by therrieur (245 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok but since kryptonite only affects Superman when he's got his powers, the red sun of krypton disable them, and that's why kryptonians are not affected by kryptonite.

That explaination doesn't explain why supergirl wasn't affected by her fuel since she was being alimented by the yellow sun radiation while she was orbiting around the sun.

#16 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@therrieur said:

Ok but since kryptonite only affects Superman when he's got his powers, the red sun of krypton disable them, and that's why kryptonians are not affected by kryptonite.

That explaination doesn't explain why supergirl wasn't affected by her fuel since she was being alimented by the yellow sun radiation while she was orbiting around the sun.

So some people here are still trying to explain the OP's question all the while ignoring this little fact (see quote below) that should have ended the thread a great many posts ago?

@mpierce2690 said:

#17 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

The pre-flashpoint explanations for kryptonite are probably not true anymore in the New 52 reboots.

#18 Posted by Clark_EL (2671 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95 said:

Kryptonite is what makes them normal. It was my understanding as that when a Kryptonian under a yellow sun is exposed they become normal again. Now Imagine you are walking and suddenly you become a lot weaker, it would make anyone feel sick and weak. You would feel heavier dizzy confused, that's how I always pictured it.

#19 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9026 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95: Easily explanation,like here on Earth fatal substances exist in underground and we are not affected by them.

#20 Edited by Teerack (7163 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690: They did have some. Or at least Jor-el must of made some, because it was powering Superman's rocket. Which still makes sense. I mean we power stuff with nuclear stuff and it has basically the same effect on us that Krptonite has on Krptonians.

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Kryptonite was made toxic by the explosion of the planet so technically it wasn't actually harmful until after krypton ceased to exist

#22 Posted by redleader1 (559 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: it like him changed in our sun also it is from the destruction if krypton it is underground after all it only weakens him not removes powers or kills they are already in their weakest state and therefor not affected

#23 Posted by Commander_Kane (715 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd worry less about superman, and worry more about my grammar lolol.

#24 Posted by ComicStooge (13466 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonite wasn't created until bits of the planet Krypton were exposed to some radiation in space after the planet blew up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.