Why do you guys hate MoS so much ? (spoilers)

#1 Posted by consolemaster001 (5585 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok yeah the "Supes killing zod" part is stupid but overall it was a good movie.

#2 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people on here like the movie. Some just didn't enjoy it as much as others. I personally enjoyed the movie, but im not going to say that its perfect and insult anyone who doesn't love it.

#3 Edited by Lvenger (19905 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently they tried making him more human. He's an alien who can fly, travel faster than light, lift the Earth, and shoot laser beams from eyes. How do they make him human? They make him a killer. Good job! Great lesson for the kids.

#5 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it, majority of the people here liked it....enough with the hate threads it's getting old. Saying this cuz people have stated their complaints about 5 times already on the forums.

#6 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Man of Steel cause Shaq's acting sucks and it's just basically just the film Walking Tall but with armour. That's just about it. Oh and the suit's design sucks.

#7 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the parts that were worth liking those wonderful moments with Kevin Costner and the kid, and Russel Crow on Krypton, The scenes where he hadn't donned his costume yet and he was saving people when and where he could... but then he gets the blue and red -and it all seems to go to sh!t.

I wanted it to be a feel good flick. I get a better feel from a Die Hard film and John McClane kills tons of people in them, so I don't know. It just didn't feel good when it ended, it felt kinda dirty, like something you regret the next morning if you know what I mean. And as I always say ''bad pizza is better than bad sex'' ... tragically, bad sex is better than Man of Steel.

#8 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I heard the word 'Disappointing' more than 'Hate'. I like the movie, it has its flaws( like every other movie), but it does have something missing from making it great. Hopefully the sequel will be better, given the direction its taking.

#9 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

To be honest, I heard the word 'Disappointing' more than 'Hate'. I like the movie, it has its flaws( like every other movie), but it does have something missing from making it great. Hopefully the sequel will be better, given the direction its taking.

well said

#10 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it.

#12 Edited by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I was extremely dissapointed in the movie. The action scenes were great and Jor-El's scenes were awesome, however it doesn't fully redeem the rest. One, the movie seemed more interested in trying to evoke awe through imagery than deepen the plot. I got tired of seeing these slow shots of scenery that could have been used to to further the plot rather than just look good. The relationship between Clark and Lois just seemed kinda stale, and her finding out who he was so quickly was awful. Zod's character seemed pretty underdeveloped. Johnathan Kent characterization was just plain bad(I mean what kind of human being would tell his young son that he probably should have let a bus full of kids die. That's just an awful human being right there. I don't care how much you care about your son. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. And his death was just suicide plain, simple, and pointless.) Clark not caring about collateral or public damage was way off. He pretty much let downtown Smallville get wiped out(And I'm pretty sure dozens were hurt or killed) as well as decimating a good amount of Metropolis in his fight against Zod. The Superman as a Christ figure analogy throughout the movie was too much(and if you don't see it, go look it up. Warner Brothers even encouraged pastors to encourage their congregations to go see the film). I have no problem with a little comparison, but I think they went overboard with it. And finally, there was no "Kneel Before Zod" line, which is just a travesty.

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, people suck.

#14 Edited by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by cameron83 (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

GODDAMMIT HOW MANY OF THESE THREADS ARE WE GONNA GET?!!?

News flash:

a lot of people either love it,or are disappointed (and many hate it).....

People have opinions...this isn't exactly new. There are like many threads like this that address the exact same issues...

and besides,most people on here either love it or are just disappointed.

#16 Edited by JulieDC (957 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually have no problem with Superman killing zod but I don't like the film because I have no interest in the darker take on Superman. Dark and gritty works better on Batman than Superman. I feel like DC should try and capture the essence of what makes Superman so great rather than make him in the likeness of Batman. But my biggest problem with the movie is poor character development. I felt like they could have gone deeper with the story and actually do something with the cast. I just couldn't connect with the characters as a result. My disliking this film is odd because I used to hate Superman and only began to like him when I watched the 1978 version a few months ago. I don't expect this film to be like that film, but I don't want it to be like Nolan's Batman trilogy either. The concept wasn't horrible...I just didn't like how it was done.

#17 Posted by lilben42 (2545 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that alot of people that didn't like it. Missed the true concept of half the scenes in the movie. It's just one of the things I observed.

#18 Posted by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't you know?

It's Hip to Hate!
#19 Posted by PowerWoman (3364 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman dont need kill...I dont like he kill zod

And he isnt save his father....just see him to dies...

#20 Posted by SoA (4836 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought it was a great film . even the zod part, it was written and executed well.

#21 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

I actually have no problem with Superman killing zod but I don't like the film because I have no interest in the darker take on Superman. Dark and gritty works better on Batman than Superman. I feel like DC should try and capture the essence of what makes Superman so great rather than make him in the likeness of Batman. But my biggest problem with the movie is poor character development. I felt like they could have gone deeper with the story and actually do something with the cast. I just couldn't connect with the characters as a result. My disliking this film is odd because I used to hate Superman and only began to like him when I watched the 1978 version a few months ago. I don't expect this film to be like that film, but I don't want it to be like Nolan's Batman trilogy either. The concept wasn't horrible...I just didn't like how it was done.

That's how I got interested in superman as well.

#22 Edited by SanoHibiki (1521 posts) - - Show Bio

Went to see MOS twice, liked it even more in second time. Have only 3 problems with this movie:

1. Can’t understand how thousands of this scout or colonial ships during time of Krypton’s expansion weren’t able to produce at least several flourishing colonies. Would be nice to hear about Daxamites.

2. They went a little overboard with Superman as a Christ analogy

3. In final fight Clark and Zod were unharmed, no scratch on one of them. That downed impression of this ‘fight to death’ to me.

Otherwise, I seen character development and pretty sure that many plotholes, which MOS-haters talking about, exist only in their imagination.

In the end, every man and woman has their own opinion, for me film was very good.

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the movie, yea it could have been better but it was pretty good, I can understand why some people wouldn't like it and I can even agree with a lot of their complaints but the people that have been basically stopping just short of calling me a moron for liking it are a bunch of whiny cry baby dicks. If you feel that someone's opinion on a movie is worth degrading people then you suck, that's not an opinion that's a fact.

#24 Edited by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Went to see MOS twice, liked it even more in second time. Have only 3 problems with this movie:

1. Can’t understand how thousands of this scout or colonial ships during time of Krypton’s expansion weren’t able to produce at least several flourishing colonies. Would be nice to hear about Daxamites.

There are several examples in history where apparently very successful societies seemed to be going backwards. China is a good example of great efforts being made to expand and influence new territories only to be abandoned after a few generations. The Roman Empire also went through static or regressive phases, like Trajan/Hadrian or the Late Empire, where the central highbrow Hellenistic culture from Rome began to be diluted by influences from the fringes of the Empire. Few people would have imagined in 1900, that barely 50 years later the British Empire would be mostly null and void.

#25 Posted by SanoHibiki (1521 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki said:

There are several examples in history where apparently very successful societies seemed to be going backwards. China is a good example of great efforts being made to expand and influence new territories only to be abandoned after a few generations. The Roman Empire also went through static or regressive phases, like Trajan/Hadrian or the Late Empire, where the central highbrow Hellenistic culture from Rome began to be diluted by influences from the fringes of the Empire. Few people would have imagined in 1900, that barely 50 years later the British Empire would be mostly null and void.

I thought about what you’re written before, but in our history death of one civilization usually ingrained with actions of other civilization. Degradation can begin inside, but catalyst to end of civilization is usually some outside factor.

When Jor-El’s hologram talked with Clark, he said something about “humans not like kryptonians, but in the end that a good thing, because the wont make same mistakes we did”.

Thousands of colonial ships… I doubt that every last of them attacked some inhabitant planet, I believe that they find some nice uninhabited planet, with resources, terraformed her to kryptonian taste, maybe even in system with young yellow sun. Probality says that at least several successful colonies were built, but in the end that didn’t happen.

My opinion that reason lies in misusing that genetic programming-thing. Say, directive ‘protect the Krypton’ somehow lead to development of directive ‘can’t leave Krypton, should stay on Krypton’. Fact that Jor-El and Lara wasn’t able followed Kal-El to Earth even when they loved him that much, supports this theory.

In the end, it’s just my little theory. It may have been left unsaid in the movie or it simply undeveloped storyline. I simply wanted some clarification.

#26 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio

right now I'm hating it because people seem to think that it's ok to make thread after thread after thread about the same thing instead of just adding their comments to an already existing topic...there are two that are even news articles written by the staff and then there's the hundred or so topics that are just like this one

#27 Posted by lilben42 (2545 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4800 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't hate it. I just didn't enjoy it as much. It's an average movie for me. I give it a 7/10. I did enjoy a couple parts a lot but the annoying thing was that he killed Zod. Normally I wouldn't care but that Superman vs The Elite really got to me. I kept thinking about it. Besides that it was good.

The biggest annoyance however is from the fans with ridiculous complaints.

I feel like their "questions" were obviously answered in the movie. I can keep on going but pretty much it's FANatics complaining is my biggest gripe with the movie. Besides the killing Zod, that's a bit more understandable.

( + )

#30 Posted by MuyJingo (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone hated it. I think almost everyone was impressed and enjoyed the scenes on Krypton, young Clark findings his way.

There was just a lot that was disappointing, and it could have been so much more.

I think everyone at least liked it. The only people who loved it, were those never really into Superman though.

#31 Posted by consolemaster001 (5585 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Man of Steel cause Shaq's acting sucks and it's just basically just the film Walking Tall but with armour. That's just about it. Oh and the suit's design sucks.

LOL

#32 Posted by soldierofel (198 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I loved the film. It's my favourite of this year and cannot wait for the sequel. The complaints brought about are because it wasn't Richard Donner's superman. There was no humour and to people he didn't save many. Though if you think about it; he saved billions in the end. Then there's the destruction aspect. People moaned about it because superman couldn't save everybody and people died. But that's the truth. Superman can't save everyone. He may be a godlike being but he can't save everyone. In the end he made a choice that would better everyone. He had to kill zod. People forget that this isn't superman in a comic book. This is real life. There was no star labs super technology that could imprison zod. There was no kryptonite. No green lantern corps. Supes did not want to kill. But to save the rest of the world and it's citizens he killed zod the last of his race. And he was hurt about it. This isn't a experienced superman. He was thrust in to a situation that he didn't understand and he acted on his instinct to save everybody. This first Kill will probably jolt him into the position were he will never kill again. Superman was only made darker because that's what people wanted. People have moaned about superman being to nice and kind. So he was made just that little bit darker and look at the reaction. Over six hundred million has been made. I can guarantee that if this was another superman returns or donner superman it wouldn't have generated the interest. To put it into retrospect I was talking to a friends younger brother. He's 12. When I asked him about man of steel. He said he didn't want to see it because "superman Is just a silly dude who flys in a blue costume". He went to see man of steel. And do you know what? He loved it. Superman is now is favourite hero and he wants to read all of his stories. This was the aim of man of steel. To generate intrest in him. We all can have our normal superman in the comics. But for the wider audience, this is what was needed.

#33 Posted by Perezite (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Apparently they tried making him more human. He's an alien who can fly, travel faster than light, lift the Earth, and shoot laser beams from eyes. How do they make him human? They make him a killer. Good job! Great lesson for the kids.

I'm not sure he IS faster than light in this version.

#34 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6172 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't bad but it wasn't good to me it was ok, decent, and watchable. I literally went in there telling my dad it will be as good as Batman Begins and Dark Knight. Then I sat in there constantly getting disappointed with every passing scene in the first hour.

#35 Edited by ValendianKnight (297 posts) - - Show Bio

As a diehard Superman fan, who's been reading his comics for years now, I loved the movie. I was expecting a new take on the character and I got it. If this movie was ANYTHING like any of the previous films, then I would've hated it. I hate how people complain that the movie was not the Superman they expected, since that's exactly what I thought about the Nolan Batman movies. Those movies made Batman the least interesting character in his own film(Joker, Catwoman, Bane, Gordon were all far more interesting), and did Batman poorly, ignoring how intelligent he is supposed to be for example(among many other issues), and people love those movies. I liked MoS a lot more, and a lot more than most CBMs to be honest. I hope Snyder and his team continue forth with their own vision and ignore complainers. They made enough money to justify ignoring them anyways.

#36 Posted by silverJuggernaut (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the movIe. It was tIts

#37 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was great. I'm excited to see where they bring the Cinematic DCU.

#38 Edited by flameboy298 (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was just "Good" Felt like alot was missing from that movie,Im not a Batman fan I only went because It looked killer in the trailers/teasers.But The CGI part where

Zod and Superman constantly fly around knocking each other into buildings got old..I really hope we dont have to see that again.Also in some parts the CGI didn't look that great.It was just a average film IMO,The action was phenomenal though.

#39 Edited by 9dragons (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can't save everyone, but hardcore fans think he could do it. Superman ran on the idea that he can save anyone and do what can't be done. an advertising point similar to Hulk is the strongest there is. Both false thought. Fans moan when characters don't perform as advertise.

#40 Posted by TJSH96 (875 posts) - - Show Bio

"Why do you guys hate MoS so much? (spoilers)"

I don't hate Man of Steel.

#41 Posted by ComicStooge (12817 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Man of Steel.

#42 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate it with a passion. it is trying to be batman begins or dark and edgy like the dark knight duology (yeah good luck with a character whose powers come from the sun and has one of the strongest moral compasses ever). it insult your intelligence left and right and expects you to be emotional about it. it thows at you supes' supporting cast because it has to and because it is so edgy now, jimmy is a girl now. aaaaand the worse offence of all, it does not feature superman. it features a kryptonian whom i shall call chip. chip does the thing supes doesnt do: kills the iceman (seriously go watch that, now that is a great michael shannon performance) for a family of morons. yes, you can say and i dont care if you that i hate it.

#43 Edited by Ryagan (855 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do I hate Man of Steel? Bland characters, lifeless atmosphere, mindless, over-the-top action, and a pretentious plot about Kal-El feeling "isolated." I mean, yeah, we get he feels isolated, but the movie doesn't really do anything worthwhile with it. This movie tries to be deep, but its attempt at doing so falls flat on its face. And Amy Adams and Michael Shannon both SUCKED in their roles. They were both criminally bland. This movie is just a disaster.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.