Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why do so many people hate smallville?

• 153 results
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By sethysquare

@ssejllenrad said:

Like some of the people here said... It's more soap-opera than superhero series. Aside from that, the far deviation from the source materials affected my interest in the series. Not that far deviation is a bad thing (cause I loved Nolan's deviations) but I just felt they did it wrong. That's just me.

I don't really hate it. But I hate the fanatics. Fans are ok. But the fanatics piss the sh*t out of me. For example, the backlash when Henry Cavill was selected for Man of Steel. It was ridiculous. The fanatics wanted Welling to be the one and only Superman. That will kill the movie franchise. People will associate the movie with the show and the polarized fan/hate-base would cut the interest in the movie.

Another example of fanaticism? Here ya go...

@TitanTempest said:

@sethysquare said:

I love Smallville. People who hate it are actually dead on the inside. Poor them.

This!!!

Nyahahahahaha!

Uhm, there are fanatics everywhere. Havent you seen those Superman Christopher Reeves fanatics that bitch and whine about the new outfit all the time.

You look like you're one of them.

I made a joke, if you can't decide what is an exaggerated statement and a serious one, poor you.

TitanTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By TitanTempest

@sethysquaresaid:

@ssejllenrad said:

Like some of the people here said... It's more soap-opera than superhero series. Aside from that, the far deviation from the source materials affected my interest in the series. Not that far deviation is a bad thing (cause I loved Nolan's deviations) but I just felt they did it wrong. That's just me.

I don't really hate it. But I hate the fanatics. Fans are ok. But the fanatics piss the sh*t out of me. For example, the backlash when Henry Cavill was selected for Man of Steel. It was ridiculous. The fanatics wanted Welling to be the one and only Superman. That will kill the movie franchise. People will associate the movie with the show and the polarized fan/hate-base would cut the interest in the movie.

@TitanTempest said:

@sethysquare said:

I love Smallville. People who hate it are actually dead on the inside. Poor them.

This!!!

Nyahahahahaha!

Uhm, there are fanatics everywhere. Havent you seen those Superman Christopher Reeves fanatics that bitch and whine about the new outfit all the time.

I made a joke, if you can't decide what is an exaggerated statement and a serious one, poor you.

Like you said "ssejjllenrad" deviations arnt bad, I like variations.... It would be stupid for every comic universe to feel the same, I dont think they did bad for their Smallville universe.... Smallville did a great thing by bring everyday people into the comic world. The more people we get into comics, the more publishers can expand and grow. Superman, has lost a lot of fandom over the years, but because of Smallville he gained many fans, which in my eyes is good!!!

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By sethysquare

@TitanTempest said:

@sethysquaresaid:

@ssejllenrad said:

@TitanTempest said:

@sethysquare said:

This!!!

Nyahahahahaha!

Like you said "ssejjllenrad" deviations arnt bad, I like variations.... It would be stupid for every comic universe to feel the same, I dont think they did bad for their Smallville universe.... Smallville did a great thing by bring everyday people into the comic world. The more people we get into comics, the more publishers can expand and grow. Superman, has lost a lot of fandom over the years, but because of Smallville he gained many fans, which in my eyes is good!!!

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I watched Smallville loyally from series premiere to series finale, and I'd say about 75% of the show is what kept me going through the whole thing. Some of the positives:

1) Superman's full array of abilities. One of the things tv and movie versions of Superman tend to leave out (even animated versions) is the wide range of powers he has. They tend to focus very clearly on strength, invulnerability, flight, and heat vision and only dip into his other powers when the need arises. Smallville showcasing all of them was a great touch. Especially super speed. Its not often tv and movie versions will show Superman running or moving very fast (outside of flight), so for that to be one of the first powers presented was a nice break from the norm. The progression of his powers was a good touch, rather than making him a straight Superboy copy out the door. I don't get as upset about the one trick x-ray vision as most fans because the show displayed the power as its name implies. Yes they showed it like we think of it in the comics the very first time he used the ability (seeing into the girls locker room) and it was implied he could still do that through facial expressions or off-screen moments, but I think just showing the ability as its name implies did the show better than making it a straight copy from the comics. The only two powers I didn't agree with were superhuman healing and flight. The healing aspect they took way too far into Silver Age territory (like when he was impaled through the chest by an alien vine but recovered in seconds when the thing was removed) and flight just looked weird with the need to "charge up" and have the wind tunnel effect going behind him (looked like an interpretation of Red Tornado than a Kryptonian flying). The fact that flying was used so infrequently made it even worse.

2) Great cast (not Kristen Kreuk). Welling, Rosenbaum, Mack, O'Toole, Schneider, Glover, Durance, Hartley, Freeman, and Blue were outstanding choices for their roles and even some of the "freak of the week" or bit actors were exceptionally well cast and acted. Though sometimes the writers wrote some flat or one-dimensional scripts or character arcs, I thought all of these actors and actresses carried themselves well for every season they were in. The fact that Rosenbaum and Glover could make the villains such loved and well received characters in a comic book inspired tv show really stood out.

3) Chloe Sullivan. For my money, Allison Mack beats Kristen Kreuk hands down in every category. The character they gave her was also a great idea and a way to keep things fresh for a new interpretation. Though how well her character developed varied from season to season, it was still refreshing to have a character that became molded by the story just as much as Clark Kent.

4) Bringing more DC characters to tv. We wouldn't have had an Aquaman pilot attempted or the new Arrow series if not for bringing in DC's lesser known heroes to the small screen and giving them their due alongside Clark Kent's rise to heroism. Though the costume and origin designs were a bit iffy (still think they should have used Barry Allen with a combination of Wally and Bart's traits) it was great to see so many DC staples brought into the show to open up the Smallville universe to something bigger than just Superman. All the Superman films and shows beforehand had limited the world to just Superman as the world's only hero (don't even think The New Adventures of Lois and Clark had other DC heroes in it) and for Smallville to do away with that idea was a huge step in the right direction for bringing more characters to modern audiences (though unfortunately not all, like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, fared as well as others). Yeah we didn't get Batman or Wonder Woman......oh well. Don't really care. It wasn't the shows fault DC and the WB couldn't agree on that so I don't blame the show for characters they weren't allowed to use.

What kept it from being the comic book tv show every comic book reader could ever want:

1) "No flights, no tights". This idea made a lot of sense at the time the show was created. Nobody wanted a remake of the Superboy tv series (try and find those online if you've never seen them. Some good episodes but overall pretty typical old school superhero tv production) and it gave Smallville that twist on the established origin. But they never moved away from it. Considering how smart the decision was to use it, once they saw the success of Marvel superhero films and Nolan's Batman, something should have clicked that modern audiences could handle a more comic book looking show. They could have made him fly earlier, have stories with more Superman flare earlier, and I think seasons 6-8 would have had a much better showing than they did. I don't mind waiting till the last season for his full costume (instead of the last 5 minutes) as he would only be 24-25 at the time so the idea of a superMAN makes sense at that point vice before. But by limiting how the show could have progressed coupled with not even showing Welling in costume really turned the show off for a lot of fans.

2) Very slow character progression. This show snail paced the character growth of Clark Kent and many others. Again, it just kept feeling like the writers were too afraid to pull the characters away from the success of season 1, possibly believing they would lose too many viewers that had been gained from the more teenage aspects of the show's start. But where the Harry Potter series (to an extent but definitely the films) grew up with its target audience, Smallville didn't. Older viewers, like myself, were okay putting up with teenage drama and character aspects in those first three seasons as we could remember what it was like to be teenagers. At the same time teenagers were at that age. But as those fans the show had picked up aged and matured, the show itself really didn't. It just kept using the same themes, ideas, emotions, and restrictions as before. That's really sad because season 4 and 5 looked like the show was going to progress pretty well, and then about mid-season 5 it started to become clear it really wasn't. Had the writers progressed the characters in step with the new teenage audience they had picked up in season 1 I think more people would have kept following it and older viewers wouldn't have become so frustrated by the static character development that suddenly made a good jump in season 9 and helped bring new life into the series for the final two seasons.

3) Re-used themes. I know as comic book readers we're used to themes and story ideas coming back up over and over, but normally we get a good five or so years between theme cycles. With Smallville we had the same ideas coming up year after year, especially in connection to red kryptonite or similarly induced effects. Its a staple of tv shows that we except because most of the time the same idea is done in a different way because writers don't have the benefits of a plot device like red-K. It was the use of a specific plot device like red-K that made the repeat patterns so much more noticeable.

4) Kryptonian technology. Specifically the Jor-El program and the Fortress of Solitude. Way too powerful and god-like. Too in-line with the "savior" idea that was only meant to be a marketing scheme in season 1. You could tell the show really didn't have a good idea of how to present alien technology for a protracted tv show and because of that kept contradicting themselves and using it to fit the story rather than having a set idea of what it can and can't do and then fitting the story around those guidelines. I think many will broaden that complaint to a lot of different areas, but for my money the area that showed the least forward thinking was in how to present Krypton and just what Kryptonians were like and what technology they had available to them.

Just some thoughts. Tried to keep it balanced with 4 positive and 4 negative. Like I said, I enjoyed about 75% of what the show offered through its entire 10 season run and the fact it was able to keep enough fans to make it an even decade is a testament to the fact that a) the show actually was good despite how much comic book readers may complain about it and b) more and more people are interested in these characters than sitting through another clone of Law and Order or family/buddy/workplace/social scene comedy show. Hopefully new shows like Arrow and possibly a Wonder Woman series will take what was good and bad about Smallville and use what was learned to keep making better superhero series just as the movie industry seems to have caught on.

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#55  Edited By GR2Blackout

@KainScion said:

@moywar700: because its more stupid soap-opera, love triangles than actual comic stuff. i liked the show but man does it get boring really fast with all love interests of clark kent.

This.

Its good, but they try to make it more of a drama then an actual Superman show. Hey, at least it beats the crap out of that Birds of Prey show.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By frozen  Moderator

I hated the early seasons that had nothing to with Superman. But I completely loved the last season, THAT was Superman.

TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TheDude123

I didn't hate it but it was too much like a soap opera for my taste.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Suprman

Smallville is one of those shows that when it was good, it was REALLY good and when it was bad it was REALLY bad. I loved the show once it moved out of the High School romance love triangle stuff. I can't stand Lana, Tom Welling wasn't bad, he got better over time. I also loved John Schineder as Jonathon Kent. My favorite scene/moment in the WHOLE series is the last scene of the first episode in season 10. Clark is questioning the choices he's been making and his father comes in and tells him that everyone makes mistakes and despite that he still has the ability to become the world's greatest hero. It was one of the great moments of the series.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ssejllenrad

@sethysquare: Chill dude. The "Nyahahaha!" should have been enough to tell you that I was joking as well. Haven't we been here in the vine long enough to know friendly trolling? :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it is a version of DC canon that has been dumbed down for the masses. A bunch of nobody teen to early adult actors playing superheroes who rarely ever do anything more than talk. You simply cannot do a comic based TV show and expect it to be done well unless it is done on a premium channel like HBO. At least with a cartoon you don't have to deal with the budget issues to show the characters actually using their powers and not explode the budget.

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By btmt

I always liked smallville very much from Season 1 to 10.

They did the perfect job for making best SUPERMAN tv show.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By PurpleCandy

@SuperJimmy said:

low budget of a TV show for superman and the fact that it's on the CW, which makes it mandatory to do stupid teenage-ish romance bullshit? Yeah, I guess that's why. BUT, news flash, none of those bother me, and I enjoyed the show from the beginning to the end. (Ok, I admit I can't stand Lana. That's the ultimate reason I guess.....)

Yep, thats what makes it lame. But an Adult Superman live action show probably wouldn't have worked

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ssejllenrad

@btmt said:

What?!?!?!? Superman only appeared in like a few minutes in the last episode in the last season. How is that a Superman show? That's a Clark show. Different thing. Nyahahahahaha!

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By btmt

@ssejllenrad said:

@btmt said:

What?!?!?!? Superman only appeared in like a few minutes in the last episode in the last season. How is that a Superman show? That's a Clark show. Different thing. Nyahahahahaha!

Oh come on, In the end clark kent is Superman.

From your point of view you are totally right(about Clark kent's show) but I used the SUPERMAN show.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Deranged Midget

It wasn't a bad show, but sometimes it truly overstayed it's welcome.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By bloggerboy

@btmt said:

No, he's The Blur! :P

But to be honest the show itself didn't know whether it was it's own take or a blend of Donner-verse and some comic book arcs. In S10's Masquerade Clark proclaims he's always been The Blur...except he has not! And yet the producers insist it's a show about Clark Kent...which is why they throw us like 90% of the Superman IP...except not the character itself.

For the record I watched all ten seasons and thought it was enjoyable in both good and bad ways. But overall I gotta say. WORST DEPICTION OF SUPERMAN PUT ON SCREEN. Bella Swan, meet SV- Clark Kent. A match made in Hell!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#67  Edited By StMichalofWilson

They expected him to become Superman earlier, also to fly.

X9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By X9

: Cause it never ends haha

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ssejllenrad

The real reason:

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By btmt

@bloggerboy said:

@btmt said:

No, he's The Blur! :P

But to be honest the show itself didn't know whether it was it's own take or a blend of Donner-verse and some comic book arcs. In S10's Masquerade Clark proclaims he's always been The Blur...except he has not! And yet the producers insist it's a show about Clark Kent...which is why they throw us like 90% of the Superman IP...except not the character itself.

For the record I watched all ten seasons and thought it was enjoyable in both good and bad ways. But overall I gotta say. WORST DEPICTION OF SUPERMAN PUT ON SCREEN. Bella Swan, meet SV- Clark Kent. A match made in Hell!

OK that was right, but I always put mind and expectations aside and just watched the Smallville for Entertainment, in some parts they actually made bad decisions storywise but they did good job.

But I would say that main villain of Smallville was Lana lang rather than Lex luthor, I mean lana lang was almost in every season of smallville other than season 9-10 and Lex luthor didn't get more screen time in last seasons but Lana lang actually ruined the series with the boring stories and bad portrayal and that's why I hate Kristin kreuk so much.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Skewer

@btmt: I don't blame Kristen Kreuk for how Lana turned out although I agree that it was the worst Lana Lang I have ever seen. I blame the script writers because they did not know what to do with her or didn't care. In the end the execution of the series was just so dissappointing that I could not enjoy it no matter how much I wanted to.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Suprman

@xAnimosity said:

I am currently watching the show, I am on the 6th season. My girlfriend is a huge Superman fan and wanted to watch it all again, this was my first time. And this show actually made me become a Superman fan. Even though its very dramatic and soap tvish. It made me connect more with Superman and want to read more about him. After growing up hating Superman, he is now one of my top 5 favorites. Some episodes are more fun than others, but the ones with JLA members are great. Plus Lois is nice to look at.

The same thing Happened to me. I was out of Superman fandom for a couple of years then, I watched Smallville starting at season 6 and I've loved the character ever since.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Suprman

@PurpleCandy said:

Yep, thats what makes it lame. But an Adult Superman live action show probably wouldn't have worked

They did do one of those, It was called "Lois and Clark." It ran for four years in the 90's and focused on Clark's relationship with Lois as opposed to Lois and Superman. I recommend checking it out.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PurpleCandy

@Suprman said:

@PurpleCandy said:

They did do one of those, It was called "Lois and Clark." It ran for four years in the 90's and focused on Clark's relationship with Lois as opposed to Lois and Superman. I recommend checking it out.

I heard of it, but dosen't that focus more on the chick-flick/metaphoric side of Superman, instead of story-arcs and the serious side of superman.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Suprman

@PurpleCandy: Well it comes down to opinion, I think it focuses more on Clark Kent as opposed to Superman.

timelord786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By timelord786

I grew up watching it and is probs one of the things that got me in the comics as i started watching it with my brother when i was 5/6. I knew who superman was and was told it was his young years so i began watching it and now i am typing on a comic book forum like 11 years later so you know it is pretty darn good!

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By PurpleCandy

@Suprman said:

@PurpleCandy: Well it comes down to opinion, I think it focuses more on Clark Kent as opposed to Superman.

I get what you mean

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Suprman said:

@PurpleCandy said:

Lois and Clark - aka Superman: The Romantic Comedy... Nyahahaha! To be honest, I kinda liked it more than Smallville. A wee bit too light-hearted and never took itself very seriously. But it got Superman! In a Superman suit! But it got cancelled so meh....

Anyone here watched the 80's Superboy?

Khadija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By Khadija

@moywar700 said:

I watch a few episodes during the first few seasons but that's pretty much it. Why do so many people dislike the show though?

My guess is that it has to do with their preferred interpretation of the character. Or they could be snobs and think Smallville is kind of fluffy pop entertainment, which it certainly is (and as an occasional snob, I won't hold this against them). Personally I have such a huge crush on 70s Curt Swan Superman that I couldn't read the Byrne stuff for years just because he gimped big blue so hard.

I like Smallville, some of it anyway, and I've seen it all. Currently pulling Smallville S11 and enjoying it, frankly it's better than the show at its best (which was pretty good).

Anyone here watched the 80's Superboy?

Yes, and I thought it was terrible. Haha, not to rain on your parade if you liked it. I remember one episode where he defeats a vampire by welding pipes together into a cross. And I was like YOU'RE FREAKIN SUPERMAN YOU SHOOT HEAT RAYS OUT OF YOUR EYES, burn the mofo!

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't please everyone. Superman, the most well-known superhero, gets the same treatment.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Press Oblivion

I liked the show for the most part. (I'm not sure if I've said this already) I found Clark's constant wining about his destiny to be counter to the strength of his character. I would have really liked to see a knock down drag out fight with Darkseid too, in the last episode so that was sort of a let down. But by and large I enjoyed the show. The first 3 or 4 seasons were good as they focused on his time in as Clark in Smallville which was the intention of the show at it's inception.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it was outright terrible, but it certainly wasn't my type of thing. Arrow on the other hand...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I loved Smallville, that is until Lex left, then after that it kinda went downhill. I agree with the Lana hate though, she was useless outside of being a love interest, and once Clark moved on, she became completely useless, which is why the show gave her the ax.

Avatar image for ultimategirlshileha1236
    ultimategirlshileha1236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved smallville probably because im a teenage girl even though lana....no comment lol but anyways for me the series finale was amazing and smallville's lex has to be one of my favorites also Supergirl was awesome too oh and yea Smallville's theme song is one of the best theme songs ever.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like most shows it started out great, but went on for far too long.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The theme song got annoying after hearing it the first season on.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By lifeofvibe

Too many adult scenes plus my mother never let watch it and even when I had a small chance of watching it my mother. covers my. eyes so I was never able too get into it p.s i was seven at the timet

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just rewatched the show...and stopped after Season 3.

Honestly, once the show abandoned its 'freak-of-the-week' formula, it seemed to be unable to find itself. Post Season 2 we have all these weird threads going nowhere (Swann, the Kawatche caves), awkward dialogue between Luthor and Clark leading us viewers to question their friendship, and this stuttering attempt to expand the show to the Superman mythos. I don't know, the early two seasons had an optimistic atmosphere of a small-town kid trying to find his place in the world, having adventures with his friends and family. It felt like 'Smallville'. Once that premise was dropped, the show kinda lost something.

dorukesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think superman's true speed force is in smallville i like it too much.But its ends :(

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's just another CW teen soap opera. Too many love triangles, and Lana was possibly the most annoying character in TV history. They might squeeze in 5 - 10 minutes of superhero action per episode.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The show went on for 10 seasons so I assume a lot of people liked it. I personally loved the series, well, most of it. Couldn't get enough of it and felt a bit empty when it ended.

I think most people who don't like it on the grounds that its different from the comics probably don't understand the concept of an elseworld or What If story. If someone doesn't like it based on the actual quality of the show that's fine I can respect that, I liked it but it was a far from perfect show. But for those of you whining that it isn't the same Superman from the comics all I have to say is well no sh*t, they said from episode one that this was going to be a different take on the character, they made no promises of a carbon copy of your most preferred version of the comic. And besides which Superman version do people consider the "Real" Superman, Is it the original vigilante Superman who ran from police, The Golden Age War bond salesman, The Silver age god who treated humans like toys, The 90s mullet guy, Electric Superman or New 52? The dude has gone through plenty of massive personality changes over the years, Smallville was just another version.

Sorry to give you a notification for a post from a year ago but this was perfectly said.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I loved smallville, granted it was before I started reading comics. I understand why the show might be annoying to longterm superman fans due to the non-matching things but you have to put that aside and realise its a TV-Show with a budget. But I am probably biased since Smallville is probably the number 1 reason im reading comics today.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main issue was they half assed major villains, they had a whole season dedicated to doomsday just for you to see him on the last episode where no major battle took place, same with the last season a poor potrayal of darkseid a whole season building him up for him to not even really appear? The battle sucked. They made green arrow a batman of the show and made Chloe oracle. They made superman too much of a Boy Scout, and that's saying something, lex Luther made the show. I loved the show but in all honesty it was garbage.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can call that crapfest a show, then yes I hated it; not so much now. I haven't laid eyes on it in over five years, so I'm pretty much over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Personally, I found it to be corny and overly dramatic, but I'm not really big on that kind of show in the first place. I don't hate it, I just don't like it.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the show had its ups and downs but i watched it the whole 10 years. lana was there a little too long and i would have slept with chloe my senior year.. real talk lol

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does peopel hate Nolan Batman?

Why does people hate MOS?

Why does people hates The Amazing Spiderman?

Its called nostalgia!!!!

You bet your asses THATS A PADDLIN!!!!
    You bet your asses THATS A PADDLIN!!!!

God how i miss him.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By THORSON

it got boring after like season 3 and we never go to see the red, yellow and blue.

Avatar image for shadowof_thebat
    Shadowof_theBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The list can go on and on but truthfully they all stem from a handful of major reasons...

1.) For a show that's supposed to appeal primarily to comic book fans, it has far too much drama and not nearly enough action! Between the self-doubt of all our favorite heroes and the high school love triangles that never existed in any adaption of the characters, the show is just anther soap opera, this time using the names of familiar characters to draw in a broader crowd.

2.) What the show lacks in canonicity, it makes up for with pure, unadulterated originality...wait...nevermind. The show thrives on its far superior DC media predecessors, such as the legendary Nolanverse. They say they were trying to give allusions to the long-expected Dark Knight to be in the series, but truthfully they saw the success of Nolan's vision an decided they couldn't write anything better so instead they just stole his scenes and gave them slight twists and different character names. Along with borderline plagirism the show also suffered from lack of material, whenever the writers had a block (which appeared to be more often than not) they decided to do one of two things, they tended to gorge the show on meaningless fillers (that have nothing to do with DC at all) and close them with an important cliffhanger to make sure that their "fans" walk away saying, "Maybe next week they'll actually get back to the storyline..." to no avail. Either stuff the show like a Thanksgiving turkey, or another fan-favorite...complete suspension of production! Many times I came home to watch the recorded series and found tht it was simply a re-run from some previous season or just the episode from last week (incase some people missed it I guess...).

Now on the upside, the show did introduce a lot of heroes/villains (albeit a very botched and slaughtered variation of the original) that needed some time in the media. Even the long awaited Caped Crusader made an appearance in the Season 11 comic series...which leads me to my next point...

3.) The stubborness of the writers is appauling to say the least, when DC said no o selling them the rights to certain characters, they just molded the same character into their own variation.

- Barry Allen/The Flash who was crudely transformed into the young "impulsive" Bart Allen/???Impulse??? woah woah woah...where'd that come from? Same color scheme, same story, but with the alias of a COMPLETELY different character from the comics!

-Dick Grayson/Nightwing + Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle =(dramatic pause)......Barbara Gordon/Nightwing! They couldn't get young Master Grayson to make an actual appearance in the show so instead, they mention his city (Bludhaven), mention/display his mentor (Batman [who luckily is still Bruce Wayne]), and then instead of handing the escrima sticks to the Boy Wonder, they are handed over to Barbara Gordon.

-Doomsday turns into Davis Bloome, a dark version of the "Man" of Steel who has a tragic backstory concerning Zod and Faora/Ursa, who falls in....love? Wait? Doomsday loves an earthling?...okay...

Anyway, bringing up Doomsday leads into the next major reason I think we all saw as comic fans.

4.) Everyone knows that Smallville is a show about how Clark became the Red and Blue Boyscout, but can someone please explain why by the time he actually dons the Superman mantle, all of his supervillains are freaking dead or gone in some way shape or form? Lex is the only one still on Earth at the end of the series and the best they could think of was to make him lose his memory. The main list of baddies however has already been taken care of by the aspiring Superman. SO, either this is one heck of a Clark, that he can beat Brainiac, Bizzaro, Zod, Metallo, and even villains from fellow hero rogue galleries, or these villains really suck! They can't beat a farm boy from Kansas who can't even fly! I saved my favorite two villains that had a major downfall to the Boy of Steel, Darkseid (the New God from Apokolips) who doesn't even physically fight "Superman" but rather posesses Lex's father and has a quick ehh 3-5 minute showdown in the Kent farm. The battle against Apokolips is literally, against Apokolips the planet which takes on a somewhat Unicron reminiscent role in the series. And everyone's favorite DOOMSDAY, the monster that "killed" Superman is built up throughout the entire season he's to premiere in and, instead of a Metropolis shattering fight with the beast that should last at least an hour in it of itself, was trimmed to a cute little "I hit you, you hit me, I run you into an elevator to the core and this is over, kay?" and so ends the intergalactic threat that is Doomsday. Looks like Superman really only has to worry about a couple muggers here and there with the occasional Luthor threat, ahh a day in the life...

5.) Last but certainly not least, the cast...Tom Welling, a construction worker with a decent build and the classic Superman jawline is chosen without much thought on the role I guess, and Kristen Kreuk who really can't do anything but look pretty on screen but hey she's only playing Lana Lang who should only appear in like the first few seasons till Clark moves to Metropolis right? :) However these mistakes were made up for with the astonishing performances by Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor, Michael Gough as Lionel Luthor, Justin Hartley as a pretty decent Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, Callum Blue as an interesting Major Zod, and Alan Ritchson who portrayed a picture perfect King of Atlantis AQUAMAN! His performance was so perfect for the role of the least helpful "superhero" ever, I actually completely forgot about his existence in the series! Spot on my friend...spot...on!

These are the core reasons I found most comic fans have with this poorly built TV series, but hey at least Arrow is so far measuring up to be a good show, then again I liked the first few seasons of Smallville too, so we'll see.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because people were thinking they were going to see the blue, red and yellow and ended up seeing nothing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.