Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why Do People Hate SPEEDING BULLETS so much..?

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just finished reading it and it was kinda cool,concept and execution and all.

Am i the only one who enjoyed it or what...?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I literally haven't seen anyone who did or even complained about it :P

It mostly passes under the radar, but that's not hate though....

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By silent_bomber

Never seen anyone complain about it, good book.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gonna ask, what is it about? As I have never even heard of this book.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna ask, what is it about? As I have never even heard of this book.

Superman's rocket falls in Gotham. Becomes Super-powered Batman when the Wayne's die.

The world is an amalgam of the two heroes.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Oh that Elseworld story. Yeah I have heard of it now thanks for the explanation.

Do people hate it? I have never heard any negativity towards it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn’t know that there were hate directed at that Elseworld. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Sure, it is bland and forgettable, but hate is too strong word for that imo.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sovereign91001

I don't think people care about it enough to hate it. Indifferent is the word I'd use. A better example for a hated Elseworld with Big Blue would be: Superman at Earth's End.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds to silly for my taste. Superman should not be raise in Gotham. Seriously Gotham is Satans butthole

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

I don't think people care about it enough to hate it. Indifferent is the word I'd use. A

This.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it has been in the top 5 of every other worse elseworld titles and no one seems to enjoy it. Like all of you are indifferent towards it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it has been in the top 5 of every other worse elseworld titles and no one seems to enjoy it. Like all of you are indifferent towards it.

Being mediocre doesn't make it hated...it just makes it mediocre.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair:

It was a little weird. But other than that...

Hate I believe is a word too strong.

Some people like me might have not found it interesting, or they didn't like the story, but hate... Never read that kind of reaction from anyone.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it hated? It pretty much sums up the worst Elseworlds stories by being based off one stupid sentence, "What if Superman WAS Batman?!?!?!" It's a simple dumb story, but it is too harmless to be hated.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Ok...But that is the whole point of elseworld stories...A what If starts them all...What if batman was a vampire? What if batman was in the 1800s, etc...

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no true hatred. Just indifference, at least from me.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate Speeding Bullets?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Never read it

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard:

Didn't missed anything important, really.

Just the idea of the story itself pushes people away.

SuperCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd make this available on Comixology. Ever since I heard about the concept, I've been wanting to read it, but I don't do dead-tree format these days. I'm genuinely surprised that it's still unavailable as an e-comic. Relatively speaking, it's a lot easier for them to scan the pages into a computer and put out something like this for sale and sell you a copy that way than actually doing a whole new printing run complete with all the materials and labor involved and the possibility of not selling every book you print.

DC Comics isn't making any money off people selling used print comic books second-hand. They would make money off selling them directly in digital format. You'd think they'd go through the warehouse and get everything up for sale. It's odd that there are still big gaps in the availability of titles like the original Action Comics and such.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd make this available on Comixology. Ever since I heard about the concept, I've been wanting to read it, but I don't do dead-tree format these days. I'm genuinely surprised that it's still unavailable as an e-comic. Relatively speaking, it's a lot easier for them to scan the pages into a computer and put out something like this for sale and sell you a copy that way than actually doing a whole new printing run complete with all the materials and labor involved and the possibility of not selling every book you print.

DC Comics isn't making any money off people selling used print comic books second-hand. They would make money off selling them directly in digital format. You'd think they'd go through the warehouse and get everything up for sale. It's odd that there are still big gaps in the availability of titles like the original Action Comics and such.

There's a lot of things that they should make available on Comixology, Shogun of Steel was interesting, as outlandish from the traditional Superman story as it is, same with any number of Elseworlds Stories out there. I mean, Red Son is good, but there's others that they should have up and available.

I found it okay, I mean Superman becoming Batman is alright to me, as I was someone who grew up with Superman dressing up as Batman to save Bruce Wayne in the Bruce Timm series

Superman: The Animated Series "Knight Time"

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it, however I disliked the idea of him being able to overcome his anger and depression (while Bruce isn't able to) and become a 'White Knight' Superman in the end. The whole concept of Batman is that he's experienced tragedy that is impossible to get over and move on from because it's scarred him deeply, yet Lois Lane can influence Bruce(Clark) to be happy now. Thats the only issue I had from this, Bruce(Clark) should've stayed as Batman I loved that idea so much.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ht003: i disagree with how you see Bruce and how some writers choose to portray him. Morrison had this to say about this issue

"I thought Batman was the most sorted together, humanist icon on the planet. That's when I found myself falling out with people who thought he was tortured, damned, damaged or depressed and unable to deal with that guilt. Every night he went out, he dealt with that, thinking he's making things better. He was fundamentally positive and mentally positive and inspiring."

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Like all of you are indifferent towards it.

I'm not indifferent to it, its among the best of the Superman books I've read.

I like that Superman's character shines through at the end, like he was always destined to be Superman wherever he'd ended up.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ht003: i disagree with how you see Bruce and how some writers choose to portray him. Morrison had this to say about this issue

"I thought Batman was the most sorted together, humanist icon on the planet. That's when I found myself falling out with people who thought he was tortured, damned, damaged or depressed and unable to deal with that guilt. Every night he went out, he dealt with that, thinking he's making things better. He was fundamentally positive and mentally positive and inspiring."

hahaha the most sorted out person beats the crap out of criminals dressed as a bat. His whole theme (being a bat and having a HQ in a cave full of bats) is in its own way showing his inability to overcome his childhood trauma of falling into the cave. Perhaps I look too much into the product but I take the whole thing as his way of trying to overcome his fear of bats and moving it onto the criminals he stalks. Also if he wasn't so tortured and damaged he wouldn't try to show the darkest side of himself (Batman) to even his closest friends, he very well could be like the Golden Age Batman and smile at everything. Also isn't Grant Morrison responsible for writing the most dark, self-destructive, damaged Batman? He's at least in the top 10 of that category.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deathfalcon182

@ht003: if you actually read Morrison's Batman, reoccurring theme is Batman does his best to fight crimes not because he's traumatized by past, because he thinks it's the best thing to do. Morrison added significant change to canon by retconning pre Infinite Crisis where Batman never really found out who killed his parents, in his first few issues Morrison had Bruce confront Joe Chill to give us the notion that Bruce had gotten over his so called depression and the need for vengeance. And Morrison never really wrote him that way, he wrote him in dark stories but he didn't make him a depressed man who never got over the fact that his parents were killed when he was 8. If you'd read his run, you'd realize this.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ht003: if you actually read Morrison's Batman, reoccurring theme is Batman does his best to fight crimes not because he's traumatized by past, because he thinks it's the best thing to do. Morrison added significant change to canon by retconning pre Infinite Crisis where Batman never really found out who killed his parents, in his first few issues Morrison had Bruce confront Joe Chill to give us the notion that Bruce had gotten over his so called depression and the need for vengeance. And Morrison never really wrote him that way, he wrote him in dark stories but he didn't make him a depressed man who never got over the fact that his parents were killed when he was 8. If you'd read his run, you'd realize this.

But if he actually got over the fact that his parents were killed, he would no longer be Batman....There tons of conversations between Bruce and Alfred about this matter and it comes to the same conclusion: He is unable to forget the horror, so he thrives deeper into darkness to prevent others from the same horror... I would say that it is his defining moment...And Morrison is just 1 writer, if you look at the overall nature of Batman, then this would be true...
    PS:I find that Bruce being tortured and damned as the best part of Batman...It is also the same path that the joker went through(Only 1 bad day) and the path Batman wannabes(Black Glove) and Robins had to go through...

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OrangeBat

@abdullahzubair said:

@deathfalcon182 said:

But if he actually got over the fact that his parents were killed, he would no longer be Batman....There tons of conversations between Bruce and Alfred about this matter and it comes to the same conclusion: He is unable to forget the horror, so he thrives deeper into darkness to prevent others from the same horror... I would say that it is his defining moment...And Morrison is just 1 writer, if you look at the overall nature of Batman, then this would be true...

PS:I find that Bruce being tortured and damned as the best part of Batman...It is also the same path that the joker went through(Only 1 bad day) and the path Batman wannabes(Black Glove) and Robins had to go through...

Why would he no longer be Batman? Gotham's still a corrupt shithole, crime and evil is still around, people to save are still around, and he's got the skills to make a difference. Plus, one thing that modern comics have sadly forgotten is that Bruce LIKES being Batman. He is over his parents' deaths, but he's not selfish enough to deny people a savior, or dull enough to deny himself the pleasure of foiling super-villain schemes as a Sherlock Holmes/action hero hybrid.

Plenty of generally psychologically healthy individuals have weird traits. I'm betting even you have secrets that would make people raise an eyebrow or two and question your sanity.

If you like tortured and sad Batman, fair enough, but it's not the only legitimate way that Batman's been portrayed.

As for Speeding Bullets, I mostly liked it. I would've liked it even more to see Clark stay as Batman, though. The ending felt kind of like a cop-out.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair said:

@deathfalcon182 said:

Why would he no longer be Batman? Gotham's still a corrupt shithole, crime and evil is still around, people to save are still around, and he's got the skills to make a difference. Plus, one thing that modern comics have sadly forgotten is that Bruce LIKES being Batman. He is over his parents' deaths, but he's not selfish enough to deny people a savior, or dull enough to deny himself the pleasure of foiling super-villain schemes as a Sherlock Holmes/action hero hybrid.

Plenty of generally psychologically healthy individuals have weird traits. I'm betting even you have secrets that would make people raise an eyebrow or two and question your sanity.

If you like tortured and sad Batman, fair enough, but it's not the only legitimate way that Batman's been portrayed.

As for Speeding Bullets, I mostly liked it. I would've liked it even more to see Clark stay as Batman, though. The ending felt kind of like a cop-out.

I have the same opinion on Speeding Bullets...And again, Morrison's Black Glove(I think it was his) portrayed that Batman's brain was scanned and hallucinations of Robin's death was caused for 10 days and the scientist behind this found that tragedy is the thing that drives Batman, thus he created a replacement Batman who's entire family was raped and killed in order to turn him into Batman...Also in Morrison's run, Bruce distances himself from TIm as he doesn't want to go through the pain of losing him...

Also,every time Bruce becomes happy as Batman, someone close to him dies or leaves(Jason Todd, Damian Wayne,etc) and he thinks he would never be happy...(The way he responded to Damian's death and brought him back in Batman And Robin was quite tragic)

Bruce is a tragic character....But again, it depends on who is writing him...And I find that Bruce actually enjoying being Batman as tragic also due to reasons...And if you watched Dark Knight Triology, you would know that Batman quit being Bats in that due to reasons...(Twice!!!) And I think that would be the perfect ending to Batman's tale: Giving up the cowl and being happy...

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@abdullahzubair: I liked it. Because it was as wierd as Superman becoming Batman, there's way worse Elseworlds out there, IMO.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair: I liked it. Because it was as wierd as Superman becoming Batman, there's way worse Elseworlds out there, IMO.

Up Top!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.