Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Why do people dissrespect Superman?

• 54 results
    Crissdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Crissdragon

This superhero has been around the world for about 70 years or so,he's been an idol even outside the comics and has influenced living people,heck you can go around the world and ask litteraly everybody even old folks who superman is,even if they never saw a comic in their life.

Many complain about Superman being too good and too powerfull but he is not suppose to be related to us so why do we try to relate to him?

We were not suppose to understand him anyway since he sees the world different than us and of couse he is suppose to be that powerfull since he is representing the endless potential imaginable.

Over the years Superman has done it all,by having different incarnations and stories,he has been good and bad also he's changed from invincible to a superhero with weakness to apeal the fans.

Really I do not understand what is with people,.first they complain that Superman is too powerfull and then that he is a weakling who can't do anything and useless.

Some people will never be pleased no matter how much you change the character

However this character is the greatest one since no one character can leave a legacy like he did even outside the comics.

It doesn't matter how many changes he will go throught,the spirit of Superman will always be the same.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Lvenger

Because they haven't read a single Superman comic. They just think it's 'cool' to hate on him.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eternal19

Because Superman is different. People these days want all charecters to be street levelers and have an emo personality

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sunhawk

because superman is a mary sue.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SandMan_

With that POV...then so is Batman.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmashBrawler

I was once told that this dialogue right here summed things up perfectly concerning the current hatred against Superman... and I agree.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Squalleon

@SmashBrawler: where is this from??

and yes pretty much i agree

Superman is a high ideal that some people can't believe in

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Squalleon: I tried to track it down and I wasn't met with much success.

I think it's an issue of X-Factor where they travel to the future, but, like I said, I'm not sure.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By INLIFE

People Do Not Respect What They Do Not Understand.

Superman Might Be The Best Known Comic Book Character Out There And One Of The Most Iconic Characters In History.............But There Are More Misconceptions About Him Than I Ever Thought Possible.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Some don't understand his sense of morality, they see him, standing in the sunlight, wearing bright colors, smiling and speaking of truth, justice and the American way, and call that way of thinking "outdated", they see him refusing to kill his enemies, and upholding the law, and call him a boy scott, they see him tossing cars like they were marbles and flying through the sun, and call him overpowered, and some simply see him as the icon that he is, and has been for 70 years and call him overrated, however, I wouldn't have him any other way, he's been one of my favorite heroes since I was a kid, he's taught me how I should behave, what being a hero is all about, and that you don't have to be "brooding or dark" to be interesting, If you don't like Superman, fine, but to hate him for being what he is, it's ridiculous, it's like hating Batman for being a creature of the night, or Spider-Man for being a wise crackin' smarty pants.

Avatar image for goldenboy_prime
    Goldenboy_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Goldenboy_Prime

@Lvenger said:

Because they haven't read a single Superman comic. They just think it's 'cool' to hate on him.

That was me... then I read Action Comics and my life changed forever. I'm off drugs, back in school, out of an abusive relationship with my pet goldfish... I owe it all to the Last Son of Krypton. But in all seriousness I did used to not like Superman, I never read about him but I respected his position in the superhero genre. Then I read Action Comics and my life changed forever. I love Superman now, he's in my top 5 favorite heroes. Some people may read him and not like him, but hey some people think Real Housewives of [insert city] is a good show.

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sunhawk

i don't know about n52 but p52 superman's powers were all over the place. golden and silver age supes had espeically bad instances of this. he is challenged by baddies that given feats in past comics should not have challenged him. the huge proliferation of kryptonite in the p52 universe. kal-el needs darkseid/doomsday level threats to give him a proper story.

batman is the king of streetlevelers and his magic macguffin factory does always seem to have what he needs, but his stories are better.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eternal19

@sunhawk said:

i don't know about n52 but p52 superman's powers were all over the place. golden and silver age supes had espeically bad instances of this. he is challenged by baddies that given feats in past comics should not have challenged him. the huge proliferation of kryptonite in the p52 universe. kal-el needs darkseid/doomsday level threats to give him a proper story.

batman is the king of streetlevelers and his magic macguffin factory does always seem to have what he needs, but his stories are better.

Why do you guys always like to bring in silver age feats which havent been canon for years to justify your hate four superman and what does batman have to do with this? Kinda shows that you havent read very many superman comics

@sunhawk said:

No he's not. This is more proof that you havent read very many superman comics.

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sunhawk
    No Caption Provided
    stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stephens2177

ppl hate superman in the same way kids hate kids who are smartand get good grades

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By GunGunW

Because the people who complain about him have never heard of Thor, Martian Manhunter, Silver Surfer, or the other tremendously over powered characters

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sunhawk

at least Thor is a god and Silver Surfer is a cosmic level character. Superman's problem just isn't his power, it is his lack of appropriate baddies. Superman vs Joker would be a 1 page comic with supes using xray and heat vision to lobotimize him and end the threat forever.instead it would be a 5 comic issue arc where the joker always has some plot device to keep Kal-El at bay until the final conflict.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GunGunW

@sunhawk: Thor isn't a god, he's an alien who thinks of himself that way. Secondly, Joker isn't a Superman villain and lastly at least other heroes can beat Superman without it being considered PIS, Thor and Surfer are unbeatable, and if hey do manage to be beaten, people complain it's just PIS under most circumstances

frostphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frostphoenix

Superman is a great character and is really fun to read.

I have seen people that hate him because they say he is “overpowered” and is not fun to see a character that can do anything he wants. But those people don’t know what they are talking about and they haven’t read anything about him. Most people hate him because they want to feel like they really know anything about comics and for some reason hating him makes them cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for winterfreakinsoldier
    WinterFreakinSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone hates our favorite character?

I know... Lets hate on them and call them idiots... That'll fix it...

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Bruxae

I think most people are just bitter because he is too powerful, I guess that comes with being such an icon, he isnt ever allowed to loose.

I personally like Superman, although I think some things could be toned down slightly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eternal19 said:

Because Superman is different. People these days want all charecters to be street levelers and have an emo personality

Zomg this.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eternal19

@sunhawk said:

at least Thor is a god and Silver Surfer is a cosmic level character. Superman's problem just isn't his power, it is his lack of appropriate baddies. Superman vs Joker would be a 1 page comic with supes using xray and heat vision to lobotimize him and end the threat forever.instead it would be a 5 comic issue arc where the joker always has some plot device to keep Kal-El at bay until the final conflict.

I cant even take your post seriously, because joker is not a superman villian. Get your facts right before you complain about something

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Cap10nate

I wondered when we would get our weekly, "Why doesn't everyone love Superman' thread

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @Eternal19

@sunhawk said:

Why do you guys always like to bring in silver age feats which havent been canon for years to justify your hate four superman and what does batman have to do with this? Kinda shows that you havent read very many superman comics

@sunhawk said:

No he's not. This is more proof that you havent read very many superman comics.

People bring up the Silver Age stuff because it's part of his history and the perception people have of him. My favorite versions of Supes are the Byrne version because his powers were explained and toned down. The New 52 version grew on me because you saw the progression of his powers.

I won't say he's a Mary Sue but he's been portrayed that way before.
    Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#27  Edited By Black_Claw

Because people are ignorant and have probably never read a single superman story in their life.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackWind

He's too powerful. He's too morally upright. His convictions can never be shaken. He has no human problems.

All wrong.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Martian

@Lvenger said:

Agreed.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#30  Edited By Dracade102

I suppose a lot of people just can't understand the appeal of him, and they don't like him being on the same level as characters they can see appeal in, like Batman.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Cap10nate said:

I wondered when we would get our weekly, "Why doesn't everyone love Superman' thread

Heh.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eternal19

@Cap10nate said:

you're right, Their is a lot of threads like this in the superman forum. but, its just because superman gets a lot of hate and it is very irritating to superman fans to constantly hear it all the time

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Superman is the most iconic comicbook character out there.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SandMan_
    @Eternal19 said:

@Cap10nate said:

you're right, Their is a lot of threads like this in the superman forum. but, its just because superman gets a lot of hate and it is very irritating to superman fans to constantly hear it all the time

This has to stop...
    Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Eternal19

@SandMan_ said:

@Eternal19 said:

@Cap10nate said:

This has to stop...

you should bump the other thread so people will stop making threads like this

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By ComicStooge

@Cap10nate said:

Eh. It's just he doesn't deserve all the hate he gets.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheCowman

Why do people hate Superman?

That's a tough question to answer since there's a huge number of reasons.

Me? I like Superman. Never been a huge fan, but I've read his comic on a few occasions and I think he's a great character. One of the main problems he has (and this is true of any uber-powerful character) is that stories about him CAN be hard to write. Honestly, folks like Superman, Thor, and Hulk can be the hardest to write for simply because of how powerful they are. Batman doesn't have this problem. Sure, he's kinda overpowered in his own way with his super-planning ability and deus ex machina gadgets; but if you shoot him, he'll still die. If you hit him it still hurts. Batman villains don't have to be particularly powerful because even a normal person has a chance of killing him.

With Superman it's a little harder. The "hero in peril" form of dramatic tension is harder to have since guys who can kill Supes are few and far between. Sure there's kryptonite, but that can cause it's own problem of every villain having a chunk of green rock hidden in their back pocket. So much more imagination has to be used to write exciting stories. Other forms of peril must be explored. Maybe the success/fail rate of Superman stories are too low for some people. And if they don't take the time to root out the really great stories, then it can lead to an overall dislike of the character.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of this myself. I've become something of a Hulk-hater simply because of how much I hated the "World War Hulk" storyline. Though I'll still admit that the Hulk is a good character in and of himself. Some people can't do that though. It's the same people who off-handedly label Cyclops as "bland" and write him off as a character.

Has he been bland?

Sure.

Has Superman been overpowered?

Sure.

But not all the time. Everyone has been written horribly from time to time, including fanboy darlings like Batman. That doesn't mean that the character is bad. Superman is an iconic character and stands for all the best of the DC universe. He's the one other heroes look to for inspiration. The flaws of people like Superman and Captain America aren't the flaws people usually associate with comic book heroes. Cap and Supes are just good guys. Plain and simple.

And that can be another reason people don't like Superman. Today's comic books are much darker and more violent than the comics of the past. The inherent good of people is no longer a given thing, and heroes like Superman and Cap have become more and more outnumbered by people like the Punisher and Wolverine. The "gray area" of morality so often referred to in comics has become the rule more than the exception. This shift in tastes have left some people feeling that Superman and his ideals are out-of-date and dumb.

In a strange way, it's kinda made Superman the rebellious character. Fighting not only against villains, but against society itself to prove that pure heroism is still a relevant and important thing.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By xxxddd

@Lvenger said:

I've read Superman comics and don't care for him.

@GunGunW said:

@sunhawk: Thor isn't a god, he's an alien who thinks of himself that way.

No, Thor's a god.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Lvenger

@xxxddd said:

@Lvenger said:

I've read Superman comics and don't care for him.

I'm talking about Superman haters, not people like you who just don't care for Superman or don't like him that much or are neutral towards him.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GunGunW

@xxxddd: No he's not. He's a god-like alien.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By xxxddd

@GunGunW said:

A god.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By serpent222

@TheCowman: I think that your post completely nailed it. The way I see it, at least. I see myself as a superman hater, but I really chock it up to preference. And a character like superman really is hard to write. I can't pick up a random issue and read it because I cannot buy that his enemies can harm him. And when you get to the big ones that can, you face a very fast issue of escalation. But really if there were a lot of characters that could best superman, the universe would have been destroyed many times over.

I hate superman because I have a preference for heroes (non-powered) over superheroes (powered). I always saw Superman like this: When you're kids, there is always the conversation of what super power you would pick. There is always that one ass who would pick "my power is to have all the powers!" And that kid would create Superman.

That being said, though, I still have come across many interpretations of Superman that I liked so much that they overcame my dislike of the character. Sometimes the right situations and writers can just work wonders.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Icon

@xxxddd said:

@GunGunW said:

A god.

You can label him a god because he is more powerful but that doesn't make him one by definition, any more than a human being is a god because we can compare one to an ant. Plus as powerful as he is there are many characters more so, and who don't have any of his weaknesses.

Because Superman is the #1 superhero historically it became cool to rebel against that and for creators to create other kinds of heroes/stories that differ from what Superman represents. To each their own, and those who aren't interested in Superman tend to lack knowledge about him or his stories. And some people (as illustrated in this thread) just have different preferences, like being more interested in vigilantes rather than superheroes.

Xornell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Xornell

I think it comes about for two reasons:

1.) He's "OP". He could take a steamy dump on their favorite character's face, and that makes them butthurt.

2.) He is a boyscout. He's the embodiment of good and heroism. Some people like to hop aboard the emo-bandwagon. Wheeee for darkness and killing! We sure are cool!

I think that about sums it up lol

supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By supermaansito

@TheCowman said:

Why do people hate Superman?

That's a tough question to answer since there's a huge number of reasons.

Me? I like Superman. Never been a huge fan, but I've read his comic on a few occasions and I think he's a great character. One of the main problems he has (and this is true of any uber-powerful character) is that stories about him CAN be hard to write. Honestly, folks like Superman, Thor, and Hulk can be the hardest to write for simply because of how powerful they are. Batman doesn't have this problem. Sure, he's kinda overpowered in his own way with his super-planning ability and deus ex machina gadgets; but if you shoot him, he'll still die. If you hit him it still hurts. Batman villains don't have to be particularly powerful because even a normal person has a chance of killing him.

With Superman it's a little harder. The "hero in peril" form of dramatic tension is harder to have since guys who can kill Supes are few and far between. Sure there's kryptonite, but that can cause it's own problem of every villain having a chunk of green rock hidden in their back pocket. So much more imagination has to be used to write exciting stories. Other forms of peril must be explored. Maybe the success/fail rate of Superman stories are too low for some people. And if they don't take the time to root out the really great stories, then it can lead to an overall dislike of the character.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of this myself. I've become something of a Hulk-hater simply because of how much I hated the "World War Hulk" storyline. Though I'll still admit that the Hulk is a good character in and of himself. Some people can't do that though. It's the same people who off-handedly label Cyclops as "bland" and write him off as a character.

Has he been bland?

Sure.

Has Superman been overpowered?

Sure.

But not all the time. Everyone has been written horribly from time to time, including fanboy darlings like Batman. That doesn't mean that the character is bad. Superman is an iconic character and stands for all the best of the DC universe. He's the one other heroes look to for inspiration. The flaws of people like Superman and Captain America aren't the flaws people usually associate with comic book heroes. Cap and Supes are just good guys. Plain and simple.

And that can be another reason people don't like Superman. Today's comic books are much darker and more violent than the comics of the past. The inherent good of people is no longer a given thing, and heroes like Superman and Cap have become more and more outnumbered by people like the Punisher and Wolverine. The "gray area" of morality so often referred to in comics has become the rule more than the exception. This shift in tastes have left some people feeling that Superman and his ideals are out-of-date and dumb.

In a strange way, it's kinda made Superman the rebellious character. Fighting not only against villains, but against society itself to prove that pure heroism is still a relevant and important thing.

nice post dude +1

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By colonyofcells

Super heroes can become outdated and Superman will need more reboots.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ssejllenrad

Apart from the "overpowered" or "non-relatable" rhetoric of the ignorant haters, one reason some people disrespect our boy blue is because of the fanboys. It is one thing to not understand someone, it is another to not try to understand that someone because you don't want to be lumped with the immature crowd supporting that someone.

I'm not saying all of us fans are annoying fanboys. I'm just saying among the loudest bunch are the fanatics who don't even know the limits of Superman.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jobbernos

@Lvenger said:

QFT

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jobbernos

@Eternal19 said:

truth

@drgnx said:

When you are number one ...

No Caption Provided

It is really that simple ...

truth

@stephens2177 said:

ppl hate superman in the same way kids hate kids who are smartand get good grades

truth

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BlackWind

Same reason they bash Aquaman. Haters think it makes them look cool to run their mouth about generic reasons or highly outdated versions of the character.

@xxxddd said:

@GunGunW said:

A god.

Is someone playing the "Thor is just an alien" card again?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.