Why didn't Kryptons leave?

#1 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

if kryptonians were such brilliant scientists and had the tech to travel to other worlds, why didn't they think "Oh! If we move to planet earth we can acquire superpowers and gain immortality!" LONG before they were destroyed

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

They did. Kryptonians used to be very militaristic and powerful. They returned to Krypton after they abandoned their imperial ways.

#3 Posted by Dernman (15250 posts) - - Show Bio

Some interpretations said they couldn't leave their planet because of genetic manipulation mucked them up. 
Some said they were isolationists and didn't want to go anywhere else. 
Why assume they all even knew about the yellow sun? Not all interpretations did Supermans father know about the effect and when he did never said if that was common knowledge or when he found out. 
Plus Krypton was their home and they were living ideal lives. Why would they need to leave.  As far as immortality not all interpretations agree on that.

#4 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

The Eradicator happened.

#5 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Some interpretations said they couldn't leave their planet because of genetic manipulation mucked them up. Some said they were isolationists and didn't want to go anywhere else. Why assume they all even knew about the yellow sun? Not all interpretations did Supermans father know about the effect and when he did never said if that was common knowledge or when he found out. Plus Krypton was their home and they were living ideal lives. Why would they need to leave. As far as immortality not all interpretations agree on that.

So basically, the answer is discordant or unclear continuity. Deadpool's continuity song is echoing through my ears right now.

#6 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought they didnt have enough time to leave because they didnt believe Jor-El. and they were probably doing whatever the heck kryptonians do daily and then all of a sudden there planet starts to blow up. Jor-El only had enough time to get Kal-El into a pod. so he probably didnt know that the planet was going to blow up until it was to late.

#7 Posted by JayMar89 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewere (i forget were) that it was against there religion to leave krypton thats why they had no space program and that they were xenophobes

#8 Edited by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just retcon it so that the Kryptonians were interstellar conquerors eons ago but were defeated by the Guardians of the Universe and forced to stay on Krypton as punishment.

#9 Posted by ComicStooge (13418 posts) - - Show Bio

That's Daxamites, dude.

Online
#10 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

i thought they didnt have enough time to leave because they didnt believe Jor-El. and they were probably doing whatever the heck kryptonians do daily and then all of a sudden there planet starts to blow up. Jor-El only had enough time to get Kal-El into a pod. so he probably didnt know that the planet was going to blow up until it was to late.

That's how I remembered it too.I even saw it in superman tas.

#11 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not asking why they didn't become interstellar conquerors, but why didn't they explore a planet with a different sun and discover their powers, then return and push their planet into orbit of a yellow sun?

#12 Posted by 0n1zuka (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10: Even if they did leave and come back with powers, they would only stand to lose them again when they returned to Krypton.

#13 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@samuel_larson_10 said:

I'm not asking why they didn't become interstellar conquerors, but why didn't they explore a planet with a different sun and discover their powers, then return and push their planet into orbit of a yellow sun?

Takes years for the radiation to kick in. Jor-El didn't even know Kal-El would gain powers. All he knew was that the gravity was different on Earth than it was on Krypton and that he would naturally be more intelligent and physically superior (to an unknown extent).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.