Why are some people against General Zod being the villian in MOS?

#1 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

When i heard he was going to be the villian I became even more excited for this movie than ever. Because, it establishes Superman's sci-fi feel that was kinda missing in superman returns and eliminates the need for kryptonite to pop up in there. And we finally get to see superman have an epic fight on screen. Then i saw a thread on here were people were listing villians they would have rather appeared in MOS, i was like WHAAAAT!!!!!! Why are some people so against it.

#2 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely because who could ever top Terence Stamp?

Also because everyone knows Lex is THE Superman villain.

#3 Posted by Squalleon (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: Probably because Superman has one of the best rogue galleries ever and we have only see two villians in 5 movies.

@AtPhantom: Luthor is great but overused in movies.

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Because its been done before, same with Lex.

#5 Posted by SmashBrawler (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

Beacuse he's overused. Zod already appeared in Superman I & II. The only two Superman villains people know of are Lex and Zod. A lot of people were hoping for Brainiac's live action debut.

That said, Zod and the rest are a fine choice, especially after reading the description of a supposed fight between Supes and Faora.

#6 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it mostly comes down to having too much Krypton in the first film. Its an important aspect of the character, but so is the fact that this film needs to set-up how his first interactions with the world go and to me the conflict of siding with Earth or other survivors of Krypton is a bit too much for an origin story.

They have a good secondary plot with Sam Lane and the U.S Army (and, fingers crossed, Metallo) that it could have been the sole storyline with a precursor event (like dealing with an erupting gang war as his public debut) leading to the military's distrust and desire to "question" him. This leads to a confrontation with John Corbin and his birth into Metallo. Rather than copy something like The Hulk with this premise, in the end the military allies with Superman to both stop Corbin's rampage and allow Superman to deal with the gang wars and save the city. Just a thought.

Going back to Zod, he just makes a better second or third film villain where he can cause fear in the general public by putting into question what Superman has truly been doing on Earth this entire time and destroying the trust he built up in the first film or two. That distrust leads him to question whether he should stand in defense of Earth or stand beside Zod and lead to the confrontation between them that solidifies his loyalty to Earth.

Also, after seeing how much Nolan's last two Batman films (bring on the hate in 3....2....1) dragged way too long due to the high number of character plotlines and themes he was trying to get across the fact he's producing this film means he's had input into its writing and thematic direction and having an origin starting with scenes on Krypton, then moving into his world traveling, then getting to Metropolis and starting a career at the Daily Planet, discovering his Kryptonian heritage, the creation of the suit, his public debute, dealing with the military, and the introduction of Zod and Faora just feels like way to much for an origin film.

#7 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Because its been done before, same with Lex.
#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it breaks tradition! There must always be a...*lightning crack* Lex Luthor.

#9 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:

Because it breaks tradition! There must always be a...*lightning crack* Lex Luthor.

F*ck that! LOL
 
Give us Darkseid, Bizarro, Mongul, Parasite, Ultraman, Silver Banshee, Cyborg Superman, Doomsday, Gog, Metallo, and more importantly...BRAINIAC!
#10 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope the film is good.

#11 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_:

A Death of Superman movie would give me a huge nerdgasm. Uncontrolled and wild.

#12 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Zod is a fantastic Villain there's no denying it but it has been done before, and no offense to people who love Stamp's portrayal but I have trouble taking it seriously, I crack up every time I hear "Planet Huuston." But I also don't want to see Luthor again because although he's a great villain, he's been seen in every movie. I do think it would be cool to see somebody like Brainiac or Parasite, because they are formidable villains.

#13 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Because its been done before, same with Lex.
#14 Posted by GunGunW (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's the start of the series, I feel like they should at least introduce Lex Luthor in it Also, as people have said Parasite or Brainiac would be more than welcome additions

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

#16 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

Well you'd need a voice actor or something...

#17 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

Well you'd need a voice actor or something...

Unless the movie is being produced by Chris Nolans and he decided to make it a secret. Besides, he might only have one or two scenes where he is talking.

#18 Posted by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

Using Zod sort of parallels using Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins. I like that decision.

#19 Posted by Cap10nate (2453 posts) - - Show Bio

I like using Zod because it would be nice to see them fight using modern graphics. The Supes 2 Zod was good but the fights were pretty blah from todays standards. I'm looking forward to it.

#20 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@Suprman said:

Zod is a fantastic Villain there's no denying it but it has been done before, and no offense to people who love Stamp's portrayal but I have trouble taking it seriously, I crack up every time I hear "Planet Huuston." But I also don't want to see Luthor again because although he's a great villain, he's been seen in every movie. I do think it would be cool to see somebody like Brainiac or Parasite, because they are formidable villains.

I agree with what you're saying. Personally I would love to finally get a live action Bizarro that ACTUALLY LOOKS like Bizarro chalk white messed up skin, purple and blue costume with the backwards S-shield, "Bizarro #1" necklace and all.

When I first heard that Superman wouldn't be the only "Man of Steel" in the movie, my mind went straight to Bizarro. Then I realized the odds of that happening in a first movie would be slim to none for a first movie.

As far as Zod goes I agree I don't think he's the BEST choice since he's not even a classic comic villain. Sure he came into the comics later, but he's a movie villain first. I like him, but give me Bizarro, Brainiac, Metallo any day.

#21 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

It shoulda been Metallo or Cyborg Superman.

#22 Posted by Frozen (14340 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not. I'd have him over Lex any day of the week. The problem with Lex, is that we don't get much action out of him.

#23 Posted by LexLuthor (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Problem is, outside of the Smallville show, Lex hasn't been exactly used in a satisfactory way that would make one think is an outstanding interpretation of the character. No. We continue to get the one-note 'land swindler' Lex. Which is pretty mediocre compared to what we've seen in the comics, and animated efforts where he's portrayed as a much more competent, and serious villain.

#24 Edited by Wolfrazer (7172 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmashBrawler said:

Beacuse he's overused. Zod already appeared in Superman I & II. The only two Superman villains people know of are Lex and Zod. A lot of people were hoping for Brainiac's live action debut.

That said, Zod and the rest are a fine choice, especially after reading the description of a supposed fight between Supes and Faora.

How is only appearing in Superman 1(well only appearing shortly) and 2 overused?  Unless your also lumping the movies in with comics and all that other stuff he has appeared in.
#25 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@Suprman said:

Zod is a fantastic Villain there's no denying it but it has been done before, and no offense to people who love Stamp's portrayal but I have trouble taking it seriously, I crack up every time I hear "Planet Huuston." But I also don't want to see Luthor again because although he's a great villain, he's been seen in every movie. I do think it would be cool to see somebody like Brainiac or Parasite, because they are formidable villains.

I agree with what you're saying. Personally I would love to finally get a live action Bizarro that ACTUALLY LOOKS like Bizarro chalk white messed up skin, purple and blue costume with the backwards S-shield, "Bizarro #1" necklace and all.

When I first heard that Superman wouldn't be the only "Man of Steel" in the movie, my mind went straight to Bizarro. Then I realized the odds of that happening in a first movie would be slim to none for a first movie.

As far as Zod goes I agree I don't think he's the BEST choice since he's not even a classic comic villain. Sure he came into the comics later, but he's a movie villain first. I like him, but give me Bizarro, Brainiac, Metallo any day.

Isn't Metallo more of a single-fight villain, his stories aren't always global-scale

#26 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@PurpleCandy: I was just using him as an example. I never really found him that compelling of a villain, but he's able to give Superman a hard fight which would be great to see on screen. I don't DISLIKE Zod, he's actually one of my favorite Superman villains, it's just that with all the other choices of great comic villains to choose from and the fact I think Terence Stamp is like Bruce Campbell in the fact no one else can play Zod like him, just as no one can play Ash Williams like Bruce Campbell. Seriously how can you beat this?

#27 Posted by SmashBrawler (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Beacuse he's overused. Zod already appeared in Superman I & II. The only two Superman villains people know of are Lex and Zod. A lot of people were hoping for Brainiac's live action debut.

That said, Zod and the rest are a fine choice, especially after reading the description of a supposed fight between Supes and Faora.

How is only appearing in Superman 1(well only appearing shortly) and 2 overused? Unless your also lumping the movies in with comics and all that other stuff he has appeared in.

Being the villain in two movies is overused to me, especially with a character like Superman, whose only movie villains have been:

  • Lex Luthor
  • Zod, Ursa and Non
  • Some crappy Luthor rip-off
  • Nuclear Fart

I don't have that problem with Batman, because he's had a big portion of his rogues gallery adapted into the silver screen (whether they were well adaptated or not is not important). So, Superman has only two well-known villains: Luthor and Zod. I have problems with both of these being the main villain of a Superman reboot, because this limits public knowledge about Supes and his own rogues gallery

#28 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Exactly!!!! Like I said, I like Zod a lot, but I don't agree with the decision to make him the villain of Man of Steel. If they wanted a villain that could be tied to Krypton AND give Supes a good fight then why not Brainiac? Heck throw in Metallo and they could do a live action version of Morrison's New 52 Action Comics run!!

#29 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

Well you'd need a voice actor or something...

Unless the movie is being produced by Chris Nolans and he decided to make it a secret. Besides, he might only have one or two scenes where he is talking.

LOL Braniac Al Ghul

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

Well you'd need a voice actor or something...

Truth be told, there is a higher ratio of talented voice actors to screen actors, who'd take less money for the role too. A CGI Braniac would workout

#30 Posted by TheCannon (19008 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm annoyed because we already saw him in Superman II. Give someone like Brainiac time to shine.

#31 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@sethysquare said:

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

Well you'd need a voice actor or something...

Unless the movie is being produced by Chris Nolans and he decided to make it a secret. Besides, he might only have one or two scenes where he is talking.

LOL Braniac Al Ghul

@AtPhantom said:

@sethysquare said:

Brainiac could've been in the movie. No one said he wouldn't be in it. Its not like you need an actor to be Brainiac.

Well you'd need a voice actor or something...

Truth be told, there is a higher ratio of talented voice actors to screen actors, who'd take less money for the role too. A CGI Braniac would workout

LOL yeah. Brianiac is supposed to be CGI. Theres no other way to do it.

#32 Posted by Zoch81 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

it should of been Brianiac or Doomsday!

#33 Posted by Ms. Omega (4505 posts) - - Show Bio

Just glad to see a Superman movie where we finally get an all out brawl with a super villain so tired of the main villain being Lex all the time in the movies.

#34 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind it but I agree with those saying they would've preferred someone new.

#35 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zoch81 said:

it should of been Brianiac or Doomsday!

I dont think Doomsday would be the best villlian for an origin movie.

#36 Posted by Zoch81 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: Maybe not but still be badass fight see two fight out on the big screen I guess anything better then Lex been in how many movies.

#37 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman has so many good villains and they're going to recycle a villain who's already been in the old Superman movies...

#38 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@soduh2 said:

Using Zod sort of parallels using Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins. I like that decision.

Me too.

Plus, right off the bat, we get a physical challenge. That's something you can't get with Lex and, unless they go in another direction, Brainiac.

All I want it a new Superman movie where he'll get to hit something that isn't a stupid kryptonite mountain. If it's gotta be with a villain that's already been used, so be it.

Also, whether people like it or not, Luthor is just as important as the Kents, Lois, and Metropolis are to the Superman Mythos. He needs to appear somewhere in the franchise, main villain or not.

#39 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Been done

#40 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

@soduh2 said:

Using Zod sort of parallels using Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins. I like that decision.

your right it does a bit

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.