Who Should Be The Next Superman Villain?

• 58 results
Posted by G-Man (34324 posts) - - Show Bio
"Superman Returns" had problems.  It wasn't horrible.  It wasn't Superman IV: The Quest For Peace.  I like Kevin Spacey but I'm a little tired of Lex.  Latino Review is reporting that a source has told them Warner Bros. is taking ideas from writers as to who the next villain should be.  It's not clear whether or not Lex Luthor would even play a role in the next movie.

I have to say I hope this is true.  Yes Lex is Superman's arch enemy but let's see someone new.  I'd rather not see DoomsdayZod?  We've seen him already too.  Brainiac could be a contender with his recent attack and being the cause of Jonathan's death (even though he's already dead in the movies).  But then we could also see Kandor.  I just think Brainiac might come off as a little hokey.

Who knows when a movie will even start production.  I'm just glad that the possibility of a different Superman Villain exists.

Who would you like to see in a Superman movie?
Staff
#1 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Welcome to the big leagues
#3 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

if they're going to use braniac then they should make him similar to the version in the animated series and the justice league cartoons but i really think they should use doomsday and i think they should let kevin smith write it

#4 Posted by RedGhostman (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Braniac would be a good one. What superman needs right now is something that shows that he's got balls. Without the powers, he'd be useless. I want to see him tear it up against someone that he hates and wants to destroy, conflicting with his rational thoughts. Doing this would damper on his american image and the way the public sees him as a good guy, but that would show at least some humanity in the guy. I mean, shit, all I get is this stoic guy getting his ass kicked all the time because of a little "kryptonite." Think its a head problem? What I mean is that both comics and film need a huge threat. No crisis. No kryptonite. Just like Rocky 4. A bloody beat-down. It will get much worse before it gets any better type of situation. Like the Dark Knight, only one hour shorter. 

#5 Posted by The Wondering Spider (1575 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"if they're going to use braniac then they should make him similar to the version in the animated series and the justice league cartoons but i really think they should use doomsday and i think they should let kevin smith write it"
I don't agree, because Doomsday was created to kill sups and if he is beaten in the movie and sups simply gets up like nothing happen I'm going to be so mad :P

I think they should use Brainiac :D

BTW even If I didn't like the movie I did like Lex's evil things that he did, not the Kryptonite island, but wearing a wig and fool that old woman into giving him the fortune then signing the papers and giving the wig to the kid, that was hilarious, very Luthorize XD
#6 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how you could call Superman Returns better than horrible, dude.

It made the greatest superhero of all time into a deadbeat dad.

#7 Posted by Fresh Prince (5148 posts) - - Show Bio
Lobo
#8 Posted by Matches (224 posts) - - Show Bio

No more luthor, I am sick of luthor. Luthor this and luthor that! over it. They should remake Superman II from 1980, same characters, similar plot with less luvy dubby s*#t and have the three kryptonians played by B+ class hollywood actors.

#9 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid

#10 Posted by mrjoshua (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I am for Luthor all the way. People say they are tired of Luthor but I don't think we had a great Live Action Luthor. We've had two great Jokers and two okay Luthors. Gene Hackman was good but a little too tongue in cheek. Kevin Spacey was great casting but they made him a bitter, hate-filled jerk and gave him nothing to really outstanding to do.  I would love to see a live action Luthor like the one from Justice League Unlimited. Now that's a great Luthor. Give me one great Luthor and then you can have whatever other villain you want. My second choice would be Brainiac. I think he would be great. 

#11 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

I say press the magic button and star over.

I really, really wanted to see either a movie of Superman Birthright or the All-Star Superman.  - Or maybe start in the first, and then do the second one.

#12 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34406 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see Brainiac in the movies...or maybe Mongul or Darkseid. Doomsday for a later movie.

#13 Posted by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my list of all villains i want see in the movie's.

#14 Posted by mrenb (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, but Superman Returns made me say "WTF?!"  I mean, Singer reportedly was enamored with Superman and wanted to do the character justice, but the script, the acting, the weird, weird "story"....Supes has a kid and went to Krypton and was absent 10 years?? ...again, WTF?  Oh, and Cyclops as Lois' lover and step-daddy?  O.K.,  I am just pointing out I can't remotely agree with your assertion this movie had any type of redeeming qualities.   I agree with Calvin, push the magic button and start over.  IT HAPPENED WITH BATMAN!!!  Why not? 

To the point (finally), I would vote for Metallo. Parasite,  and/or Mongul. Nightfang gave a GREAT list.  Give Superman a villain or two who he can knock around, provide some kick-ass fight scenes instead of him just saving planes, trains, and automobiles.  Like that one?  I did. 

Remember Superman II?  The fight scenes between Zod and his minions vs. Superman?  Classic stuff, even if the FX appear outdated today. 

Am I wrong, but aren't some kick-ass, no holds barred, jaw-dropping fight scenes with super heroes, especially Superman, what most fans want and have been longing for? 

These villains would be able to provide that for Superman.  

#15 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
I am tired of Lex Luthor... that bastard has had too many shots in Superman Films... lets move on to Brainiac or Metallo or Bizarro... someone who will actually give us an Awesome Action Scene at the end of the Movie... Lex cannot provide that...
#16 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all for hitting the reset button Superman Returns was straight up ridiculous.

I wouldnt mind seeing Bizzaro in the next film. Not the hooky one from Superfriends either. But the one who choked out Wonder Woman, or the scary as hell one from "Justice."

#17 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
NightFang said:
"This is my list of all villains i want see in the movie's.

1. Lex Luthor
2. the Parasite
3. Metallo
4. the Toyman
5. Livewire
6. Lobo
7. Morgan Edge, Bruno Mannheim & Intergang
8. Mr. Mxyzptlk
9. the Kryptonite Man
10. Maxima
11. Bizarro
12. Brainiac
13. Eradicator
14. Doomsday
15. Darkseid (And all the other New Gods form both Apokolips & New Genesis.)
16. General Zod & his wife Faora
17. Equus
18. Preus
19. All the Phantom Zone Criminals
20. the Superman Revenge Squad
21. Mongul
22. Cyborg Superman
23. Imperiex
"

Metallo, Parasite, Imperiex, Toyman, Really?
#18 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
NO... not Toyman  !

lol
#19 Posted by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"NightFang said:
"This is my list of all villains i want see in the movie's.

1. Lex Luthor
2. the Parasite
3. Metallo
4. the Toyman
5. Livewire
6. Lobo
7. Morgan Edge, Bruno Mannheim & Intergang
8. Mr. Mxyzptlk
9. the Kryptonite Man
10. Maxima
11. Bizarro
12. Brainiac
13. Eradicator
14. Doomsday
15. Darkseid (And all the other New Gods form both Apokolips & New Genesis.)
16. General Zod & his wife Faora
17. Equus
18. Preus
19. All the Phantom Zone Criminals
20. the Superman Revenge Squad
21. Mongul
22. Cyborg Superman
23. Imperiex
"

Metallo, Parasite, Imperiex, Toyman, Really?"
             Yes, really 
             1. Make the Toyman a Pedophilia and child murder with killer Toys.
              2. Metallo & Parasite are c
#20 Posted by Nighthunter Earth-1974 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

That Batman reached success by being dark doesn't mean Superman should do the same

They are almost complete opposites

caption
#21 Posted by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter Earth-1974 said:
"That Batman reached success by being dark doesn't mean Superman should do the same

caption
"
             Look what happen with Superman & Doomsday that was pretty dark.
#22 Posted by deathswitch (475 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly ill go watch it which ever villain they have

but i would loooooooove to see doomsday
#23 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
NightFang said:
"Nighthunter Earth-1974 said:
"That Batman reached success by being dark doesn't mean Superman should do the same

caption
"
             Look what happen with Superman & Doomsday that was pretty dark."
I don't consider it dark
#24 Posted by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio
deathswitch said:
"honestly ill go watch it which ever villain they have
but i would loooooooove to see doomsday
"
            I agree, i wan't them all in one big movie.
#25 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should save Doomsday for a later movie. Maybe like a sequel where Superman is the sh*t and nothing can touch him and suddenly... DOOMSDAY! DUM-DUM-DUM-DUMMMM!!!!

They could do well with Brainiac. If they do him properly, then really well actually. I wouldn't mind seeing Darkseid either. Just not Lex.

#26 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's having a super-bastard storyline was expected, and sorry.  Lois Lane's character should be replaced.  I can't believe both Cyclops, and the creator of the X-Men films left to do this 3 hour piece of sh!t.  The movie was full of corny moments, and the worst (as I stated before) was "The Passion of the Supes".  It was a mope story.  Woe is me!  Lois doesn't love me.  Oh no!  She has a child with this man whom I envy so!  My poor old Super-heart!

3 hours of nothing.  And the costume.........hip-huggers much?  And BTW, some things should stay in the comics.  Like Superman's hairstyle.  I saw that curl move several times in this atrocity.  Heavens that outift was terrible.  He looked like he bought it at Wal*Mart.  His granny panties were so freakin tight, that the thing that made Superman Jr. was shown every once in a while.  I mean seriously, the man wasn't even built like superman.  He looked so damn scrawny with that cape. 

#27 Posted by Superman CK (1 posts) - - Show Bio
Superman needs a new villain, a villain that will put his powers, conscious and decisions to the test...This villain would probably even be a contender for The Hulk..And this villain would have to be.....All-American Boy..Who was a young boy from Kansas (just as superman is) that enlisted in the U.S. Army. He was selected without his knowledge to be a new Doomsday.  So far his only weakness seems to be the voice of his parents.
#28 Edited by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Braniac would be my first choice, although I think Lex should feel like he is present. I wouldn't mind a cameo appearance from the Main Man, maybe in the opening action sequence.

#29 Posted by RedGhostman (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's too late to make things better with the way it went in the last one. It's too late to start over, and too soon to switch cast. They'll have to make another movie off of the other one and it'll be hard to become interested in because of it. 

#30 Posted by greenarrow12 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

i would really like to see ether brainiac or doomsday

#31 Posted by Skellex (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Smallville covered them all Lol. I don't think they should do a villain that was in Smallville. Unless..it's either Bizarro or Doomsday...Doomsday in Season 8 looks really bad.

#32 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
Skellex said:
"I think Smallville covered them all Lol. I don't think they should do a villain that was in Smallville. Unless..it's either Bizarro or Doomsday...Doomsday in Season 8 looks really bad."
YES HE DOES
#33 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's foes are kind of lame for a film. I'd rather see a issue being taken on. How would He have handled an invding army. or the like.

#34 Posted by Iron Doom (864 posts) - - Show Bio
U guys better make him look good in the movie or ELSE!!!!
YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!
Destroy the Kryptonian!!!!
#35 Posted by Ice. (70 posts) - - Show Bio

I want doomsday.

#36 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"I'm all for hitting the reset button Superman Returns was straight up ridiculous.

I wouldnt mind seeing Bizzaro in the next film. Not the hooky one from Superfriends either. But the one who choked out Wonder Woman, or the scary as hell one from "Justice.""
Yeah, I agree there.

Or put a few villains in it. Bizzaro, Mongul. Consider these alien villains, you could involve War-World or Bizzaro World. A Blue suns to show new powers. :)

But all in all, get Geoff Johns to write it. I won't care about the villain then. I will trust him.
#37 Posted by Skellex (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Although..They did do a Superman film with Doomsday. It was a cartoon movie, but it was still ok.

#38 Edited by ZORN (1605 posts) - - Show Bio
Brainiac  or Darkseid.
#39 Posted by Fresh Prince (5148 posts) - - Show Bio
Lobo

Doomsday

Cyborg Superman
#40 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

a good depiction of Lex

Brainiac

Superman - Prime

#41 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw Lex. He's been in the last one.

#42 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but that lex sucked, i know people of seeing him, but a good one might change that

#43 Posted by mrjoshua (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone will agree Batman had two great Jokers. However, Superman has had two okay Luthors. I'm sure if they said every Batman movie will feature the Joker no one will have a big problem with that unless the Joker gets boring--but when is the Joker ever boring? The problem is there hasn't been a great Luthor and there should be. There is a reason he is Superman's number one foe. He gives Superman balance. It's Brawn versus Brains. I would love to see Brainiac and Darkseid in a live action movie but I think first give us a great Luthor--one we deserve. Or lets settle with a compromise and have Lex team up with another villain. But of course Lex would have a problem sharing the spotlight with some one else.

#44 Posted by The Wind-Stalker (64 posts) - - Show Bio

wait a min don't count out lex as a villain i know he was in the last one but that don't mean to put him out of the movie superman needs lex i think lex makes the movie fun to watch and i would like to see darkseid as the next villain

#45 Edited by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I would like to see Doomsday, Darkseid, Grundy, Mongul,  Bizzaro , Brainac ,or The Parasite
 in the next movie with Lex Lurther to try to kill Superman.

Doomsday could be an alein guy with red eyes who was selected by Lex to
become a powerful soldier,but something could go wrong and he becomes
a powerful  monster who wants to kill superman and kill anyone who tries to
stop him from destroying the whole planet.

Darkseid could team up with Lex to destroy Superman and tries to be the new ruler
of Eart or be it's destroyer.

Solomon Grundy  could be a villain who heard about Superman
and wanted to challenge him to a fight to the death.

Mongul could challenge Superman to
War World and try to destroy planet Earth.

Bizarro could be an clone of Superman who thinks he
should be the man of steel not Superman. Bizarro could try
to kill  Superman so he could be the new hero of metrapolis.

Brainiac could work with Lex to come up with a plan
to get rid of Superman once and for all.

Parasite could be a creature that was created at
Star Lab who became a villain. He wanted to have
Superman's powers so noone could stop him
from destroying the city and take over the world.

One of these villains should be in the next movie with a  good actor. I really want to see Darkseid, because he could give Superman a good battle such like The Abomination gave The Hulk a good battle in
The Incredible Hulk Movie, because it is about  time Superman get a good battle with someone is such as
strong as he is.

#46 Edited by Angelo Gagliano (3 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my list of all villains i want see in the movie's.

1. The Parasite
2. Metallo
3. Maxima
4. Bizarro
5. Brainiac
6. Darkseid (And all the other New Gods form both Apokolips & New Genesis.)
7. General Zod & his wife Faora
8. All the Phantom Zone Criminals

#47 Posted by Rod12 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

There is only real true Superman villian that we haven't see done on the big screen and that is Brianiac he should be the next big Superman Movie villian. Zod, Doomsday and maybe even Darkseid are other good choices as well. But Lex Luther is a great Superman Villian and he's been done well by 3 Great Actors Michael Rosenbaum, Kevin Spacey, and Gene Hackman but lets see a different villian in a Superman Movie and take a break from Lex Luther.

1. Brainiac
  2. Zod
  3. Doomsday
#48 Posted by jorgeareizaga (301 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Returns was an absoulte and unforgetable movie, the oninteresting and good of the movie was the scene when Luthor did stab and humiliate Superman, I really could feel the inmense hatred, so for the next movieno matters what villians will be as long as he hates a lot Superman

It´won´t be hard, Superman has many, many, many enemies that hate him deeply.Gog really loathes him, he would b great!

#49 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg Supes

#50 Edited by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor is overexposed, he's been in four out of the five Superman films. I know there are some people saying that Lex should be in a Superman film where his characterization is more credible and I agree but I don't think it should be anytime soon. I honestly believe one of the reasons why the Joker was so anticipated in the Dark Knight was because he was given a much needed rest beforehand, if he had been in Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin and skipped Batman Begins only to reappear in the Dark Knight I doubt it would have mattered as much because it would still be the same old cycle. I think one of the reasons why the Superman rogue's gallery is not in as good shape as the Batman rogue's gallery mostly rest on Lex being so overused that it would give off the impression that (aside from General Zod, who only appeared once) there's no one else to challenge Superman. On film, Batman has faced the Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler, Two-Face, Bane, Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Carmine Falcone, Scarecrow, Zsasz, Ra's Al Ghul and Two-Face whereas Superman has faced Lex Luthor, General Zod and Nuclear Man and that's it. That's not fair because Superman has a long list of villains to choose from in his gallery.

Superman doesn't need Lex just like Batman didn't need the Joker. What Superman needs is variety in regards to adversaries, he needs someone who brings something relatively new to the scene. The most obvious villain to work with is Brainiac, he is notably Superman's second greatest foe and he is a combination of brain and brawn, he can challenge Superman on a level that surpass Lex Luthor. Instead of relying on kryptonite for the thousandth time, Brainiac can unleash an army of deadly androids on Earth, he can use his battle ship to test Superman's powers to the maximum and he can pose as a threat across the globe as oppose to just Metropolis. Brainiac can easily give forth that "end of the world" vibe that illustrates why Superman is needed in the world. Brainiac doesn't need Lex Luthor, he is more than capable of dealing with Superman on his own. If Lex were present, he would try and get all of the attention by betraying Brainiac at the eleventh order in fear that Brainiac would do the one thing he's never been able to do and that is beat Superman. I bet Brainiac would be able to get more attention for the movie as the main villain than a Lex Luthor in any form because it's time for something different.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.