Who Is The 'New 52's' All-New Oracle?

• 71 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

On the final page of SUPERMAN #15, on the bottom right hand corner there is a teaser for what is in store next for Superman. In very few words, Superman will come face to face with "the cosmic entity known as The Oracle." I don't know about you, but after reading that, two things came to my mind. First, the all-knowing, omnipotent being known as Brainiac. Brainiac has been considered one of the most intelligent cosmic beings in the DC Universe, and has always boasted about his, or its, omnipotence. The next thing that came to mind was the name of this "cosmic entity." To us, the name "Oracle" was an obvious nod to Barbara Gordon's former identity. Prior to the 'New 52' Gordon took on the moniker "Oracle" and was considered the ultimate information broker of the DC Universe. So are either of these two characters related to this "all-new Oracle"?

SUPERMAN #17

After looking through past issues of SUPERMAN and BATGIRL, we're inclined inclined to think that this all-new Oracle is neither Barbara Gordon nor Brainiac, nor do we think it has a connection to either of these two characters. We even caught up with Scott Lobdell, the current SUPERMAN writer to try to get him to talk. And he did, sort of.

Comic Vine: In the solicit for SUPERMAN # 17 Superman and his 'family' will face off against an "all-new Oracle." Can you tell us anything about this Oracle?

Scott Lobdell: Hmmm... "face off" might be a bit off. The truth is Oracle is such a cosmically powered entity that he/she could probably obliterate an entire solar system with a sideways glance! Fortunately for Superman, Supergirl and Everyone on Earth... Oracle has a higher calling than to slug it out with anyone.

== TEASER ==

Oracle is someone who can see the past, the present and the future all at once. Now, you and I would find that pretty disorienting just trying to do about our day. But Oracle is a cosmic entity, so multiply whatever you're thinking by a few infinities... it is any wonder he/she has a hard time relating to us humans (or Kryptonians as in the case of Kal, Kara and H'El.)

Most of the time Oracle does this from the farthest reaches of time and space... but when something of reality-altering important is about to happen, he/she is summoned by one of the countless Heralds throughout the universe. So in short, if you ever see an Oracle? It is not a good thing.

Comic Vine: it have any relation to Brainiac?

Scott Lobdell: Not that I'm aware of. I can't say for sure but I think the an Oracle predates a Brianiac by eternity. (Give or take a few decades.)

Comic Vine: Anything else you can tell us about the concept, where you got the idea for it, etc.?

Scott Lobdell: I can tell you I am excited about having a cosmic character to play with in SUPERMAN (And the larger DC as a whole)! One of the best things about SUPERMAN is that he is a character that lends himself to almost any story imaginable! Alternate realities, time travel, strange new worlds and ancient civilizations, super science villains or cloned warriors from a parallel dimension...? Everything is on the table with a Superman story! So to be able to have Superman find himself involved in something as awe-inspiring as the crisis that calls Oracle to Earth? I'm already having more fun than is legally acceptable by the law!

SUPERMAN #0

Lobdell is clearly excited about what he's doing on SUPERMAN and although he managed to be relatively vague in regards to who this Oracle character is, he does clear up a few things for us. First, he confirms that to his knowledge there is no connection between The Oracle and Brainiac -- at least for now. Next he draws the focus to this character's powers and its ability to see past, present and future all at once. He goes on to imply that this "Oracle" has the cosmic powers of a God and that if you do see an Oracle "it's not a good thing."

Looking back at previous issues we recalled a moment where the Oracle was first mentioned in Lobdell's SUPERMAN series, specifically in issue #0. You might not remember it (or perhaps you do), but the Oracle was mentioned in passing; much in the same way that it was referenced in SUPERMAN #15. In the #0 issue on the very last page a "herald dies having honored his Master." The Master being The Oracle. Does this sound a little bit like the relationship between the Silver Surfer and Galactus?

BATGIRL #1

This discussion did make us curious as to why DC editorial and Scott Lobdell chose to call this new character "Oracle." When we first saw the reference made to the character we immediately thought of Barbara Gordon, the character who previously held the name. Now that the universe has seen a reboot, it is unclear whether the three years which Barbara spent in a wheelchair after being shot by the Joker were also spent as Oracle. So was she ever Oracle or wasn't she? Although the series' writer Gail Simone has referenced Barbara's years out of the Batgirl costume in the current BATGIRL series, she hasn't really delved much into it. There hasn't been any mention of Barbara's years as Oracle, and something tells us that by naming this new "cosmic entity" 'The Oracle,' DC has hit the proverbial head on the nail of the Barbara Gordon aka Oracle coffin.

What do you think? Do you think Barbara Gordon was ever Oracle? Do you think this new Oracle character has any connection to Brainiac, or is it a completely new concept? Are you looking forward to seeing what happens between Superman and The Oracle in issue #17 of SUPERMAN?

#1 Posted by maffrew (10 posts) - - Show Bio

So Oracle is Galactus?

#2 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait to find out. What ever this oracle is lobdell will have something epic up is sleve

#3 Posted by The Stegman (23048 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't understand why people think it has any thing to do with Babs, especially after we received more info that it was more of a cosmic entity, it's not really that uncommon for two characters to share a name, after all, the title of "Oracle" can be defined as a sort of Prophet, it could be many things. To me, it seems like it's just Babs-Oracle fans holding on to a bit of wishful thinking.

#4 Edited by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dont understand this article, what would this have anything at all to do with barbara

just because she was a much much better character before that was named Oracle, but she nor then nor now had any connections with the space

it is just a random creature named Oracle here

BTW that picture is not from Batgirl #0

#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think this thing has anything (aside the name) to do with Barbara Gordon.

#6 Posted by InkInk (172 posts) - - Show Bio

@maffrew said:

So Oracle is Galactus?

It seems that way, this is why Lobdell should not be aloud to write one of DC's biggest characters. I mean for all the hype he had going into the Superman book it sure has fizzled out. So far H'el on earth has been terrible and I do not see his run getting any better.

#7 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

So this cosmic entity....is somehow related to Babs is what your telling me?

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32705 posts) - - Show Bio

cloned alt dimension warriors? .... H'el?

#9 Posted by Outside_85 (8128 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly no, I don't think Barbara was ever Oracle, the time frame just seems too short to allow it.

I don't think Brainiac has anything to do with this new Oracle either on the ground of, he's only been handled by Morrison, so far and that Brainiac is self-serving by simply following it's programming.

All that said this new Oracle seem to be a bit of a blend of Galactus (Heralds) and the Living Tribunal if he have to go by Marvel. But giving that this thing comes the edge of space and whatnot...why does it take an old Greek term as a name?

#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92551 posts) - - Show Bio

I was about to RANT.

Moderator Online
#11 Posted by Superbat420 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

What a way to bite off marvel

#12 Posted by TheMultiverse (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is already OP. Now he's going to have a god that can see the future in his bag? (joking). This is pretty cool. God characters interacting with Heroes always is.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

For some time DC had two Nightwings!

Dick Grayson and Power Girl (in Supergirl : Kandor)! So i dont think that is any different!

two characters, same name but no connection.

#14 Posted by ccraft (5045 posts) - - Show Bio

Only way Barbara will become oracle again is to have her quit being Batgirl. You can't have her get crippled again.

#15 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there SHOULD be an information broker for superheroes in the New 52. Whether, it'll be Barbara Gordon or someone else is up to DC. But there really should be!

#16 Posted by snootchie_bootchies (131 posts) - - Show Bio

So...wait...if Babs was never Oracle...was she even shot? Or are they gonna retcon The Killing Joke out of continuity too?

#17 Posted by Icon (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

For some time DC had two Nightwings!

Dick Grayson and Power Girl (in Supergirl : Kandor)! So i dont think that is any different!

two characters, same name but no connection.

Exactly. One has nothing to do with the other.

I get that the writer of this article was an Oracle (Gordon) fan, but to take "The Oracle" coming soon in Superman and make it an article about a former Batman character is a bit of a stretch...

#18 Posted by The Stegman (23048 posts) - - Show Bio
 @snootchie_bootchies said:

So...wait...if Babs was never Oracle...was she even shot? Or are they gonna retcon The Killing Joke out of continuity too?

She was shot, Killing Joke is still canon, she was also in a wheelchair, however she was only in it for about a year or so before recovering and becoming Batgirl again.
#19 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad I dropped this title. It gets worse an worse.

#20 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8871 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be cool to see an Oracle in the New 52

#21 Posted by knightofthechronicle (642 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more interested as to why Veritas is there in Oracle's hand.

#22 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Bummer.

Lobdell loves to mess with us pre-52 bat fans.

#23 Posted by dondave (34429 posts) - - Show Bio

Look's Alright

#24 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Oracle is Captain Atom's brother or maybe it is Dr Manhattan.

#25 Posted by RoninAutomaton (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's a new version of The Monitor(s), from the DC Crisis stories. btw - The Marvel U has The Watchers.

#26 Edited by mrpandopool (63 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically Oracle is the Watcher wit the powers of galactus sort of?

#27 Posted by the creator (8560 posts) - - Show Bio

Strange that his physical form resembles a sword.

#28 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

This has about as much to do with Barbra Gordon as the Gorton's Fisherman. Oracle was a code name for her it's not like it can't be used again in some other capacity.

#29 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

@snootchie_bootchies said:

No. The Killing Joke is still in continuity. She was paralyzed for a time, she was just never Oracle.

#30 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

I might have to pick this up.

#31 Posted by deadpool25mm (577 posts) - - Show Bio

@maffrew said:

So Oracle is Galactus?

#32 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Oracle has been a title and name used for a maner of people in fiction and mythology so that the use of it for multiple characters is not new. As to whether babs undertook an oracle identity during her 3 years in the chair, as a fan or Barbra as Oracle i do hope so as personally i though that her as Oracle (in the imaginarry ranking system of super-heroes) outranked dick as Nightwing AND his tennure as Batman (Dick moved operations out of the cave, Babs moved in. Symbolism of whos really in charge of the bat-family when bruce isnt there, i think so.... Alfrid is void in this argument as he's always in charge) but the time frame set by DC for this reboot (a time frame which i still hate btw... please fix it soon) makes it seem unlikely, or if so in a more waterd down version. As for the Braniac thought of it, well i'm saying that we've yet to see him in the universe. Sure Morrisions arc in Action comics pretty much said "look, look braniac!" but they still refer to that guy as "the collector" and the reference to Braniac was as an intelligence operating the information systems of Colu, so i doubt we've seen his true form yet in the new 52 and what we'll probably get is a re-telling of Geoff Johns "Superman: Braniac" (Hell eneven LoSH #0 showed a dome on colu that belonged to the first braniac, and inside it were other biological/cybernetical creatures simular to the collector).

#33 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

At least this new character that shares a name with a pre 52 character isn't pretending to be anyone that it's not.

#34 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (335 posts) - - Show Bio

This Oracle might have a connection to Brainiac but I'm more inclined to think it's something entirely new. Anyway, I'm keen to find out, really enjoying the work of the Lobdell/Rocafort creative team.

#35 Posted by impossibilly (884 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrpandopool said:

So basically Oracle is the Watcher wit the powers of galactus sort of?

I had the exact same thought.

#36 Posted by sentryman555 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

So is H'el teaming up with Superman and them on that cover? I can't really tell if he's looking at the oracle thing or Supergirl. Doesn't that give away how the story is gonna go?

#37 Posted by SupremePro (7 posts) - - Show Bio

We got a DC Galactus now....

#38 Posted by MizariSeth (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: Three years.

I don't think this have something to do with Babs...

#39 Posted by Mr_Athrilla (82 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell is everybody complaining about? The original Oracle didn't have the use of her legs, and from the looks of neither does this new one. Thank you DC for adding some much needed diversity to your universe.

#40 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

I really dont understand this article, what would this have anything at all to do with barbara

just because she was a much much better character before that was named Oracle, but she nor then nor now had any connections with the space

Thats why it says, "Batgirl #1 in the caption ;) Issue 0 is referring to Superman chief.

#41 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a new concept and I don't think it will prevent DC from making Barbara the Oracle again if they ever choose to. There have been plenty characters with similar names, so it won't stop DC.

#42 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Its gotta be Krypto right? Maybe Lobdell will make a nod to Pixar's movie "UP" and have Krypto talking to Superman constantly of his doggy issues. Now that's a twist!

#43 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Thats why it says, "Batgirl #1 in the caption ;) Issue 0 is referring to Superman chief.

It says it now cause Babs edited the caption, it said Batgirl 0 before

#44 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@Quintus_Knightfall said:

@arnoldoaad said:

It says it now cause Babs edited the caption, it said Batgirl 0 before

Not to continue a pointless argument but normally when a post is edited (even by Staff) its says, "Edited" and then the time it was edited at. Jus sayin.

#45 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall: It said Batgirl 0, i pointed out and was edited

thats is all

#46 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Just another reason why I'm getting very, VERY impatient with New 52's decisions :/ I mean it sounds like a nice idea but come on, the Galactus/Heralds parallel is just too darn uncanny in my opinion.

#47 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

I would just like to take a moment to point out this:

The Oracle a Cosmic Entity
Unit a... Cosmic Entity!

Just sayin'!

#48 Posted by derf_jenkins (360 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think that Harper Row will end up playing the "Oracle" type role in the bat family books.

#49 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred probably has a lot of time to communicate with everyone. As for the new Galactus clone from dc, maybe the new Oracle will break like an egg like Imperiex.

#50 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superbat420 said:

What a way to bite off marvel

not really, just because oracle is a godly cosmic entity doesn't mean dc ripped offmarvel, besides if you want to throw that card around I can easily bring up Sentry=Superman biteoff. Black Panther, Iron Man=Batman ripoffs...Spiderman shirt rip obviously Superman nod there...LT=Spectre bitoff, Gladiator=another Superman biteoff...Quick Silver=Flash biteoff...shall i go on?

Besides, dc came out long before marvel...in fact stan lee admits in varous interviews his inspiration was the JL.A

i also fail to see how Oracle is anything like Galactus, outside of being a cosmic entity...really? seriously some people judge things on here based on near to little/no knowledge. For one, oracle's powers if anything sound more powerful then Galactus's from the interview, doesn't need planets to eat to surive apparently and if anything is similar to Dr. manhattan with the past, present and future element. Plus, thre's no confirmation that oracle=evil unlike Galactus...just becauseyou see superman approaching oracle means nothing. Even scott said, uhh this isn't a faceoff....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.