Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Who is Superman's true love (iyo)?

• 115 results
    Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While Supes is one of my favorite characters, I don't actually read his comics. However, I am fairly familiar with his lore and I know that until 2011, Lois Lane was his one true other. Now, it's Wonder Woman. But he's also had a few other ladies in his life (Lana Lang, Lemaris, Maxima). So, what do you guys think? Who does he truly belong with?

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
    Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darkman61288

Are you trying to start a flame war? Any I say it is Lois.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Black_Arrow
    Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288: >:D Muhahahahahah! Jk. Nah, I've seen people say that Wonder Woman belongs with Supes. I just wanna know why'd they think that since it's been made pretty clear pre-N52 that Lois is the one. That's all.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of them. In most continuities it's said that Superman will live for a very long time. If that's the case I imagine he would meet and fall in love with lots of women over the course of his life.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zer0-x said:

@darkman61288: >:D Muhahahahahah! Jk. Nah, I've seen people say that Wonder Woman belongs with Supes. I just wanna know why'd they think that since it's been made pretty clear pre-N52 that Lois is the one. That's all.

The whole Wonder Woman and Superman belong together statement is wrong because WW wasn't created to be his love interest or vice versa. Lois was.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Me

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I don't believe in any true love wishy washy stuff, but the woman with whom Superman has shared the best chemistry, whose personality and character is attractive to him as someone he'd want to be personally intimate with and who compliments Superman best in a relationship or marriage is evidently Lois Lane. Not just because she was created to be with Superman but because writers have written these characters in a compelling romance with much more justification and plausibility as to why Superman would choose to be with Lois.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why isn't Superman x Goku a thing?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zer0-x:

Maxima was never even close to being his true love. Not in the canon universe.

Lana has been portrayed more than once, has his first love. And only on the silver or bronze age, I don't remember which, did they got the chance to end up together. But it was unique event, everytime afterwards it was always Lois.

Lois has been for the most part of a 14 years run, showned to be the only woman Clark truly fell in love.

More recently we have him with Wonder Woman, Diana.

Now each was/is his true love, from Lana, to Lois and then Diana? The only correct answer is this... They all were/are.

Both Lana and Lois (more Lois than Lana by a long shot) had their place has Superman one true love. Now it's Diana time. Has it was first tried in Action Comics #600 in 1988. At the time they tried to pair up the dynamic duo but then they gave up because of business interests. And now they're putting a little more effort into it.

Hopefuly DC will stay it's course and not buckle down under the pressure of all of those that want to see Clark and Lois together again.

Time will tell.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04: pre-New 52 Superman Prime (who is modern Superman who has been in the sun upuntill the 853rd century) resurrected his wife Lois. Also there is the comic where Supes and Wonder Woman spent a thousand years in Valhalla and WW made. Pass at supes and he said Lois is the only one for him. So the true love of Supes life Pre-new 52 that is, is indeed lois lane.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Please don't remind me of the Valhalla story. It must never be spoke of. A truly grotesque interpretation of Superman.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04: I want to read it what's it called?

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

@z3ro180: Please don't remind me of the Valhalla story. It must never be spoke of. A truly grotesque interpretation of Superman.

So one of the best canon Superman stories is a gross interpretation of Superman?

Loading Video...

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L.L. There are 3 of them in Superman's life though...

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By azza04

@lvenger: lol you couldn't convince me that it was anything other than horrible. It was morbid. He spent 1000 years hopelessly devoted to Lois Lane, denying himself companionship and love for a women that died 900 years ago. Would Lois have become a monk for him? does Superman honestly believe that Lois would have expected him to be a monk for 900 years? I hated this aspect of the character because it came across as completely inhuman. Almost like Superman was clueless and doing his best at emulating what he believed was human needs and emotion. That's how I interpreted it anyway, probably doesn't make sense to you because we seem to have such widely different tastes.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

his true love is eating ass

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: so is that story any good I don't trust the other guys opinion

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Lois Lane

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Currently Diana. The other one (Post Crisis) it was Lois.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lois, just because he's dating Diana doesn't mean she's the love of his life or that he loves her more than anyone else.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Proof that Batman is his true love:

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By darkman61288

@azza04 said:

@lvenger: lol you couldn't convince me that it was anything other than horrible. It was morbid. He spent 1000 years hopelessly devoted to Lois Lane, denying himself companionship and love for a women that died 900 years ago. Would Lois have become a monk for him? does Superman honestly believe that Lois would have expected him to be a monk for 900 years? I hated this aspect of the character because it came across as completely inhuman. Almost like Superman was clueless and doing his best at emulating what he believed was human needs and emotion. That's how I interpreted it anyway, probably doesn't make sense to you because we seem to have such widely different tastes.

Wasn't Superman and Wonder Woman in constant battle over almost all of those 900 plus years? If so he didn't really think about Lois till when fighting was over. If there wasn't a way back he would of changed his mind after a bit.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

Wasn't Superman and Wonder Woman in constant battle over almost all of those 900 plus years? If so he didn't really think about Lois till when fighting was over. If there wasn't a way back he would of changed his mind after a bit.

The premise of a war lasting 1000 years is silly enough as it is, even in Asgard, but I highly doubt they spent every moment of everyday fighting. It's been a long time since I read the story though so it's possible.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By SaintWildcard

@azza04 said:

lol you couldn't convince me that it was anything other than horrible. It was morbid. He spent 1000 years hopelessly devoted to Lois Lane, denying himself companionship and love for a women that died 900 years ago. Would Lois have become a monk for him? does Superman honestly believe that Lois would have expected him to be a monk for 900 years? I hated this aspect of the character because it came across as completely inhuman. Almost like Superman was clueless and doing his best at emulating what he believed was human needs and emotion. That's how I interpreted it anyway, probably doesn't make sense to you because we seem to have such widely different tastes.

I bought that story to see what the hubbub was about. I also bought The 18th Letter, which many consider a story where Superman showed jealousy for Wonder Woman even while married to Lois. I share your feelings about that story, although I think Superman was more of a weenie in that story. And it was both a total pooping on both Wonder Woman and Kingdom Come. It poops on Kingdom Come cus in that story he gets with WW after only a few decades (but here it will never happen. It sorta wants to stomp out the SM/WW pairing) and it poops on WW because she was totally open to it but he rejected her cus he still loves Lois. Showing that Lois is no match for WW. It could have been that he just doesn't see her that way, but nope, it's cus Lois is better than the most loving/strong woman who inherited her looks from the goddess Aphrodite. I can buy Superman being devout to his wife for a 1000 years if he knew that he could see her again. Like if he was told if he won the war he would get to see her again, but nope, he's just a big weenie.

EDIT- I also wanna say that I've seen a lot of instances where WOnder Woman would totally date Superman despite that Superman is married. As if she desires him but Superman isn't the cheating type. One user even came up with the horrid idea that the Pre and New 52 universes should merge. But for some reason Superman ends up with Lois and WOnder Woman just deals with it. Not they both lost their feelings for each other, no. Diana remembers everything and loves Superman but he's now with Lois. I mean seriously, that needs to stop. It's like they bring her out as a show pony only to highlight that she's not match for Lois Lane. It's disgusting. I didn't like it in JL TAS with BM/WW and I most certainly don't like it there.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc I should have tagged you since you recommenced that story to me. ^^^

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Supergirl.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Lois Lane duh......

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why isn't Superman x Goku a thing?

Goku would make a terrible husband/wife.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

lol you couldn't convince me that it was anything other than horrible. It was morbid. He spent 1000 years hopelessly devoted to Lois Lane, denying himself companionship and love for a women that died 900 years ago. Would Lois have become a monk for him? does Superman honestly believe that Lois would have expected him to be a monk for 900 years? I hated this aspect of the character because it came across as completely inhuman. Almost like Superman was clueless and doing his best at emulating what he believed was human needs and emotion. That's how I interpreted it anyway, probably doesn't make sense to you because we seem to have such widely different tastes.

I bought that story to see what the hubbub was about. I also bought The 18th Letter, which many consider a story where Superman showed jealousy for Wonder Woman even while married to Lois. I share your feelings about that story, although I think Superman was more of a weenie in that story. And it was both a total pooping on both Wonder Woman and Kingdom Come. It poops on Kingdom Come cus in that story he gets with WW after only a few decades and it poops on WW because she was totally open to it but he rejected her cus he still loves Lois. Showing that Lois is no match for WW. It could have been that he just doesn't see her that way, but nope, it's cus Lois is better than the most loving/strong woman who inherited her looks from the goddess Aphrodite. I can buy Superman being devout to his wife for a 1000 years if he knew that he could see her again. Like if he was told if he won the war he would get to see her again, but nope, he's just a big weenie.

The whole premise of the story was ridiculous anyway. It seemed like it was created for the sole purpose of pandering to Clois shippers by saying 'look Superman spent 1000 years with one of the most extraordinary women in the world who also expressed a romantic interest in him but he stayed faithful to Lois for 1000 years after her death!! awwww isn't that romantic??' no, it was Twilight Edward Cullen level creepy. Even the synopsis of the book showed that this was the purpose of the story, it read something like "Superman and Wonder Woman spend 1000 years together, will they give in to desire or will he stay faithful to Lois" or some crap like that.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

The whole premise of the story was ridiculous anyway. It seemed like it was created for the sole purpose of pandering to Clois shippers by saying 'look Superman spent 1000 years with one of the most extraordinary women in the world who also expressed a romantic interest in him but he stayed faithful to Lois for 1000 years after her death!! awwww isn't that romantic??' no, it was Twilight Edward Cullen level creepy. Even the synopsis of the book showed that this was the purpose of the story, it read something like "Superman and Wonder Woman spend 1000 years together, will they give in to desire or will he stay faithful to Lois" or some crap like that.

I can understand pandering to Clois fans cus that's the relationship at the time anyway (it only feels out of place like currently in the New 52. Like in stories like Unchained or Superboy being the cloned child of Clois), but using Wonder WOman as show pony to demonstrate how inferior to Lois she is, is something I find repulsive. They could have created an original character like a Valkyrie, considering he was there for 1000 years anyway and do that. NOPE, let's stomp out all those SM/WW shippers by showing them it will never happen, who cares if we are tarnishing WW's image by doing it.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lois

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spiderman1997

@lvenger: What's the name of that Valhalla story ? I wanted to read it but I could never find its name.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Lois Lane

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By azza04

@azza04 said:

I can understand pandering to Clois fans cus that's the relationship at the time anyway (it only feels out of place like currently in the New 52. Like in stories like Unchained or Superboy being the cloned child of Clois), but using Wonder WOman as show pony to demonstrate how inferior to Lois she is, is something I find repulsive. They could have created an original character like a Valkyrie, considering he was there for 1000 years anyway and do that. NOPE, let's stomp out all those SM/WW shippers by showing them it will never happen, who cares if we are tarnishing WW's image by doing it.

Hypothetically, how long do you suppose Lois would have waited for him? He vanishes with Wonder Woman and doesn't come back how long does she wait? I would say one-two years max before she would say I'm not doing this anymore I'm moving on. Two years is realistic and what you would expect. To say Superman waited 1000 years is absurd. You can tell it was romance written by a comic book writer.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @saintwildcard said:

Hypothetically, how long do you suppose Lois would have waited for him? He vanishes with Wonder Woman and doesn't come back how long does she wait? I would say one-two years max before she would say I'm not doing this anymore I'm moving on. Two years is realistic and what you would expect. To say Superman waited 1000 years is absurd. You can tell it was romance written by a comic book writer.

From what I've heard she did when Superman "died". Or at the very least started dating again, even though some people implied they went all the way. I can see Superman lasting that long if promised once the war is over that he gets to go back to Lois (although admittingly 1000 years i a bit of a stretch), but he wandered aimlessly just fighting for 1000 years knowing that she's long dead is just dumb. That Superman is 3 much of a weenie 5 me.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Thanks buddy:)

DOn't thank me just yet. But hey, maybe you'll find enjoyment in this book where I have failed

KryptonianElf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Maxima! Superman can play house all he wants (he has plenty of time), but he's a god who needs a goddess. Wonder-Di is also a good candidate, and has the right ancestry papers to get their kid into De Jure deityhood.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: I found it to be a good story but clearly the idea of Superman staying loyal to Lois for 1,000 years is too much to believe in a comic book universe. But I didn't feel it disrespected or mistreated Wonder Woman at all, their relationship and friendship was handled very well for my tastes. Plus, according to what @sog7dc has told me, Kelly once wrote a great Wonder Woman centred story in his JLA run called Golden Perfect so it's clear he has a good understanding for the character.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@darkman61288: Lois wasn't either, technically. She was a plot device to show how meek Clark was and how cool Superman is because Lois wanted Superman, but not Clark.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288: Lois wasn't either, technically. She was a plot device to show how meek Clark was and how cool Superman is because Lois wanted Superman, but not Clark.

Except that Lois fell in Love with Clark and accepted Clark's proposal before he revealed that he was Superman to her. But hey who needs details and specifics right?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Stories like that is why people hate Superman: that's so over the top cheesy that I actually rolled my eyes without trying to.

Seriously....BLEH! Is that what you guys want from Superman? Is that something you actually consider exciting to read about?

I hate when writers sank Lois Lane.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Not under Shuster and Seigel.

Shuster and Seigel created Lois to be just that: the woman Clark pinned for while Lois wanted Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Considering Lois was partially inspired by Joanne Carter, Siegel's wife, I sincerely doubt your claim that Lois was that shallow before the Silver Age. Golden Age Lois wasn't like that at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.