Who is Superman's most powerful foe ?

• 106 results
#1 Edited by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have to say Darkseid followed by Zod and Brainiac.

#2 Edited by TimeLordScience (877 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday is also rather powerful, I'd say.

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11317 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Doomsday since he can't die but Darkseid comes in at a close second and Brainiac probably ties him. Zod is powerful but can be stopped, in my opinion, easier than the other three.

#4 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday.

#5 Edited by Ministurt (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Mister Mxyzptlk

#6 Edited by Dernman (14910 posts) - - Show Bio

Ignorant and/or misinformed haters.

#7 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2308 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Darkseid. Then Doomsday.

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11317 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Ignorant and/or misinformed haters.

Oh, that's a good one. That completely slipped my mind.

#9 Edited by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Doomsday since he can't die but Darkseid comes in at a close second and Brainiac probably ties him. Zod is powerful but can be stopped, in my opinion, easier than the other three.

Ummm...Doomsday CAN die...or did you forget Imperiex one-shoting him?

#10 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11317 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

Doomsday came back, didn't he? He doesn't stay dead.

#11 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe Imperiex. maybe anti monitor. maybe mandrakk.

#12 Posted by SHTR (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_guyver said:

I would say Darkseid. Then Doomsday.

Agreed.

#13 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Doomsday came back, didn't he? He doesn't stay dead.

Yeah...he came back thanks to SEVERE interference from Luthor after BEING REDUCED TO A LIFE-LESS SKELETON!

#14 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday and Darkseid.

#15 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Mxy and Brainiac

#16 Edited by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

Myx and Darkseid.

#17 Edited by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Lvenger (19121 posts) - - Show Bio

Mxy, Doomsday and Darkseid are probably Superman's top 3 most powerful foes IMO.

#19 Posted by Teerack (5745 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultraman.

#20 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

Ultraman.

Ultraman...Tiga...

#21 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Mxy

#22 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor

#24 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

no wait, BATMAN........../ NUFF SAID

#25 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

That's laughable. Batman is an insect next to Superman...and he is not part of his rogue gallery, he is his friend.

#26 Posted by StrangeMan (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad to see no one mentioned this guy:

#27 Posted by consolemaster001 (5157 posts) - - Show Bio

who ?

#28 Posted by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex and Doomsday.

They both represent the ends of the villain spectrum.

Lex is (or he would like to think he is) the epitome of human ambition. He is the smartest man in the world, extremly rich, at peak physical condition and is completely amoral. He pretty much is the Nietzchien Ubermensh, beyond good and evil. He challenges Supes mentally and politically, and can strike from any angle. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel encaptulates his motivation perfectly. He hates Superman because he believes that people should not look up to him because he is an impossible goal; people instead should strive to be like Lex. So, it is seething jealousy from a man who has and can have anything.

Doomsday is just a pure mindless killing machine. He is unstoppable and cannot be reasoned or negotiated with. He challenges Superman physically, but more importantly he challenges Superman's courage and hope. Most villains must not give supes the thought that he cannot overcome them, there is never any doubt. But Doomsday is just the embodiment of mindless unstoppable destruction that he must give the man of steel fear for his life.

#29 Posted by w0nd (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman said:

who ?

imperiex, the guy who blasted doomsday into the lifeless skeleton mentioned above

#30 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Mandrakk, Mxy, Imperiex, Darkseid, and now Helspont.

#31 Edited by ShowboatingPenguin (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Mongul Senior/Pre-crisis Mongul

#32 Edited by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@showboatingpenguin: PC mongul just beat a low level PC superman,even so,there has two charater more powerful than PC mongul(of course,they are just above a low level superman,hige level superman beat them easily)

#33 Posted by modunhanul (403 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor.

#34 Posted by sinestro_GL (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm...interesting question.

Going to give my vote to Lex. Considering that other villains, like Mxy and Darkseid are granted with super-powers, Lex is simply a man, no more super than you or I, and can cause such havoc.

He is BY FAR the greatest threat to Kal

#35 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to give my vote to Lex. Considering that other villains, like Mxy and Darkseid are granted with super-powers, Lex is simply a man, no more super than you or I, and can cause such havoc.

Except he's MUCH MUCH MUCH smarter than you or I will ever be and has lots and lots of money.

Also: Imperiex.

#36 Posted by consolemaster001 (5157 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@consolemaster001 said:

@strangeman said:

who ?

imperiex, the guy who blasted doomsday into the lifeless skeleton mentioned above

ah, i see.

#37 Posted by sinestro_GL (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

Except he's MUCH MUCH MUCH smarter than you or I will ever be and has lots and lots of money.

I said "super" in the sense that he was not born with any advantages over us. His intelligence and wealth is not a superpower

#38 Edited by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@sinestro_gl said:

I said "super" in the sense that he was not born with any advantages over us. His intelligence and wealth is not a superpower

"he was not born with any advantages over us..."

Wealth and money.

Compared to humans in THIS universe, his intellect might as well be.

Also, I don't recall Luthor managing to one-shot Doomsday and almost do the same to Superman if the plot didn't make Darkseid wisk him to the (relative) safety of Apokalips.

#39 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid

#40 Posted by .Longshot. (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

Parasite, if we're not simply judging by who can butt heads with him the hardest. Parasite can weaken him without the use of kryptonite, and by weakening Superman, he makes himself strong. That shift in the ratio makes the fight unfair in Parasite's favor, and there's really no guaranteed way for Superman to take him down without just making him stronger. Depending on where you get your information, Parasite can even absorb the kinetic energy of punches and bullets. The problem is that he's really not that clever. That power should just win every fight for you, but he just doesn't seem to have the creativity to use it to its full potential. Now, if Lex Luthor were able to give himself Parasite's powers...

#41 Edited by tensor (4098 posts) - - Show Bio

mxy, no one else even comes close

#42 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor: PC superman speed enough make mxy dizzy though

#43 Posted by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday is #1 IMO, after that Darkseid and then Brainiac and Zod.

#44 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@jj62: each other not as powerful as validus or omgea

#45 Posted by sinestro_GL (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

@hewhosees said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Wealth and money.

Also, I don't recall Luthor managing to one-shot Doomsday and almost do the same to Superman if the plot didn't make Darkseid wisk him to the (relative) safety of Apokalips.

Well, depending on which origin story you go by, Luthor was a poor boy from Smallville (Secret Origins by Johns).

Intellect is not something you're born with, it's a skill you learn as you gradually become older.

You're missing the point. Doomsday is essentially a super-weapon, Darkseid is a God, and Lex Luthor is just a man, yet all have put Superman, and Earth into numerous perils. The fact that Luthor can be compared to Doomsday or Darkseid, without any SUPERHUMAN powers makes him remarkable.

#46 Posted by Black_Claw (2958 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor: He may not have superpowers but he's got more money and resources than you could imagine, and on top of that he's one of the smartest people in the DCU. Lets face it, Lex is essentially a man fighting god.

Zod: A fellow kryptonian like Kal so of course he's gonna be one of his strongest foes.

Doomsday: He killed Superman for crying out loud!!

And I'm deciding not to count Darkseid since he's more of an "everybody" villain to me.

#47 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@hewhosees said:

@sinestro_gl said:

@hewhosees said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Wealth and money.

Well, depending on which origin story you go by, Luthor was a poor boy from Smallville (Secret Origins by Johns).

Intellect is not something you're born with, it's a skill you learn as you gradually become older.

You're missing the point. Doomsday is essentially a super-weapon, Darkseid is a God, and Lex Luthor is just a man, yet all have put Superman, and Earth into numerous perils. The fact that Luthor can be compared to Doomsday or Darkseid, without any SUPERHUMAN powers makes him remarkable.

There are SO many people who would argue with you on the intellect thing being inherent, but that's getting into nature vs. nurture territory, and I ain't gonna get into that.

As a rebuttal, the fact that Imperiex can casually one-shot Superman like a gnat without barely even trying, makes him MORE remarkable than a rich badlguy with an ego complex the size of the Universe who has to meticulously plot out Superman's doom and has to wait quite a bit before he's even an iota of accomplishing of what Imperiex can accomplish.

Yes, out of Superman's cadre of earth born villains, Lex is probably the most dangerous, but out of his ENTIRE cadre? I think I hear the men in white coming for ya you Cuckulander, because in what reality does "Dude who one-shoted DOOMSDAY and was about to do the same to Supes if the plot didn't save his Kryptonian ass" NOT equate to a larger threat than bald-man with a genetically perfected intellect?

#48 Posted by HeWhoSees (629 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex Luthor: He may not have superpowers but he's got more money and resources than you could imagine, and on top of that he's one of the smartest people in the DCU. Lets face it, Lex is essentially a man fighting god.

Zod: A fellow kryptonian like Kal so of course he's gonna be one of his strongest foes.

Doomsday: He killed Superman for crying out loud!!

And I'm deciding not to count Darkseid since he's more of an "everybody" villain to me.

Pfff...everybody villain...

#49 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Imperiex as he couldn't really be killed.

Darkseid and Doomsday otherwise.

#50 Posted by HouseOfRao (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Myxlplyx is limitless. If he wants to defeat Superman, he can. He can do whatever he wants to Superman, the keyword is wants. Though looking for something more traditional, Superboy Prime is easily the most powerful. SBP is based off of Pre-Crisis Superboy, making him one of the strongest beings in the entire universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.