who here has read the death of superman when it came out?

#1 Posted by shamgar (164 posts) - - Show Bio

i bought it when i was six. and i have one unopened

#2 Posted by G-Man (34037 posts) - - Show Bio

I did. I'm sure I have at least one unopened. I was a sucker and bought more than one.

Staff
#3 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

they needed someone people couldn't just say, "Well Supes can beat them. And if he can't the JLA will."

creating a new villian makes it impossible to point out a hero who can be beat and probably has been beat already.

Yes I read them all when they came out too. I didn't like how they later said, "Oh' he was only mostly dead."

#4 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did they use Doomsday? They should have used a character already in existents.

#5 Posted by Intervener (453 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read the novel.

#6 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

I read it when it was new, and like G-Man, I was a sucker and bought every cover and bagged and boarded them. Oh well, gifts for the children/grandchildren I suppose.

And I agree with Bertron. The whole "I wasn't really dead the way humans understand it" thing was such a big cop-out. Of all the characters of the DCU who could cheat death, why wouldn't it be Superman? Then, the whole backstory later created for Doomsday that he has actually come back to life numerous times over hundred (thousands?) of years is just even more incongruous. (And don't get me started on Darkseid's army of Doomsdays he unleashed on Paradise Island).

I was ok with Doomsday being created, but some of the stuff they've done since his death during his fight with Supes has just been a thinly veiled plot to extort more money from the unwashed masses. Either that, or an editorial scapegoat. "We need a powerful monster for this story. One's who widely feared, yet his overall contribution to this story's continuity will be essentially nil. I know, let's use Doomsday again!"

#7 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the art work was horrible. I pulled my copy of the box a couple months back and was astounded.

Staff
#8 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"I thought the art work was horrible. I pulled my copy of the box a couple months back and was astounded."

That happens quite a lot in retrospect. There are so many volumes I have fond memories of, but when I pull it back out years later I think, "Did I really think this art was good?" I mean, I liked Liefeld stuff during his New Mutants/X-Force days, but now looking back..............(shudders)

#9 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in High School when it came out, my local comic shop asked me to help with security (I worked there the summer prior) because Dan Jurgens did a signing there they night it came out.

#10 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

I read his death when it came out, I have the comic, but I didn't bother reading the reign of supermen... man.. his hair in the 90's sucked. But I did read the novel when it came out too.

#11 Posted by The_MVPs (84693 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did they create a new character to take him out? Lex should have been the one to do it or even better, since they brought back the original Zod anyway, they could of had him do it, Doomsdays never really been fleshed out as a character. (My opinion)

#12 Posted by Intervener (453 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

I don't think the art I've seen is that bad, it's just that as time goes on, more work is put into comics. Look at how bad it was back in the "Golden Age".

#13 Posted by Deep Blue (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a copy of that issue, but when we moved to our current place, it got lost (that's the official report, extra-officially, I think one of the movin'-guys stole it!). Anyway, I was pretty young by then (like 8 years old) so it's a little traumatizing to watch how one of your favorite heroes die (my brother bought it to me 'coz he tought it wouldn't be that violent... WRONG!). Anyway, I actually won't miss that issue, even if eventually will cost a lot of money for collectors, I didn't like it at all!... well, I could have used that money!... DAMN IT!.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.