Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Where Superman REALLY comes from

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cpt_linger

Someone asked me the other day if Superman was real. I told them, yes, but he’s not the guy you see in the movies.

Clark Zupfermann was born in Kent, Iowa in 1893 to a couple of immigrants from Warsaw, Poland. His parents were in their 50’s when he was born (they had thought they were unable to have children). He was more then the usual “miracle baby” in that he had a rare genetic disorder. His body had an unusual mutation that caused increased muscle growth and strength, as well as a type of psoriasis that made his skin virtually impenetrable. His skin was basically a natural version of Kevlar.

Clark was extremely fast for a person, but not faster than a speeding train of course. He was able to run at a sustained speed of over 30 mph for several miles - this at a time when most people didn’t have cars. He could weather being stabbed by knifes and once famously for surviving a blast of buckshot from a misfired shotgun. The problem was that, although he wouldn’t be cut, he still felt the pain of being shot and poked.

Clark gain some local fame when he rescued a young girl named Lois Strassman, who had been trapped underneath a tractor that had rolled. His strength made easy work of lifting the tractor, and then he ran the girl to the local hospital in his arms. The rescue saved the girl and would have been a much more publicized event, barring one fact. Clark and Lois were Jewish. Rather than see the situation as heroic, many locals became afraid of him and took great pains to minimize his effort. Adding the fact that his skin condition made him look somewhat mannequin-esque, it was easy for people to dismiss him as some kind of freak. Regardless, Clark lived a simple life of doing whatever he could for his community and his fellow townsfolk.

Clark died in 1937 and was buried as a pauper. He truly was an unsung hero of the people. Luckily, the spirit of his good deeds and love for his fellow man live on in legend.

Unfortunately, Clark is typical of your run-of-the-mill super hero. Most of us are born different and have to deal with being outside the norm every day. The majority of us try to do good, but there are many who grow up resentful and angry - thus turning into the villains that we deal with to this day. I’m always asked why we don’t just kill the evil guys when we have the chance, instead letting them have the opportunity to reek havoc again and again. The simple answer is that we can empathize with their anger. There but for the grace of God

http://upandonward.qwip.org/2005/10/02/the-real-superman/

weather witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By weather witch

wow thats impressive

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cpt_linger

aztek the lost says:

"so is this a true story...cause that would mean this guy died before Superman ever appeared"

yeah apparantly a true story, still... impressive if its not lol

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Last_Guardian

wow..great story, pretty inspiring

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I'm not sure if you guys really think that's true or showing some sort of post modern irony. Anyway, if you seriously think it's true, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

This is the truth of that blog:

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/07/06/160535.php

Knightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Knightwing

I am not testing the validity of that story but I will say that Clark in that story may have inspired the true Superman. Only time will tell....and not Cosmic Sentinel.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By King_Saturn

cpt_linger says:

"Someone asked me the other day if Superman was real. I told them, yes, but he’s not the guy you see in the movies. Clark Zupfermann was born in Kent, Iowa in 1893 to a couple of immigrants from Warsaw, Poland. His parents were in their 50’s when he was born (they had thought they were unable to have children). He was more then the usual “miracle baby” in that he had a rare genetic disorder. His body had an unusual mutation that caused increased muscle growth and strength, as well as a type of psoriasis that made his skin virtually impenetrable. His skin was basically a natural version of Kevlar. Clark was extremely fast for a person, but not faster than a speeding train of course. He was able to run at a sustained speed of over 30 mph for several miles - this at a time when most people didn’t have cars. He could weather being stabbed by knifes and once famously for surviving a blast of buckshot from a misfired shotgun. The problem was that, although he wouldn’t be cut, he still felt the pain of being shot and poked. Clark gain some local fame when he rescued a young girl named Lois Strassman, who had been trapped underneath a tractor that had rolled. His strength made easy work of lifting the tractor, and then he ran the girl to the local hospital in his arms. The rescue saved the girl and would have been a much more publicized event, barring one fact. Clark and Lois were Jewish. Rather than see the situation as heroic, many locals became afraid of him and took great pains to minimize his effort. Adding the fact that his skin condition made him look somewhat mannequin-esque, it was easy for people to dismiss him as some kind of freak. Regardless, Clark lived a simple life of doing whatever he could for his community and his fellow townsfolk. Clark died in 1937 and was buried as a pauper. He truly was an unsung hero of the people. Luckily, the spirit of his good deeds and love for his fellow man live on in legend. Unfortunately, Clark is typical of your run-of-the-mill super hero. Most of us are born different and have to deal with being outside the norm every day. The majority of us try to do good, but there are many who grow up resentful and angry - thus turning into the villains that we deal with to this day. I’m always asked why we don’t just kill the evil guys when we have the chance, instead letting them have the opportunity to reek havoc again and again. The simple answer is that we can empathize with their anger. There but for the grace of God
    " />http://upandonward.qwip.org/2005/10/02/the-real-superman/"

Hmm...interesting. Thats cool man

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Knightwing says:

"I am not testing the validity of that story but I will say that Clark in that story may have inspired the true Superman. Only time will tell....and not Cosmic Sentinel. "

Did you read the link I posted. It is a fictional blog... Or am I missing the joke and looking like a

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cpt_linger

i should bring an umbrella when you're around because you sure know how to RAIN ON A PARADE!

Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

cpt_linger says:

"i should bring an umbrella when you're around because you sure know how to RAIN ON A PARADE!"

It's my gift.

Knightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Knightwing

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Knightwing says:
    "I am not testing the validity of that story but I will say that Clark in that story may have inspired the true Superman. Only time will tell....and not Cosmic Sentinel. "

Did you read the link I posted. It is a fictional blog... Or am I missing the joke and looking like a

" />http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c157/mars_central/jack.jpg"

Nah, just having fun at your expense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.