When did it become cool to hate on superman?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

it seems like everywhere i go there are people who hate on superman. when my friends are talking about the best superheroes and i bring up superman they start insulting superman saying how hes gay, overpowered, and boring. and they dont even read comics. why do people hate him so much there are very few charecters who get so much hate.

#2 Posted by _slim_ (13648 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters gonna hate.

#3 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

If they don't know anything about him, then their opinion means next to nothing.

#4 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

If they don't read comics, why are their opinions noted?

#5 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

It never has been or will be cool to hate on Superman,

#6 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

How old are your friends? I'm pretty sure everyone over 40 doesn't hate on Superman.

#7 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably around the dawn of anti-hero popularity. In short:

@_slim_ said:

Haters gonna hate.

#8 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

even comic book fans hate on him i guess they just dont like his good guy personality. but his personality is the reason i like superman.

#9 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

The nineties when anti-heroes came about and knocked the sense out of no-kill moralist fans with their guns

#10 Posted by Greenflashlight (183 posts) - - Show Bio

NEVER!!!... the new 52 ... its not that good

#11 Posted by wildvine (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

It never has been or will be cool to hate on Superman,

#12 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@Greenflashlight: read Grant Morrison's run on action comics and aquamans been pretty cool lately and scott snyder's run on batman

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

It never was... But it was almost getting there when Grounded was the storyline. Nyahahahaha!

#14 Posted by leesh100 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@tim2081 said:

How old are your friends? I'm pretty sure everyone over 40 doesn't hate on Superman.

lol try 20 I know alot of ppl who love superman (my husband is a superman worshipper)...... it is never cool to hate though.......especially someone that cute

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think its really cool to hate Superman. I do think some people find Superman old fashion. Largely cos of the donner verse and the outfit. But Smallville has done alot to correct the image. But if their favourite is batman or Spiderman, they might hate Superman because they know the big blue is going to whoop their favourite hero's ass.

#16 Posted by danhimself (22695 posts) - - Show Bio

the overpowered and boring argument only comes from people who have never read a Superman comic

#17 Posted by AKA_TERMINATOR (332 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll tell ya something.

When I was in school people use to talk about Superman like he was God lol I would always debate with Superman fans and they would bring up all these abilities Superman has over all these characters.

Kinda wish I could relive school again so i can tell those superman freaks to come on comic vine and jump on a superman vs majestic thread and try to say superman wins...LOL

I like Superman hes ok, but I don't care for him that much.... Tooo Overrated. plus its not something i was brought up with as a kid.... as a kid i was brought up with Chucky, Batman, Terminator, Ninja Turtles, and freddy krueger.... didn't care that much for superman.

#18 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Even now I still meet hardcore Superman fans. They would buy all the Superman live action movies, animated movies, tv series, animated series, T-shirts and all. Just short of reading the comics. They usually just get really popular trades like All Star Superman, Superman/Batman first and second arc, death of superman and etc.

And the thing is I see lotsa people wear the Superman T-shirt. Everyday you go out you'll see people wearing them. I swear. I think partly cos in my area theres around 5-6 or more stores that sells DC t-shirts, merchandise and all. All of them are franchises and the most sold t-shirts are Superman and Batman. There are no marvel franchised stores here, not sure is it because DC markets their heroes better with the iconic symbols, but those symbols are the ones that sells the most. I do however start to see one of two shelf of marvel clothes in disney stores.

#19 Posted by FearTheLiving (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

It's cool? I've hated superman sense I was a kid. Well I guess hate is a tad strong, just probably one of my least favorite super heroes.

#20 Posted by Superguy1591 (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving: Why do you hate him?

#21 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

if you hate superman for those reasons, then you hate green lantern because he can do almost anything, you hate hulk and wolverine (none knows deadpool) because they can't die,you hate pretty much everyone that has powers....

#22 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

It's never cool in my book to hate on my favourite superhero.

#23 Edited by FearTheLiving (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy1591: Like I said I don't really "hate" him. Growing up I couldn't relate to him nor did I feel he had really any weakness that made it seem as if he could actually fail. Don't like his costume and still hate how no one seems to know Clark Kent is SM.

I am thankful for him being the first superhero that kind of set the pave for new superheroes but as a hero himself I always thought he was too one dimensional for my taste.

#24 Edited by Superguy1591 (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

People don't know Superman, that's why they hate him and think it's cool to. They all developed Luthor's disease.

Luthor's disease is when you hate Superman just to hate Superman when you've never even given him a chance.

#25 Posted by Superguy1591 (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving: Do you still feel this way about Superman?

#26 Posted by FearTheLiving (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy1591: Some what, I for sure don't hate the guy but I still not a huge fan of him.

#27 Posted by Superguy1591 (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving: How come you can't relate to feeling alone and not accepted?

And what about kryptonite, magic and him just taking a good beating like with Doomsday?

And do you like Spider-Man or Captain America's suits? They're almost the same colors.

#28 Posted by FearTheLiving (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy1591 said:

And what about kryptonite, magic and him just taking a good beating like with Doomsday?

And do you like Spider-Man or Captain America's suits? They're almost the same colors.

I meant in terms of his attitude.

That's like comparing apples to oranges as those are pretty different from supes. I don't hate the colors I hate the suit, just like I hate the new spidey suit in the new movie.

As for his "weaknesses" it just really wasn't used right at least from what I remember I also haven't kept up with superman so it may be better now. If you want to suggest something I'd gladly take a look.

#29 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving said:

@Superguy1591 said:

I meant in terms of his attitude.

That's like comparing apples to oranges as those are pretty different from supes. I don't hate the colors I hate the suit, just like I hate the new spidey suit in the new movie.

As for his "weaknesses" it just really wasn't used right at least from what I remember I also haven't kept up with superman so it may be better now. If you want to suggest something I'd gladly take a look.

Have you read a Superman comicbook before? A good one?

#30 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@tim2081: im 22 and Supes is my favorite hero.

#31 Posted by FearTheLiving (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Reading, my post would probably help with that question :P.

Growing up Supes didn't interest me so pretty much all I've seen of him are the movies, cartoons, and that's pretty much it. Though not reading a comic really hasn't affected the way I feel about how I feel about other super heroes so I doubt it would have on just supes, but like I said I'll take suggestions.

Throw out a really good one and I'll check it out, not like I'm trying to not give him a shot.

#32 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@FearTheLiving: Yeah I know I read your posts. Uhm. Well I'm not sure what kinda stories you like.

Fans of the classic Superman love stories like Kingdom Come, All Star Superman (adapted to animated movie), Birthrights.

For an alternate take, Superman Earth One.

If you haven't watched the animated film All Star Superman, you should and you can check out the comics if you like it. If not I think Superman Earth One shows Superman in a very relatable way. I love it, but others may not as much.

I'm 24 btw. not some old far (nothing wrong with being old) LOL

#33 Posted by FearTheLiving (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I'll be sure to get around to checking them out.

#34 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

It has never been cool.

Superman is not overpowered. He is just SUPER-Man.

He has to be powerful. And there a thousand of other characters that can mop the floor with Superman.

#35 Posted by SuperJimmy (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I am gonna laugh. Somebody just said superman was "tooo overrated" when there is a character called "batman" in this world.

#36 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone hates him. Hes just not that interesting to a lot of people..

#37 Posted by The Stegman (25544 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're uncool if you DON'T like Superman

#38 Edited by iGobot (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Like many have said on here, it seems that a lot of those who hate on Superman don't have a full understanding of the character. They should read his stories and see that he's actually easier to relate to than people think. Sure the Superman of the Silver and Bronze Age was overpowered and such, but that time is gone. He's a much different, and deeper character now. A lot about his persona is very much human. His powers and abilities are what make him super but he isn't without personal depth. He is an enjoyable character and definitely one that inspires.

#39 Posted by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I could answer this question in so many different ways...

#40 Posted by viin (656 posts) - - Show Bio

yea i dont understand why people hate him...i dont read any Superman titles but i really like his new design in the new 52 Justice League..he doesnt stand out so bold like he use too...he seems better fit on the JLA scenario in my opinion. And i mean come on he was practically the first super hero....have a little respect.

#41 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I know many people who don't like Superman, but personally he's the hero I relate to the most and feel is the most human (ironic, I know). He grew up in a middle class home with parents who loved him and whom he has/had a good relationship with. I even like some of the changes that the new 52 has made to him, like the fact that him and Lois aren't together yet he obviously likes her (in Superman at least), he's a guy in the friendzone, who can't relate to that? I also love how idealistic he is now in Action Comics, his conversation with the Justice league in AC #10 made me like him even more, he wants to do good and fix the world and doesn't see why things such as bureaucracy should get in the way of that.

#42 Posted by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

people don't like Superman because you can't relate. He's a freaking alien! I like human superheroes! Spider man may not have awesome powers for example but he is just a kid from New York. Superman lives in a fictional city. On top of that there are a million superheroes with his powers (or similar ones to varying degrees) so it's kind of... boring. Also he can do virtually anything (like moving the earth, flying through a red sun, and I think he even lifted an island or something made of kryptonite!) there should be more challenge. On a different note, if you have an overpowered character you should give him a complex character with some character defects. The Sentry is a good example. I know what some say "sentry is such a superman rip off" well that is partially true to some level, but the sentry is agoraphobic, and schizophrenic! sure you may not find him as a good role model for the world but his character has some deep inner struggle. I haven't read much superman but he appears on the outside to have a lot of the classic struggles but nothing to deep some heroes don't have crazy mental struggles but they have bad habits often like being alcoholic, Whereas Supes is a model citizen by most standards. Before I conclude my short mild rant, I'd like to say I don't hate superman, I just don't find him interesting. I mean no offense so please don't hate me. Please.

#43 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the point about him being a model citizen no longer applies to new 52 Supes. In Action Comics he's all about serving justice, regardless of the legality of his methods, like in AC #1 when he's extorting a confession from Glenmorgan and says that he no longer believes that the law works.

#44 Posted by IIDEADxPOOLII (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

People who hate on Superman are moron's who have never read a comic in their life and most likely prance around saying things like Batman is the best superhero ever. Not that I have anything against Bats i'm just saying.

#45 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7690 posts) - - Show Bio

SuperMan is not my type of character. He bores me to death.

#46 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh? How does he bore you?

#47 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because there were no good Superman movies being released next to Dark Knight and all that. 

#48 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeejaybay said:

It's because there were no good Superman movies being released next to Dark Knight and all that.

I'd agree with that, if Man of Steel is good then I think we'll see a lot of superman's haters change their mind. From my experience people who don't like superman don't really follow him in comics, most of there experience of him is through things like movies or animated series.

#49 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio
@polo327 said:

@zeejaybay said:

I'd agree with that, if Man of Steel is good then I think we'll see a lot of superman's haters change their mind. From my experience people who don't like superman don't really follow him in comics, most of there experience of him is through things like movies or animated series.

Exactly. These people only go to movies and some buy the video games but I don't assume any of them read the comics. For someone to grasp Superman as a concept they would have to go beyond the mediums readily available to them about other heroes. There's the problem. Superman should have had a kick ass movie and game when everyone was drooling over Dark Knight and Arkham universe, giving people alittle variety.  My hopes for Man of Steel is to allow people to wonder and be amazed again by the idea that a man can fly and to effectively fall back in love with Superman.
#50 Posted by Typhion (651 posts) - - Show Bio

Since people became self indulgent wankers and hated being challenged on their weak justifications for taking the easy way out. I hear over and over about how he's too goody goody (that's been around for what, 40 years?) or they don't like the no killing code. Well that's not easy.

It would be easy to indulge in base emotions, to use your gifts to your own ends, etc. But that doesn't mean it's good, and if Superman ceases to be good, then he's not Superman. People don't like anything, even an icon, that reminds them that we can be better than we are. It challenges them, it chastizes them, and at times it reprimands them. There was a time when that wasn't out of line in our culture. I fear it now is. Hence the hate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.