What's up with Superman and other characters names?

#1 Edited by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Many iconic characters comic book names tend to follow a pattern in which they seem to repeat the first letter in the first and last name or may sound similar. I also noticed that Superman's writers have a thing for L names.

Examples: Lois Lane, , Lana Lang, Lex Luthor, Clark Kent (C and K pronounced similar)

Other comic references:

Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards, Susan Storm, Wally West, Guy Gardner

But this isn't always true as look at these iconic names that don't follow this pattern:

Bruce Wayne, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Ben Grimm, Johnny Storm, Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers

Is the matching letters a coincidence? A tool to easily remember them?

#2 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Name alliterations. It's a comic cliche that will never die.

I quite like them.

#3 Posted by Cap10nate (2722 posts) - - Show Bio

There is an episode of the Big Bang Theory where they are going to meet Stan Lee. Raj wants to ask him why he named all his characters as alliterations. He spouts off at least 50 during the show it seems.

#4 Posted by Ms. Omega (4538 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee said in an interview the reason that he does it is its easier for him to remember the characters names.

#5 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

There is an episode of the Big Bang Theory where they are going to meet Stan Lee. Raj wants to ask him why he named all his characters as alliterations. He spouts off at least 50 during the show it seems.

I love that episode!

#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it makes the names easier to remember and also easier to find a combination that fits well together.

#7 Posted by Drummer007 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheTimShow said:

@Cap10nate said:

I love that episode!

Me too!

#8 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's tradition at this point. Originally, it was done because the names are catchier and easier for the audience to remember.

#9 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Also that stupid iteration... Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, Superdog, Superhorse, etc... Nyahahahahaha!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.