Whats the Big Change In the New Superman

#1 Posted by ALT (152 posts) - - Show Bio

How is he different Now as apposed to the red trunks time. Has his personality on paper had a sign of the time upgrade.

#2 Edited by Farscape (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends which book you read.

In Action Comics which details the new Superman's early years Grant Morrisson has took the character back to how he was written in his early years as a social crusader as both a crime fighter and as a reporter. He's young and brash and not afraid to strong arm criminals and believes nothing is impossible. We are told his personality will evolve just as his powers and the threats he fights do. Currently he's at his golden age levels and just swapped his jeans and t-shirt look for the Kryptonian suit.

In Superman it's a bit up in the air. The first arc by Perez had Supes as a rather broody hero that feels somewhat as an isolated alien. In the story something is influencing Superman and thus he's supposed to be acting out of character but obviously being a new version we don't know what he's supposed to act like normaly. After Perez left Jurgens took up the book and characterised him more or less like the Superman he wrote during the 90s which is the personality most are familiar with.

In Justice League and other DC books he appears in his general characterisation is more in line with Perez's take but with a bit of cockyness. By now he's one of the most powerful super humans on the planet and he knows it.

#3 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

This hasn't been confirmed yet but it appears that his invulnerability is not what it was. He needs to use an indestructible armor now.

#4 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: that was in action,during his early days,he's pretty solid in the present,he beat helspont(whos supposedly a big deal,sorry i never read wildstorm comics) and came away with minor bruises. so pretty sure hes normal in the present and gettin stronger with more exposure to the sun.....at least thats what i tell myself to get thru the day....really Hate the idea of depowerin Superman,i dont want silver age power levels,nobody does but keep to his pre-flashpoint levels and get writers with more imagination.

#5 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan said:

@Kallarkz: that was in action,during his early days,he's pretty solid in the present,he beat helspont(whos supposedly a big deal,sorry i never read wildstorm comics) and came away with minor bruises. so pretty sure hes normal in the present and gettin stronger with more exposure to the sun.....at least thats what i tell myself to get thru the day....really Hate the idea of depowerin Superman,i dont want silver age power levels,nobody does but keep to his pre-flashpoint levels and get writers with more imagination.

Eh...he didn't beat Helspont though. He attacked him and he disappeared.

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

@Farscape said:

Depends which book you read.

In Action Comics which details the new Superman's early years Grant Morrisson has took the character back to how he was written in his early years as a social crusader as both a crime fighter and as a reporter. He's young and brash and not afraid to strong arm criminals and believes nothing is impossible. We are told his personality will evolve just as his powers and the threats he fights do. Currently he's at his golden age levels and just swapped his jeans and t-shirt look for the Kryptonian suit.

In Superman it's a bit up in the air. The first arc by Perez had Supes as a rather broody hero that feels somewhat as an isolated alien. In the story something is influencing Superman and thus he's supposed to be acting out of character but obviously being a new version we don't know what he's supposed to act like normaly. After Perez left Jurgens took up the book and characterised him more or less like the Superman he wrote during the 90s which is the personality most are familiar with.

In Justice League and other DC books he appears in his general characterisation is more in line with Perez's take but with a bit of cockyness. By now he's one of the most powerful super humans on the planet and he knows it.

So either Superman is schizophrenic or someone needs to straighten out a goddamn timeline.

#7 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: uh so who fled n who emerged victorious,dude.....

#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan said:

@Kallarkz: uh so who fled n who emerged victorious,dude.....

are we talking about a test of bravery?

or a test of invulnerability?

#9 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

@UltimateSMfan said:

@Kallarkz: uh so who fled n who emerged victorious,dude.....

are we talking about a test of bravery?

or a test of invulnerability?

ok,lets wait till helspont returns and when superman kicks his butt then(that is if he doesnt flee(again),which one normally does when their losing) then we can all rest easy :D now we wait.....

#10 Edited by Farscape (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

This hasn't been confirmed yet but it appears that his invulnerability is not what it was. He needs to use an indestructible armor now.

He's invulnerable but he doesn't have the invisible telekinetic forcefield that protects his costume from ripping and tearing that John Byrne gave him post Crisis. It goes back to the original explanation that the costume he wears is Kryptonian material and is as indestructable as he is and thus doesn't rip or tear. While it's been described as armor and designed as such by Jim Lee most of the books make it seem flexible and skintight, to me it looks like the Kryptonian equivelent of the material they make super hero costumes out of in the movies.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Farscape said:

So either Superman is schizophrenic or someone needs to straighten out a goddamn timeline.

Characterisation is a funny ol' thing even with characters that are very well defined. We all know Grant has more or less free rein to do what he likes and since his stories are set in the past it doesn't really contradict the stories set around "present day". We know his personality will evolve but whether Grant will characterise him like the other writers when he gets there is anyones guess. He said he wants retell the origin of the new Justice League but from Superman's perspective.

#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (12780 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Farscape said:

Depends which book you read.

In Action Comics which details the new Superman's early years Grant Morrisson has took the character back to how he was written in his early years as a social crusader as both a crime fighter and as a reporter. He's young and brash and not afraid to strong arm criminals and believes nothing is impossible. We are told his personality will evolve just as his powers and the threats he fights do. Currently he's at his golden age levels and just swapped his jeans and t-shirt look for the Kryptonian suit.

In Superman it's a bit up in the air. The first arc by Perez had Supes as a rather broody hero that feels somewhat as an isolated alien. In the story something is influencing Superman and thus he's supposed to be acting out of character but obviously being a new version we don't know what he's supposed to act like normaly. After Perez left Jurgens took up the book and characterised him more or less like the Superman he wrote during the 90s which is the personality most are familiar with.

In Justice League and other DC books he appears in his general characterisation is more in line with Perez's take but with a bit of cockyness. By now he's one of the most powerful super humans on the planet and he knows it.

So either Superman is schizophrenic or someone needs to straighten out a goddamn timeline.

Well he could just have a black symbiote affecting his own morals or stuff like that. Perhaps we can see Black Superman over the coming issues. You have to admit, that IS original.

#12 Edited by Farscape (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said

Well he could just have a black symbiote affecting his own morals or stuff like that. Perhaps we can see Black Superman over the coming issues. You have to admit, that IS original.

Well that's essentialy what Perez did in his story. He revealed Brainiac's nannites stowed away in his suit for years until they started messing with his head and made him act out of character. Now that sounds like the premise to a reasonably solid story but as I pointed out in stories were the protagonist acts out of character we really need to know what they act like normaly to really compare and since this was a new Superman we have no idea what he acted like when he wasn't getting his brain messed with,

#13 Posted by The Stegman (20738 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people have been complaining about the new Superman saying he's too dark and violent, and not the Superman they knew, but honestly, there's been very little change to him, rather they've been focusing on the different attitudes he's had over the years. 
 
1. Action Comics- Grant Morrison is telling a story of Superman when he first started out, and is portraying him in a way that's similar to him in the Golden Age when he was first coming out. He was rough, he was tough, he came in, beat the bad guy, scared the hell out of them, and threw them in jail, he wasn't looking to be an icon, he was just there to deliver justice, and that's just what he's doing in Action Comics. 
 

 
 
 
As you can see, Golden Age Superman wasn't the boy scout the Comic code wanted him to be. 
 
However, we do see the "normal" American hero type Superman in his own self titled title, he's more restrained, doesn't like killing and has more of a social conscious, I personally love the contrast between the two, and can't wait to see how he develops from the man he was in AC to the man he is in Superman
#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman: Even still GA Superman was a lot more violent than the Superman in AC.
#15 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@The Stegman: Even still GA Superman was a lot more violent than the Superman in AC.

He would probably have to be. While many modern Superman fans might not mind the character being a bit rougher, writing him to the point of him threatening to shoot or flat out murder criminals seems to be stepping over the line. I personally like the blend of Modern and Golden Age Superman that we see in early Action Comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.