Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Whatever Happened to Man of Tomorrow vs All Star Superman?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Which is the better story? Which is the better send off to Superman?

Personally, I think WHTTMOT is leagues ahead.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

All-Star for me.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This is a tough choice...

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JakeN7

All Star for sure

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I feel that WHTTMOT is more emotional but All-star is more diverse and rich.
    As a send off I think WHTTMOT did its job better but ASS was never a send off it was more of a tribute.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Bump.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I plead the fifth!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

All star.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that WHTTMOT is more emotional but All-star is more diverse and rich.

As a send off I think WHTTMOT did its job better but ASS was never a send off it was more of a tribute.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moore's got Morrison beat in this one. And he only needed two issues for comicdom's best sendoff, as opposed to twelve.

Besides, All-Star can be a little too wacky, no matter how intentional it is, which is off-putting for the average reader who might weigh the two comics.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allstar.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love both, but All Star is superior in my mind.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All-Star Superman isn't a sent off. So WHTtMoT wins by default. All-Star is a tribute to the silver age era and all of it's glorious silliness while still being a masterful story.

All-Star is a better story, though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@tikbaz said:

I love both, but All Star is superior in my mind.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHTtMOT was depressing for me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@sog7dc said:

WHTtMOT was depressing for me.

Really? I remember I was sad only in one or two scenes. The end was pretty cheerful.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I don't like the idea of Superman stopping being Superman. It's sad for me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon: I don't like the idea of Superman stopping being Superman. It's sad for me.

It is but on the other hand Clark always wanted a normal life :) and as he said, the world works fine even without Superman, he was arrogant to think otherwise.Plus it ended with a wink ;)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I disagree. I think Clark loves being Superman and using his abilities to help people. Yeah the world can work fine without Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Audie Murphy but i think it sure is nice having people like that around. At his core Superman is jus a good person doing good things. That's how I think Clark sees himself. These are just my opinions. I appreciate the writing in Moore's tale but I disagree with some of the precepts.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon: I disagree. I think Clark loves being Superman and using his abilities to help people. Yeah the world can work fine without Martin Luther King, Ghandi and Audie Murphy but i think it sure is nice having people like that around. At his core Superman is jus a good person doing good things. That's how I think Clark sees himself. These are just my opinions. I appreciate the writing in Moore's tale but I disagree with some of the precepts.

I don't disagree but I believe Superman knows that he can do good with all those powers and he does and even if he didn't have them, he would still do good but in other ways, like how in Up Up and away, he was an investigative reporter trying to take down intergang. Its not the powers that make him want to do good, it is his nature and he would still be good and a fighter for truth and justice.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: @squalleon:

Now that you guys mention it, I think that some of Clark's best character moments have always been when Clark feels that he wants to settle down and have a family. But his sense of duty and his moral compass won't let him.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Self-DCeit

@jogga said:

All-Star Superman isn't a sent off.

Superman gains a new power which he is then told is going to kill him in a year or so, and he decides to cross items off his bucket list, saving the day one final time in the end before moving on to another existence. That reads like a sendoff to me - that of the silly, Silver Age Superman as a concept, as opposed to the character in WHTMOT.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jogga

@self-dceit Well... Sure, the story was practically "Superman's Bucket List", but, at the same time, it wasn't. Superman never actually died, and when you finished the story it never really felt like it was over.

The story in general just highlights everything great about not only the Silver Age, but Superman.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: I like his character moments from Birthright and Allstar and Morrison's AC. When he's flying through Africa and playing with animals, when he admits he's a vegetarian because he loves animals, when he's eager to put together his uniform and when he's excited and inspired by Kobe Asuru to use his God given abilities to the fullest from Birthright. When his idea of a great birthday present for Lois is giving her a day with his powers. Clark knows that's a great gift because he enjoys his powers, they're awesome. I liked when he said that he's always wanted to kiss her on the moon with earth as a backdrop. I could go on and on but these are just my perceptions/opinions. I don't think Clark would ever want to stop being Superman. Sure I think he wants to settle down but I don't think that means giving up protecting and inspiring people.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MideonNViscera

All-Star is the only Superman anything I have ever bought. It's incredible. It makes you get Superman on a level nothing else ever did. It's heartbreaking but so optimistic at the same time. There's so many little touches that show that Superman truly is the greatest hero of them all, and I'd laugh in your face if you said that before.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

@self-dceit Well... Sure, the story was practically "Superman's Bucket List", but, at the same time, it wasn't. Superman never actually died, and when you finished the story it never really felt like it was over.

The story in general just highlights everything great about not only the Silver Age, but Superman.

I can understand that interpretation, but personally, I read it as a sendoff, as there was a measure of finality about it, with Superman not dying but moving on to a different type of existence and passing the torch.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Squalleon

@jogga said:

@sog7dc: @squalleon:

Now that you guys mention it, I think that some of Clark's best character moments have always been when Clark feels that he wants to settle down and have a family. But his sense of duty and his moral compass won't let him.

Indeed. At least three of my favorite stories have instances almost like these.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never care for all star, but I think that had to do with the art

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.