Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What we learned from the trailer?

• 106 results
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

So the trailer was leaked today and needless to say we got just enough info to know the vibe they are going for. It's not entirely known whether this takes place 2 years after MoS like the rumors suggested, but so far we have

1. Lex Luthor definitely does not like him (spoiler alert)
    2. I'm hoping the dude who said the line "Maybe he's just a guy trying to do the right thing" plays a part in this movie. It could just be some random commentator though.
    3. The media heavily questions his purpose and was mostly negative or skeptical (aside from the guy mentioned in the previous point), which I think mirrors our fear/sensationalist based news system.
    4. Superman is doing heroic things. We see him lifting something.
    5. A statue is built in his honor but is defaced by the anti-Superman groups (we assume)
    6. People worship and hate him. We see that SWAT team cops are bowing down to him.
    7. Clark does not seem to be enjoying this level of admiration.

Here's an image of what could be either admirers or people mocking him.

No Caption Provided

Not much I can gather from Batman though. If we took rumor and speculation into account, he must have lost Robin and after what happened in Metropolis he's on the edge. What created this conflict? Unfortunately (or better yet fortunately), we don't know.

What do you guys thinks is going to happen to our favorite Farmboy?

Update- Here's the whole thing in all it's glory!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JakeN7

I'm hoping the dude who said the line "Maybe he's just a guy trying to do the right thing" plays a part in this movie. It could just be some random commentator though.

By my ear, it sounds like Bradley Whitford.

It was short though, so I could be wrong. Has there been any buzz around him being part of the cast?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

The thing he's lifting has "Pockockmoc" written on it, which means it's a Roscosmos satellite. More vandalism of expensive equipment

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

I see where they are going with this.

They will have Batman beat him to show that he is not a "God".

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

8. There will be no proper villain who will pose a threat and instead were gonna see two mech suits one by batman and one by lex luthor and superman will hold back until they piss him off he punches batman, batman realises lex luthor is wrong they team up and fight luthor while superman doesn't need help he appreucates it. Then a cameo from both aquaman and wonder woman and khal drogo looks good but seeing a super skinny supermodel blocking the bullets with her bracers is fun but laughable-is this how you do it?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

By my ear, it sounds like Bradley Whitford.

It was short though, so I could be wrong. Has there been any buzz around him being part the cast?

None that I can find.

@saren said:

The thing he's lifting has "Pockockmoc" written on it, which means it's a Roscosmos satellite. Blah blah blah Batfleck is gonna kick Superman's butt

I thought so. I doubted it could be a regular car/truck considering Clark could flip those easily. Lex probably knocked down a satellite like he did in Red Son to test him.

I see where they are going with this.

They will have Batman beat him to show that he is not a "God".

That would imply a rather anticlimactic ending with Batgod saying it was all part of his plan to help out CLark or the both of them got together and schemed it, which would also be lame.

8. There will be no proper villain who will pose a threat and instead were gonna see two mech suits one by batman and one by lex luthor and superman will hold back until they piss him off he punches batman, batman realises lex luthor is wrong they team up and fight luthor while superman doesn't need help he appreucates it. Then a cameo from both aquaman and wonder woman and khal drogo looks good but seeing a super skinny supermodel blocking the bullets with her bracers is fun but laughable-is this how you do it?

So much negative speculation. No to all of that

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funnily enough, this will be the second time Neil Degrasse Tyson appears in the world of Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@squalleon: Right? The swat team kneeling to Superman is just so...ugh. I can't get excited for this. I have no faith that Superman is going to come out of this in a heroic manner.

It just looks like he needs some humble and Batman is going to be the one who does it.

At least he caught something and looked heroic in that one scene.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: bit like you on the DD threads and even in the flash reviews talking about DD :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: bit like you on the DD threads and even in the flash reviews talking about DD :P

You mean my light jabs that I admitted are comedic considering I only watched the first episode? Plus my comments were more mocking people bashing DCTV shows by quoting DD as the end all be all to CBTV shows

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Right? The swat team kneeling to Superman is just so...ugh. I can't get excited for this. I have no faith that Superman is going to come out of this in a heroic manner.

It just looks like he needs some humble and Batman is going to be the one who does it.

From the vibes I am getting, this movie seems to stick to the cliches made around Superman and try to "tear them down", showing that he is not another unbeatable god/savior. But in the end, I feel this movie will look bad for him, again. Because the casual audience won't get the whole point.

That would imply a rather anticlimactic ending with Batgod saying it was all part of his plan to help out CLark or the both of them got together and schemed it, which would also be lame.

True, but I am not expecting much either :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I know we disagree on whether Superman is enjoying the praises or not, but there's no way Batman started this fight.

The fight is on his turf, which means Superman is challenging him.

Batman seems like the vehicle in the trailer(we hear the fight from his perspective and Superman hovering over people is a clear cut sign that Superman is "looking down" on people.

I don't know, I hope I'm wrong. I've never hoped I'm so wrong on the history of this site, but it looks like TDKReturns IS going to play a major role in the story.

The way Superman comes across, the TDKReturns speech fits with the Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I hoped we would see Superman finally, but it looks like we never will under Snyder. =\

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

From the vibes I am getting, this movie seems to stick to the cliches made around Superman and try to "tear them down", showing that he is not another unbeatable god/savior. But in the end, I feel this movie will look bad for him, again. Because the casual audience won't get the whole point.

The casual audience refers to Superman as an over powered boring hero even if they never read a comic. I think they will get the point.

True, but I am not expecting much either :P

You need to start thinking from a writers perspective and see what the possibilities are. By not liking MoS or Snyder, you have a much more negative outlook and only see bad possibilities even though they don't make sense.

@saint_wildcard: I know we disagree on whether Superman is enjoying the praises or not, but there's no way Batman started this fight.

Answer this question then, if Superman truly loved getting praised, why keep moving after saving people in MoS? Why not just showboat and stay?

The fight is on his turf, which means Superman is challenging him.

Batman has a suit and a city block is rumored to be rigged with tech to fight Clark.

Batman seems like the vehicle in the trailer(we hear the fight from his perspective and Superman hovering over people is a clear cut sign that Superman is "looking down" on people.

I disagree, I see it as two stories that are going to merge in the end. We see Clark after what happened in a world that either hates or worships him. Batman is on the edge after what happened and is a lot more brutal. If Batman does win, I'm sure Superman does something to prove to Batman that he is good and trustworthy. And no, not by begging or doing something pathetic, Superman will do something to inspire him.

The way Superman comes across, the TDKReturns speech fits with the Superman.

The scenarios between BvS and TDKR are worlds apart, they can't be the same. The ending can't be the same.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes seem to be more experienced with powers, or it could just be angelic imagery used by directors

1. Battle forums will suck for a few weeks.
    2. We will have an influx of non comic reading batwankers spamming the board
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think Snyder could top the MoS trailers, but damn did he do it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But be forewarned SNyder, I loved MoS and loved the potential stories that can be explored in the sequel. This trailer seems to more or less confirm my predictions thereby increasing my expectations.

DON'T

F*CK

THIS

....UP!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The MoS trailer lied to me so I'm not going to pay much credence to this trailer.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@superguy1591 said:

The casual audience refers to Superman as an over powered boring hero even if they never read a comic. I think they will get the point.

I know that's why I said they will try to tear down those notions. But I believe they will fail to do it correctly, like they did with MoS.
    And we will end up with another mediocre movie that some will love and others will hate. Only this time some people will give it a complete pass because of Batman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I hoped we would see Superman finally, but it looks like we never will under Snyder. =\

Look, I don't want to go in prejudiced on this movie. But if MoS showed me something, is that Snyder and Goyer can't handle grandeur, concepts...subtly. Yes, Terrio came and he could be an improvement. But I prefer to go in with a negative mind and find it enjoyable than be hyped and get disappointed. (That answers @saint_wildcard's comment too).

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: fodder if she even fights, i reckon she'll be init for 5 minutes screen time max

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Archizooom

Well I for one am Super pumped about this movie and judging from Superman's face (he looks distressed) he's not enjoying the current status quo. Batman's clearly the aggressor while Superman's had the reception his father said he would. Every new Era is preluded by a crisis, I'm glad they went this route

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kfabz-23
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I... I don't like it. I loved MOS. I really did. But this isn't looking great. Don't get me wrong I love the saviour/destroyer angle they're going for but I hate that they're painting Superman to be antagonist. I want to see him doing a few heroic things before he gets beaten up in his own damn sequel. Affleck is gonna be a fine Batman, I've got no reservations there. Cavil is still a great Superman, I just hope he gets more lines. But this has really put me down. I'll still see the film and I'm sure my opinion will change but at the moment I'm not impressed. And that makes me sad. Maybe the CV air is affecting me.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jogga

One of the best parts of the movie trailer is when Jeremy Irons is talking to Bruce. He's talking about how the feeling of powerlessness makes good men cruel. The thing is... We don't know WHO he is talking about. Maybe it's Lex Luthor, maybe it's Superman, or maybe... just maybe, he's talking about Bruce himself.

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
    Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dat line at the end though

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an observation I made but Superman kind of looks tired in some if the scenes. As if he's been working over time to earn Earth's trust.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Batman is going to kick Superman's @$$.. joking

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Batman is (now) cruel

- Batman initiates the fight (takes place in Gotham and Batman is already suited up)

- The public is divided on Superman (just like comic fans were divided on MoS)

- The haters are more vocal and extreme (tearing down his statue, fear mongering -- probably a jab at MoS haters lol)

- I doubt Batman is the good guy in the eyes of the public

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was someone who said that they should thin about what he should do rather than what can he do IIRC

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We learnt that it's awesome

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: this isn't a sequel, it follows up MOS with Batman and Superman both as a lead pov characters. It's officially been painted as a follow up and not a direct sequel. Calling this a sequel of MOS is calling AOU a sequel of TWS.

And we don't know what the plot line is, assuming Superman will be doing a few hero things in the beginning of movie and it'll end up by him getting beat down by Batman is just assumption. They're going this route of whether Superman is hero or not just to end up him wrongfully fighting Batman and get beat up would be worst plot ever. This isn't Batman movie and they can't have audiences coming out of theatre with same debate in their mind as they all went in with, that'd be just poor execution. MOS was a perfect origin for Superman in modern world and Snyder set it up well with whole world debating is Superman good or not and with this movie he'll establish that Superman is good and he is needed. He is a savior, not a guy with godlike powers who would do as he please but a guy with great power who's trying to do the right thing and you can rely on him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathfalcon182: I agree with you. I just need to see more of Superman acting like the saviour before he gets beaten up. That's all I really want. I don't really care if gets beaten up. I mean I do but I'm expecting it. I just want him to either save a plane or a bus of people. Something truly epic. And I hope that the fight isn't one sided and he gets a good punch in here and there. Like I said I'm still hotly anticipating it. I'll be there opening night as well.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: yeah, i hope they finally establish him as a hero by the end of the movie which is the bigger goal of this movie unless Snyder is retarded or biggest Batman fanboy and legitimately hates Superman.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman looks like he is hanging out at a Di'a de Muertos festival in that picture......fitting seeing as how that character is just surrounded by death all the time.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that's why I said they will try to tear down those notions. But I believe they will fail to do it correctly, like they did with MoS.

And we will end up with another mediocre movie that some will love and others will hate. Only this time some people will give it a complete pass because of Batman.

*see that the phrase IMO is not typed with such broad generalizations*

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an observation I made but Superman kind of looks tired in some if the scenes. As if he's been working over time to earn Earth's trust.

That was one of the rumors a while ago.

@rustyroy said:

That Batman is going to kick Superman's @$$.. joking

south park gif animated GIF

@kfabz-23 said:

We learnt that it's awesome

Feel that sweet hype

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: it's not MoS' sequel if that makes you feel better. It's a World's Finest movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: World's finest would be a better title. But we'll see. Personally I'd've liked it to be based on the public enemies story but that's a story for a already established superman and batman friendship.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Archizooom

@soldierofel said:

@deathfalcon182: I agree with you. I just need to see more of Superman acting like the saviour before he gets beaten up. That's all I really want. I don't really care if gets beaten up. I mean I do but I'm expecting it. I just want him to either save a plane or a bus of people. Something truly epic. And I hope that the fight isn't one sided and he gets a good punch in here and there. Like I said I'm still hotly anticipating it. I'll be there opening night as well.

The thing is though, why they feel so threatened by Superman if they've got technology ready-to-go with which to defeat him? The film's premise sort of defeats itself.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

You hate but its true :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

If I thought it was true, I would debate it. See no point in it really.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

If I thought it was true, I would debate it. See no point in it really.

Huh, that made no sense.... *shrugs*

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All I want as a gif of Superman breaking Batman's back and spam it on every batman vs superman or any anti superman threads

SamRF_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SamRF_

I think batman is going to be the "less" heroic one here. They said: 'The feeling of powerlessness can turn even a good man cruel'.

And you see batman when it's being said.

So i think there's hope, batman might be the one that gets his ass kicked.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzylittlerodent: the only gif you'll get is Superman bowing down to Batman after the beating he gets.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't very impressed with the trailer. And I wonder what has batman so determined to even fight him.

Panthers8901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is relying on the fact that superman won't actually hurt him because he could just shoot lazers at his face that is uncovered or freeze his entire body or throw him into space or a million other ways he could kill him

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.