Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What stories should I read?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

I've already read for tomorrow, earth one, all star and red son. I'm

Wondering what other great superman stories I should check out?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@sog7dc: Superman Brainiac, Kingdom Come (not a Superman story but it's pretty much centered on him), The Death of Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?, For the Man Who Has Everything, Superman: Secret Identity.

These are all classics and worth checking out.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: whoa there are new than I thought thanks a bunch

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Kingdom Come, Birthright, Death of Superman (Okay its not an exceptionally great story but I like it)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You did a great job on that list btw. You hurt my wallet but a great job nonetheless lol

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By batmannflash

@sog7dc: he didn't put Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek. It's one of the most famous Superman stories. It's non-canon, about a world where superheroes don't actually exist and Superman is just in the comic books (like our world). There is coincidentally a Kansas farm boy named Clark Kent who people joke is Superman in the comics. He then finds out he can fly and the jokes are pretty accurate. And well....you can read the rest!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: i agree with @batmannflash: Secret identity is great.I forgot about secret identity it must be added t the list right away.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Durakken

Whatever you do... mid 80s to early 90s superman is something that should be mostly skipped... It's almost all badly written and wears on you. So if noone suggest anything from that era I'd suggest trying to avoid it when picking up TPB randomly...

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@durakken said:

Whatever you do... mid 80s to early 90s superman is something that should be mostly skipped... It's almost all badly written and wears on you. So if noone suggest anything from that era I'd suggest trying to avoid it when picking up TPB randomly...

Whatever you do... don't listen to this.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lolzstastic said:

@durakken said:

have you read any of it recently? I tried to read it, but it was just sooo bad that it wore me down right as I was getting into better written books (after doomsday... before the Lois/Clark marriage). I'm not saying everything from that era was bad, but a majority of Superman books of that time were just grating with too much dialog, too little story, cheesy stories, bad art, etc...

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@lolzstastic said:

@durakken said:

have you read any of it recently? I tried to read it, but it was just sooo bad that it wore me down right as I was getting into better written books (after doomsday... before the Lois/Clark marriage). I'm not saying everything from that era was bad, but a majority of Superman books of that time were just grating with too much dialog, too little story, cheesy stories, bad art, etc...

Right. Worse than Electric Superman. Worse than the Futuresmiths. Worse than Grounded. Worse than the New 52 work from Perez and Jurgens. Worse than the bazillion uninspired elseworlds out there.

OK.

ANd bad art? Byrne is bad? Ordway is bad? Da fuq?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lolzstastic: Grammar is important, you know?

What I read is for the most part worse than the new52 stuff and in particular worse than the Batman stuff of the same era and worse than most any comic I've read. I'm not saying it's all bad and I'm not saying the stories are fundamentally worse. I'm saying the writing is terrible for a lot of it. Wordy as all hell. And the art is mediocre to just bad, though it was probably ok or good for back then.

I think you might be projecting how you felt then as to the reality of the situation. i don't have those feelings because I've only recently tried to read them and they weren't very good based on my more present day sensibilities, especially given that it simply doesn't hold up as well as just about anything else i've read from that era.

You can disagree and you can say that stuff after The Death and Return of Superman got worse, but that's not a compliment to the stuff before. It just means the quality got worse. You'd have to convince me that what I read is better than what I think of it now and I don't think that's possible.

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: Uh-huh. You got the point I was trying to get across, that's all that matters. There's a very true saying out there that whenever two people are discussing something on the Internet the most insecure one will start pointing out grammar flaws out of nowhere that most of the time have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Anyway, if you really think any of those stories was worse than the New 52 this argument is pretty much over. Funny that most of your criticism comes from that "the writing is wordy" and such vague statements like the stories were "cheesy". And no, the art is not mediocre by today's standards, anyone who says that classic John Byrne is bad or even mediocre is out of their minds, simple as that. I never read these stories under any special circumstances considering I was born years after they were written. I was a teenager living in the early 2000's when I first got my hands in them so I already knew how different today's offerings were.

Why would I ever need to convince you of anything? You seem pretty hellbent on your ideas, trying to change them would be a fool's errand. I've already come to terms with the fact people have different preferences, even though some of those are pretty incomprehensible. The biggest reason I disagreed was because plenty of those stories are considered classics nowadays, I'd be the same if someone suggested that he better skip Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow or Birthright, they're not in the same level but they're still classics.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lolzstastic: I pointed it out because I don't know whether you mean those are good or bad comics...

Again I didn't say stories. I said the writing was bad and the art was generally bad. I just looked at Issue 600 of Action and 425 of Adventures of Superman. That's Marv Wolfman and John Byrne. Each and every page for the most part is a wall of text, and not very good text at that.

Yes there are some good stories. Yes there are some well written stories, but that wasn't my point. I said "unless they are recommended to you" ie unless someone else they're good, then assume that they aren't good enough to read. For example. You are recommending Birthright... I'm not telling him not to read Birthright. I'm tell him to avoid everything else, unless you recommend those things specifically. This is my opinion and I can tell you where this opinion came from... And that is every Superman related title that occurred between issues 584 and 700 of Action Comics or between Jan '87 and Jun '94.

Even if I didn't consider it bad for the time, I'd still recommend stay away from it less recommended simply because if you're new to comics you quickly get the thought of "why am I reading this... If I wanted to read a book I'd go read a flippin book" It's not a very good set of comics, even if you consider them good, to generally read if you're more used to a style that isn't wordy... like just about every other comic out there. Even if you like wordy I found myself times being quite annoyed with text going something like "I should use my super breath to stop that fire" "My super breath's working!" "Good thing I put out the fire now I can go to the party" It doesn't do it all the time but it does it enough.

Also I'm talking all Superman titles I've read, not just a few. Ordway, looking over a few issues... It's probably above par for the era. (ie pretty good, but not great) Compared to more modern art it's mediocre... Compared to 90s art is great. It just depends on what you are comparing it to.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOG7dc

Anybody know where that scan of superman fighting an older version of himself comes from? I think it said they were punching holes in reality when they fought. I wanna read that!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.