Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What powers should supes gain over time?

• 136 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@cameron83:

Sons character that can literally do anything he wants isn't op but superman is? That's kinda stupid

We know he's basically superman+telepathy+shapeshifting+intangibility

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By SOG7dc

@cameron83: Thor hasn't displayed any weakness to magic in marvel now. And captain marvel is immature yet has "the wisdom of Solomon"?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@maccyd:

Martian Manhunter now views fire like some psychological discomfort, not really weakness. Plus I forgot last time when I see magic hurting him or affecting in some way, which sadly I can’t say about Supes. So in 52-Universe he pretty much have all Superman’s abilities, plus shape shifting, phasing, invisibility, telepathic and telekinetic abilities with no actual weakness. And people say Superman overpowered.

Sentry had what in my opinion personality disorder. It’s a character trait, not a weakness. He was always described as not having physical any weaknesses, which he proved on many occasions.

About Thor… Don’t agree with you on that.

About Shazam and Hyperion. You nailed it. They have 1-2 weaknesses, then why Superman have whole bunch of them? Let writers erase some of them, mainly kryptonite and telepathic.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83:

Sons character that can literally do anything he wants isn't op but superman is? That's kinda stupid

We know he's basically superman+telepathy+shapeshifting+intangibility

I don't know what the bold part says. It's not you,I just don't know what you're saying.

And yes,I DEFINITELY consider MM overpowered. I mean,I guess since he has a basic weakness that that's something,but I wanna see more of him in the new 52. But yeah,I agree. You forgot about invisibility.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd:

Thor is not average without mjolnir an he has demonstrated this multiple times

MM hasn't displayed any weakness to mystic fire in the new 52

Those things for shazam barely constitute A's weaknesses considering kryptonite kills superman just by being in his presence and red sun radiation turns him

Into a human instantly

And no. Arrogance is not a weakness f any sort

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83: Thor hasn't displayed any weakness to magic in marvel now. And captain marvel is immature yet has "the wisdom of Solomon"?

Marvel NOW isn't a reboot. So most everything in the past should still be canon.

And if not,he has still shown to be affected by Gorr's stabbing thingys.

You DO realize that he has the mind of a child. I mean,having the Wisdom of Solomon doesn't mean that he is mature or that he can't be manipulated.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sog7dc: Wow red kryptonite turning Superman into a human is a weakness yet a high volt turning Shazam into a child isn't? You're a bit biased.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@maccyd:

Thor is not average without mjolnir an he has demonstrated this multiple times

MM hasn't displayed any weakness to mystic fire in the new 52

Those things for shazam barely constitute A's weaknesses considering kryptonite kills superman just by being in his presence and red sun radiation turns him

Into a human instantly

And no. Arrogance is not a weakness f any sort

I think I've already told you about Thor.

I don't know about MM in the new 52 since we haven't seen enough of him.

And correct. Arrogance is not a weakness but it IS a flaw. One that can easily be manipulated.

I think Mr Majestic is far too overpowered. In fact,it's painful. I hate how most Wildstorm characters are like that. They are just unoriginal,overpowered versions of already popular characters. They even try to rocket-up their power levels to try and make them seem more powerful. And many threats they face are just rip-offs of popular characters.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I've never seen high voltage other than his own "shazam"

Lightening turn him

Into a kid

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MakkyD

@cameron83: Thor is by no means useless without Mjolnir, but is nowhere near Superman without it. He only has durability, strength and weapons skills without Mjolnir.

@sog7dc: Other users have agreed with me and it is on every wikia I find, do you need more proof that I'm telling the truth.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Unless I see proof I can't believe it. And the still has weather control without mjolnir

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By cameron83

@sog7dc said:

@maccyd: Unless I see proof I can't believe it. And the still has weather control without mjolnir

I am not saying that you are wrong or that he doesn't,but where do you see this?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MakkyD

@sog7dc: That is Mjolnir's main ability...

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SOG7dc

@cameron83: In Thor god of thunder I think (issue 5?) the younger version of Thor before he even got mjolnir and was weakened from

Being tortured by gorr made it rain fire

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Interesting, it actually only amplifies his weather control, but you are reading the gorr arc and still complain he is OP.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By cameron83

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83: In Thor god of thunder I think (issue 5?) the younger version of Thor before he even got mjolnir and was weakened from

Being tortured by gorr made it rain fire

Btw,do you read Thor God of Thunder?

I mean,this is my last Thor related question and then we go back to Superman,but:

What is Gorr? Is he an Alien?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SOG7dc

@maccyd: Thor made it rain fire before he even had mjolnir....he did it in Thor:god of thunder issue 8

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SOG7dc

@cameron83: Yeah I read it (btw it was issue 8 that he made it rain fire without mjolnir not 5) andmy theory is that Gorr

Is an alien from a god forsaken planet (literally) and he grew to not believe in gods. Then one day two gods were fighting and fell to his planet then he grew angry because they never answered any prayers. So after the two gods killed eachother he role their power (a power thats still very mysterious in nature other than he is extremely powerful) and went on a rampage to kill all gods. So I think gore is essentially a demigod himself now

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Yes..I'm agreeing with you. Just remembered a weakness: telepathy/manipulation as seen in Uncanny Avenger's first arc.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83: Yeah I read it (btw it was issue 8 that he made it rain fire without mjolnir not 5) andmy theory is that Gorr

Is an alien from a god forsaken planet (literally) and he grew to not believe in gods. Then one day two gods were fighting and fell to his planet then he grew angry because they never answered any prayers. So after the two gods killed eachother he role their power (a power thats still very mysterious in nature other than he is extremely powerful) and went on a rampage to kill all gods. So I think gore is essentially a demigod himself now

Hm. Very interesting theory.

Also,are you reading Batman/Superman?

It's been good so far. I don't really like how Batman's name is first,but that's most likely to distance it from the other book and make it distinct. Although I loved the other book because of their friendship and the artist and (most) of the writing.

Hopefully we will see that sooner or later.

Darkseid is appearing in the next issue (I think,since he is on the cover):

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47058

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I haven't read that. I'll take your word for it but let's take a moment to describe "weakness":

Kryptonite is a weakness because supes can't even look at the stuff without being effected

Red sun is a weakness because it immediately takes all his power away

Magic is SUPPOSED to be only a vulnerability but it written as a weakness as it renders superman helpless.

Spill grant that highvoltagw is a weakness for Billy because it immediately effects him and he has no defense against it.

So that's what a weakness is- something that a particular character has no defense against. Peircing weapons for WW do not qualify as a weakness because she has defenses against them

Because of her skill and power. Would you say bullets are a weakness for batman? No but they are a vulnerability. So WW has no weakness because she doesn't die in the presence of a peircing weapon and try don't render her helpless

Either. You get what I'm saying?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@maccyd: I haven't read that. I'll take your word for it but let's take a moment to describe "weakness":

Kryptonite is a weakness because supes can't even look at the stuff without being effected

Red sun is a weakness because it immediately takes all his power away

Magic is SUPPOSED to be only a vulnerability but it written as a weakness as it renders superman helpless.

Spill grant that highvoltagw is a weakness for Billy because it immediately effects him and he has no defense against it.

So that's what a weakness is- something that a particular character has no defense against. Peircing weapons for WW do not qualify as a weakness because she has defenses against them

Because of her skill and power. Would you say bullets are a weakness for batman? No but they are a vulnerability. So WW has no weakness because she doesn't die in the presence of a peircing weapon and try don't render her helpless

Either. You get what I'm saying?

I agree with most of what you said,but piercing weapons would count as a vulnerability for Wonder Woman. I mean,they have shown effective against her in the past and if she is stabbed in the heart or any vital spot she should die. I mean,sure she has the reflexes and speed to block them with her bracelets,but it is still possible to get her with them. It's not impossible. I mean,shooting her in a straight confrontation would mean nothing because she would block it,but if she is taken by surprise she can be killed by it being that she wouldn't be expecting it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Btw thats all backed up in an issue of Thor lol I didn't just make it up. And yeah I'm loving superman/batman. The art isn't my cup of tea but I'm loving the story so far.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83: Btw thats all backed up in an issue of Thor lol I didn't just make it up. And yeah I'm loving superman/batman. The art isn't my cup of tea but I'm loving the story so far.

lol I trust you anyway.

It's a great book. Jae Lee is not a bad artist,but I don't exactly think that it really fits...and it's not really my cup of tea,either....

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SOG7dc

@cameron83: Yeah I totally agree with that. I cruelly meant to put it in that post. I don't think they are a weakness but they are a vulnerability (a silly one because the woman can take a punch from the sun to earth from superman but if you catch her slippin with your 9 you canput her down)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Yeah I think it's pretty but it doesn't suite superman and batman. I'm actually hoping Brett booth takes over eventually

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

I don't really want him to gain new powers. IMO, I hate sun dipping too. It's a very cheap power boost. It seems to me like his cells should only be able to absorb so much radiation before they are full. I don't think their should be an infinite amount of radiation his cells can hold and an infinite amount of power he can gain. If he sun dipped, his powers should increase to an extent, that makes sense, but their should be a limit. The amount of time he spends doing it should not matter either. If he completely saturates himself with solar radiation, his body should drink it in almost instantly and he should be "full" and at his maximum potential. The whole superman prime 1 million I thought was dumb.

I prefer when he has the generic powers people think of when they think of Super Heroes. He is the iconic super hero, and doesn't need more powers to make him more interesting. His character is what really makes him interesting and when more powers are added or increased, I feel like it just makes him gimmicky. That's just my opinion though, but I understand that people like something new and fresh added to their favorite characters from time to time. I prefer story changes to power increases for the most part though. There are a few instances where I thought a power increase was what a character needed, but they are few and far between.

My god I hate the sun dipping thing. It seems like such a cop-out. Its like "Oh no Superman is dying, DON'T WORRY! We'll have him fly all the way to the sun in 2 panels have him completely healed up and more powerful than ever in a second!"

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've seen some of his potential in H'EL......

Telekinesis(something we've seen in Superboy as well), telepathy-h'el was able to manipulate Kara telepathically and Very powerful teleportation powers (dont know what f'ed up radiations H'el came across in space which empowered him that way though.)

to me the first two seem logical telepathy cuz u kno superman-super brain it goes. Teleportation was weird though thats why the f'ed up radiations comment.

and apparently according to Scott Snyder, Wraith is gonna school Supes on his potential too so im looking forward to that.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: When is wraith doing that? Keep hearing about it for while and thought it was already done. Don't read Superman Unchained btw.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hardcorefakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By hardcorefakes

Telepathy....and the ability to freeze time. That would be awesome for Supes.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By dum529001

He does not need new powers. He's the generic superhero. He's has enough. If you want more powers then tune into other superheroes. Superman isn't supposed to have everything.

Superman's powers are:

A. Super-strength (super-speed is a requrement for super-strength. Super-durabilty ties into all this in order keep the body from breaking under such great forces)

B. Flight

C. X-ray, microscopic and telescopic vision(great perception of the em-spectrum, able to see light years way and on the subatomic scale as well) and heat vison (generating an emission of highly charged particles with his eyes).

End of Discussion.

Avatar image for thewhitelantern
    TheWhiteLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being able to store and emit the suns' light/radiation when he choses

(although that may already happen through his eyes)More control over his own mind, so he could defend against mental and psychic attacks.

Lose his vulnerability to kryptonite, but not magic. Overall gain speed, strength, and durability.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By RDClip

Well obviously brick-laying vision

Loading Video...

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SOG7dc

@dum529001: well

Superman will gain new powers over time from being under yellow sun radiation. Smp1m is proof of that. I'm

Just asking what powers are a logical upgrade. And regardless of if you agree he will get new powers he will certainly become exceedingly more powerful. H'el is proof of that and so is the superman we saw in the first few issues of action vs. The superman we see now.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll second telekinesis. Perhaps some variation of telepathy. "Logically" his powers have to be psionic/mental in nature (just subconsciously activated), so it makes sense that eventually he'd develop some "active" ones (rather than passive).

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mary_goode_946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd hold off on giving him more superpowers. The guy that has no vulnerabilities at all is not a very interesting character if he thus can have no challengers. That being said, if I had my way, I would give him the one power that has eluded him for a long time since the storyline usually gets dropped before it goes anywhere-Super Dad....

CK : Lois, honey, wake up!

LL: No Clark, it's late. I wanna sleep and you're hogging the blanket.

CK: No I'm not, but you'd better open your eyes.

LL: Clark, if this is about you having to go to Japan again to deal with an earthquake, I swear I'll-

CK: Baby, open your eyes NOW. You are floating outside the window about 70 feet above the ground and you are getting snowed on!

Lois looks around to realize she's in her nightgown and starts dropping like a stone. Clark, checking to see that nobody's on the street in the alley, uses his super speed to catch her before she hits the pavement.

CK: Are you alright? You aren't hurt, are you? I thought I saw you scratch the fire escape and I can get you some iodine.

LL:( Beaming) Clark, don't you realize how wonderful this is?

CK: You are cold. You must have been out here longer than we realized-

LL: Clark, I am fine. (Presses hand to swollen stomach) Both of us are fine, and the fact that I floated at all should tell you that everything we've hoped for for so long is doing well.

Baby kicks with an audible pop, but it has no effect on its mother. Clark smiles as he sees the tiny lump appear, and kisses his wife.

LL: Come on. I'll help you bolt the window shut this time.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By HeWhoSees

@sog7dc said:

@thundergodswrath: Are you joking?

Ah come on dude! Don't tell me you never read Alex Ross's JUSTICE!

Look at this and TELL ME it isn't awesome!

No Caption Provided

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: Cause he doesn't really need more powers.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#100  Edited By AssertingValor

He should gain a higher level of intelligence

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.