Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What powers should supes gain over time?

• 136 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

We all know that eventually superman will become superman prime one million but my question is what powers should he logically gain? Rather than just arbitrary powers to make him a demigod what are logical powers that superman would gain over prolonged exposure to yellow sun radiation? Obviously he will get stronger faster and his heat vision freeze breath superbreath and senses will all be intensified but what other powers do you think he should gain?

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ability to sell more comics than Batman...I'm hoping Superman Unchained will do that :)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbatdog: Lol I love both and hope thu both continue to get better over time. But seriously what do you think

About my question?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By batmannflash

@enzeru said:

Telekinesis, since he should already subconsciously have it - otherwise all of the large objects he is lifting would collapse under their own weight.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should probably gain that explosive solar discharge ability of Supergirl's at some point. Maybe gain the ability to expand his invulnerability field (like in All Star Superman) to create force fields. We've already seen in Unchained that he can change his X-Ray Vision to Gamma Rays. Maybe he could gain the ability to change his heat vision to freeze vision (which is cooler than freeze breath, in more ways than one).

Over time, maybe gradual telekinesis? His body's constantly getting stronger, why not his mind as well, granting mental abilities?

And yes, I'm aware just one of these would make him even more overpowered than he already is.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SOG7dc

@jonsmith: I don't believe he's OP but then again "OP" is subjective.

And his weaknesses should lose their effect on him

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Prep and fanboys

Avatar image for spidermanandsuperman
    spidermanandsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: pico second reaction time so that he can beat flash

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By New_World_Order

Set his entire body on fire like the Human Torch.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidermanandsuperman: Eeeeehhh idk about that. If superman ever becomes faster than flash then flash becomes a pointless character..but logically speaking yeah he would eventually become faster. But then again he could never use that speed on earth because he'd destroy the universe because he has no speed force

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath: Oh ok. You know how it is on the Internet. You can't read inflections lol.

Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Epicbeast3000

Ability to shoot energy blasts like Goku(don't start a dbz thingy) or Silver Surfer.

Avatar image for thedarklordpandamonium
    Thedarklordpandamonium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzeru:

Various writers have given him Tactile Telekinesis which is what you're talking about

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely none. What is this?

Cr4pSnip3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to? Em... probably give him the ability to heat up his own body. If he can survive in the sun, he can heat up his body. To the point where, for some, it becomes too much to touch him. I think he's pretty good where he's at, to be honest.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RBT

None. He is already overpowered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
    deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Flight

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

How is he overpowered?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really want him to gain new powers. IMO, I hate sun dipping too. It's a very cheap power boost. It seems to me like his cells should only be able to absorb so much radiation before they are full. I don't think their should be an infinite amount of radiation his cells can hold and an infinite amount of power he can gain. If he sun dipped, his powers should increase to an extent, that makes sense, but their should be a limit. The amount of time he spends doing it should not matter either. If he completely saturates himself with solar radiation, his body should drink it in almost instantly and he should be "full" and at his maximum potential. The whole superman prime 1 million I thought was dumb.

I prefer when he has the generic powers people think of when they think of Super Heroes. He is the iconic super hero, and doesn't need more powers to make him more interesting. His character is what really makes him interesting and when more powers are added or increased, I feel like it just makes him gimmicky. That's just my opinion though, but I understand that people like something new and fresh added to their favorite characters from time to time. I prefer story changes to power increases for the most part though. There are a few instances where I thought a power increase was what a character needed, but they are few and far between.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Though I disagree with what you say I'll defend to the death your right to say it

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He already has enough powers. This is why he's a tough sell in the first place.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By MakkyD

More weaknesses.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I'm sorry but to me that's bull. When you have guys like mr majestic, sentry, Martin manhunter, tge flash, captain marvel, Thor and Hyperion selling comics then how can superman be OP because :

A) he is the only hero in that power bracket with even one weakness and

B) I could lust over a dozen people with supermans powers plus extra stuff and Boone complains about those guys (and girls) being OP

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see him developing tactile telekinesis, like Superboy in Pre-52 Universe.

Then overall increasing his already existing abilities, like in Kingdome Come: stronger, durable and faster than before, plus getting resistance to kryptonite (most lame weakness from all existing ).

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Okay then, stick with your super speed, super strength, invulnerability and various radiation and frost abilities just to top it all off.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By cameron83

I...don't think he should develop any more powers. I think that he is already amped up with all of his current powers to unbelievable levels. I mean,things like him having sonar and such I can accept because it seems to just be an extension of his hearing,but a whole new power itself,I don't...I don't think he should have any more and I don't want him to really have any more.

I mean,the powers he has already are part of his character and should stay. It's like Wonder Woman gaining telepathy. It's not really part of her character (at all) and/or powerset and should not be added. Or her discovering that a greek god gifted her with the ability to control and manipulate fire. If anything,it just seems gimmicky.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: But that's not part of WW character. It's Aleah been part if supermans Mythos that the longer he absorb yellow sun radiation the stronger and more powerful he becomes. So it's logical that overtime he will gain new powers. SMP1M is proof of this.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SandMan_

He is fine with his current power level...Just more consistency please.

@rbt said:

Uhh...This isn't SA Superman.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Martian Manhunter, Mr Majestic, Shazam and Hyperion don't have solo books so that theory is out the window. Flash has been toned down an is nowhere near Wally's level of power pre 52. What you are left with is Thor and most people seem to think Superman kicks his ass. So I'm not sure why you think he needs more powers. Hell, Lobdell had him benching the earth for Christs sakes. How much more powerful do you want him to be?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: You know most, if not all of the characters you mentioned earlier have weaknesses?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@sog7dc: Okay then, stick with your super speed, super strength, invulnerability and various radiation and frost abilities just to top it all off.

Yeah. I mean,Superman is one of the only characters in fiction that sorta needs a specific weakness,because if your not homo magi,or you aren't at his level in abilities or you don't have access to a red sun,then you can't really beat him besides getting Kryptonite.

I mean,a character doesn't exactly need a specific weakness if they are susceptible to other attacks. For example,Batman doesn't have a specific weakness,but he is still susceptible to bullets/blades,etc....

For Superman,though,I think he needs the kryptonite thing. I mean,he is already incredibly powerful in all levels in his current powerset.

Basically I am saying that Superman needs weaknesses like Kryptonite and red sun radiation,and I like them. However,other characters don't exactly need specific weaknesses. My thoughts are kinda scattered.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SOG7dc

@maccyd: Oh really? Care to list them?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: That's besides the point though. Because they don't have solos (which most people actually think they should have) they're not OP like superman? And that doesn't change that growing in powers and honing new ones is a part of supermans Mythos.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MakkyD

@sog7dc: Martian Manhunter-magic fire

Sentry-Manipulation, Mind Control, Mental instability

The Flash-normal human strength, Captain cold's power

Thor-Not intelligent, not actually very powerful without mjolnir

Hyperionn-argonite radiation

Shazam-High voltage, Magic, as Billy Batson

Captain Atom-Overuse of power causes his body to break down at molecular level and most of his powers strain him.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83: But that's not part of WW character. It's Aleah been part if supermans Mythos that the longer he absorb yellow sun radiation the stronger and more powerful he becomes. So it's logical that overtime he will gain new powers. SMP1M is proof of this.

I know that's not part of her character,that's the point.

And he gets stronger when in radiation of the sun (btw,I agree with what someone said regarding his cells not being able to store infinite power and such) but since when did that mean that he gains new powers?

I mean,bathing in the sun over time doesn't mean that eventually he will get new powers. If he got stronger,then fine. But I don't believe that he "gets new powers". If he does,then I am officially done with Superman. If that is the case,then he is the epitome of Overpowered.

And btw,I am not even sure that Superman 1 million is even canon anymore.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: No offense,but I don't think that you know anything about any of those characters if you think that they don't have a weakness....

@maccyd said:

@sog7dc: Martian Manhunter-magic fire

Sentry-Manipulation, Mind Control, Mental instability

The Flash-normal human strength, Captain cold's power

Thor-Not intelligent, not actually very powerful without mjolnir

Hyperionn-argonite radiation

Shazam-High voltage, Magic, as Billy Batson

Captain Atom-Overuse of power causes his body to break down at molecular level and most of his powers strain him.

this.

Well actually Thor is very intelligent and such,and he is not AS powerful with mjolnir. But he is susceptible to high-level magic and wolverine's claws have shown able to scratch his skin whereas They wouldn't pierce Superman's skin.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bigtewell

speed thinking like flash has and maybe some sort of awareness like marvels captainj marvel had. not as powerful but enough to help him be aware of everything on earth

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd:

Martian manhunters ha been retconned

Sentry has telepathy and I've never seen him be mind controlled and mental instability turns him into the void. So his weakness makes him stronger?

I don't see how any of that constitutes A's a "weakness" for flash but ok

Really? That's Thors weakness? That's not a weakness.

I'll grant you Hyperion

Never seen that in practice for shazam. Scans?

And I've never seen that in practice either but I'll take your word for it s this one sounds logical

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Epitome of OP? you ever heard of silver surfer? Martian manhunter? And you're right we dint know if SMP1M is canon any more. But that whole thing about his cells only being able to absorb a certain amount? I hate it. Lol everybody has their own opinion but I think that sucks. I don't see how people think superman Is op. He has spool many weaknesses that give him an Achilles heel I don't see how people think he is op

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@cameron83: Epitome of OP? you ever heard of silver surfer? Martian manhunter? And you're right we dint know if SMP1M is canon any more. But that whole thing about his cells only being able to absorb a certain amount? I hate it. Lol everybody has their own opinion but I think that sucks. I don't see how people think superman Is op. He has spool many weaknesses that give him an Achilles heel I don't see how people think he is op

Having a weakness doesn't mean that you're not overpowered.

And Silver Surfer is a cosmic being given his powers by a cosmic force of the universe....so to call him overpowered is kinda stupid. He is not a hero of/from earth.

Martian Manhunter...we don't exactly know a whole helluva lot about.

People think he is overpowered because his level of his powers is super-amped up. I mean,I WANT Superman to be powerful (and him being able to lift the weight of the Earth is fine by me),but him being able to lift the weight of the Earth for 5 days straight while not even at his best is just frickin stupid to me. It's too much. It is beyond overpowered.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Flash's powers are negated around Captain Cold, that's a weakness.

Sentry can be still be manipulated easily without turning into the void.

Thor is pretty average for a superhuman without Mjolnir.

MM weakness to normal fire has been retconned but is still vulnerable to mystic fire.

Used wikia for Shazam, though it turns him back into Billy Batson and also found silencing Billy's voice is another weakness.

I couldn't find any weaknesses for Mr Majestic unless you count his arrogance and cockiness as one.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@maccyd:

Martian manhunters ha been retconned

Sentry has telepathy and I've never seen him be mind controlled and mental instability turns him into the void. So his weakness makes him stronger?

I don't see how any of that constitutes A's a "weakness" for flash but ok

Really? That's Thors weakness? That's not a weakness.

I'll grant you Hyperion

Never seen that in practice for shazam. Scans?

And I've never seen that in practice either but I'll take your word for it s this one sounds logical

Sentry constantly fights the Void and he can easily be manipulated into turning into The Void. Something that he constantly fights. He can be manipulated.

Thor has a weakness to high-level magic and I am pretty sure he has something with a hammer. Let me check...And I believe he has a vulnerability to certain piercing weapons,being that Gorr was capable of stabbing him in their fight (although I don't know if this is under special circumstance).

Shazam has the mind of a child. He is immature and can be easily tricked and manipulated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.