Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What makes people assume Superman is perfect?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

I honestly have never understood this.

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lolzstastic

"LOLZ I BET SOOPERMAN COMICZ SUK EVEN THOOGH I'VE NEVAR RED ONE"

And so the stereotype spreads.

Funnily enough he's never been perfect. Pre-Crisis Superman was for the most part a grade-A asshole and Post-Crisis had plenty of problems of his own.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOUR SHTOOPID! SOOPERMAN IS SO PURFECT HE WOULDN'T NOT KILL AND IZ TOTALLY UNBEETABLE! HEZ TEH BEST MARVEL CHARACTER EVER!

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol the stupid stupid stereotypes.....any way i think people ignore the 'man' part of his name.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Funnily enough he's never been perfect. Pre-Crisis Superman was for the most part a grade-A asshole and Post-Crisis had plenty of problems of his own.

@lolzstastic said:

YOUR SHTOOPID! SOOPERMAN IS SO PURFECT HE WOULDN'T NOT KILL AND IZ TOTALLY UNBEETABLE! HEZ TEH BEST MARVEL CHARACTER EVER!

LOL THESE! XD

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well he is morally perfect, but its not really a problem.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SandMan_

Exactly. He is not invincible either. He gets his ass kicked on a daily basis.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lolzstastic said:

NO U SHTOOPID HEAD, BAT-MAN IZ DER BEST BCUZ HE R SO REALIZMMZ AND BAD-ASS KEWL. HE BEAT SOOPERMAN BFORE WITH KRYPTONITE OMGUNEVERREAD DARK KNIGHT RETURNS U SO N000B.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In all seriousness, people need to read that Ennis issue where Hitman meets Superman. Superman isn't infallible, he makes mistakes, he has his doubts. But in the end his sense of justice always pulls through to make the right call.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's the 1st. You don't insult your grandparents even if they insult you 1st.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By consolemaster001

This

sbomb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman isn't perfect but he's pretty close. He has incredibly strong morals, and always seems to know what to do.

To paraphrase Ralph Garman, Superman has the power of a god, and instead of absolute power corrupting him absolutely, it absolves him from being corrupted, absolves him from pettiness and cynicism. Absolves him from evil.

Superman believes in us and he is here to provide an example for humanity to aspire to. He is The Man of Tomorrow. He is Jesus, Moses, and Hercules all wrapped into one. And no matter what, Superman will always be there watching out for us.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By w0nd

His fans make him perfect, he has morals and codes that he has broken, and he feels bad about them, but when he does break them it's to show that sometimes people who seem perfect actually aren't and it's how they respond or react to the situation that defines them. INstead of acknowledging this, they just call the story PIS because superman doesn't make mistakes and he is a god with no flaws, just like batman can't lose.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@wolverine08: He is not Morally perfect, he was during the Silver Age when comics went retarded but before and since he's been shown as a man capable of moral failings, what makes him truly great is his ability to recognize those failings and try to eliminate them.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine008

@joshmightbe:

I see what you mean, Supes is kind of like Captain America when you think about it. Also, try avoid saying retarded.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe:

I understand, but calling anything retarded lessens it's seriousness.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Because they assume he's morally infallible when in fact, what makes Superman tick is his humanity. He can make mistakes but he always tries to do the right thing in the end and show us how we can strive to be better.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By jointron33

Many of whom believe Superman is perfect are insecure. That's why they gravitate towards Batman and Marvel characters. They need "heroes" who are whiny and mistake ridden so that they can feel better about themselves.

I also love how Superman is apparently too strong, and yet many who claim this would love to sniff Goku's dirty drawers.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: During the Silver Age The Adam West Batman was a spot on reproduction of what was going on in the comics, and Superman could spontaneously produce new plot convenient powers that appeared once then disappeared for ever like for instance his ability to produce miniature clones of himself, super weaving (Yes that was a thing) and Super Ventriloquism and what ever the hell else 60/70s grade drugs made the writers think up. What word would you use to describe this era?

OhItsThatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OhItsThatGuy

Why is it hard to understand? He can bench-press planets, fly faster than light, think faster than Earth's super computers, take any kind of damage, and survive almost anywhere. On top of all this, he is an incredibly handsome man that is almost universally loved and respected on his adopted home world. To the casual observer, Superman leads a perfect existence. I'm not saying he's perfect. Like Batman, he's an emotional cripple that has a hard time letting anyone in, but it's not that far-fetched to understand why many people think he's perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't read his comics think he is, he is mostly calm and collected and preaches about doing the right thing and those who don't read his comics only see those parts here and there and know he wins most battles in the end... Basically lack of knowledge by not reading the comics...

Avatar image for dtslanterncorps
    DTSLanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@lolzstastic said:

NO U SHTOOPID HEAD, BAT-MAN IZ DER BEST BCUZ HE R SO REALIZMMZ AND BAD-ASS KEWL. HE BEAT SOOPERMAN BFORE WITH KRYPTONITE OMGUNEVERREAD DARK KNIGHT RETURNS U SO N000B.

LMAO!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.