Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What is your favourite version of Superman?

• 122 results
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i like the all star- superman movie. he seemed more human and easier to relate to.

AnimePhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By AnimePhantom

Idk I like superman because hes so powerful not because of he's character he's way to lawful good for me if he was chaotic good or even true good then we could talk.

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pre crisis supes.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I have no particular favorite :p

It depends on the story I read currently.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Revising my 2 year+ old post, I'd favour All Star Superman though I like most versions of Superman, canon or Elseworld, for different reasons.

No Caption Provided

He's got the whole world in his hands, he's got the whole wide worlds in his hands...

jer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now, any Superman version prior to New 52 with the classic costume completely intact!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By SaintWildcard

I wanna see Cav-El fight Cav-Il on the big screen, after which Cav-L stops the fight

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Cloakx14
    No Caption Provided

Mos version.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Revising my 2 year+ old post, I'd favour All Star Superman though I like most versions of Superman, canon or Elseworld, for different reasons.

No Caption Provided

He's got the whole world in his hands, he's got the whole wide worlds in his hands...

I always appreciate All Star's bright optimism as a story. It definitely gets stuck in my head for many days after every reading.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Come Superman
    Kingdom Come Superman

His morality is an ispiration to us all

Correct.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quartermaim said:
    Kingdom Come Superman
    Kingdom Come Superman

Correct.

So...giving up because the world didn't liked the way he is doing things...okay.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By safefruitcake

Superman VS The Elite (animated movie)

Superman for All Seasons

Kingdome Come

Avatar image for batmanwinsbecausewhynot
    BatmanWinsBecauseWhyNot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new 52 SUIT better, but I like new earth supes best

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

I always appreciate All Star's bright optimism as a story. It definitely gets stuck in my head for many days after every reading.

Especially in times like this, All Star's upbeat depiction of the ideal Superman is meant to be strikes a real cord in me as a Superman reader and fan.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humphreytt said:
    @quartermaim said:
    Kingdom Come Superman
    Kingdom Come Superman

Correct.

So...giving up because the world didn't liked the way he is doing things...okay.

He said that he would never interfere.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
    deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved JLU Superman. World of cardboard ftw!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never said about interfering but giving up your heroic job just because humanity doesn't agree with your way of doing business is meh. Giving up was exactly what Superman shouldn't have done then. They stumbled as Jor-El would say. Like how you wouldn't give up on a child just because it made a mistake. You should try to show it why it is a mistake. Like in "Whats so funny about Truth,Justice and the American Way".

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Especially in times like this, All Star's upbeat depiction of the ideal Superman is meant to be strikes a real cord in me as a Superman reader and fan.

Well I have some good news.

Yeah, I agree. I find myself wanting more uplifting stories more and more. That's what made me think of Millar's work a couple of days back. Even his "For the Animals" is good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Well I have some good news.

Yeah, I agree. I find myself wanting more uplifting stories more and more. That's what made me think of Millar's work a couple of days back. Even his "For the Animals" is good.

Thanks for the link, I'm glad there's going to be a potential future for non New 52/Post Flashpoint characters rather than simply erasing these older characters out of existence. But I thought you didn't like Convergence? I mean really didn't like what it was and how it's been executed as a sloppy event?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

Thanks for the link, I'm glad there's going to be a potential future for non New 52/Post Flashpoint characters rather than simply erasing these older characters out of existence. But I thought you didn't like Convergence? I mean really didn't like what it was and how it's been executed as a sloppy event?

Don't get your hopes way up. After all DC will try to push the New 52 characters and considering most talent will be busy writing those. I don't feel there will be anyone left writing the rest :(

Oh I don't like Convergence as a premise or execution. Why do you ask that?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Don't get your hopes way up. After all DC will try to push the New 52 characters and considering most talent will be busy writing those. I don't feel there will be anyone left writing the rest :(

Oh I don't like Convergence as a premise or execution. Why do you ask that?

I'm definitely not naive enough to believe DC will have any plans to use Pre New 52 or other older DC characters any time soon. I'm just glad King himself confirmed that they'll survive Convergence and hopefully return to their worlds.

Just remembering your posts on the subject before I took my CV break, that's all.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By humphreytt

@squalleon: I agree with you completely. However you can see why humans might misinterpret his intentions when he changes something. He seems like a god and it just doesn't help if he suddenly starts changing human ways.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I agree with you completely. However you can see why humans might misinterpret his intentions when he changes something. He seems like a god and it just doesn't help if he suddenly starts changing human ways.

That point makes no sense on the topic though :P

He didn't get persecuted by people. He abandoned them after people preferred Joker killed by Magog. HE gave up on them.

allend4bbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By humphreytt

@humphreytt said:

That point makes no sense on the topic though :P

He didn't get persecuted by people. He abandoned them after people preferred Joker killed by Magog. HE gave up on them.

The question in the topic is who's your favourite.

And I never said that the people persecuted him I just meant that from Superman's eyes you can see why he might not carry on when people obviously prefer a different way to his. If he just said "nope you're all wrong, follow my ways" then it might come off a bit bad.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The question in the topic is who's your favourite.

And I never said that the people persecuted him I just meant that from Superman's eyes you can see why he might not carry on when people obviously prefer a different way to his. If he just said "nope you're all wrong, follow my ways" then it might come off a bit bad.

I meant your comments aren't exactly replies to what I say.

You said

this and...

...This. But I think you understand that this wasn't the situation in Kingdom Come. You implied that people prosecuted him,. misinterpreted his message and drove him away, but that was simply not the case. He was never asked to change human ways or even tried to.

Magog asked him to "pass the torch" to him. And he just flew away forever. He could just as well ignore Magog and continue do his job. He literally left because of his "pride".

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By humphreytt

@squalleon: Yes I get what you mean but my main point was that in this situation he wasn't able to overcome that 'I will always protect those in need' In other words you can kinda understand why he might have left. He felt that he couldn't persevere with all that was going on and he needed to be someone else.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Yes I get what you mean but my main point was that in this situation he wasn't able to overcome that 'I will always protect those in need' In other words you can kinda understand why he might have left. He felt that he couldn't persevere with all that was going on and he needed to be someone else.

He didn't need to overcome anything or even change his ways. He could do his job just as well as he did. Nothing obstructed him. People prefered Magog's way but instead of him trying to show them that this way is wrong...he just gave up, over silly pride.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Thats my point, 'People prefered Magog's way' Therefore he didn't interfere because who is he to say who's right and wrong?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Thats my point, 'People prefered Magog's way' Therefore he didn't interfere because who is he to say who's right and wrong?

And why did he gave up his work? He abandoned humans in their most crucial moment. He didn't "interfere" neither he was "prosecuted" or forced to change his ways, he just abandoned them over pride. Just because. Instead of showing them the better way, he left them.

Doing his job exactly like before, waiting for Magog's way to create a hole is no more interfering than what he did before.

humphreytt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I'm not saying that I personally would have done what he did but thats not the point. The reason I like this superman so much is because its the question of 'what if?' I'm not saying he's perfect just that it shows that he has 'human characteristics' if you will.

Its important to show that kind of person when creating such characters with amazing feats.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By infantfinite128

@humphreytt: @squalleon: I really appreciate this debate guys. I really had a problem with the Kingdom Come Superman portrayal and it was confused why so many people say it is THE Superman story. It's the story that "shows why Superman is the greatest fictional hero." All it did was make me think that Batman was even better of a hero.

I thought this would be the superhero approach in that circumstance:

No Caption Provided

For my answer:

John Bryne
    John Bryne

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I'm not saying that I personally would have done what he did but thats not the point. The reason I like this superman so much is because its the question of 'what if?' I'm not saying he's perfect just that it shows that he has 'human characteristics' if you will.

Its important to show that kind of person when creating such characters with amazing feats.

Meh, I disagree. You can show his humanity without showcasing negative emotions to the character. His loss of his family for example was a nice way, his romance with Wonder Woman another one. He giving up on the whole humanity for a silly reason as pride was just atrocious. Other than that the portrayal was okay.

@humphreytt: @squalleon: I really appreciate this debate guys. I really had a problem with the Kingdom Come Superman portrayal and it was confused why so many people say it is THE Superman story. It's the story that "shows why Superman is the greatest fictional hero." All it did was make me think that Batman was even better of a hero.

I thought this would be the superhero approach in that circumstance:

No Caption Provided

For my answer:

While I think that speech of Cap is kinda cheesy and it is right only because of the context (it is inane in general thinking). This is how Superman should tackle a problem like Magog. Not by giving up over silly pride. Him standing up to what he believes was the correct way.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By infantfinite128

@squalleon: Yeah, I know it only works in that context. It could also be a super villain speech!

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I like Supes from Smallville season 11. Also has the BEST version of Lois Lane, seriously shes 100 times better than new 52 Lois.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Squalleon

@azza04 said:
    No Caption Provided

I like Supes from Smallville season 11. Also has the BEST version of Lois Lane, seriously shes 100 times better than new 52 Lois.

Okay, when did Smallville Superman became so buff :P
    Is it in the future or something?

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    No Caption Provided

After the first or second volume they stopped drawing the characters with their Smallville likeness.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @squalleon said:

After the first or second volume they stopped drawing the characters with their Smallville likeness.

Oh, okay, he looks completely comicish that's why.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: i like the way they draw his cape in the comic. It sits over his shoulders like a cloak.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

@squalleon: i like the way they draw his cape in the comic. It sits over his shoulders like a cloak.

To be honest I prefer it covering the shoulders. Like in All Star Superman.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: yeah that's what I meant, definitely my favorite as well

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

No Caption Provided

Oh, okay, definitely agree. I think it looks more royal rather than a drape :P

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

No Caption Provided

Oh, okay, definitely agree. I think it looks more royal rather than a drape :P

My thoughts exactly!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

No Caption Provided

The Smallville costume is definitely my favourite iteration of the Superman suit, it's a subtle yet effective change on the Superman suit whilst evoking a classic vibe. The cape draping over his shoulders makes Superman look more regal IMO too.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By azza04

@lvenger said:
    @azza04 said:

No Caption Provided

The Smallville costume is definitely my favourite iteration of the Superman suit, it's a subtle yet effective change on the Superman suit whilst evoking a classic vibe. The cape draping over his shoulders makes Superman look more regal IMO too.

I like what they have done with the costume in the BVS: Dawn of Justice trailer. Adding the silver/gold belt to break up the blue was a good move.

No Caption Provided

I have never really been on board with the New 52 armor look, although Jim Lee and Tony Daniel draw it ok.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @lvenger said:

I like what they have done with the costume in the BVS: Dawn of Justice trailer. Adding the silver/gold belt to break up the blue was a good move.

I have never really been on board with the New 52 armor look, although Jim Lee and Tony Daniel draw it ok.

For me still nothing beats the classic. I don't know but I don't consider the briefs to be silly. I think they break the monotone of the blue and no suit since has managed to fix that.
    Plus Superman needs a yellow belt imo, not a red one :P

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @lvenger said:

For me still nothing beats the classic. I don't know but I don't consider the briefs to be silly. I think they break the monotone of the blue and no suit since has managed to fix that.

I can get nostalgic for some elements of classic Superman but the briefs aren't one of them :)

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Superman of New 52 and the Superman pre new 52, the second by the memories that I have of him.

And Clark Kent of Smallville.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @squalleon said:

I can get nostalgic for some elements of classic Superman but the briefs aren't one of them :)

Yeah, I don't know why people hate them still :P No suit has looked as good as the classic imo. Until there is a suit that can break the monotone blue in the waist and crotch area, the classic will still be the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.