Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What is the best current Superman series so far?

• 88 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Edited By Lvenger

Poll What is the best current Superman series so far? (73 votes)

Action Comics 12%
    Superman 10%
    Superman Unchained 38%
    Batman/Superman 18%
    Smallville: Season 11 7%
    Adventures of Superman 15%

Since a poll has been set up in the Batman forums on this issue, I thought I'd make a hopefully well debated and well chosen (even with subjective views, most people on here have good taste in comics) poll on what the Vine's favourite current Superman series is. I haven't included Justice League as that's a team book and comprises of the sum of its parts. Superman is only one player in that title. And I also haven't included Injustice: Gods Among Us because for me, though Superman is a main character in that series, it's more about tying into the game universe and filling in those gaps rather than a strict Superman series. But if you think it should be in here and can give good enough reasons, I might be willing to put it in. So here's a reminder of the contenders:

• 
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Oh of course Mahnke has his shining moments but I would prefer Frank (I'm scared of telling Lvenger about this idea because he might explode)

What did you say I can't remember *wink wink nudge nudge*

Oh don't you worry, I'm sure he'll take a look see and jump with joy, except for maybe the Tom Taylor part as I remember him disliking the premise of Injustice.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

Oh of course Mahnke has his shining moments but I would prefer Frank (I'm scared of telling Lvenger about this idea because he might explode)

What did you say I can't remember *wink wink nudge nudge*

Oh don't you worry, I'm sure he'll take a look see and jump with joy, except for maybe the Tom Taylor part as I remember him disliking the premise of Injustice.

I did also alot actually but as I read the book it turned me around.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indeed! I wasn't the biggest fan of the premise at first either but it really sold me over!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indeed! I wasn't the biggest fan of the premise at first either but it really sold me over!

Not suprised most Superman fans were not happy about the premise (which we pretty much just laid out) and as you and I have said it won us over because Taylor is amazing. Maybe if we strap Lvenger to an electric chair and make him like it he'll turn around....wait that sounds pretty evil...scratch that.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So Unchained is a confirmed ongoing? with Scott Snyder at the helm for a long time? that's dope... i vote that.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Deranged Midget

Not suprised most Superman fans were not happy about the premise (which we pretty much just laid out) and as you and I have said it won us over because Taylor is amazing. Maybe if we strap Lvenger to an electric chair and make him like it he'll turn around....wait that sounds pretty evil...scratch that.

I can't agree more. A basic view of the premise can give away a bleak and poor look at what the series might be about but that would be horribly wrong if someone chose to believe that. This series has an incredible amount of depth and it truly shows in the variety of events that partake each week.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't agree more. A basic view of the premise can give away a bleak and poor look at what the series might be about but that would be horribly wrong if someone chose to believe that. This series has an incredible amount of depth and it truly shows in the variety of events that partake each week.

Once Again I couldn't agree more and I couldn't have said it better myself. I love the book so much I buy both the print and digital issues might buy the collections(Hardcovers, Trades etc)...still debating might not but we'll see.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this thread just goes to show that not nearly enough people have even tried Smallville Season 11

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't read all the titles but I have to say, I am really enjoying Superman Unchained. I voted for that (and it's in the lead) but bear in mind, I have a lot of catching up to do with the others.

How difficult would it be for someone as new as me to the character to start reading Smallville? (this is aimed at @danhimself). Where would a good jumping point be?

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smallville Season 11. Love it so, so much.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

I don't read all the titles but I have to say, I am really enjoying Superman Unchained. I voted for that (and it's in the lead) but bear in mind, I have a lot of catching up to do with the others.

How difficult would it be for someone as new as me to the character to start reading Smallville? (this is aimed at @danhimself). Where would a good jumping point be?

I believe that tomorrow's digital issue is the last of the Olympus arc or it could be the last of the Hollow arc...once those two arcs are done then I would say that would be a good place...though I can't recommend enough that you start at the beginning...the first two trades are out now that would put you up to the end of the Detective arc which is currently the midway point for the printed issues...then there's only 8 issues left and you're all but caught up to the digital series

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By lykopis

@danhimself:

Thanks so much!

I think I'll aim for the beginning like you suggested. Better be good or I am going to hound you. ;p

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't read Unchained yet, but Adventures of Superman is really cool.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Lvenger

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: The title is under the Superman Family Banner alongside the rest of the Superman titles so from my POV, that counts as a Superman title. Now what am I going to explode about? :P

@danhimself So even the less stellar stories have good character work. And no I haven't read his Batgirl series. Steph never interested me that much I'm afraid though I hear it's a good series

@k4tzm4n

Lol jokes I hear Injustice 30 showed a more accurate take from Taylor on a more classic Superman. But to me, it's still more of a general DC book that ties into the video game than a straight up Superman book. Because Superman is, you know, a grim utilitarian now in that series.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: I do think Taylor's a good writer but the premise of Injustice isn't one I can buy into. You know how I am on Man of Steel so a book where Superman goes full on tyrant mode, even with Taylor's writing, isn't one I can buy into. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to Superman and I'm not too fond of him being portrayed like that. But I'd love to see Taylor on a more classic Superman book and it'd be great if he replaced Lobdell on Superman.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By toptom

why there isn't injustice?? if it was there,that was my number one without hesitation. Now i have to choose between Superman Unchained or Batman/Superman....aaand i still can't decide. However they are extremely close to the top.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toptom said:

why there isn't injustice?? if it was there,that was my number one without hesitation. Now i have to choose between Superman Unchained or Batman/Superman....aaand i still can't decide. However they are extremely close to the top.

See this part of my poll post: "And I also haven't included Injustice: Gods Among Us because for me, though Superman is a main character in that series, it's more about tying into the game universe and filling in those gaps rather than a strict Superman series. But if you think it should be in here and can give good enough reasons, I might be willing to put it in."

In essence, I don't consider it a strictly Superman series as it ties into the game universe and fills in the gaps.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

tie between superman and unchained , both recent issues were pretty good

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: yes it ties with the game but anybody can read it even without knowing the game at all.It has its own good values in se. I believe it has to be included, since it isn't part of the main continuity just like Smalville or Adventures of Superman. Not to mention that Injustice is one of the best else-world stories i have read.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Lvenger

@toptom: The difference between them and Injustice is that Smallville and Adventures of Superman have a much more Superman related focus on the stories. Whereas Injustice, whilst having Superman as a main character, tells a much broader story than a mere Superman story. And we'll have to differ on opinions since I don't buy into the premise at all.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Deranged Midget

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget: I do think Taylor's a good writer but the premise of Injustice isn't one I can buy into. You know how I am on Man of Steel so a book where Superman goes full on tyrant mode, even with Taylor's writing, isn't one I can buy into. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to Superman and I'm not too fond of him being portrayed like that. But I'd love to see Taylor on a more classic Superman book and it'd be great if he replaced Lobdell on Superman.

I completely understand where you are coming from but I think it's a tad bit unfair to just toss it off. I'm going to go and foolishly assume that you haven't read much at all regarding Injustice aside from enough to justify your reasoning to avoid the title? I really would hope you would give it a shot somewhere down the line. It truly is a great title despite having a different take on the character.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Lvenger

I completely understand where you are coming from but I think it's a tad bit unfair to just toss it off. I'm going to go and foolishly assume that you haven't read much at all regarding Injustice aside from enough to justify your reasoning to avoid the title? I really would hope you would give it a shot somewhere down the line. It truly is a great title despite having a different take on the character.

Sorry but I've read some synopses for it and I just can't buy into it at all. I don't like a Superman that acts the way Taylor depicts him. No matter how good the story, if I'm not into the characters, I don't enjoy reading it. So I'm afraid I'll have to put my foot down here since this is a bottom line criterion when I want to buy a comic :P

LimboBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unchained. And i'm Glad superman Developed a Temper, makes him more human.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Sorry but I've read some synopses for it and I just can't buy into it at all. I don't like a Superman that acts the way Taylor depicts him. No matter how good the story, if I'm not into the characters, I don't enjoy reading it. So I'm afraid I'll have to put my foot down here since this is a bottom line criterion when I want to buy a comic :P

Listen, I know it's hard to accept your favourite character jumping a bit overboard into the deep end, I felt the same way but I like to see it as expanding the horizons. It doesn't really spoil your views on the character as it really doesn't affect the cannon. It's just an intriguing proposition or a "what-if" that tells a story on separate sides of the same coin. Truthfully, opening up those restrictive boundaries was a little refreshing as a reader and a fan because it showcased different perspectives which will never be seen otherwise. It's something that really shouldn't be taken so heavily and honestly, a basic glance doesn't really do the full product justice.

In the end, it is your preference and your choice though and I do understand your reasoning and respect it at the same time. I just thought I'd share my thoughts and feelings going into a series like this where it might feel like my favourite super hero seems to be entirely compromised.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lvenger

Listen, I know it's hard to accept your favourite character jumping a bit overboard into the deep end, I felt the same way but I like to see it as expanding the horizons. It doesn't really spoil your views on the character as it really doesn't affect the cannon. It's just an intriguing proposition or a "what-if" that tells a story on separate sides of the same coin. Truthfully, opening up those restrictive boundaries was a little refreshing as a reader and a fan because it showcased different perspectives which will never be seen otherwise. It's something that really shouldn't be taken so heavily and honestly, a basic glance doesn't really do the full product justice.

In the end, it is your preference and your choice though and I do understand your reasoning and respect it at the same time. I just thought I'd share my thoughts and feelings going into a series like this where it might feel like my favourite super hero seems to be entirely compromised.

I know where you're coming from and this is an Elseworld's tale. But given that Superman has killed 3 times across alternate media this year, on his 75th anniversary no less, I don't find the idea of reading about a tyrannical Superman appealing. If I want to read Superman, I read a proper Superman comic. I don't enjoy it at all when my favourite character acts like something he's not and I've seen what he acts like in Injustice and it's not to my tastes whatsoever.

So thank you for making a damn good case for Injustice mate but as you said, it's personal preference at the end of the day and my personal preference would be to not read a book where Superman acts wholly out of character. Besides, going to uni means I have to cut my pull list down to 4 comics and the ones I am reading are damn fine comics IMO.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: I don't fear for my safety at all lol...I still believe that it's the best the character has been written since even before Flashpoint

@lvenger the crappy thing about that arc was that it dealt with Lana....the good thing about that arc was that it dealt with Lana lol...I don't know if you watched the show but by the time they finally wrote off Lana once and for all she was the most hated character on the show but it was kind of nice to see where she was and Miller really redeemed the character

I had absolutely no interest in Stephanie before that series and it really pi$$ed me off that she was taking the mantle from my favorite Batgirl and one of my favorite characters of all time but that series remains one of my favorite books...it's written so well from beginning to end and really changed a lot of fans perceptions of the character...I mean if you look at the forums from before the book Stephanie was pretty much universally hated but now she's one of the DC's most requested missing characters

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've read the first three print issues of Adventures of Superman and really loved em. Batman/Superman and Superman Unchained have been good too.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@jldoom said:

I have to agree that Tom Taylor would make an amazing Superman writer, Injustice #30 definitely proves that.

This

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Lvenger

@danhimself: I've seen the arc and it does go a way to reinvent Lana for the better this time around. I still don't get why Metallo suddenly acted evil again though. And I did watch the show, all the way through. My mum and I always complained about how much of a wet sop Lana was as portrayed by Kristin Kruerk.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@danhimself: I've seen the arc and it does go a way to reinvent Lana for the better this time around. I still don't get why Metallo suddenly acted evil again though. And I did watch the show, all the way through. My mum and I always complained about how much of a wet sop Lana was as portrayed by Kristin Kruerk.

I don't remember much about his final appearance on the show but it says on his wiki that after Lois gave him the red kryptonite heart that it didn't work and he somehow got a new green heart and became a gun for hire working for the Toyman

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

I don't remember much about his final appearance on the show but it says on his wiki that after Lois gave him the red kryptonite heart that it didn't work and he somehow got a new green heart and became a gun for hire working for the Toyman

Well that's strange. Ah well only a minor flaw really.

And it looks like Unchained is in the lead. I'd have thought Action Comics would be but I guess Scott Snyder and Jim Lee are pulling in the votes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: The title is under the Superman Family Banner alongside the rest of the Superman titles so from my POV, that counts as a Superman title. Now what am I going to explode about? :P

I guess but still :/ I'm not complaining I love the book. Heh my pick for the next creative team on Superman once Lobdell leaves. Tom Taylor and Gary Frank as the new creative team for Superman!!! I would try and convince you to read Injustice but I can see you're set not to read it but I think you should at least try the first trade and if you can't get past the first issue then just give it to a freind or something it's a fantastic book Superman is not portraye as evil or a tryant his actions seem justifiable and here are 2 big Superman fans telling you that they hated the premis of the title just as much as you did yet when we tried it and gave it a shot we loved it. And @deranged_midget you tried I give you props for trying to convince Lvenger to check it out :) Here at least read Injustice issue 30 it's a story from the past about Superman (who is in his classic suit) and it feels exactly like Pre 52 Superman it's just about this kid remembering the time he met Superman and how much he's changed since then it's the best issue in the series so far and it's only a buck

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well I voted for unchained. I started off with Batman/Superman as I was drawn in by the incredible art and somewhat different story line, but have found it increasingly hard to follow!. Unchained is more what I look for in a Superman story. Plenty of action, big stunts and feats of strength by "big blue" and a bad guy you really wanna hate, which General Lane, certainly is just now. Oh and Wraith is something different. Someone with similar power base to Superman but just way more powerful. He certainly isn't a doomsday clone from what I can see.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Deranged Midget

Yeah, Smallville Season 11 is creeping up quickly on my list. Pretty darn fun title.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Unchained Snyder really knows how to capture Supes. Also batman/superman is also pretty awesome

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Its so hard to chose, I only give the edge to Batman/Superman cus it already has given 2 more wins to Superman in the Batman vs Superman debate. and I get double the Superman, plus I like old Clark schooling new Clark. Not that I hate new 52 Superman I just find if fun. I love the art in Superman and the story in Unchained.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Smallville is by far the best, followed by Batman/Superman.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unchained is the best for me

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.